Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dunban posted:

Also, Sony did this to boost Vita (game) sales, admitting that the handheld itself is pretty much a failure. The 3DS, on the other hand, is a huge success.

But if you tie it to the Wii U as a peripheral (and it makes sense since you have big screen + touch screen) you could end up selling more Wii Us.

vvv I didn't even think about this... how the hell is the TV Vita thing going to work?? vvv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Id pay for a 3DS to Wii U TV adapter. Unlike the Vita TV, the games wont even lose out on any control options.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sony just announced a Vita box which plays, "play certain PS Vita games, as well as downloadable PSOne and PSP games."

Should Nintendo respond by making a 3DS Player for the Wii U?

One thing the Vita has going for it in this respect is that it's entirely digital. No need for cartridge input, it's just a box that plugs into the TV. A 3DS player would need cartridge support, and while the tablet can act as the bottom screen there's not a lot of consistency in how games use the two screens. Kid Icarus would play great, M&L Dream Team would do okay until you had to rotate the TV, 999 would have constant attention-switching to read lines between the top and bottom screens.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sony just announced a Vita box which plays, "play certain PS Vita games, as well as downloadable PSOne and PSP games."

No, no you got it backwards.

Nintendo should respond by making a portable Wii U. :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zenintrude posted:

vvv I didn't even think about this... how the hell is the TV Vita thing going to work?? vvv
That's why it says "certain games", sounds like stuff with touch features won't work from something I saw earlier.

Bruceski posted:

One thing the Vita has going for it in this respect is that it's entirely digital. No need for cartridge input, it's just a box that plugs into the TV. A 3DS player would need cartridge support, and while the tablet can act as the bottom screen there's not a lot of consistency in how games use the two screens. Kid Icarus would play great, M&L Dream Team would do okay until you had to rotate the TV, 999 would have constant attention-switching to read lines between the top and bottom screens.
I have a bunch of digital games on 3DS.

...if only Nintendo would remove tying everything to hardware :negative:

Edit-yeah there'd be gameplay issues for some games from having the screens split up, but everything would technically be there otherwise. Hell they could still do 3D on 3D TVs if they wanted.

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 9, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

japtor posted:

I have a bunch of digital games on 3DS.

So do I, but I don't think they can pull off digital-only. I have no clue if folks like us are the exception, but we're not the entirety.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Atomicated posted:

Nintendo should respond by making a portable Wii U. :v:

Man my Wii U pretty much is a portable system. I never play my handhelds anywhere but around my house anyway. I think I stopped bringing my handhelds places when riding in the back of the car for trips wasn't a thing anymore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Isn't the 3DS games just SD cards?

Couldn't Nintendo just update the Wii U OS to identify the 3DS cards? Or are they incompatible with the Wii U SD slot?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

They are not SD cards

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Bruceski posted:

It's completely reasonable to require people to turn their TV sets sidewise to play a game! In all honesty just a button that flipped the image on your screen for those parts would fix comparability with 100% of games. It would only use like 20% of your tv but would be fine. Obviously you can still turn the game pad sideways. The wii u has all the hardware it needs where the ps vita tv can't even play games that require the touch screen or the back touch pad.

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 9, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Esk1 posted:

It's completely reasonable to require people to turn their TV sets sidewise to play a game!

Come at me...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bruceski posted:

One thing the Vita has going for it in this respect is that it's entirely digital.

Great, so instead of being able to buy up old Vita games that haven't sold well for dirt cheap, I can buy them from the Playstation Store for full retail prices!

Then keep in mind that the most cost efficient PS Vita Memory Card (64GB) cost the same price as the VitaTV itself.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The VitaTV has a slot for physical Vita games.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I don't think Sony will do the Digital-only-portable/console thing again for a long time, after how hard the PSPGo flopped.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Even if Nintendo were to do a 3DS TV adapter, how on earth would it work? The Wii U can't read 3DS cards, and unlike the GC, it doesn't have an expansion bay where you could plug in an adapter that could. You could make something that plugs directly into the TV, but that wouldn't use the Wii U, so it would have to come with its own controller of some sort to use both the touch screen and the dual-screen features. The only thing I can think of is something that plugs in via USB, but is 2.0 good enough to handle the data flow for such a thing? The Wii U is almost certainly not strong enough to emulate the 3DS, so said device would have to essentially be 3DS hardware that sends an A/V signal to the Wii U which in turn would send it to the gamepad/TV, and can that all happen without a significant amount of lag? I just don't see any good way to make it work.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Artix posted:

Even if Nintendo were to do a 3DS TV adapter, how on earth would it work? The Wii U can't read 3DS cards, and unlike the GC, it doesn't have an expansion bay where you could plug in an adapter that could. You could make something that plugs directly into the TV, but that wouldn't use the Wii U, so it would have to come with its own controller of some sort to use both the touch screen and the dual-screen features. The only thing I can think of is something that plugs in via USB, but is 2.0 good enough to handle the data flow for such a thing? The Wii U is almost certainly not strong enough to emulate the 3DS, so said device would have to essentially be 3DS hardware that sends an A/V signal to the Wii U which in turn would send it to the gamepad/TV, and can that all happen without a significant amount of lag? I just don't see any good way to make it work.

We're past "bays" at this point. External devices are all USB and stay external instead of adding chassis bulk. If they were hypothetically adding it, that's how they'd do it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Artix posted:

Well... could work exactly how the Vita TV operates, just stream the bottom screen to the gamepad. No need to even go through the Wii U, use it as a stand alone box.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Come at me...

That's the wrong aspect ratio :colbert:

On a side note I remember one of the versions (either DC or GC) being overly narrow up in portrait mode on a 4:3 display, but when stretched out on 16:9 it was more accurate.

Artix posted:

Yeah actually running the games would a the problem barring some high level emulation magic and/or hidden features. Another box feeding I/O to the Wii U through USB 2 might be able to handle it cause the low resolution screens (and. compression if necessary) , but I haven't figured out the math for that to be sure, although I'd be worried about latency on top of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Crowbear posted:

The VitaTV has a slot for physical Vita games.

I didn't realize the Vita took any cards. I'd heard "no UMD dock" and thought it was entirely online-based. Looks like I was wrong, they just put games on cards which look like their special memory cards.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bruceski posted:

I didn't realize the Vita took any cards. I'd heard "no UMD dock" and thought it was entirely online-based. Looks like I was wrong, they just put games on cards which look like their special memory cards.

It's a shame because digital releases for a handheld like the Vita make the most sense, but when you pay retail in the store plus money for a memory card to save it on, it's financially the worse decision for gamers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

"Certain vita games"? What does that mean. Posting on the page of the beast.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Moon Monster posted:

It means you won't be able to play games that make heavy use of Vita-exclusive hardware features like the touchscreen or the back touchpad or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

It won't support any game with a heavy emphasis on touchscreen features.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
It's like Ouya with good hardware and games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ImpAtom posted:

It won't support any game with a heavy emphasis on touchscreen features.

Which right now means it excludes Gravity Rush, ie one of the only Vita games I really would like to play on a big screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Which right now means it excludes Gravity Rush, ie one of the only Vita games I really would like to play on a big screen.

This is the exact reaction I had. :smith:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I am experiencing a major problem with my Wii U GamePad after I moved into my apartment for college. Whenever I try to use the touchscreen, it either decides to be really unresponsive for no reason, or I touch it but it only registers on a specific spot, or it works fine. And then when I'm on the OS it decides to render the control stick useless at random times, since it's thinking that the touch screen is in use when it isn't. I want to hazard a guess that it was because I shoved it into the Wii U box and still had the shrink wrap when I first bought it, but I don't know for sure.

Is this enough reason for me to send in my GamePad for repairs, or is there a way I can fix it myself?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I am experiencing a major problem with my Wii U GamePad after I moved into my apartment for college. Whenever I try to use the touchscreen, it either decides to be really unresponsive for no reason, or I touch it but it only registers on a specific spot, or it works fine. And then when I'm on the OS it decides to render the control stick useless at random times, since it's thinking that the touch screen is in use when it isn't. I want to hazard a guess that it was because I shoved it into the Wii U box and still had the shrink wrap when I first bought it, but I don't know for sure.

Is this enough reason for me to send in my GamePad for repairs, or is there a way I can fix it myself?

Nintendos usually really quick and easy to deal with. You might as well just get them to fix or replace it while you're still under warranty.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I don't think I got a warranty, unfortunately, since I only had enough money for the console itself and was short of getting a warranty along with it at the time.

Guess I'll just have to send it in sometime. I really wanted to play Rayman Legends and W101, but I can't do it with a broken pad.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

I don't think I got a warranty, unfortunately, since I only had enough money for the console itself and was short of getting a warranty along with it at the time.

Guess I'll just have to send it in sometime. I really wanted to play Rayman Legends and W101, but I can't do it with a broken pad.

Literally every Wii U out there is still under the manufacturer's warranty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Wii is still under the manufacturer's warranty. It hasn't been out long enough to not be.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Good god Rayman Legends is the best game. I thought nothing could top Origins but this is loving fantastic.

The early murphy levels are a slog and are honestly pretty drat annoying, but later on they get pretty intense and introduce a lot of fun mechanics.

The game also includes half of Origin's levels remastered with the new engine. Overall the game has a ton of content, especially if you're a perfectionist.

Go out and buy this poo poo. I mean what the gently caress else are you playing on the WiiU?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 10, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Ubisoft just unveiled Child of Light, an absolutely beautiful JRPG running on the Rayman engine that is coming to All Consoles, including the Wii U.

I'm really excited for this!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Rayman Legends

I just finished getting the 700th Teensy last night. The game was amazing start to finish and anyone who doesn't buy it is doing themselves a big disservice.

e: Weirdly, the other 2d, hand drawn, Rayman engine game they announced, Valiant Hearts is not listed for the Wii U. Wonder why they're porting one but not the other.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 10, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well that was fast:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Ubisoft just unveiled Child of Light, an absolutely beautiful JRPG running on the Rayman engine that is coming to All Consoles, including the Wii U.

I'm really excited for this!

I remember reading about it when it was first announced and nobody knew what it was coming for. Project Rainfall talked about it and just assumed it might be for Wii U. I'm really happy to hear it is coming for Wii U.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

e: Weirdly, the other 2d, hand drawn, Rayman engine game they announced, Valiant Hearts is not listed for the Wii U. Wonder why they're porting one but not the other.

You don't want to play that game anyway. That dog is going to die at the end in a tearjerker moment.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well that was fast:

What game is he talking about?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

SilverSupernova posted:

What game is he talking about?

Presumably Child of Light

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I didn't even notice it, but apparently Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara was finally released a few days ago. I've got people coming by Thursday and we're going to raid the Tower of Doom so hard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crowbear posted:

I'm hoping this is one big mistake, this game looks so interesting and seems like a perfect fit for Wii U :(

• Locked thread