Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This popped up on Netflix. I love how unashamedly it tries to make people think it's the Amityville Horror, down to mimicking the typeface and making the "my" blend in with the background as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This popped up on Netflix. I love how unashamedly it tries to make people think it's the Amityville Horror, down to mimicking the typeface and making the "my" blend in with the background as much as possible.

Growing up, Amityville Horror stuff was considered dumb enough that it was tantamount to watching wrestling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Growing up, Amityville Horror stuff was considered dumb enough that it was tantamount to watching wrestling.

Amityville Horror is one of those things like Ancient Aliens where they don't let being completely discredited slow them down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm pretty dang excited for this.

Why, did the Weinsteins rescind their order for a braindead US edit?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Amityville Horror is one of those things like Ancient Aliens where they don't let being completely discredited slow them down.

Reading from the reviews, My Amityvile Horror is about Daniel Lutz, the eldest son of the family. It supposedly takes a more skeptical view of the proceedings, with a lot of the cause likely his relationship with his then-stepfather.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Young Freud posted:

Reading from the reviews, My Amityvile Horror is about Daniel Lutz, the eldest son of the family. It supposedly takes a more skeptical view of the proceedings, with a lot of the cause likely his relationship with his then-stepfather.

muscles like this? posted:

So is it about the kid getting harassed by idiots who insist that all the supernatural stuff is true?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

So is it about the kid getting harassed by idiots who insist that all the supernatural stuff is true?

Somewhat. He's retelling his story, but it's him at 40 and supposedly you can tell he's had some issues. There's a lot of psychoanalytical commentary that kinda delves into the family dynamics of the Lutz. There's is also an examination of his brush with fame.

The climax is supposedly his reunion with Lorraine Warren, who has gone completely off the deep end, keeping roosters in her home and hoarding "supernatural" items, like a splinter of the "True Cross".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/my-amityville-horror-film-review-395040
http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-03-13/film/my-amityville-horror-revisits-the-hauntings-of-daniel-lutz/
http://badassdigest.com/2012/09/24/fantastic-fest-review-my-amityville-horror-is-supernaturally-powerful/

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Why, did the Weinsteins rescind their order for a braindead US edit?

What's this? Is the american release going to be butchered?

Edit: ARRGH
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

I HATE the weinsteins. I hate the seemingly monopoly they have on good foreign films and their utter disdain for intelligent audiences. The film cost $40 to make, is he expecting a Transformer style block buster?

I refuse to see this movie now in theatres, which sucks because I really want Bong to succeed.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 10, 2013

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It really is a pity about the edit, as the film moves really fast as is. I'm not really sure what they're going to trim out.

Movie is great, btw.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Autechresaint posted:

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

I HATE the weinsteins. I hate the seemingly monopoly they have on good foreign films and their utter disdain for intelligent audiences. The film cost $40 to make, is he expecting a Transformer style block buster?

I refuse to see this movie now in theatres, which sucks because I really want Bong to succeed.

I don't like this article because it implies that the Weinsteins cut Princess Mononoke. Ghibli heard it got passed off to miramax so they sent a katana with a note that said "No Cuts". Miramax wound up not making any of the cuts they were planning.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So between cut fuckery with the likes of Snowpiercer and The Grandmaster, are the DVDs/blus likely to have the original cut or is this all we're ever going to get?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Worst case you can probably import a disc from the EU, no? Do BluRay's still have the regional locks that DVDs did?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Some do.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Bugblatter posted:

Worst case you can probably import a disc from the EU, no? Do BluRay's still have the regional locks that DVDs did?
Unfortunately yes, though there're a lot fewer -- just three, with one shared between North and South America (except poor old Greenland) along with Japan, Korea, and a bunch of other east and southeast Asian countries:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Autechresaint posted:

For once it feels good to be in the European audience. Now I just hope Snowpiercer is as good as it looks.

And as an side? That name. Holy poo poo. Snowpiercer. Say it. Awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's a pretty drat big penis.

Also a great poster.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I don't like this article because it implies that the Weinsteins cut Princess Mononoke. Ghibli heard it got passed off to miramax so they sent a katana with a note that said "No Cuts". Miramax wound up not making any of the cuts they were planning.

Yeah they were really pissed about what another company had done to Nausica.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Bugblatter posted:

If you are going to import it, import from South Korea. They have excellent quality DVD/BluRays over there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Unfortunately yes, though there're a lot fewer -- just three, with one shared between North and South America (except poor old Greenland) along with Japan, Korea, and a bunch of other east and southeast Asian countries:

What's weird is that though this is credited with helping Sony win the format war (HD-DVD had no such protection), the major releases rarely use it. Criterion does just in case of licensing hassles (which is a shame), but the big studio's titles, even sometimes catalog stuff, are very often region-free.

It's likely they're slowly, painfully grasping the idea that a sale is a sale, but can't quite let go of their control mechanisms.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Yeah they were really pissed about what another company had done to Nausica.

About the only 'controversy' I remember from Mononoke were weeaboos griping about how they translated miso in one scene from 'water' to 'piss' to make it sound more harsh to american audiences who wouldn't understand that calling someone's soup 'water' is a pretty big insult.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Autechresaint posted:

They edit Snowpiercer for the "stupids" and give us poo poo like Transformers, they have it backwards. I'm positive Snowpiercer will be easy to follow but when I saw Transformers 2 I had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's weird is that though this is credited with helping Sony win the format war (HD-DVD had no such protection), the major releases rarely use it. Criterion does just in case of licensing hassles (which is a shame), but the big studio's titles, even sometimes catalog stuff, are very often region-free.

It's likely they're slowly, painfully grasping the idea that a sale is a sale, but can't quite let go of their control mechanisms.

It's not just that it's that a lot of the contacts the studios have for foreign distribution include home video and broadcast, they're being renegotiated but a the foreign companies still have a lot of power since most people don't get entertainment from the Internet where they could make a direct sale.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Ez posted:

They edit Snowpiercer for the "stupids" and give us poo poo like Transformers, they have it backwards. I'm positive Snowpiercer will be easy to follow but when I saw Transformers 2 I had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Someone on imdb basically said it best, why edit a movie down for an audience that won't go see it to begin with. I don't know anyone outside indie/foreign film circles who is interested in this film, much less know who the hell some korean director is. Editing it down to an action flick will only do more to hurt the guy's rep across the board if the movie suffers for it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Get a load of this piece of crap!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
What a wierd fraction. Is this one of those imaginary numbers?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If you didn't know about Ender's Game you would assume Harrison Ford is Ender.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zenintrude posted:

Bad movie, bad poster, what's the problem?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hasters posted:

Bad movie, bad poster, what's the problem?

Based on a terrible book by a horrible human being. This is the meaning of the fraction - its trying to divide by sheer badness.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Based on a terrible book by a horrible human being. This is the meaning of the fraction - its trying to divide by sheer badness.

As far as I know Ender's Game is considered the only good Orson Scott Card book?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

zenintrude posted:

3/4 stars?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

zenintrude posted:

The only way to win is not to play.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

As far as I know Ender's Game is considered the only good Orson Scott Card book?

It's all relative.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

That implies that Orson Scott Card wrote at least one good book.

He didn't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zenintrude posted:

I see that tagline and all I can think is "yeah, I know. It's a movie."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

davidspackage posted:

I see that tagline and all I can think is "yeah, I know. It's a movie."

It does however look like a video game, so I can see why they feel the need to clarify to everyone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Man, Harrison Ford is really old now. :smith:

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

zenintrude posted:

The thing that bothers me the most with this is how it looks like Harrison Ford's billing is slightly above everyone elses (even though it's not) and it's seriously loving with my eyes.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

zenintrude posted:

"and Ben Kingsly (who really has to poop)"

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zenintrude posted:

Glad the lovely Iron Man poster is still getting copied years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Giving away the twist in the tagline. Nice