Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Deviant posted:

Edit: Disregard.

Er... oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

SRM posted:

This is why all my Valhallan blobs have three meltaguns :madmax::respek::getin:

If I ever get around to painting them, I have a ton of Mordians with meltaguns that I picked up from Fix.

A whole platoon with melta in every infantry squad. And meltagun special weapon teams. And melta CCS and PCS. And melta vets filling the other 5 troop slots.

It's a stupid amount of melta.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tadhg posted:

If I ever get around to painting them, I have a ton of Mordians with meltaguns that I picked up from Fix.

drat right, you do. And more importantly, I don't. :v:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Corrode posted:

eurhg trust me to own like one (1) plasma-gun toting Marine in my entire company's worth of Marine dudes. gently caress. I have no idea how to build lists any more.

Naramyth posted:

The meta changed when you were gone. FWIW I have like 20 melta vets that never see play now.

I disagree with switching over entirely to plasma, you're just asking to get rolled by a couple of Land Raiders or even a Necron list. Xenos have it easier than Marines because they can just spam bright lances or whatever which take care of a wide variety of threats handily but for Marines I'd want to bring either two fast/suicide melta units or have some multi-melta sources or something. The Stormraven is pretty much the best Heavy Support choice still and that comes with a tl mm, tl lascannon, and missiles.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Does anyone have a suggestion for alternate Centurion suit models?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The meta shift didn't invalidate meltaguns, it just made plasma a little more viable. There are still tanks to blow up, T4 baddies to double out, and things you want to shoot and assault.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Deviant posted:

Forgeworld Contemptor Dreadnoughts, which look way better

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're also like 3 times the size.

Puppet's War has a preview out but I wouldn't worry about buying some expensive 3rd party models. It's going to be like the Stormraven where everyone hated it and now everyone loves it/is indifferent to it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

Wait, what would be the point of this? A pistol can be used as a close combat weapon with the same statline as a chainsword, right (they're both basic CCW)? It seems like you'd be giving up the ability to shoot it as a pistol, for literally no reason. :psyduck:

Two members in a bike squad can take special weapons. Special weapons require you trade either a melee weapon or boltgun to have them. Bikers only had pistols.
The FAQ lets you trade your pistol for a melee weapon which you can trade for a special weapon.

Also the burning chariot needs to be able to move and shoot.

Edit: Centurions are on 50mm bases! Crazy!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 10, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Forgeworld Contemptor Dreadnoughts, which look way better

Let me clarify: I wanted cheaper, and similarly sized.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just realized I spent all of my WH40K budget for this month in Space Marine miniatures...and I am making an IG army :ughh:

Are SM or any of its variants good as allies for the IG? I guess I'll paint them black and use them as if they are Deathwatch troops.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deviant posted:

Holy gently caress I want some Centurions now.

Devastator centurions in solid cover could make for an extremely hard to shift firebase, especially now that Techmarines are no longer elite choices (you can take 1 of them per HQ slot used). Bolstered defenses could make them even more difficult to kill.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Deviant posted:

Best part? They're $35 cheaper

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

radlum posted:

I just realized I spent all of my WH40K budget for this month in Space Marine miniatures...and I am making an IG army :ughh:

Are SM or any of its variants good as allies for the IG? I guess I'll paint them black and use them as if they are Deathwatch troops.

I'm going to start running tigurius, a tactical squad and a thunder fire canon with my imperial guard army, and I've pretty much never ran allies with my guard.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

What are these? Are they the right size?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deviant posted:

What are these? Are they the right size?

AdMech Thallax from ForgeWorld. I think they're a little smaller than Centurions.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They are as large as a terminator and stand on terminator bases.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
I built a ton of Space wolves and Chaos for two separate armies.

While thumbing through a dusty box of old books I found the eye of terror codex and now I want to make my armies have little warp babies together and form a 13th company list.

Is there any way to safely de-bond plastic glue? Testors, specifically, or am i just going to have to physically break them apart / Exacto knife them? I hate doing that. :(

Fletchtar
May 6, 2003

Deviant posted:

Holy gently caress I want some Centurions now.

What changed that made you so excited for them? I'm probably going to put mine together tomorrow (screw all ya'll, I think they look hilarious & awesome) but completely stumped as to how I want to roll with them. Other than definitely as the Devastator option because the drills still look dumb. Also they look like they'd kinda suck at assault. But yeah.

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Perfect! These look great, too. I know it's been said before, but the good thing about the insane prices GW is charging these days is that it makes Forgeworld a viable alternative. Love to see more FW stuff on the table.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fletchtar posted:

What changed that made you so excited for them? I'm probably going to put mine together tomorrow (screw all ya'll, I think they look hilarious & awesome) but completely stumped as to how I want to roll with them. Other than definitely as the Devastator option because the drills still look dumb. Also they look like they'd kinda suck at assault. But yeah.

Take Raven Guard, put some in a scouting Land Raider, as I understand it. But now that I read that, it might not work, since Centurions are Very Bulky.

Also they look like little Space Marine dump truck analogs and that's funny to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You can stick an HQ in there to allow the LR to scout.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Germ posted:

Perfect! These look great, too. I know it's been said before, but the good thing about the insane prices GW is charging these days is that it makes Forgeworld a viable alternative. Love to see more FW stuff on the table.

On top of that, the actual unit itself has Lightning guns, loving LIGHTNING GUNS. Mechanicus stuff is cool.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 10, 2013

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So iPad version of space marine codex is gone from the store. Hopefully they are updating it and putting the army tool in it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
The Land Raider has Scout as well. It's models in the detachment. Raven Guard are probably the best way to deliver Land Raiders, White Scars aren't bad either but the Stealth is really nice. It lets you set up the Raiders for turn two assaults (turn one if you're going second) very easily, but I don't see much reason to run Assault Centurions over Assault Terminators. Swinging at I4 is nice I guess and the S9 is relevant sometimes but giving up a 3++ for that crap just seems like a bad idea. S&P is annoying too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd not be surprised that FW will do good looking models for Centurions at some point. They will cost as much as the set of 3 does each.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tequila Ranger posted:

What is it missing / needs fixing, again?

The Burning Chariot as written cannot move and fire. You see, the actual model doing the firing for this unit is not the chariot, it is an Exalted Flamer who rides the chariot. Both it's weapons are Heavy. Which means if the chariot moves, the Flamer inside can only fire Snap Shots. We're talking about a 10/10/10 armor vehicle with super short range would be mediocre even if it could move and fire. Lacking that capability takes it from subpar to completely useless. All they need to do to fix it is add one line of text to the FAQ: "Add Relentless to the Exalted Flamer's special rules". Bam, done. Why they still haven't done this is beyond me.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Deviant posted:

Take Raven Guard, put some in a scouting Land Raider, as I understand it. But now that I read that, it might not work, since Centurions are Very Bulky.

Also they look like little Space Marine dump truck analogs and that's funny to me.
It works with White Scars, assuming Khan is your Warlord, with no tricks. I didn't read the Raven Guard that carefully (the summary at the end of the book is worded differently than the main entry). But the Raven Guard will probably get FAQ errata, because Jump Infantry are automatically Bulky and wouldn't benefit from the Chapter Tactics.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

VogeGandire posted:

I'm unconvinced by Emp's Champ though. He's supposed to be The Challenge Fighter, but he has nothing that's needed to be good at challenges. He only has 2 attacks baseline and his S6 stance puts him down to I1. Otherwise he's just S4 I5 W2 with Killing Blow. Hardly a combat monster.
Despite his AP2 sword, the Emp's Champ is sadly kinda terrible. He costs more than a Captain, comes with a worse statline, and... wait, nope, that's it. You could just buy your Captain a Burning Blade and he would be the same price but +3Str without having to strike last, and if Incandescent ever triggers and manages to do a wound through T4/4++, guess what you started with an extra wound over that guy anyways!

Tequila Ranger posted:

What is it missing / needs fixing, again?
The chariot has two weapons that the rider can fire, but because they are both Heavy (and are fired by the rider itself, not by the vehicle) anytime it moves they can only make Snap Shots, meaning the template can't be used at all and the laser is looking pretty desperate. it takes what would otherwise be an expensive glass cannon and removes the cannon part.

Deviant posted:

Puppetswar seems to be doing something, which was mentioned; Mantic also has the Forgefather Iron Ancestor, a Dreadnought stand-in that could work. Basically anything Dreadnought-sized will be about the right size for Centurions, although personally I prefer something a little bit smaller because I think that the model size bloat over the past several codices (Riptides and Broadsides, Wraithknight, Centurions, etc) is pretty silly.

SRM posted:

The meta shift didn't invalidate meltaguns, it just made plasma a little more viable. There are still tanks to blow up, T4 baddies to double out, and things you want to shoot and assault.
Very much this. Necrons, Tau, and even Marines can bring a lot of AV13 to the table if they try, not to mention Land Raiders and their ilk, so having some Melta around (or an equivalent) is very important.

Fearless posted:

Devastator centurions in solid cover could make for an extremely hard to shift firebase, especially now that Techmarines are no longer elite choices (you can take 1 of them per HQ slot used). Bolstered defenses could make them even more difficult to kill.
I would be a lot less worried about Lascannons/etc shooting at Centurions than I would all of the high-strength torrent guns like Autocannons, Multilasers, Scatter Lasers, etc. AP2 weapons tend to be expensive and hard to come by, but those other guns have the numbers to bring you down, the utility that everyone brings a lot of them, and the rate of fire to push through a lot of wounds on you.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can stick an HQ in there to allow the LR to scout.
Does that work? I know that the IC gives Scout to the squad, but Scout only transfers to dedicated transports. Hrm, I'd have to reread the rules on things to see how that would interact, but you may be right.

Fukkin' Raven Guard and their arbitrary restrictions on who gets what.

Phyresis posted:

The Land Raider has Scout as well. It's models in the detachment.
Except for Iron Hands, who get a special exception, Chapter Tactics don't apply to vehicles because they don't have the rule.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Deviant posted:

Khan gives Scout to any unit of bikers or unit with a dedicated transport Scout. This is the only way to get an LR Scout; Terminators and Centurions are too fat for Raven Guard tactics for some reason.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I kind of want to do a DA army with allied Iron Hands in Land Raiders.

It's too bad that Battle Bros can't use each others transports though. It would certainly make it easier to work my piles of terminators into a list.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

vehicles don't have the chapter tactics rule so there's no scouting land raiders.

The only exception to vehicles getting a chapter tactics rule is Iron hands and that is listed as an exception.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

They better hurry up and get out a proper cultist kit out. I could chaos up my extra guardsmen, but I could never do anything nearly as good as the ones GW would make.

It's coming soon with the proper deffkopta kit...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Has anyone assembled the Centurions kit? Can they be posed in any way other than standing bolt upright? I feel like they might look cool in a more dynamic pose.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dump_Stat posted:

I built a ton of Space wolves and Chaos for two separate armies.

While thumbing through a dusty box of old books I found the eye of terror codex and now I want to make my armies have little warp babies together and form a 13th company list.

Is there any way to safely de-bond plastic glue? Testors, specifically, or am i just going to have to physically break them apart / Exacto knife them? I hate doing that. :(

Superglue yes. You can freeze it to make it brittle and then try to break the bond.

Plastic glue, no. It chemically melts the pieces together into one piece. I recommend a jeweler's saw as a useful alternative to exacto cuts. They each have their application.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rainbow warriors live! Well kinda. The chapter symbol is connected to their chapter world of Prism in ultima segmentum with Records Deleted where their name should be. Cute.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

As they said, vehicles don't get Chapter tactics. Adding a Scouting HQ works as ICs count as a squad member for all rules purposes.

LingcodKilla posted:

Rainbow warriors live! Well kinda. The chapter symbol is connected to their chapter world of Prism in ultima segmentum with Records Deleted where their name should be. Cute.

It was like that in the 5th edition book too. I guess the pop culture reference issue too out of date nowadays.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

As they said, vehicles don't get Chapter tactics. Adding a Scouting HQ works as ICs count as a squad member for all rules purposes.

It was like that in the 5th edition book too. I guess the pop culture reference issue too out of date nowadays.

Well so it was. It's been years since I really stared at the fifth Ed book. Still kinda miss the chapter traits from fourth.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bucnasti posted:

Has anyone assembled the Centurions kit? Can they be posed in any way other than standing bolt upright? I feel like they might look cool in a more dynamic pose.

It would be very hard. Their legs are one pose, though you can finagle them at the connection to get something resembling a line dance. The armor plates are molded in a single pose, and so are the hydraulics that go along the side of them. If you wanted them in any kind of better stance you would have to cut up three seperate pieces, though I guess if you had a good way of curving plasticard the armor plates wouldn't be a huge problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's what I did during the Texans/Chargers game:

The chains are nice and I think I'm done messing with this model. I guess I could add a marine helmet or two to the chains or just shorten them a little. I'm really happy with how it turned out overall and it's probably one of the most complex conversions I've done. Pretty much everything was altered in some way and I've had those Night Lords bits since like 3rd or 4th edition. I have no idea where I got an old metal raptor jump pack from though. It was my first time using tiny chains and I plan on doing something similar for my winged demon prince.

I know a jump pack isn't the best option for a lord, but this guy will be running with a large raptor unit. Yes, bikes are probably an objectively better choice. I'm building this army for theme and looks more than anything else. The non-HQ dudes will have a ton of scavenged weapons and armor. I just need to get the hang of painting tiny lightning bolts.

• Locked thread