Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"By the way, it's Steve. Steve Bismuth."

Alternate joke: Ask your doctor if Lunesta is right for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mirage posted:

"By the way, it's Steve. Steve Bismuth."

Alternate joke: Ask your doctor if Lunesta is right for you!

Alternative alternate joke: Gunnerkrigg getting down to Bismuth

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
To learn more 'bout

Jon Joe posted:

Alternative alternate joke: Gunnerkrigg getting down to Bismuth

Joke evolution:
Lets get down to bismuth,
Ysengrin's real fun,
Beating up those strange men,
Won't stop til they're done!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the Pitcher Plant idea.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Woke up to find-whoever bought me the new avatar (and title!), thank you so much, it's amazing :3:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Just makes it look as though it's pulsating, like a beating heart, which seems even more appropriate to me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Battle Pigeon posted:

Woke up to find-whoever bought me the new avatar (and title!), thank you so much, it's amazing :3:

I like that the avatar fairy is now putting links to gunnerkrigg in titles. The fairy is evolving.

Looks like this chapter is going to be... *sunglasses* ... seriouth bithmuth.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
It probably saves people some trouble since they're all the time posting

Some Goon posted:

I reverse-image-searched an avatar and then I read the entire archive of Gunnerkrigg and now I'm here because there won't be another page until [Monday/Wednesday/Friday] here's a page I like this is such a great comic

Some Other Goon posted:

I clicked your link and wow I never realized before how much Tom's art style has evolved and then I ended up reading the entire comic again. Thanks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Heavy Zed posted:

Literally every PM I've ever gotten has been people asking about Gunnerkrigg.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

The red gives it a very ominous feeling.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tom, if this is the Seed Bismuth, I want this guy on a shirt.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Heavy Zed posted:

The avatar fairy is the Seed Bismuth. From it, the thread grows :tinfoil:

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Is the website down? I started reading this morning, pounded through the archives all day, and I just came back from the grocery store to the horror of the site not loading. If it is down, is there a mirror site? I'm not sure I'm capable of doing anything else besides pressing f5 until the website comes back up for me.

I really don't want to stumble on any spoilers, so I haven't read any recent posts. Could someone respond with a PM? Thanks!

edit: answered. Thanks!

Zypher fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 11, 2013

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
We already did that image search, Tom! We're your biggest fansaaaghgh

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

This comic has all just been a really long PSA about how awesome bismuth looks.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

That must have been a real pain to draw.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Well, :ms:.

Honestly we're full of evidence that the old humans are kind of dickish at this point. I'm more curious as to the inner workings of the modern court, which we've only gotten glimpses of.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
HOW is his art so pretty??
This moth produces flashbacks which are visual for the reader. You can't do that if you lie. Therefore this is without a doubt the real seed.

So, originally the court was supposed to be a sanctuary for all creatures. But humans where racist jerks, so they chased everyone else away and tried to use the court as a base to conquer the rest of the forrest.
Yeah. That seems like something humans would do.

Gunnerkrigg court is (amongst other things) an allegory of the destruction of tribal races. It just happened in an alternate universe, where a divine coyote suddenly produced an impassable ravine, stopping the settlers.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense, that the seed is on that side of the ravine. The court probably only grew around it, but the humans pushed it to expand. Therefore they kept locating it to the borders, where it was cut off from the rest.
This theory only makes sense, if the court stopped growing afterwards. Was that ever established?

I really wonder if Ys knew anything about this. The chapter might end with him telling Annie, that she missed all his important lectures about gaining respect and that this means that the trip was a waste of time.

I am really jealous of all these posters with their avatars.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Humans are jerks! :mad:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
At this point, I'm especially curious about the link between Kat and the Seed. And Antimony's name. I wonder if their mothers met the Seed as well and set something in motion? Or maybe it was Coyote (it is always Coyote).

The Court must have been beautiful when it was part of the Forest.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Also, ooooooooooooooooh, pretty.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Hodgepodge posted:

The Court must have been beautiful when it was part of the Forest.

We've seen the court before they were separated by Coyote during the flashback of Jeanne in The Coward Heart. The art implies it was separated while she was alive and with the forest guy. Looked like a nice college campus :)

Also, serious Bismuth fairy. The tower and bismuth are left in because towers and bismuth are both awesome <:mad:>

Bismuth is awesome...so awesome...

Have a chunk of it laying around in my house somewhere...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
This feels too easy, as resolutions to plot questions go.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does the element Bismuth react to the element Antimony?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't know about those elements in specific, but considering they're both semi-metals in the same column they're likely pretty similar to each other and won't react in any particularly interesting way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

It recounts the history of the court! :v:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

RandomPauI posted:

A very, very cursory bit of googling reveals they're chemically quite similar (they are adjacent group 15 elements), although Bismuth tends to have lower toxicity. Both elements are produced when smelting lead.

Not seeing much story applicability there myself, to be honest.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So it's like a splice between magic and technology, but does it exist in the Ether? How did humans will it to grow too fast, did they ask it or concentrate their minds on it like the WH40k Orkz? Did Coyote help in creating it? Is it Coyote? What happens when you lick it?

I love when something rises more questions then it answers :allears:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
My guess is that the Court is trying to understand the Ether scientifically to replace their severed dependence on the Seed. Having lost their patron spirit, they choose to attempt to replace it with themselves.

That would make Kat a sort of Seed Bismuth that has grown out of the latent untapped potential of using the Ether and Technology without expecting the former to the follow the same epistemological rules as the latter that have lingered behind in the wake of the Seed.

Wyld Karde posted:

A very, very cursory bit of googling reveals they're chemically quite similar (they are adjacent group 15 elements), although Bismuth tends to have lower toxicity. Both elements are produced when smelting lead.

Given the alchemical themes of the strip, the relevant reactions would not be proper chemical reactions, but their reactions and properties in alchemy.

Edit: I suspect that the Seed is/was a creature comparable to Coyote, or capable of growing The Court into one.

I wonder if creatures like Coyote are currently free to manifest physically outside the Court/Forest and equivalent places? If not, Coyote may simply want this to happen so be will be free to directly interact with humanity at large again.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 11, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Court/Forest divide happened back in the old, elaborate-architecture era, but the endless, sprawling court we see is mostly modern. I wonder what's happening. If perhaps the growth is still going on or somehow being stimulated, divided from the seed.

Also I want some bismuth crystals now.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 11, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I suppose it's basically the same deal as the robot design. The first generation directly built by Diego was very ornate and elaborate, while the the current generation mostly has a streamlined, functional and boxy look. (With some exceptions like the mantis-shaped weather bot.)

In fact it might even be the robots' doing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

HOW is his art so pretty??
This moth produces flashbacks which are visual for the reader. You can't do that if you lie. Therefore this is without a doubt the real seed.

That also means that Janet and William's stories were 100% fact.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also it means you've never seen like, a shitload of movies I can't name without spoiling their entire concept.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm still somewhat dubious, but you know, there is a little bit of a resemblance:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm still somewhat dubious, but you know, there is a little bit of a resemblance:

Oh, goddamnit brain, now I'm never not gonna be able to see that as a cyclops dude with horns and wings.

He's even got little arms open wide and everything.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of movies we won't name how do we know that this isn't Marcellus Wallace's soul?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RandomPauI posted:

Speaking of movies we won't name how do we know that this isn't Marcellus Wallace's soul?

It's not in a suitcase?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wyld Karde posted:

So if you buried Annie in the ground she'd grow into a court of her own?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blackheart posted:

That also means that Janet and William's stories were 100% fact.

Well, of course. Are we even reading the same webcomic? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The art in the last few pages has been amazing. Getting a series of mysterious almost-answers that we won't fully understand until later has never looked so pretty.

What I'm interested to know is that if these ruins are totally separate from the court, where they ever part of it? And if so, why do they look to be more stone than concrete and metal. We haven't really seen any other court ruins on the way in, so perhaps the Court itself is a separate thing. After all - the Bismuth isn't the spirit of the court, just these ruins.