Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Happy for Dinho but kinda wanted Olimpia to win it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is Dinho the first to win both the Champions and Libertadores? Good for him :unsmith:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Drogadon posted:

Do you rate him higher than Muslera or is he just having a good game today?

He's pretty good and consistent. Muslera can be great but has really poo poo moments. Silva is poo poo at penalties, though and Muslera can be pretty good at them.

Olimpia :smith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:woop: Ronaldinho at the Club World Cup!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

surrender posted:

Is Dinho the first to win both the Champions and Libertadores? Good for him :unsmith:

Dida and Cafu have done it too. I don't know any others, though.

E: Tevez, duh.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dinho is the first to do it in that order though (first UCL then Libertadores)

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Polidoro posted:

What are you talking about? The ref is not Uruguayan and that never happened.
Ah, he's colombian, sorry.
Fernando Niembro is crying, It's so great.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Polidoro posted:

Silva is poo poo at penalties

Yeah that was clear :smith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That was an incredible game. Here's all the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qde03iETCbI

Aside from the flare incident, the Libertadores are alright with me. Anyone follow the Campeonato Brasileiro? I'm gonna keep an eye on it this season. Don't think I'll follow Corinthians this time though. They have a lot of really boring 1-0 games. I mean, they're second to last in goals forced in Serie A. I've started watching a few of Internacional's games, and they seem to have a lot more scoring chances.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I never, ever thought I'd see this happen. I've been an Atletico (and, for the record, people in Brazil call it Atletico or Atletico Mineiro, never just Mineiro) fan since my father first took me to a match in 1983. For people familiar with the Brazilian league, Atletico has long had this reputation as a team with terrible luck, always choking in key moments. Back when the Brazilian league had a playoffs, Atletico was the team that had reached the semifinals the most times, but they only won it once, in 1971. Partly bad luck, partly weak political power within CBF, Atletico was famous for "dying at the beach" (see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/morrer_na_praia ).

It is a history that involves being the only undefeated runner up in Brazilian league history, when in 1977 it lost on PKs to sao paulo. A history that involves firing Tele Sant'anna because of his "pe frio," or bad luck, after he reached the semifinals in 1987 undefeated and lost to flamengo (soon after that, Tele won literally everything there was to win at Sao Paulo). That in 1995 lost a conmebol cup after winning the first leg in the final 4-0. All culminating in being relegated to the second division in 2005, while the main in town rivals, cruzeiro, was winning almost everything.

And so while I understand that is a bit irrational to be this happy or to care this much about sports, I also can't help but think back to all the disappointments I had lived through with Atletico, all the memories I have of going to the stadium back when I lived in Brazil and my father was still alive, or how I could always get my father to talk about Atletico, even as the cancer that eventually claimed his life started to drain his energy and will to live. It is sort of poetic that a team that has lost so many penalty shoot-outs, had lost so many titles in the final minutes, finally wins it in this manner.

Volkerball posted:

That was an incredible game. Here's all the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qde03iETCbI

Aside from the flare incident, the Libertadores are alright with me. Anyone follow the Campeonato Brasileiro? I'm gonna keep an eye on it this season. Don't think I'll follow Corinthians this time though. They have a lot of really boring 1-0 games. I mean, they're second to last in goals forced in Serie A. I've started watching a few of Internacional's games, and they seem to have a lot more scoring chances.

The problem with Campeonato Brasileiro is the absolutely insane Brazilian schedule, made worse by the confederations cup. The schedule is so bloated that teams that lose in the Brazilian cup get entered into Sudamericana. That is, even if you do poorly and lose, they'll still find a way to get teams playing an inordinate amount of games. This is all on top of things like state championships and the like. The reason I mention this is because it is quite likely that some of the better teams, like internacional, corinthians or cruzeiro will rest key starters if they get deeper in copa do brasil or sudamericana.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 25, 2013

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I wanted Olimpia to win, but now I feel happy for you joepinetree, congratulations :unsmith:

I don't think any Spanish speaking person will ever call it Atletico, though. Too many Atleticos around.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I thought this was a cool video:

http://youtu.be/Ka1vIxWeMCA

Panoramic view of Belo Horizonte after Atletico won.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

LT.CrownRoast posted:

Why do they play a two leg final instead of one at a neutral ground like the champions league?

Mineiro will win. :P

I think it's because it's not feasible for the final to be held at a neutral venue, like what happens in the UCL. The infrastructure in South America isn't good enough to mobilize so many supporters for a match. It also raises the question of which city would host the final match. It would make no sense to, say, a team from Uruguay face a team from Argentina in Caracas.

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011
It is being reported by El Jaish SC that Christian Benitez has passed away.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I knew his career was over when he left for Qatar, but this...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Apparently he died from a peritonitis gone wrong? what the hell?

I hope Qatari hospitals are improved by the time of the world cup.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
His agent reports that it was heart-related. If a south american athlete couldn't hack it on a warm Tuesday in Doha, the world cup is going to be all kinds of mental

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Probably a dumb question, but why is the Fla-Mineiro game taking place in Brasilia? The stadium is almost empty

Also, Mineiro are poo poo without Bernard or Ronaldinho.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

surrender posted:

Probably a dumb question, but why is the Fla-Mineiro game taking place in Brasilia? The stadium is almost empty

Is Jo out too?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Volkerball posted:

Is Jo out too?

Yeah, he's out too

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

surrender posted:

Flamengo signed with the Brasilia stadium to play there for 3 of 4 matches a few weeks ago, when their contract with the Maracana was still being negotiated.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Magrov posted:

Flamengo signed with the Brasilia stadium to play there for 3 of 4 matches a few weeks ago, when their contract with the Maracana was still being negotiated.

Ah, thanks.

Also, another day, another class goal from Seedorf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogjnb_PVEbI

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

surrender posted:

Ah, thanks.

Also, another day, another class goal from Seedorf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogjnb_PVEbI

Seedorf is great, love that guy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Is Jo out too?

I think Jo is even more important than Bernard. Atletico's entire offense relies on either Ronaldinho's long passes or Jo playing the pivot up front. Luan can sort of substitute Bernard, but Atletico has no one who can replace Ronaldinho or Jo, even at a lower level.

In any case, this sort of performance was to be expected. Atletico has 3 wins 1 draw and 6 losses. Last year Corinthians had 3 wins 2 draws 5 losses at the same point, sams as Santos in 2011.

The main thing for Atletico now is Bernard deciding his fate. If he takes the offer from the Ukraine, its 25 million euros that Atletico will be able to spend to improve the team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joepinetree posted:

In any case, this sort of performance was to be expected. Atletico has 3 wins 1 draw and 6 losses. Last year Corinthians had 3 wins 2 draws 5 losses at the same point, sams as Santos in 2011.

It's crazy how it works like that, but I guess it's got a lot to do with benching starters. Corinthians kind of suck anyway though. Aside from Guerrero, they don't seem to have a lot going on. Even this year after spending all that money on Pato, they still can't score. I have no idea how they won the Libertadores and beat Chelsea.

quote:

The main thing for Atletico now is Bernard deciding his fate. If he takes the offer from the Ukraine, its 25 million euros that Atletico will be able to spend to improve the team.

I'd like to see him stay, at least until the CWC is over. It'd be interesting to see Bayern and Mineiro play with a healthy Ronaldinho, Jo, and Bernard. I'm interested to see how good Bernard can get. He could be a great one to watch.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW

20matar posted:

I think it's because it's not feasible for the final to be held at a neutral venue, like what happens in the UCL. The infrastructure in South America isn't good enough to mobilize so many supporters for a match. It also raises the question of which city would host the final match. It would make no sense to, say, a team from Uruguay face a team from Argentina in Caracas.

Thanks, I didn't actually consider that South America is more than 2x the size of Europe with worse infrastructure :gonk:. Its still strange that the finalists play two legs though, look at Minerio getting home field for PKs in the final in front of a home crowd and winning it. Doesn't seem fair to this Anglophile.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

LT.CrownRoast posted:

Thanks, I didn't actually consider that South America is more than 2x the size of Europe with worse infrastructure :gonk:. Its still strange that the finalists play two legs though, look at Minerio getting home field for PKs in the final in front of a home crowd and winning it. Doesn't seem fair to this Anglophile.

There have been UEFA cup competitions with two legged finals as well, but yeah most countries don't have any infrastructure between them or only very rural roads, no one is going to ride their car from Caracas to Quito anyway.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW

El Hefe posted:

There have been UEFA cup competitions with two legged finals as well, but yeah most countries don't have any infrastructure between them or only very rural roads, no one is going to ride their car from Caracas to Quito anyway.
BR-174. 7,466 km, 96 hours
This route has tolls.
This route includes a ferry.
This route crosses through multiple countries.

I see your point, two leg finals it is.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Funny, There are talks about playing the final in a neutral venue starting next year...

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, but I don't think it'll be like in Europe where they know where the final will be played before the tournament starts. I think they'll chose a country that's close to both finalists.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think it is a pretty bad idea. In Europe they have not only the advantage of infrastructure, but they have certain marquee, almost all star teams that will draw a large crowd even if the teams' supporters don't show up. Even in the extreme example of a London to Moscow distance, Manchester U v Chelsea was a big enough game that the stadium was filled with not only fans of the teams, but also a lot of Russians.

Now, maybe other countries are different, but in Brazil most people lose interest in the libertadores once their teams are out. This year was an oddity because lots of fans of other clubs decided to support Atletico, so the ratings were high. But when Cruzeiro played Estudiantes in 2009, for example, the final wasn't even broadcast nationally in Brazil.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm travelling in South America, now in Bogotá. I just got back from El Campín where I saw Millonarios beat Once Caldas 3-0. Highlights being how hilariously bad the Millonarios defence was in the first half and the first goal, a glorious free kick. Much more interesting game than my first Colombian experience, Nacional v Santa Fe, although that game had the advantage of the atmosphere of being in with the fans and meeting http://www.ticespor.com/2010/10/un-hincha-colombiano-se-tatuo-la.html

El Hefe posted:

I dunno. When I was at the Nacional v Santa Fe game a couple of weeks ago the fan I was with told me about how the hardcore fans had gone down to Peru by truck for the away game of the first round of the Copa Sudamericana. It's about the same distance as Caracas to Quito.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
By truck? That sounds dangerous and uncomfortable.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

tetsman posted:

By truck? That sounds dangerous and uncomfortable.

It's also illegal (in UY, don't know about Peru).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Polidoro posted:

How are the roads like in Uruguay with Argentina and Brazil?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

El Hefe posted:

How are the roads like in Uruguay with Argentina and Brazil?

You mean how is it to drive between the countries? It's pretty easy and the roads are good. I went to Bariloche by car and it was a good road trip, never drove to Brazil but my boss does it all the time and only complains about traffic in Brazil at certain hours. You can also drive to Chile pretty comfortably (a friend of mine did this a couple of weeks ago). That's my Uruguayan opinion, argies and brazilians might complain our roads are narrower and filled with curves and they can't go 150Km/h on them (they do it anyway and end up eating trees). Also, our good roads are the ones that go to tourist spots, if you want to drive to a rural area, the roads have likely been hosed by trucks (no trains here to move cattle and wood and poo poo).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Polidoro posted:

I dunno, they didn't seem the type to care about the legality of transport.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

WCQ Time!

We've just had a couple of games

Colombia 1 - Ecuador 0
Paraguay 4 - Bolivia 0
Chile 3 - Venezuela 0
Peru 1 - Uruguay 2

Which means Bolivia is the first team out of the CONMEBOL WCQ.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The Peru team is a testament that no matter what team you have on paper, if you don't have loving BALLS and character when playing, you might as well roll over and lose.

Also Suarez is a genius, a very evil one, but a god drat genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Both Colombia and Ecuador are pretty bad, yet they're going to the world cup.
edit: By the way, Peru should really try the altitude scam, Ecuador used to play at sea level on the best stadium in the country, with about 50% more capacity, and the only reason they switched to Quito was because the new president was from there and also the federation owned the stadium, but it worked, it even switched the local league champions to the altitude cities for about a decade.

cisneros fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 9, 2013