Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gutcruncher posted:

The Nintendo 64 had the best launch ever. 100% of its launch games were good.

Shadows of the Empire was an N64 launch game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

njsykora posted:

I spent a good few years playing that game nearly every single day.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you get art academy can you only post those awesome paintings in the art academy mii verse? Or can you post them anywhere.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

I don't even care, this game is actually pretty decent. And this is coming from playing it again only a few years ago.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The nice thing about the N64 having so few games is that in all seriousness I think I played almost every single N64 game from launch through 1998. They came out at a slow enough rate that I remember doing weekly trips to Blockbuster and picking out whatever was new. Should probably write my mom the biggest thank you card right now for letting me do that...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ahh, the N64, the point at which I got an allowance and was able to rent any game I wanted every other week. Think I coulda bought Banjo-Kazooie solely from renting it so often, I got 100% at least twice since both times I'd get the game home and find somebody had deleted all the saves. I remember one time I rented Quest 64 and didn't realize I needed a memory card to save, so I beat that game by leaving the N64 on for the entire week, which was actually 10 days. The only game I actually saved up money to buy was Perfect Dark, everything else I either got with the N64 or rented from the movie store down the street. They weren't Blockbuster, but they were cheaper and had old SNES games like Super Metroid and EarthBound, so they were obviously superior.

Man, when I get my WiiU I don't think I'll even care that I need to go into "Wii Mode", I'm gonna buy so many N64 games and purposefully wake up early on Saturdays so I can eat a big bowl of sugar with some cereal on top and play blurry rear end games all day. :allears:

... okay maybe I'll skip that last part.

EDIT: Actually, gently caress waiting, I've still got my N64 and an old rear end tube TV, I'ma gonna go hook it up right now. Nevermind, wrong box. :(

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 9, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

njsykora posted:

Actually it only had Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. And then nothing for what, a few months?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually it only had Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. And then nothing for what, a few months?

Yeah, N64 came out in late September, Shadows of the Empire came out early December.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chernabog posted:

If you get art academy can you only post those awesome paintings in the art academy mii verse? Or can you post them anywhere.

All of your Miiverse content is available directly at https://miiverse.nintendo.net/ and you can then re-host it if you want.

The 3DS version let you save it to an SD card, I don't know if they have that for the Wii U one yet.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gutcruncher posted:

And then after those few months there was another few months before the PAL release of the system so :eng99:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

robodex posted:

The Wii U's lineup is really anemic still, sorry. Every time I walk past the Wii U section at the huge EB Games here in Toronto I notice they literally have to put some games on the rack in multiple places in order to actually fill the racks. This is the biggest EB Games in the country that has a ton of really hard-to-find games (it still has a PS2 section for chrissake) yet the Wii U section can barely fill one rack of games.

I'm sure it will get better eventually but you're fooling yourself if you think the Wii U actually has a sizeable library for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_games

I think there are enough Wii U retail games out there to fill a rack if they wanted.

Also it is getting better right now, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze + all the multiplats (Rayman Legends, Arkham Origins, Asscreed IV, Watchdogs, etc...) just for 2013 along with games already out such as NSMB U, Luigi U, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Zombi U, multiplats and digital only games.

I don't know if this is a sizable library but it certainly looks like one to me at least.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 9, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Man, when I get my WiiU I don't think I'll even care that I need to go into "Wii Mode", I'm gonna buy so many N64 games

Yes, you can buy all ten N64 games available on the Wii shop.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, you can buy all ten N64 games available on the Wii shop.

Ten copies of Sin and Punishment is all you need.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Shadows of the empire would have been incredible if they had just used the gameplay of the Hoth level to make a whole game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kurtofan posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_games

I think there are enough Wii U retail games out there to fill a rack if they wanted.

Also it is getting better right now, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze + all the multiplats (Rayman Legends, Arkham Origins, Asscreed IV, Watchdogs, etc...) just for 2013 along with games already out such as NSMB U, Luigi U, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Zombi U, multiplats and digital only games.

I don't know if this is a sizable library but it certainly looks like one to me at least.

I would like someone to break down the PS4 and Xbone libraries 10 months out and see where they stand... how many shootmans they will have.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Chronojam posted:

All of your Miiverse content is available directly at https://miiverse.nintendo.net/ and you can then re-host it if you want.

The 3DS version let you save it to an SD card, I don't know if they have that for the Wii U one yet.

What I meant was if you can post art academy paintings into other mii verses or if it is only limited to its own.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Read bottom to top.

He just wants to play some old games with NO loving SMOOTHENING!!! :3:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Kamiya is a man who knows what he wants.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I still can't follow Twitter conversations. I'm old/dumb.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thedouche posted:

Shadows of the empire would have been incredible if they had just used the gameplay of the Hoth level to make a whole game.
They basically did since it led to the development of Rogue Squadron which was a great game :)

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Pablo Gigante posted:

They basically did since it led to the development of Rogue Squadron which was a great game :)

My theory is that the playtesters just tow cabled imperial walkers repeatedly rather than doing anything with the rest of the game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gutcruncher posted:

I still remember the 1996 release schedule for that system because it was so solid. These were the games I had within the first year of the system.

Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 at lunch. Mortal Kombat Trilogy in October, November with Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold, and Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey. Shadows of the Empire and Crusin' USA in December.

NBA Hangtime in January, Blast Corps, Mario Kart and Turok in February, Star Fox in July, Goldeneye in August, Diddy Kong Racing and WCW/nWo World Tour in November,

All awesome games...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

zenintrude posted:

I would like someone to break down the PS4 and Xbone libraries 10 months out and see where they stand... how many shootmans they will have.

High budget video games with Hollywood B-movie story plots shoved into a cover shooter are the latest craze! It's a shame Nintendo isn't capitalizing on the trend, because the market is there for people who want to watch a movie but sometimes click on a bad guy's head while hiding behind a chest-high wall and sometimes QTEs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Crowbear posted:

He's right though, the VC filtering on NES games is garbage. Why isn't there a checkbox or something in the VC menu that allows you to toggle it?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Crowbear posted:

Read bottom to top.

I want a wacky sitcom where Kamiya and Iwata are roommates.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

horriblePencilist posted:

I want a wacky sitcom where Kamiya and Iwata are roommates.

Suda51 would be the neighbor across the hall.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bruceski posted:

Suda51 would be the neighbor across the hall.

Hideo Kojima would be the landlord.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Who would Itagaki and Yu Suzuki be?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Mario 64 was a game changer - something new and exciting that was never done before. It deserves a pass. Also Wii Sports did the same thing. Wii U gave us the 16th revision of "new" Super Mario Bros. which made the launch boring.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Wii U gave us the 16th revision of "new" Super Mario Bros. which made the launch boring.

Hey now, it's only the 4th revision. 5th if you count Super Luigi U. But when we go from releases in 2006, 2009, and then two in 2012 it seems a bit rushed

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Neo Rasa posted:

Who would Itagaki [...] be?

Barney Stinson

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
If Nintendo was smart they'd be the first company to put a MOBA on a console. In Smash Brothers style.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Strange Matter posted:

If Nintendo was smart they'd be the first company to put a MOBA on a console. In Smash Brothers style.

What you described is basically exactly Awesomenauts, already available on ps3 / xbox / pc / etc. It's really well made and a lot of fun, but the console version is the weakest because MOBAs, by definition, require a lot of patching and tweaking before things are perfectly balanced, and if things aren't perfectly balanced then players leave.

Can't find a video without obnoxious voiceovers but this one shows a full game on the ps3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-TNSsPzAys

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

I thought that a few more actiony MOBA's had received console ports (or been targeted at consoles and gotten PC ports) and sank without a trace.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Awesomenauts and Lord of the Rings Guardians of Middle earth are already Console Mobas.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Strange Matter posted:

I'd play it. Would have been an interesting foray into F2P for them as well (they'd make mountains of cash with a Dota-esque business model), but instead they went with Steel loving Diver.

That said, I don't know if Nintendo's developers have the ability (or inclination, for that matter) to balance a game like that for competitive play or to implement the many online features that the genre requires.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sony just announced a Vita box which plays, "play certain PS Vita games, as well as downloadable PSOne and PSP games."

Should Nintendo respond by making a 3DS Player for the Wii U?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Yes.

Being able to play your 3DS games on a big screen would be huge... and I fully expect it to happen now that Nintendo has shown to be flexable on their 3D obsession with the 2DS.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Yes. Because I just purchased Fire Emblem and wouldn't mind playing it on a big screen.

I mean, they plan on incorporating the 3DS and the Wii U anyways; and it could actually benefit the Wii U as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
3DS games probably wouldn't look all that great on a big-rear end TV.

Also, Sony did this to boost Vita (game) sales, admitting that the handheld itself is pretty much a failure. The 3DS, on the other hand, is a huge success.

• Locked thread