Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Blackheart posted:

Pfffft come on Coyote, that's a lame disguise. You're not fooling anyone here.

I wanted to add some etheric "dust" falling off like a magic moth or something, it feels like it would look right.

Turns out it's actually a Slake Moth, everything turns bad real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh God.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was thinking some kind of Mind Flayer but you are just cruel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Blackheart posted:

I wanted to add some etheric "dust" falling off like a magic moth or something, it feels like it would look right.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Tom,you messed up, this is clearly meant to be a Friday update.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I am doubtful, but this could get really interesting really fast...or boring in an expositiony kinda way.

My current crazy guess is that Fun City is actually Fun City and it just gives you what you want; Annie wants answers, and Ysengrin wants a good fight. Everything is probably what it seems though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly, this seems like a weird direction to suddenly go in. Guess we'll see what happens.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
That's quite a claim there, big rainbow glowy-thing. I'm certainly intrigued. Go on.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I can't remember, is the Court surrounded on all sides by the Forest, and if not, what's on the other side of the Court?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"I am the Seed Bismuth. Let's get pimpin'" :wink:

Pucklynn posted:

I can't remember, is the Court surrounded on all sides by the Forest, and if not, what's on the other side of the Court?

More forest, I think? Just a regular one, not-quite as enchanted as Gillitie.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Tom,you messed up, this is clearly meant to be a Friday update.

This was my first thought after reading the comic too. Now we need an even more agonizing cliffhanger for the REAL friday update.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pucklynn posted:

As Yet Unknown. We don't know how far the court extends in other directions besides 'really loving far' or what's beyond its boundaries.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Antimony, meet Bismuth. Bismuth, meet Antimony. I'm sure you'll get on like a pair of poor-metals sharing a periodic group.

No, but seriously, I have no idea what to make of this. This came out of nowhere. :psyduck:

Pucklynn posted:

Theoretically, both of them are surrounded by Britain. So. The M1? Birmingham?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's the future. The court is an abandoned future Hull.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Hey, listen!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MooCowlian posted:

It's the future. The court is an abandoned future Hull.

No, it's much too homely for that.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Brightman posted:

My current crazy guess is that Fun City is actually Fun City and it just gives you what you want; Annie wants answers, and Ysengrin wants a good fight. Everything is probably what it seems though.

I like this interpretation. After all, since when "becoming strong" in stories hasn't involved confronting an external manifestation of your internal turmoil?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Pucklynn posted:

It's Court all the way around.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Prediction: Friday's update will cause me to curse Tom out loud for being such a bastard with Friday pages. (Tom if I had more money I'd throw it at you but I'm poor right now.)

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Brightman posted:

I like this idea. So what Annie's seeing isn't really the Seed Bismuth, but just her (subconscious) idea of what the Seed might be like, presented to her by Fun City as a response to her need for answers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
First thing I thought of was the moonlight butterfly.

"So, can you tell me how the court was created?"

"It grew from me. Gotta go, have fun kid"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If its a moth... then maybe the Court is, or was, a chrysalis. I bet it's loving huge in the ether.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
Well, we know that elements of the Court and the Forest attempt to grow together, which is treated as a sort of "contamination" by the respective sides.

The Forest is probably the Seed's natural environment, but the Court is an extension of its being that has been severed from it to some degree. It remains in the ruins because it is meant to bridge the natural/etherial and the artificial/human, and may not be able to exist without some degree of both.

I agree that Kat is somehow related it it. It probably taught Diego how to build the Court robots. Kat is perhaps an avatar of the remains of the Seed within the Court? For Kat, science is a natural and intuitive thing. And she is, of course, the child of people who used science to interact with the Ether (without demanding the absolute knowledge the Court desires).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 9, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh, hey Bismuth. You're famous!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kantesu posted:

That's quite a claim there, big rainbow glowy-thing. I'm certainly intrigued. Go on.

My first reaction is 'no you aren't'. I mean, it's a magic forest, it *has* to have lights that lead travellers to their doom. I'm pretty sure it's in the bylaws.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has Jones ever met the Bismuth? She said she wasn't there for the courts foundation, but maybe later...

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I feel like it's super hard to believe that this is the Seed Bismuth because I doubt any of us thought of it as a living thing. Well not a sentient thing, seeds and plants are technically alive, but this made buildings, which...aren't...alive? In retrospect maybe this somehow makes more sense.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I haven't taken the time to look extra specially close at it, but does the seed bismuth remind anyone else of what Zimmy saw when she looked at Kat?

EDIT: This guy sort of bears a resemblance to how Zimmy saw Kat that one time.

It's not like super exactly similar or anything, but I mean they kinda look related somehow. We got wings, we got a torso, we got a head thing. Some major differences I guess is that there don't seem to be any long wing thingies coming out of the "eyes" of our Seed Bismuth guy here, and the humanoid aspect of the Seed Bismuth guy is a lot less strong than what Zimmy saw.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 9, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brightman posted:

I am doubtful, but this could get really interesting really fast...or boring in an expositiony kinda way.

I'm with this guy. Ysen finally gets the punch fight he wants (So happy!) and Annie immediately and abruptly finds the Seed Bismuth which turns out is sentient and can give her the answers she so desperately seeks? This is literally too good to be true.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Apparently someone did buy :smugjones: as a smile.

Edit: Also, thanks avatar-buyer! Much better than baby-face.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brightman posted:

I feel like it's super hard to believe that this is the Seed Bismuth because I doubt any of us thought of it as a living thing. Well not a sentient thing, seeds and plants are technically alive

Sapient thing. Plants are sentient too, to an extent. :smugjones: (Sentience is about having the ability to experience sensations; which is something that has been demonstrated in many plant species.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VanSandman posted:

Has Jones ever met the Bismuth? She said she wasn't there for the courts foundation, but maybe later...

No she hasn't. When they had this cyber simulation of the founding of the court, they clearly told Annie, that no one knows what the seed Bismuth looks like.
So if this moth is legit, there was never anyone from the court who met it who lived to tell the tale.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hell yes now I'm super pumped for Wednesday.

Wednesday will be a two page spread of Ysengrin kicking rear end and will earn Tom Sidell his 'trolling your audience' PhD.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sapient thing. Plants are sentient too, to an extent. :smugjones: (Sentience is about having the ability to experience sensations; which is something that has been demonstrated in many plant species.)

Dammit. I keep trying to not screw this up but keep failing. I blame Star Trek.

Also :smugjones: will probably get a lot of use outside of this thread, so that was a good move whoever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Air is lava! posted:

No she hasn't. When they had this cyber simulation of the founding of the court, they clearly told Annie, that no one knows what the seed Bismuth looks like.
So if this moth is legit, there was never anyone from the court who met it who lived to tell the tale.

Well, except the founders. Who are, well, dicks.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Well, except the founders. Who are, well, dicks.

This is going to somehow relate to Jeanne and that stupid green arrow isn't it :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, they didn't tell the tale. And might be dead by now. So I am technically correct.

You might argue, that the seed Bismuth itself was around at that time. If you want to strain definitions, it is a member of the court.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

PrinceRandom posted:

This is going to somehow relate to Jeanne and that stupid green arrow isn't it :(

The whole incident may have been intended to keep the Seed out, rather than just Forest beings in general.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

^^^^ Edit: Didn't see this post on refresh.

If Coyote split the Forest and the Court, then seeing that the Seed Bismuth (assuming it's actually true what that being says) is on the forest side I wonder what Coyote intended by keeping it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PrinceRandom posted:

Apparently someone did buy :smugjones: as a smile.
Now it seems the 5 mins I spent on that last year were well spent!