Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Superion's chest is a loving concorde and Bruticus has an arm that's a goddamn space shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has any combiner made sense scale-wise? Better yet, has anyone drawn one with all the vehicles in proper scale?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
train combiners, construction vehicle combiners, car combiners
I think in combiners big vehicles can scale down in other modes to match smaller ones but somehow small vehicles scaling up is what's seen as weird..

If defensor had a different combination scheme other than scramble city then groove could be something other than a leg but we're not doing that because g1.

Except for that upcoming millitary minicon combiner. What the gently caress is up with that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those three Minicon planes that combined into a sword were totally in scale!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Except for that upcoming millitary minicon combiner. What the gently caress is up with that?

No poo poo, I've been dyin' to know more about that. It didn't even have a nametag, they just... put it out there. It looked good enough to make me wish for a whole subline of legends 3-pack combiner dudes.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Cybertronian combiners (including cybertronian versions of earth based teams) eliminate scale issues altogether.

Blackheart posted:

No poo poo, I've been dyin' to know more about that. It didn't even have a nametag, they just... put it out there. It looked good enough to make me wish for a whole subline of legends 3-pack combiner dudes.

God I would love that. PCC could have been so much fun.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

catch22 posted:

God I would love that. PCC could have been so much fun.

They're still kinda fun to me, and they're gonna be even better once I can get Maketoys' Mobine armor! (supposedly BBTS will finally get them this month)

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 9, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Superion's chest is a loving concorde and Bruticus has an arm that's a goddamn space shuttle.

Superion's actually the one combiner that makes scale sense, when you consider it. Most of the jet limbs are similar sizes (the F-16 is kind of a runt, but not ridicuously so), and the chest jet is a massive airliner.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

Superion's actually the one combiner that makes scale sense, when you consider it. Most of the jet limbs are similar sizes (the F-16 is kind of a runt, but not ridicuously so), and the chest jet is a massive airliner.

I think he's still a little small for a concorde though, right?

Motormaster is a little small compared to the rest of the stunticons, too. Blast Off should be bigger than the rest of the combaticons combined.

Scale is just hosed up period. Motormaster should be roughly the same size as Optimus, but he's small enough so you could probably fit four of him in his trailer. Combiners are supposed to be huge, but "normal" guys like Blaster and Shockwave are the same sizer or bigger.

It's best not to think about it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I don't mean the scale of the actual toys themselves (in which case yeah, Silverbolt is massively smaller), but the concept itself.

"Motorcycle leg/helicopter arm" obviously works badly, as does "jeep leg next to tank leg on truck body with space shuttle arm".

Menasor could work well in concept too, but he'd be about 1/3rd the size of Superion.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Has any combiner made sense scale-wise?

Pirahnacon, Abominus, Predaking. :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Devastator (either G1 or movie) makes good scale, as almost every type of vehicle is available in a very very wide range of sizes.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I would love to see some artist's rendition of the more ridiculous scaling issues of the TF universe, combiners or otherwise, that tries to be as accurate as possible.

Bruticus just dragging his enormous God Hand along through the earth, etc.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Blackheart posted:

"gently caress scale" was, and will always be, the answer to every combiner.

The more I think about it, that makes things much easier.

Captain Magic posted:

I would love to see some artist's rendition of the more ridiculous scaling issues of the TF universe, combiners or otherwise, that tries to be as accurate as possible.

Bruticus just dragging his enormous God Hand along through the earth, etc.

I almost want to save some money and get that commissioned by someone, cause that would be the best picture ever.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Everyone go to TFCon next year, it's July 11-13 and also approximately 2.5x more fun than BotCon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Am I allowed to go if I tell people they're being embarrassments to humanity?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hourlong interview with James Roberts about MTMTE, if you're interested- http://fullmetalhero.podbean.com/2013/08/12/special-episode-1-an-interview-with-james-roberts/

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

Canadians are very polite and will welcome all valid criticisms, Americans may engage you both physically and verbally. YMMV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

strangehamster posted:

Canadians are very polite and will welcome all valid criticisms, Americans may engage you both physically and verbally. YMMV.

Bloody upstart colonials.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

The_Doctor posted:

Yes. You just need to have it coincide with a junk punch while wearing hulk hands.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yes. You just need to have it coincide with a junk punch while wearing hulk hands.

I have a 12" handspan. I already have Hulk hands. :)

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

I have a 12" handspan. I already have Hulk hands. :)

Save your shillings and get your freakish hulk hands to Toronto.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Joking aside I think you'll be legitimately disappointed if you hit tfcon expecting a proper freakshow. The con was very laid back and most of the people were normal looking.

You'd be better off going to a magic tournament, or just a walmart in that bizarre american state you half-live in, if you're looking for the shame of humanity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

or just a walmart in that bizarre american state you half-live in, if you're looking for the shame of humanity.

:saddowns:

I'd be more annoyed if that wasn't true.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TFCon has a very low amount of BO, too. Way less gross human stink than your average con, and in the hallway in the morning its so tight it's like you're in the middle of a mosh pit, so I guess the Canadians are simply just a more cleanly species. If you wanna go gross nerd sightseeing, you're probably better off at a local anime con or videogame tournament. Then there's furry cons and brony cons, but yeah I'm not brave enough for that, man.

Don't get me wrong, there's weirdos for sure, but a lot of Transformers fans are actually pretty normal, at least compared to a lot of other fandoms.

Basically TFCon is sort of like a big drunken party that's 3 days long and also has robots. And a waterslide. And the cast of Preorder 66 blackout drunk.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

And we mean loving BLACKOUT drunk, I've never been that loving hungover. I remember falling out of bed Saturday morning, crawling into the washroom, downing a fistfull of tylenol and standing under the shower until the throbbing in my head stopped.

Then I got into line so I could get the Glacialords.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically TFCon is sort of like a big drunken party that's 3 days long and also has robots. And a waterslide.

There were lots of giiiiiirrrrrrlllls there, and people were buying/selling/trading/transforming toys, and the bar served nachos!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rei_ posted:

And we mean loving BLACKOUT drunk, I've never been that loving hungover. I remember falling out of bed Saturday morning, crawling into the washroom, downing a fistfull of tylenol and standing under the shower until the throbbing in my head stopped.

Did you get all three? Virus? Do you like them? Did you put a couple scramble city guys in place to make a combiner? I was/am way broke during/after that trip or I would have gone to FPC/3&Up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, he's absolutely fantastic, it's a very cool attempt at creating a 'new' G1 Transformer (Also, he's clearly a colour-palette homage to Computron) I ramble about him on the TFCon WTF podcast in more detail though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

Transformers thread PSA time: Please take ibuprofen or aspirin after heroic drinking. One or two tylenol is probably safe, but too much can literally kill your liver, if it's already overworked trying to process lots of booze. That is a real thing that people die from.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Speaking of the Glacial Lords, has there been any word from Fansproject as to when they'll be available for Preorder? Or the Not-Motormaster? I thought they'd be up by now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
FP has been totally silent on Not-Motormaster and when he will be up for preorder. Price is not official, either, although most people seem to be pretty confident it's $120.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Phy posted:

Transformers thread PSA time: Please take ibuprofen or aspirin after heroic drinking. One or two tylenol is probably safe, but too much can literally kill your liver, if it's already overworked trying to process lots of booze. That is a real thing that people die from.

By fistfull I meant like, 3, but this is actually seriously really good advice! :stare:

As for the rest of the Glacialords, i dunno man, a lot of poo poo got delayed recently. I think production costs in China have been skyrocketing.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 10, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Water is the best thing you can do for a hangover. :colbert:

Drink a pint of water before you go to sleep, and then another pint when you wake up. It'll deal with the dehydration that makes up most of a hangover. Trust me, I'm the Doctor. :smug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You don't want to be the guy who died at TFCon. Or maybe you do, because then your legend will live on forever! Every year people will be like "this con is so hardcore A GUY loving DIED ONCE."

I almost did die though, because one of my roommates was a nice guy and all, but lived all his life in Northern Ontario and wasn't used to city driving, so he turned left at a stoplight when there were cars coming at us TWICE. I was on the passenger's side and was mere seconds away from instant death and screamed like a little girl both times. My life flashed before my eyes!

You know, there was a time when I wished that every day was either TFCon, Halloween or Christmas, but then I realized that it eventually has to stop or else we would all die from a lack of sleep, malnutrition, alcohol poisoning, trying to do something really stupid, or a mixture of all of the above.

I tell you what though, if I get sick before the con and have to spend half of it in bed again next year I'm gonna be fuckin' pissed.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 10, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Keldroc posted:

FP has been totally silent on Not-Motormaster and when he will be up for preorder. Price is not official, either, although most people seem to be pretty confident it's $120.

It is slightly worrying, but at the same time I am a little relieved. I'm still missing a couple bots and 120 ain't chump change :ohdear:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The big rumor I keep hearing is late November he will actually be available. If that's the case it is still odd they haven't solicited preorders.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Have they shown any decent painted pics of him in all modes yet?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was just thinking about him recently too, as he was supposed to be released in September initially. Still waiting on that Weirdwolf, too. GOD he looks loving sweet.

Speaking about waiting, I ordered a Maketoys Paladin\Chaos from Captured Prey in December. DECEMBER. I know it's not CP's fault - they got screwed and are bending over backwards to make it better, but I saw a bunch of people with them at TFCon so what the gently caress, Maketoys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Out of curiosity, was A3+ the only dealer selling them?