Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Putin continues to troll the everliving poo poo out of the US, I guess. I can't even think of a metaphor or simile or analogy to describe this any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW
Ambassador Rice has now turned her Syria speech into an "Iran must not have nukes" thing.

What is going on? Does anyone take this seriously?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

Ambassador Rice has now turned her Syria speech into an "Iran must not have nukes" thing.

And now she's going on about North Korea? Don't mean to TVIV this but it started out with her making her case fairly clearly and has just gone on and on into some strange ramble that keeps repeating itself.

e: I liked that pause after she talked about the measures they and their allies were taking to stop Iran getting nukes, so you could mentally fill in "and covertly assassinating Iranian scientists"

The New Black fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 9, 2013

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
"Energy security", ding ding!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is Rice going on about?! She's literally going "we have to bomb because video also parents also Iran"

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.people-press.org/2013/09/09/opposition-to-syrian-airstrikes-surges/

quote:

Over just the past week, the share of Americans who oppose U.S. airstrikes in Syria has surged 15 points, from 48% to 63%, as many who were undecided about the issue have turned against military action. By contrast, the share of Americans who support airstrikes remains virtually unchanged: Just 28% favor U.S. military airstrikes against Syria in response to reports that its government used chemical weapons.

The new survey by the Pew Research Center and USA TODAY, conducted Sept. 4-8, 2013 among 1,506 adults nationwide, finds that this growing opposition to Syrian airstrikes is intense: 45% say they oppose airstrikes very strongly. That is roughly three-times the percentage (16%) that strongly favors airstrikes.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Looking away from Rice's weird presser for a second, could anyone point me toward a summary of what's going on with the Kurds in Syria? I heard that they were basically a third side in the war a while back, and reading around on wikipedia suggests they're mostly fighting with al-Nusra rather than government forces, but I have no idea if that's accurate. Are they trying to form their own state, or is it more about just keeping the rebel/government fighting away from their region?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

Perhaps it's some sort of clever joke about how if Syria is willing to give up their chemical weapons, it will be received as warmly as Iran's willingness to give up enriching uranium :v:

e: beaten like an idiot

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 9, 2013

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's becoming pretty clear that there isn't any actual philosophy behind Obama's foreign policy and that everything has just been responding to any situation with a crisis management sort of approach. Minimize the damage, make it go away and make it look like we did the right thing. Only it's now all catching up with them and piling up in an ugly car crash of rhetoric. And now from a State Department spokeswoman we have this gem.

quote:

Harf, the state department spokeswoman, underscores US skepticism of the talk coming out of Moscow and Damascus about a new quarantine of Syrian chemical weapons. "All we've heard today are statements from Russians and Syrians who've lied for the last two years..." Harf says.

Quickly someone pound on the reset/overload button!

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW
Shout out to Pyongyang and Israel and Palestine, this is really all about Iran's nukes because as an ally of Syria they are in fact responsible for Assad's use of chemical weapons.

I'm actually sort of speechless. Not only is this less competent than Bush-era SADDAM'S WMDS, it's borderline incoherent. As if Rice picked up a PNAC talking point binder with the bulk of the pages missing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Darth123123 posted:

"Energy security", ding ding!

How dare you imply that the US' interest in this situation is anything more than pure and true concern for the civilians of Syria. I mean, how dare you imply that this situation is not a lucky confluence of Syrian citizens' interests and the US' national interests. Err, how dare you imply that this is about oil instead weapons of mass destruction.

Sorry, I can't keep up with the talking points slippage any more.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
This seems like a victory for Obama to me. The narrative being "US flexes muscles and Syria gets scared, drops the chemical weapons and runs to Putin for protection."

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Miltank posted:

This seems like a victory for Obama to me. The narrative being "US flexes muscles and Syria gets scared, drops the chemical weapons and runs to Putin for protection."

They're grabbing defeat from the grasp of victory here. Back to the Guardian's liveblog...

quote:

AP's Matt Lee is grilling US state department spokeswoman Marie Harf the Russian / Syrian talk of moving Assad's chemical weapons under international control.

"Is a strike appropriate, even if they put this under international control?" Lee asks.

Harf says that's a hypothetical situation she cannot comment on.

"We're going to look at what's on the table... we believe a military response is appropriate," Harf says. "We can be sure that if we don't authorize this action, Assad will see this as a green light."

Then she says the US is leery of a "stalling exercise."

We don't want this to be another stalling exercise, and we have serious skepticism about the Assad regime [willingness] to get rid of their chemical weapons.

Then she implies the US is taking the offer seriously:

"We'll take a hard look at it... but what we're focused on ... is working with Congress to get this authorized."

Reporters in the room note that Britain and members of Congress have come out and said the new idea is a good idea.

Harf says the new proposal doesn't change the need for military authorization:

"What we believe is crystal clear is that this proposal is only taking place in that context, under threat of military action."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can only hope that Obama bows out and accepts this initiative, with a speech about how the threat of force lead to actual successful diplomacy and the standard against chemical weapons use was upheld or something. This is beyond embarrassing.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

Paul MaudDib posted:

How dare you imply that the US' interest in this situation is anything more than pure and true concern for the civilians of Syria. I mean, how dare you imply that this situation is not a lucky confluence of Syrian citizens' interests and the US' national interests. Err, how dare you imply that this is about oil instead weapons of mass destruction.

It's the new Susan Rice Pipeline Investment Extravaganza!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean really, what a incredibly lovely thing to say. Why bring that up AT ALL!? "Yeah, I know kids are puking their lungs out, but my Camero needs petro ASAP." Completely unnecessary and really naive. I'm astonished at how bad they look, and am actually scared they won't back down. "Nope, don't believe you Asaad, incoming anyways."

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think this Russian incentive is actually a pretty great solution for all except the reputation of the Obama administration's foreign policy. Hopefully no more cw usage, Russia and Syria looking like obvious liars and the idea of diplomatic solutions not being totally dead. All the while the average Syrian will still have the same lovely time as he would otherwise, but he might not die to nerve gas in a bombshelter.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Torrannor posted:

I can only hope that Obama bows out and accepts this initiative, with a speech about how the threat of force lead to actual successful diplomacy and the standard against chemical weapons use was upheld or something. This is beyond embarrassing.

It's really not enough, you have to bring the people responsible to justice. It'd be ridiculous if the international community allowed a government to gas over a thousand civilians, then just say 'oops we promise not to do it again' and keep going as if nothing ever happened.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I've never been impressed with Rice, so maybe I'm not a good judge of this, but I don't think she has much of a future if this deal goes down and strikes don't happen. I mean, a bad UN speech sunk Colin Powell, a guy with a lot more accomplished and with a much more sympathetic rationale. I can't imagine Rice is going to get much work after this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Darth123123 posted:

I mean really, what a incredibly lovely thing to say. Why bring that up AT ALL!? "Yeah, I know kids are puking their lungs out, but my Camero needs petro ASAP." Completely unnecessary and really naive. I'm astonished at how bad they look, and am actually scared they won't back down. "Nope, don't believe you Asaad, incoming anyways."

Did Biden scribble some stuff on the speech before it was given or something?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Was Susan Rice the one who brought up domestic politics in reference to Rwanda or am I thinking of someone else?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Yes.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

Xandu posted:

Was Susan Rice the one who brought up domestic politics in reference to Rwanda or am I thinking of someone else?

"If we use the word 'genocide' and are seen as doing nothing, what will be the effect on the November election?"

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Nenonen posted:

It'd be ridiculous if the international community allowed a government to gas over a thousand civilians, then just say 'oops we promise not to do it again' and keep going as if nothing ever happened.

Oh you mean like all the times the "international community" did just that?

The Newman
Oct 17, 2003
unconstructive critic
Amazing, a diplomatic solution is possible, despite the steady drumbeats of war insisting otherwise. Can Obama accept this solution without being branded Pro-assad by the hawks within his party this thread? Stay tuned to find out.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that anyone who uses chemical or biological weapons against the US will get nuked in response. That's not something that's really in question either given that it's been the stated position of the US since 75 when it signed onto the Geneva Protocol and started destroying all it's chemical and biological weapon stockpiles.

Uh, no, that is not currently the stated position of the United States.

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier, but here it is again:
http://www.defense.gov/npr/docs/2010%20nuclear%20posture%20review%20report.pdf

The US Nuclear Posture Review posted:

During the Cold War, the United States reserved the right to use nuclear weapons in response to a massive conventional attack by the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies. Moreover, after the United States gave up its own chemical and biological weapons (CBW) pursuant to international treaties (while some states continue to possess or pursue them), it reserved the right to employ nuclear weapons to deter CBW attack on the United States and its allies and partners.

Since the end of the Cold War, the strategic situation has changed in fundamental ways. With the advent of U.S. conventional military preeminence and continued improvements in U.S. missile defenses and capabilities to counter and mitigate the effects of CBW, the role of U.S. nuclear weapons in deterring non-nuclear attacks – conventional, biological, or chemical – has declined significantly. The United States will continue to reduce the role of nuclear weapons in deterring non-nuclear attacks.

To that end, the United States is now prepared to strengthen its long-standing “negative security assurance” by declaring that the United States will not use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapons states that are party to the NPT and in compliance with their nuclear non-proliferation obligations.

This revised assurance is intended to underscore the security benefits of adhering to and fully complying with the NPT and persuade non-nuclear weapon states party to the Treaty to work with the United States and other interested parties to adopt effective measures to strengthen the non-proliferation regime.

In making this strengthened assurance, the United States affirms that any state eligible for the assurance that uses chemical or biological weapons against the United States or its allies and partners would face the prospect of a devastating conventional military response – and that any individuals responsible for the attack, whether national leaders or military commanders, would be held fully accountable. Given the catastrophic potential of biological weapons and the rapid pace of bio-technology development, the United States reserves the right to make any adjustment in the assurance that may be warranted by the evolution and proliferation of the biological weapons threat and U.S. capacities to counter that threat.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sectoidman posted:

Uh, no, that is not currently the stated position of the United States.

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier, but here it is again:
http://www.defense.gov/npr/docs/2010%20nuclear%20posture%20review%20report.pdf

Well that is a relief. Thank you for the info. Nukes seemed extremely disproportionate.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

quote:

Given the catastrophic potential of biological weapons and the rapid pace of bio-technology development, the United States reserves the right to make any adjustment in the assurance that may be warranted by the evolution and proliferation of the biological weapons threat and U.S. capacities to counter that threat.

This last line sounds like an insurance policy that if someone attacks with a bio/chem weapon devastating enough the US reserves the right to nuke them. Or am I not reading this correctly?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
This move is a diplomatic move by Syria. Diplomatic solutions to crises are always a last resort by the Syrian government when faced by outside pressure, and are seen as a defeat. This was probably formulated by Walid Muallem , the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Lebanon 2005 is probably the best parallel we can draw to the current situation. Back then Syria averted outside intervention, but at the cost of it's withdrawal from Lebanon and it's isolation from the world stage. As always a situation that was engineered by the Mukhabarat failed, and was promptly handed over to the 'civilians' to be sorted out. This is a shrewd diplomatic move by the Syrians and Russians with some surgical timing, but it is still a defeat.
The fact that the Syrians were forced into such a position is a defeat, and we will most probably be seeing some suicides via multiple gunshots in the coming weeks or months, or even car-bombs or such against longstanding leaders of the Mukhabarat or Army. Somebody will be scapegoated.

But the utterly dismal reaction by the Obama administration is just... awful. They really have snapped defeat from the jaws of victory. This is awful. They have successfully painted themselves into a corner where they have been outplayed by every single person in the world.
They should push for the plan, not sabotage it, and call the regime's bluff. This is one situation where the regime will be forced into allowing foreign inspectors into it's military areas, a long standing no-no. They've sabotaged themselves, and I'm skeptical that they have the sensibility to get back on track.

Note that the solution is one that does not lead to anything but a defeat of Obama's call for intervention. It solves none of Syria's problems, and only lengthens the conflict and strengthens the regime's position by allowing the anti-rebel crowd in the west push the narrative that we now have nothing more to do with Syria.

Muffiner fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 9, 2013

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I don't think there is any way for Obama to take the deal simply from a beltway perspective, he has already double down on Assad. It is smart for Russia and Assad to pull this off at exactly the worse time for Obama, potentially dividing congress even more when he was already having difficulty finding votes.

I do have to say the foreign policy of this administration has been completely reactive with little vision beyond being more aggressive about nuclear disarmament.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
How is Russia securing CW not an ideal solution?

We don't have to get involved, and CW "secured" from use.

Obviously if they get used again there will be big questions, but this should be considered a diplomatic win for any sane person (because any punishment NATO doles out isn't going to be the reason Syrian Republican Guard stops the use of CW).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Russian Bear posted:

This last line sounds like an insurance policy that if someone attacks with a bio/chem weapon devastating enough the US reserves the right to nuke them. Or am I not reading this correctly?

Nothing in that statement mentions chemical weapons at all.

As for the rest, you're heavily misreading it. What it's saying is that if we really get into a total-war kinda situation where half the US is dead from weaponized Ebola or something then all bets are off. But even if they didn't put that it's pretty stupid to think that they would abide by those kind of pre-war statements if we were losing World War 3 anyway.

It's not saying that if someone manages to knock off a thousand US troops that we're gonna let fly with nukes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Press Secretary Carney is giving a more positive statement on the Russian idea

quote:

Q: Has the admin exhausted all diplomatic options with Syria?
Carney: Well, we like this new Kerry-Russia idea and "are going to study it."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

c0ldfuse posted:

We don't have to get involved, and CW "secured" from use.

Obviously if they get used again there will be big questions, but this should be considered a diplomatic win for any sane person (because any punishment NATO doles out isn't going to be the reason Syrian Republican Guard stops the use of CW).

Plus a handy way to save face for both Russia and the US, the CW get removed from the table with Russia being able to keep helping their friend, while the US gets out of unpopular military campaign.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

c0ldfuse posted:

Because this is the Russian government and Syrian Regime we're talking about. Not exactly the two most honest and trustworthy administrations in the world, they will find a way to spin it for the worse.

theblackw0lf posted:

I like how it is now the Kerry-Russia idea.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Muffiner posted:

Victory recovered!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Muffiner posted:

Snatching credit from the jaws of defeat!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

theblackw0lf posted:

Since when does Kerry have anything to do with it? Wasn't he the rear end in a top hat who was saying "diplomacy is exhausted" like twenty minutes ago?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They must be desperate for an opening to go from "this is laughable" to "oh yeah its our plan as well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theblackw0lf posted:

So now congressional republicans no longer have to make a choice between sticking it to the black guy in charge or bombing muslims, but instead sticking it to the black man in charge or bombing muslims and sticking it to the USSR Russia?

• Locked thread