Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

oddIXIbbo posted:

First Firewater swig goes to whomever gets the GWG

This is backwards. The liquor is before the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

JetsGuy posted:

Seriously, what good does USAH *really* do for us?

Like their catastrophic insurance is not gonna be able to help too much if you're in a *REALLY* bad injury. We're essentially paying $50/yr for a magazine subscription, right?
I think they cover poo poo over $1000 after your regular insurance. I broke my ankle in February and I'm probably gonna cash in. CHA CHING.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I drink malt liquor in the room post-game a lot. I'm a savage.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just got home from a disappointing skate- signed up for a local league as a fill in, showed up and there was only one other skater there. Stick time is fun and useful but I thought I was going to get a good game in. Apparently they called my house phone and left a message that it was cancelled due to lack of players but I had already left to get there on time.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

EvilTwig posted:

Just got home from a disappointing skate- signed up for a local league as a fill in, showed up and there was only one other skater there. Stick time is fun and useful but I thought I was going to get a good game in. Apparently they called my house phone and left a message that it was cancelled due to lack of players but I had already left to get there on time.

I think you're a little too far south to be worth it, but my Novice/D League meets in Nashua, NH. v:shobon:v I used to drive 40 minutes for my Learn To Play classes...

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
^ Thanks, but Nashua is a road trip for sure!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Started our "training camp" practices (read: started to count points for attendance) this past week and on Wednesday we are getting evaluated for AHA level. This has been a lot of fun for me because this week the wife and I decided to split up so I haven't been sleeping or eating well. Friday night my legs were shaking during warmups I was so exhausted :(

Anyway, we've told family and very close friends but haven't told the general public yet and today is a poo poo day for me and I needed to confide in a bunch of internet strangers that hopefully understand.

Don't worry, this won't turn into E/N.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
:glomp:

You internet people need to stop having lovely lives. I have enough with mine!

At least you have hockey, ey? And more space for hockey memorabilia!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The guys on the team that I've talked to are really supportive since 90% of them are divorced as well (remember, we're all veterans so the success rate there is less than ideal).

and I have you lugs in here.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I broke up with my long-term girlfriend fairly recently and I skated like an hour after I did the breaking up. I didn't play particularly well.

Point being, MAN has it been fun being single again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on super scientific locker room data collection, there's three types of people who learn to play after age 35:

a) Divorced,
b) Emergency services (cops, firemen, medics),
c) Dads with kids who just started playing.

Don't know what my deal since none of that applies to me, but other than that it's just about everyone.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Man in nine years when I'm 35 my kids will be 13 and 11 respectively; great time to get us all hockey equipment!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Based on super scientific locker room data collection, there's three types of people who learn to play after age 35:

a) Divorced,
b) Emergency services (cops, firemen, medics),
c) Dads with kids who just started playing.

Don't know what my deal since none of that applies to me, but other than that it's just about everyone.

I learned starting at 28 because hockey owns and I finally had a job that could support it.

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
Whats the best book/site out there for reading up on systems and the different ways to deploy them? I'm trying to look into set plays and how to defend against them.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Time to vent.

Played defense tonight. We played against a team that's won the league four of the last five season and haven't been kicked out because they're friends with the league director. Who actually tried to play for them. Whatever. They have a lot of team speed and the defensemen are busting rear end because we are spending 75% of the time in our zone and sprinting to get to pucks that inevitably turn over at the blue line anyways.

Our goalie isn't great, but I don't mind. Me and my partner go back to collect a puck that has been dumped in, I yell at the goalie (not mean, but to make sure he hears me) to stop it for us. Doesn't move. He just watches it go around the net. I bust my rear end to try and get it as it wraps around, but I don't get to it in time and their offense sets up and I bust my rear end and when we finally clear, I get my winded rear end to the bench.

Very next shift, same drat thing. WTF. I'm kinda pissed and yell "Goddammit goalie!!"

But I calm down and next whistle, I go over and tell him, "hey man, you gotta help us out and stop a puck or two behind the net." And he flips. "What, you want me to do your loving job!?" Well, no, it's not my job to stop dump-ins behind the net, but whatever. Well, maybe it is my job, but it's his job, too.

"Yes."

"OK, I'll do your loving job!!"

And I just think...whatever. Period ends, I head back to the bench and so does goalie, who starts up again.

"Hey, defensemen: if you don't want to do your loving jobs maybe you should move up to forward instead!!" And it gets kind of heated and there's some yelling back and forth (I don't participate) but it all calms down and we keep on playing.

We get to the locker room and we've all calmed down, and he starts explaining to me his point of view, which can be summed up as "I'm not Marty Turco, therefore I will NEVER stop a puck behind the net for you, ever."

And I just can't believe anybody would have that attitude. I know that he's not the best skater or stickhandler or whatever, but he won't even make any effort to try and stop a puck for us? Absolutely refuses? We bust our asses to keep pucks out of his net for 60 minutes and that's the teammate he is going to be? Can't help, won't even try? I'm really thinking about taking his suggestion and moving to forward, because I'm just not sure that I want to play for a goalie who straight up refuses to help out his D. I think that's totally lovely.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Hey at least your team has a goalie. The goalie for the team we played tonight was a no show. So after going over their options they decided to play the whole game 6 on 5 instead of using the top of the net, playing posts, or using a shooter tutor. We beat them 13-5 in a 0 effort game on our part where we spent most of it playing keep away and requiring everyone touch the puck before shooting weak shots at the net.

It was also probably the least fun game I've ever played. We felt bad for them, there was no energy on either side, and scoring wasn't all that enjoyable.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Time to vent.

Played defense tonight. We played against a team that's won the league four of the last five season and haven't been kicked out because they're friends with the league director. Who actually tried to play for them. Whatever. They have a lot of team speed and the defensemen are busting rear end because we are spending 75% of the time in our zone and sprinting to get to pucks that inevitably turn over at the blue line anyways.

Our goalie isn't great, but I don't mind. Me and my partner go back to collect a puck that has been dumped in, I yell at the goalie (not mean, but to make sure he hears me) to stop it for us. Doesn't move. He just watches it go around the net. I bust my rear end to try and get it as it wraps around, but I don't get to it in time and their offense sets up and I bust my rear end and when we finally clear, I get my winded rear end to the bench.

Very next shift, same drat thing. WTF. I'm kinda pissed and yell "Goddammit goalie!!"

But I calm down and next whistle, I go over and tell him, "hey man, you gotta help us out and stop a puck or two behind the net." And he flips. "What, you want me to do your loving job!?" Well, no, it's not my job to stop dump-ins behind the net, but whatever. Well, maybe it is my job, but it's his job, too.

"Yes."

"OK, I'll do your loving job!!"

And I just think...whatever. Period ends, I head back to the bench and so does goalie, who starts up again.

"Hey, defensemen: if you don't want to do your loving jobs maybe you should move up to forward instead!!" And it gets kind of heated and there's some yelling back and forth (I don't participate) but it all calms down and we keep on playing.

We get to the locker room and we've all calmed down, and he starts explaining to me his point of view, which can be summed up as "I'm not Marty Turco, therefore I will NEVER stop a puck behind the net for you, ever."

And I just can't believe anybody would have that attitude. I know that he's not the best skater or stickhandler or whatever, but he won't even make any effort to try and stop a puck for us? Absolutely refuses? We bust our asses to keep pucks out of his net for 60 minutes and that's the teammate he is going to be? Can't help, won't even try? I'm really thinking about taking his suggestion and moving to forward, because I'm just not sure that I want to play for a goalie who straight up refuses to help out his D. I think that's totally lovely.

There's definitely no excuse for his attitude, he should be willing to help out his teammates even if it's not something that he's comfortable with. I was a little confused about your description though. Was the other team dumping the puck into your zone or were they passing/clearing the puck around the boards? If the other team is already attacking, then I can understand his reluctance to leave the net, but if they are dumpins, then he can make an attempt to stop them even if it's not something he's comfortable with.

You know as well as I do that a lot of beer league goalies aren't comfortable playing the puck or even skating out of the net and some teams even discourage it, so it does create an atmosphere where a goalie may not view playing the puck as part of his responsibilities. He should still help out when asked, but it sounds like he was frustrated by having the puck stuck his zone all game and he may have been overloaded with the thought of doing something he was uncomfortable with on top of everything else it.

How much do you play the puck when you're in net? I'll stop some dumpins and play the puck if the opportunity presents itself, but normally my defensemen just want me to stay out of the way. I've started playing the puck more in some situations and I suspect that I'll need to get even more involved in that aspect of the game this season. It's hard because confidence is everything with playing the puck, but it can get frustrating when your D gets mad at you for playing the puck. Usually, it's not a mistake, but they seem to get on edge if I wait "too long" to pass or clear the puck even though I'm purposely trying to draw in the attacker to create space for me to pass or clear the puck out of harms way. Goalies playing the puck is a really underdeveloped skill in beer leagues.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Flyinglemur posted:

The guys on the team that I've talked to are really supportive since 90% of them are divorced as well (remember, we're all veterans so the success rate there is less than ideal).

and I have you lugs in here.

My 6 year relationship with my girlfriend ended in March, man I had a lot of pent up aggression that hockey helped me get out, went thru the same anxiety caused lack of eating which sucked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Over the holidays, I broke up with my ex of 3 years pretty much because she didn't like hockey. She also took my dog.

In summary, girls who don't like hockey are dumb.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

She also took my dog.

That's some ice cold poo poo right there. I don't think I could give up a dog. Not for a going-to-be-ex anyways.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Over the holidays, I broke up with my ex of 3 years pretty much because she didn't like hockey. She also took my dog.

In summary, girls who don't like hockey are dumb.

I've done that twice in the past 4 years.

Hockey: never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, but it will bag skate you and desert you in a corner only to get railed by 2 large men.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

She also took my dog.

:stare: What the gently caress.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My wife is taking our three legged cat, Lemew. :(

But I am keeping the other cat and the two ducks, so there's that.

Eventually I will adopt another cat, name it Bylsma and kick it off the deck a bunch of times.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Flyinglemur posted:

My wife is taking our three legged cat, Lemew. :(

But I am keeping the other cat and the two ducks, so there's that.

Eventually I will adopt another cat, name it Bylsma and kick it off the deck a bunch of times.

The only true SAS Hockey pet is Turtle Sidney Crosby :colbert:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

JetsGuy posted:

The only true SAS Hockey pet is Turtle Sidney Crosby :colbert:

Geno the duck and the late Sid the duck beg to differ, but I am a huge fan of TSC. How could you not be?

That said, Meowio Lemew would steal your heart if you could see her tearing rear end around the house on her three legs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
To be fair, Lemew usually stays back behind the D for the stretch squeaky mouse to take down the hall on a breakaway.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

There's definitely no excuse for his attitude, he should be willing to help out his teammates even if it's not something that he's comfortable with. I was a little confused about your description though. Was the other team dumping the puck into your zone or were they passing/clearing the puck around the boards? If the other team is already attacking, then I can understand his reluctance to leave the net, but if they are dumpins, then he can make an attempt to stop them even if it's not something he's comfortable with.

You know as well as I do that a lot of beer league goalies aren't comfortable playing the puck or even skating out of the net and some teams even discourage it, so it does create an atmosphere where a goalie may not view playing the puck as part of his responsibilities. He should still help out when asked, but it sounds like he was frustrated by having the puck stuck his zone all game and he may have been overloaded with the thought of doing something he was uncomfortable with on top of everything else it.

How much do you play the puck when you're in net? I'll stop some dumpins and play the puck if the opportunity presents itself, but normally my defensemen just want me to stay out of the way. I've started playing the puck more in some situations and I suspect that I'll need to get even more involved in that aspect of the game this season. It's hard because confidence is everything with playing the puck, but it can get frustrating when your D gets mad at you for playing the puck. Usually, it's not a mistake, but they seem to get on edge if I wait "too long" to pass or clear the puck even though I'm purposely trying to draw in the attacker to create space for me to pass or clear the puck out of harms way. Goalies playing the puck is a really underdeveloped skill in beer leagues.

It was both, I think. I don't really remember the details.

Yeah, I can certainly relate to being nervous and uncomfortable playing the puck, but...come on. I mean, you're a goalie right? If you signed up and thought you'd avoid having nervous or uncomfortable moments then you clearly made an awful choice.

Overall, it's just messed up and a lovely attitude to have toward your teammates and like you said, there's no excuse for it.

In terms of my net playing, I don't play that frequently anymore and when I do, it's drop-in so it's kind of lazy as it is. I do my best to stop everything I can before it gets out of reach for the defense and I try to set them up in a good spot or make a simple pass for them. I don't try to make any stretch passes or breakout, it's just too much for my limited skill.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

It was both, I think. I don't really remember the details.

Yeah, I can certainly relate to being nervous and uncomfortable playing the puck, but...come on. I mean, you're a goalie right? If you signed up and thought you'd avoid having nervous or uncomfortable moments then you clearly made an awful choice.

Overall, it's just messed up and a lovely attitude to have toward your teammates and like you said, there's no excuse for it.

In terms of my net playing, I don't play that frequently anymore and when I do, it's drop-in so it's kind of lazy as it is. I do my best to stop everything I can before it gets out of reach for the defense and I try to set them up in a good spot or make a simple pass for them. I don't try to make any stretch passes or breakout, it's just too much for my limited skill.

Handling pressure is a big part of goaltending. Hopefully, he'll realize that he acted like an rear end and learn from his mistakes.

How is your ankle doing? Are you getting close to being able to play more net or do you think you'll be skating out for the foreseeable future?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
What would you guys do?

Guy pays league fees
Breaks foot before the season starts
Asks for a refund of his league fees

Our league chargers per team so its league fees/size of roster. So to refund him we need to find another player or charge everyone else more.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

poser posted:

What would you guys do?

Guy pays league fees

Our league chargers per team so its league fees/size of roster. So to refund him we need to find another player or charge everyone else more.

I would say that since he didn't even play a game yet give him a refund and try to find someone to fill his spot. What would his cut be anyway? Another $50 per person?

Actually looking back, I was in a similar situation. Sprained my ankle a month before my inline season a few years ago. Missed the first four games but played the rest.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 10, 2013

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

poser posted:

What would you guys do?

Guy pays league fees

That's a tough one. I can see asking everyone to chip in to cover his fee if no one can replace him BUT I can also see the point that life happens and he made a commitment as well.

Or go the Herb Brooks way and say "Foot huh? That seems like it's pretty far from your heart. Work harder."

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

See what the team wants to do, if not try to put it on him to find a sub.

I would also go to the league to see if they will cut you some slack or have someone on a waiting list ready to join a team.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've had a couple seasons where I got hurt early on and just had to eat the registration fees. It sucked to pay to not play, but that's how things go sometime. That being said, I agree with sellouts on the idea of talking to commissioner or perhaps your teammates and seeing if you can find a player to replace him. If you can find a replacement player, have him pay the injured guy and everything is good. If your team would rather just not fill that roster spot, then the decision you have is to make him eat the cost or have everyone chip in $30, so they can get more ice time.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

See what the team wants to do, if not try to put it on him to find a sub.

I would also go to the league to see if they will cut you some slack or have someone on a waiting list ready to join a team.

I should add that his league fees were $569 and our season runs to April.

poser fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 10, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not sure any of that is relevant? :confused:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Handling pressure is a big part of goaltending. Hopefully, he'll realize that he acted like an rear end and learn from his mistakes.

How is your ankle doing? Are you getting close to being able to play more net or do you think you'll be skating out for the foreseeable future?
Ankle is doing well. I basically don't think about it anymore, which is good and bad. I probably need to work on strengthening it, but I just don't because it doesn't really bother me day to day. I think at this point, it's not stopping me from playing net.

What's really stopping me is lifestyle. My job/hours change month to month, so it's hard to a team to play with regularly and the shinny I usually tend for is outdoor and therefore winter only. I've been skating out twice a week and that's probably too much so it may be awhile/never before I find a goaltending spot that really works with my need for flexibility. Which is too bad, because I'd really like to get back to it.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

poser posted:

It is always a good idea to collect an extra player's worth for the league dues for just such an occasion. If you have 13 players, collect for 14. stuff always happens, guy gets hurt, full-timers become half timers, etc. It's a small amount per person and you can rest assured that you're prepared. If there is anything left at the end of the season, either refund/party or build a fund for jerseys or something.

In this case, you've gotta pass a hat and do right by the guy. He's got plenty of things to worry about without throwing away $550 for one hockey game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

oddIXIbbo posted:

It is always a good idea to collect an extra player's worth for the league dues for just such an occasion. If you have 13 players, collect for 14. stuff always happens, guy gets hurt, full-timers become half timers, etc. It's a small amount per person and you can rest assured that you're prepared. If there is anything left at the end of the season, either refund/party or build a fund for jerseys or something.

In this case, you've gotta pass a hat and do right by the guy. He's got plenty of things to worry about without throwing away $550 for one hockey game.

For what it's worth on my team fee leagues this would never fly (the team would light you on fire) and sets a terrible precedent for when someone gets hurt.

"Well you gave the other guy his money back! I am missing games I want mine back too!"

40-50+ dollars isn't a small amount to some of the blue collar guys on the team and I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more than they have to to take care of themselves. You should make sure every team member is ok if you do this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Both of my teams pretty much have a waiting list of players who want to join, so if someone gets hurt, it's usually not a big deal.

But since he got injured before the season, I'd refund his cash and find someone else to plug the spot. Or have the replacement pay the original player.

poser posted:

That's it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

sellouts posted:

For what it's worth on my team fee leagues this would never fly (the team would light you on fire) and sets a terrible precedent for when someone gets hurt.

"Well you gave the other guy his money back! I am missing games I want mine back too!"

40-50+ dollars isn't a small amount to some of the blue collar guys on the team and I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more than they have to to take care of themselves. You should make sure every team member is ok if you do this.

Yeah, we made it pretty clear early on that once the schedule is posted, you make your games...period. We all understood that it's a weird game, stuff happens but after the first few games, no one really had a claim for getting paid back. Every dollar coming in and going out was public to the whole team and we all knew what was up. The 'overage' was everyone's money and we all had a say.

I guess most of my guys were understanding and we ended up getting jerseys and pucks every few seasons out of the funds without too much hassle.

There were a ton of full-season to half-season changes and as a manager, it was great not to sweat it when a player gets hurt or a guy gets his job shifts changed.