Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Using a Windows account syncs some of your settings over multiple Windows 8 machines.

Microsoft kind of hopes you also have a Windows 8 phone, tablet, laptop and Xbox.

So is there any way at all to use the calendar app without signing in with an account I don't have / don't remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Nope, that just pushes my actual list of references to a new page. They're endnotes specifically rather than just reference entries, I'll bet that makes a difference.

Put a section break between the end of your text and the endnotes. Open the Endnote/Footnote options by click the little arrow in the bottom right of the Footnotes section of the References ribbon, and change Endnotes to be 'End of section'.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GigaFuzz posted:

Put a section break between the end of your text and the endnotes. Open the Endnote/Footnote options by click the little arrow in the bottom right of the Footnotes section of the References ribbon, and change Endnotes to be 'End of section'.

I've tried that, and no matter how many times I've tweaked the variables in that process it always just plants the majority of my references in between two paragraphs of my last section. Observe (endnotes highlighted in yellow, to help keep track of them)

Document as-is:

After inserting a section break ahead of the "References" heading, so far so good:

Setting footnotes to be "end of section", it seems to have a different opinion about where that end is:

E: Fixed it by just cutting & pasting the last bit of writing ahead of where the endnotes wanted to go. Thanks!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 29, 2013

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
edit: Oops wrong thread

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 29, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My computer doesn't want to go to sleep by itself, but if I manually make it go to sleep, it stays that way just fine. How do I go about figuring out what is preventing it from sleeping automatically (currently set for 2 hours)?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At least one of at least two things is happening.

1) Your computer keeps getting woken up by something.

Check Event Viewer for weird stuff, and make an inventory of background processes, especially if they're with-device or obscure/goon-countermanded, to see if they're doing weird stuff Event Viewer can't catch.

2) Your mouse may be moving. (I have this occasionally.)

If it's got low friction with its surface and its optics are pointed at a border between two areas of different brightness, anything from microquakes to the airflow off a fan to your footfalls can push it enough to move it.

Turn the mouse's sensitivity down, weigh it down, or change/add/remove your mousepad.

Even with the torn-off back of a legal pad a high-friction high-texture mousepad this happens to me sometimes. Hell, try changing where your mouse rests when you leave the computer.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 30, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's a good photo management thing these days? A woman I help out now and then needs some way of organising and tagging pics of her family, right now she has a folder for each person and decides which one each picture should go in, it's a horrible system and she doesn't even really understand dragging files around in Explorer so half the time she doesn't bother. She also sells stuff on ebay and tries to manage the photos for current and recent auctions, I thought it would be easier to just tag things 'eBay' and 'current' or 'done' so it's not just a pile of hundreds of photos called "ebay 1 (56).jpg" like she has now.

Is Picasa still the go-to? Pretty easy to use once you get the idea down? She's on XP (yes I know) and the computer's not exactly a powerhouse either. She has a Facebook account and uses Outlook for her email so she's not really interested in G+. Being able to easily import pics and browse through them for photo printing sites would be a big help. Making it hard to gently caress things up by moving a photo somewhere else would be great too (I think Picasa has an issue with this?)

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Recently got Satellite internet while I am out of the country. Everything is fine, but of course, bandwidth is at a premium. They do however let you go hog wild between 0230 and 0730 local time and don't count that towards your cap. I don't want to stay up this late to schedule downloads. Any recommendations on FTP programs that allow start/stop times or other methods of making this happen? Google isn't proving to be much help!

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit that I got from the Windows 7 Party promotion when it first launched. I need to do a repair install but I can't find the disk. Does anyone know if there's somewhere I can get just the ISO without Service Pack 1 or any annoying cracks preinstalled? I just need the vanilla disk.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You can get it from Digital River, an official channel:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Edit: Oops, except Ultimate listed on that page is from an unoffical source. You want this:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso from here http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full

More info if you're paranoid: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...58-79e2345e55ed

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ceros_X posted:

Recently got Satellite internet while I am out of the country. Everything is fine, but of course, bandwidth is at a premium. They do however let you go hog wild between 0230 and 0730 local time and don't count that towards your cap. I don't want to stay up this late to schedule downloads. Any recommendations on FTP programs that allow start/stop times or other methods of making this happen? Google isn't proving to be much help!
Only FTP? I'd find an FTP client that fully supports commandline, write a batch script that downloads/does what you need, then setup a scheduled task in Windows (search for Task Scheduler in the start menu) to run the batch script at 02:30, and be killed at 07:30 if it's still running.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Tapedump posted:

You can get it from Digital River, an official channel:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Edit: Oops, except Ultimate listed on that page is from an unoffical source. You want this:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso from here http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full

More info if you're paranoid: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...58-79e2345e55ed

Thank you! I knew there was somewhere official-ish, just couldn't remember the name.

Just tried the one linked but no dice :( said I need one of the same version. Maybe the launch party one is a special butterfly version

The version I need is X15-39644 but I can't find that on Digital River anywhere :(

Gibfender fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Thank you! I knew there was somewhere official-ish, just couldn't remember the name.

Just tried the one linked but no dice :( said I need one of the same version. Maybe the launch party one is a special butterfly version

The version I need is X15-39644 but I can't find that on Digital River anywhere :(

With a little bit of work you can make any version of Windows 7 any other version.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
It seems that I can get Windows 7 for free from my school, and my Windows 8 laptop is driving me nuts. Can anyone point me towards a good walkthrough to downgrade to 7?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Doghouse posted:

It seems that I can get Windows 7 for free from my school, and my Windows 8 laptop is driving me nuts. Can anyone point me towards a good walkthrough to downgrade to 7?

You can't, long story short. It's a fresh install or nothing.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Wow, bummer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there a decent program for podcasts that isn't iTunes?

I was using the windows 8 app PODCASTS! but it has issues with notification when new episodes are uploaded and adding RSS feeds for shows not available through search.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

You should take a look at Doubletwist, it looks a lot like itunes though so that may be a turnoff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there a decent program for podcasts that isn't iTunes?

I was using the windows 8 app PODCASTS! but it has issues with notification when new episodes are uploaded and adding RSS feeds for shows not available through search.

I always like the Zune software, but it's probably overkill for that.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've moved back to Win 7 from Win 8 and oddly enough I miss the built in email app Win 8 had. Is there any program which creates pops up on the desktop somewhere when a new mail comes? Outlook has the pop-up balloon but that's not what I'm looking for.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dodoman posted:

I've moved back to Win 7 from Win 8 and oddly enough I miss the built in email app Win 8 had. Is there any program which creates pops up on the desktop somewhere when a new mail comes? Outlook has the pop-up balloon but that's not what I'm looking for.

I use Trillian as my IM client, and I also have it set to check my email. The email notifications use the same area as notifications about people signing on and off.

You can also delete incoming emails in the notification without having to go to your web mail.

It's not exactly an email client, and there's no great interface for managing mail, but that's fine with me personally.

There are no doubt better solutions, but I like this as I'm running it all the time anyway..

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Any opinions on Office 365 here? Me and my brother need Office for our class, and I see that they have a student 4-year subscription for $79.99. It says we can put it on up to 5 PC's, so we would be sharing it basically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any opinions on Office 365 here? Me and my brother need Office for our class, and I see that they have a student 4-year subscription for $79.99. It says we can put it on up to 5 PC's, so we would be sharing it basically.

It works fine. You just get full installations of Office anyway, so there's no fancy "in the cloud" stuff to break.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Aphrodite posted:

It works fine. You just get full installations of Office anyway, so there's no fancy "in the cloud" stuff to break.

Apparently the android app doesn't support tablets. This is a deal breaker for me.

They don't even support the loving iPad supposedly either :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On my full-sized keyboard, I can hold alt, then type "+[4 digits]" on the number pad to get a unicode character. Is it possible to do this on a compact laptop keyboard that has a number pad superimposed on the right half, accessed via the fn key?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hooah posted:

On my full-sized keyboard, I can hold alt, then type "+[4 digits]" on the number pad to get a unicode character. Is it possible to do this on a compact laptop keyboard that has a number pad superimposed on the right half, accessed via the fn key?

I just tried on an HP Probook 6455 and it worked fine. Held alt, fn and then m u u u (0444) and got ¼.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Apparently the android app doesn't support tablets. This is a deal breaker for me.

They don't even support the loving iPad supposedly either :psyduck:

Correct, the mobile versions are phones only because they do not want to allow competition with the Surface.

It's dumb.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just tried on an HP Probook 6455 and it worked fine. Held alt, fn and then m u u u (0444) and got ¼.

Hmm. That one worked, but ∧ doesn't, nor do most of the less-common mathematical symbols (sets, logic).

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What is everyone using for encrypting laptops?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Syano posted:

What is everyone using for encrypting laptops?

Truecrypt works pretty well for consumer-grade stuff, though I guess you can't really trust any encryption given what we've learned about the NSA in the last few weeks.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Truecrypt works pretty well for consumer-grade stuff, though I guess you can't really trust any encryption given what we've learned about the NSA in the last few weeks.

No reason to doubt Truecrypt.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Ok, after probably an hour of searching relentlessly on Google, can someone explain Office 2010 licensing to me?

Here is my output of cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus

As far as I can tell, there are PKC licenses, and then there are retail licenses. Typically PKC is considered OEM?

Anyway, my certificate of authority (coa) does not have the words OEM or PKC anywhere on the card, however, I also do not have the FPP retail package.

I bought the computer through Dell and ordered Office 2010 with the computer. What type of license is this, is it transferable and where can I verify this to be 100% certain?

edit: If I'm to believe this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-check-office-2010-activation-status-and-license-type-channel/ it is the retail (transferable) channel. However I need to be certain because this is for a business.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 11, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IT Guy posted:

Ok, after probably an hour of searching relentlessly on Google, can someone explain Office 2010 licensing to me?

Here is my output of cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus

As far as I can tell, there are PKC licenses, and then there are retail licenses. Typically PKC is considered OEM?

Anyway, my certificate of authority (coa) does not have the words OEM or PKC anywhere on the card, however, I also do not have the FPP retail package.

I bought the computer through Dell and ordered Office 2010 with the computer. What type of license is this, is it transferable and where can I verify this to be 100% certain?

edit: If I'm to believe this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-check-office-2010-activation-status-and-license-type-channel/ it is the retail (transferable) channel. However I need to be certain because this is for a business.

If you're 100% for sure it was an OEM copy (which it looks like from the license name), it's technically bound to the device it was purchased with:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13653

quote:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Device. The software license is permanently assigned to
the device with which the software is distributed. That device is the
“licensed device.”

On an OEM license Dell is on the hook for support, so you can always call them to confirm.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Read posted:

No reason to doubt Truecrypt.

Truecrypt is open source, but if the NSA has developed ways to just straight up crack the encryption methods used, which some of the latest leaks suggest, then it doesn't matter if the source is backdoor-free.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And if the NSA is truly interested in getting the data off some random lost laptop, they're going to have it one way or the other.

I don't think that's why he wants laptop encryption.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Truecrypt is open source, but if the NSA has developed ways to just straight up crack the encryption methods used, which some of the latest leaks suggest, then it doesn't matter if the source is backdoor-free.

The articles have been deliberately vague on details, but those reading between the lines suggest that the encryption itself has not been attacked - rather the implementation. So if you trust that trucrypt has been implemented properly (the size of that 'if' relates to your tinfoil hat size), there's not reason not to use it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

spog posted:

The articles have been deliberately vague on details, but those reading between the lines suggest that the encryption itself has not been attacked - rather the implementation. So if you trust that trucrypt has been implemented properly (the size of that 'if' relates to your tinfoil hat size), there's not reason not to use it.

Wasn't it confirmed that open source solutions were undermined as well through contributions that subtly weakened algorithms or provided other access? There's no way to know which implementations are secure and which aren't, and the fact that the information is available to news agencies but is being withheld makes it all the worse.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The last I saw on it was that the algorithms themselves were intact, but shoddy implementations were the attack vector.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Replacing my 60 GB boot SSD with a 120 GB one, do I need to do anything to de-activate my current Windows install so I won't have an issue using the product key again on the new install?

Also, do I need to really do anything to prepare the rest of my hardware for this new drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sab669 posted:

Replacing my 60 GB boot SSD with a 120 GB one, do I need to do anything to de-activate my current Windows install so I won't have an issue using the product key again on the new install?

Also, do I need to really do anything to prepare the rest of my hardware for this new drive?

Unless this is XP, probably not, no. And had you used drive imaging software to clone your old drive to your new onevinstead of reinstalling, then you'd be up and running with the new drive in less time than it took me to type this post.

Well that's hyperbole but you get the gist.