Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
One of the advantages of working at home is that my supervisors are much cuter than yours.

Album
If this belongs in the Working in IT thread, whoops.
E: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

blackswordca posted:

I have a contract but from what I can tell its worthless. The personal who signed it apparently has no authority to sign contracts for this organization.

Google "apparent authority." A principal can still be bound even if the person signing the contract supposedly did not have authority.

Even if there is no contract due to lack of authority, you could still recover under the theory of unjust enrichment.

I dunno how much money we're talking about here, but just take them to small claims court. You will win. Small claims court is a bizarro world where the burden of proof shifts to the defendant - plaintiffs seem to always get something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you don't want to renew that website, PM me the address and I'll buy it when it expires. I'll probably use it to show off pictures of my car or aquarium.

I've been wanting to learn Web Development and it'd be nice to start with a website that people already have in their favorites bar.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
blackswordca you are a goon in a well.

Please consider what the folks in this thread are telling you.

I've recently ran up against an issue with iTunes. Apparently if you have a redirected appdata folder iTunes flat out wont sync with your iDevice. Apple really doesn't do enterprise well.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you don't want to renew that website, PM me the address and I'll buy it when it expires. I'll probably use it to show off pictures of my car or aquarium.

I've been wanting to learn Web Development and it'd be nice to start with a website that people already have in their favorites bar.

I would straight up ransom that domain, as well as all the others they might run for. I'm not at all afraid of twisting the arms of anybody who deserves it.

Blacksword, it's your domain now. You own that poo poo and they acknowledged so with your "volunteer" status. Hold it hostage. If they want it so bad, they can make an offer. What's going to happen, you get fired? Isn't getting out of there kind of the whole idea right now? You should copyright all the work you've done so far and ransom that poo poo, too.

I don't know, but you've got to do something. Their abusing you, you know that.

If you won't do it, leak the domain and let someone else snatch it up.

EDIT: Yeah, this is bad advice, don't listen to me. But for your own sake, throw some weight around and don't let them walk all over you.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, 70 new posts, I wonder what glorious story there is to r...

:jebstare:

Now, I'll admit I'm one of those people who try to diffuse a situation, but even I know that a contract is a contract in business, no matter who signs it (oh hey, being a massive Star Trek nerd has taught me something).

An excuse of "this person does not have the right to sign the contract" should have been brought up before they signed the contract, not after. It's their drat problem, not yours.

I would demand payment or tell them that the site is going down. You've been over-generous.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo, 70 new posts, I wonder what glorious story there is to r...

:jebstare:

Now, I'll admit I'm one of those people who try to diffuse a situation, but even I know that a contract is a contract in business, no matter who signs it (oh hey, being a massive Star Trek nerd has taught me something).

An excuse of "this person does not have the right to sign the contract" should have been brought up before they signed the contract, not after. It's their drat problem, not yours.

I would demand payment or tell them that the site is going down. You've been over-generous.

It's one of the few times where holding the site hostage is legal and that's what you should be doing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

It's one of the few times where holding the site hostage is legal and that's what you should be doing.

Renew the domain, suspend the site with a message that is correct but makes them look bad. "Your business account has been suspended for delinquency. Please contact your provider to make billing arrangements."

The worse it looks on them, the quicker they'll want to sort it out. If you can make e-mail to them bounce back with a message of suspended for non payment, that's a bonus.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 10, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

less than three posted:

Renew the domain, suspend the site with a message that is correct but makes them look bad. "Your business account has been suspended for delinquency. Please contact your provider to make billing arrangements."

The worse it looks on them, the quicker they'll want to sort it out. If you can make e-mail to them bounce back with a message of suspended for non payment, that's a bonus.

This is the correct answer.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

frogbert posted:

blackswordca you are a goon in a well.

Please consider what the folks in this thread are telling you.

I've recently ran up against an issue with iTunes. Apparently if you have a redirected appdata folder iTunes flat out wont sync with your iDevice. Apple really doesn't do enterprise well.
Yeah, iTunes is stupid about redirected AppData and really hates UNC paths for certain stuff it stores (most notably the MobileSync folder). I haven't been able to find a way to change where it puts the MobileSync folder, either.

This has been an issue since the version of iTunes that came with iOS 4.3 was released but there's a workaround: manually create the MobileSync\Backup folders in the %appdata%\Apple Computer folder and it should allow the sync to work properly. One caveat with this is that it's going to be pushing device backups onto the drive that AppData is redirected to so you might have quota issues.

Sync services will complain about not being able to load provider data (UNC paths again) when you plug in the iOS device, but everything else seems to work.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It's a wonderful day.

First printers (as usual)
then Adobe
and now Google wants me to make a goddamn Google account to assign a company CC to Google Wallet to pay for a renewal of Google Earth Pro. What the gently caress, Google?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

drukqs posted:

:laffo::laffo: Mr. Helpdesk

Mister Helpdesk
Send me a dream
Make my computer the fastest I've seen.
Give me a mailbox without any quota.
Don't care about policies one iota!

Mister Helpdesk
I'm such a dunce
I spilled my coffee and dumped out my lunch
and now my laptop will no longer function
I'll dump my problems on you without compunction!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nitrogen posted:

Mister Helpdesk
Send me a dream

Mister Helpdesk
I'm such a dunce

:golfclap:

Looking forward to blackswordca's response. I'd also love to know if this is a business, or a non-profit, or what. I'd also love to know if their site even gets traffic.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
blackswordca is the corvettefisher for the new thread.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

demonachizer posted:

blackswordca is the corvettefisher for the new thread.

Be fair, he's sending out resumes and even had an interview.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

BurgerQuest posted:

Email chat: ridiculously graphical corporate signatures repeated over and over in long chains.
Tell me about it. We have this huge sig too that is autogenerated by a tool that runs at login. It's almost 400 pixels tall, includes an advertisement banner, and the obligatory retarded "this email is confidential, if you received this email by mistake you must so and so" line. I got so fed up of it that I used SysMon to find the registry key that Outlook stores its settings in with regards to auto-signatures. If anyone else wants a quick way of setting both your default auto-signatures to (none), here it is:
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook\9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676\00000003]
"New Signature"=hex:28,00,6e,00,6f,00,6e,00,65,00,29,00,00,00
"Reply-Forward Signature"=hex:28,00,6e,00,6f,00,6e,00,65,00,29,00,00,00
This is for Office 2010, but I assume it works on other versions.

At least I'm doing my part in not making GBS threads up email chains, and when sending an email to an EXTERNAL person, the only place where it is actually useful with a signature, I can plop in the signature with Alt+H+A+S Enter.

However, I'm the arch enemy of you BOFHs with your nazi email quotas. I have over 30,000 emails in my inbox and never delete anything. I don't do big attachments, though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Our signatures are added automatically when sent externally because of local legal requirements. It sucks.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Blackswordca's life could be a sitcom. I understand your politeness, as a fellow Canuckistanian.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

Mister Helpdesk
Send me a dream

Mister Helpdesk
I'm such a dunce

Helpdesk,
I'm so alone,
Can't find the password for my IP phone,
Please, my mailbox is full,
Mr Helpdesk do the needfull.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Well the new smell is off the YOTJ and the warranty has expired. Their Service Delivery Excellence project turned out to be what I expected, metrics, metrics, metrics. They are starting to send out emails to improve the metric of the week, and will shortly be starting competition between teams, based on metrics, which is what destroyed my old job. The managers and teams that did best were the ones that fudged the metrics best. I'm flashing back to my first IT job in a call center where they had your average call time written on a balloon above your desk.

Fake edit. Just got my first metric review and I am crushing them. The old me would have been excited to be doing well. The new me can see the hamster wheel.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Well the new smell is off the YOTJ and the warranty has expired. Their Service Delivery Excellence project turned out to be what I expected, metrics, metrics, metrics. They are starting to send out emails to improve the metric of the week, and will shortly be starting competition between teams, based on metrics, which is what destroyed my old job. The managers and teams that did best were the ones that fudged the metrics best. I'm flashing back to my first IT job in a call center where they had your average call time written on a balloon above your desk.

Fake edit. Just got my first metric review and I am crushing them. The old me would have been excited to be doing well. The new me can see the hamster wheel.

Worst way to run a call center ever, thank god my work knows better. You definitely need to YOTJ again

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MF_James posted:

Worst way to run a call center ever, thank god my work knows better. You definitely need to YOTJ again

This will eventually happen in *ANY* call center type/support environment.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SubjectVerbObject posted:

A freshly minted director tried implementing metrics back when I was at the help desk. Turns out, doctors and nurses prefer customer service and answers to questions and don't give a poo poo about average call times.

Her tenure was short and since her last name rhymed with "evil" well, I think you can guess the rest.

As for the other purpose of this thread:

HP's Support Portal is down for the second day running. Not fun when I have to use email/phone for everything.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Sadly, the YOTJ stuff may have to wait, as my wife has it even worse. She will most likely be fired at the end of this school year because her students will not show improvement on standardized tests. She teaches non verbal, severely autistic elementary school kids, but there is no provision for their exclusion from testing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nitrogen posted:

The call center I work at has been around for like 15-20 years and has always been run without using stupid metrics. This is also a family owned company so that might have something to do with it. I don't even see it happening when the old man steps down and lets his son take over.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Edit: SALR somehow posted this in the wrong thread.

Content: I hate call center metrics. They're a blight when taken to extremes...and every call center takes them to extremes eventually.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

nitrogen posted:

I think this is Pournelle's law of bureaucracy happening. When an organization gets large enough, you gain promotion by serving the organization rather than serving the organization's purpose. So metrics make the organization look good, and you have to make the metrics look good instead of providing good customer service. They talk like good metrics = good customer service, but there are always opposing goals.

We just went from 1 manager for 24 engineers to 6 managers over 4 engineers plus 4 tier 1. I would say the organization is getting large enough.

edit: And to be sure I am not in a call center. I am a support engineer that gets tickets escalated to me. Not that much difference, but at least (for now) I am not logged into my phone.

SubjectVerbObject fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 10, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My company was recently purchased by a larger one, and we're in the process of switching support structures from our existing (free-form, collaborative, fixing-it-right-is-better-than-fixing-it-fast) support structure to the new parent company's, which is highly focused on metrics.

It's been a disaster. The first guy they trained over there got railed on for his poor metrics with the new product, daily.

But the simple fact is that our product is far, far more complicated than the existing one. Ten minute calls simply don't exist for our product(s). Hell, it can take over an hour, on a simple system, to do a full configuration and initial testing.

Even I, who has more customer-facing experience with my product than anyone, could not meet their metrics. I couldn't come close.

Eventually the guy they trained over there, the one that was hand-picked for his ability, dedication, and general all-around awesomeness, was let go because of this metrics bullshit.

That was two months ago. There's not a day goes by I don't wish I had him back. There are now 10 people doing the job he did. They try hard, but none of them have his ability.

I turned down a couple of opportunities to go work directly in that department because of this metrics bullshit. I'm glad I did--I have a much more interesting and less stressful position now after an internal promotion a couple of weeks ago.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ConfusedUs posted:

My company was recently purchased by a larger one, and we're in the process of switching support structures from our existing (free-form, collaborative, fixing-it-right-is-better-than-fixing-it-fast) support structure to the new parent company's, which is highly focused on metrics.

It's been a disaster. The first guy they trained over there got railed on for his poor metrics with the new product, daily.

But the simple fact is that our product is far, far more complicated than the existing one. Ten minute calls simply don't exist for our product(s). Hell, it can take over an hour, on a simple system, to do a full configuration and initial testing.

Even I, who has more customer-facing experience with my product than anyone, could not meet their metrics. I couldn't come close.

Eventually the guy they trained over there, the one that was hand-picked for his ability, dedication, and general all-around awesomeness, was let go because of this metrics bullshit.

That was two months ago. There's not a day goes by I don't wish I had him back. There are now 10 people doing the job he did. They try hard, but none of them have his ability.

I turned down a couple of opportunities to go work directly in that department because of this metrics bullshit. I'm glad I did--I have a much more interesting and less stressful position now after an internal promotion a couple of weeks ago.

Corporate mergers and buyouts are never pretty from what I have had experience with. The buying company employees are going for the kill because they don't want new talent to affect them and the bought employees are freaking out because their world is being turned on end. The worst things about corporate life are then brought to 11.

I won't hesitate to reach for the door the next time any company I work for us bought.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

"Measure not what is important, but make important what you can measure"

- An Idiot

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Website Update:

So I put the site into maintenance mode last night before I left work. I also shot my contact with the company an email explaining what was happening and had another itemized bill for services rendered attached. Things like the design, maintenance, hosting fees, domain renewal fees etc.

Long story short the owner calls me and flips out for almost an hour over six phone calls. Mostly personal insults and garbage like that. Basically he would go off on me, Id tell him to calm down, he'd scream louder and Id hang up on him.

Thing is this website isn't even for his business or anything like that, its for an after hours sports league he runs.

Eventually the person I've been dealing with calls me and we talk about what needs to happen. I wouldn't give them an inch. I have to admit it felt really good to do that. Admittedly the owner being a giant jackass made it a bit easier. He is going to contact the owner and the management board and try and get me paid. I wont be doing anything until I get a cheque in my hand or some sort of reasonable arrangement is made.

Reading the comments Ill have to look at how much it costs to take them to small claims for a worst case scenario. Its not a huge amount of money they owe me, so Ill have to see how much of that will be eaten up in fees and lost time.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 10, 2013

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The important thing is that you're not being a door mat. If they don't pay you, you don't give them the site, whether you go with small claims or not.

Also you don't flip it out of maintenance mode until the cheque has cleared.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Please please please keep us posted, I want to see how this goes down.
:munch:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Thing is this website isn't even for his business or anything like that, its for an after hours sports league he runs.

This somehow makes this way more hilarious.

quote:

Eventually the person I've been dealing with calls me and we talk about what needs to happen. I wouldn't give them an inch. I have to admit it felt really good to do that. Admittedly the owner being a giant jackass made it a bit easier. He is going to contact the owner and the management board and try and get me paid. I wont be doing anything until I get a cheque in my hand or some sort of reasonable arrangement is made.

Reading the comments Ill have to look at how much it costs to take them to small claims for a worst case scenario. Its not a huge amount of money they owe me, so Ill have to see how much of that will be eaten up in fees and lost time.

Don't put it back online until after the cheque clears. Also small claims court (in my jurisdiction) is super cheap to file in and this specific situation sounds like it would take very little time to prepare for.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was going to make some sappy post earlier today about how after I YOTJ'd in May 2012, I've kind of taken my new job for granted. It's not perfect, pay isn't amazing for now, but I get treated with perfect dignity. Never been screamed at or forced to do stupid work. Everyone here is smart, and mostly quite tech-savvy. I didn't want to rub it in for anyone though.

But. I happened to mention I didn't bring lunch today because the loving cat pissed in my backpack (and I cycle to work).

THEY loving BOUGHT ME LUNCH!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

blackswordca posted:

I wouldn't give them an inch.

Good for you. I hope the rates you "offered" for services rendered are out of this world. Make 'em bleed, punish them for their hubris. Some people won't learn anything until it hits them in their wallet. This is your chance so hit them hard.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Didn't get a ticket, again, just an IM. "My boss tried to make adobe my default now I can't open anything"

Somehow her boss associated .lnk files with Word. (where adobe comes in I have no idea)

I have no clue how you could even do that, I couldn't find anything in the UI to undo it there was a .lnk entry in the control panel set defaults, it did say word but was greyed out, some googling led me to a .lnk reg key in hkcu...\explorer\fileexts that I deleted and all was well.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This somehow makes this way more hilarious.

I know. Its basically a small amateur racing league there are 15 drivers or so. I don't even know why they need a board.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Don't put it back online until after the cheque clears. Also small claims court (in my jurisdiction) is super cheap to file in and this specific situation sounds like it would take very little time to prepare for.

Yeah I am not planning on it. I need cash/cheque in had or a tracking number to certified mail or something like that.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

Good for you. I hope the rates you "offered" for services rendered are out of this world. Make 'em bleed, punish them for their hubris. Some people won't learn anything until it hits them in their wallet. This is your chance so hit them hard.

I hit them with a $250 rear end in a top hat tax and for future work increase my rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

Corporate mergers and buyouts are never pretty from what I have had experience with. The buying company employees are going for the kill because they don't want new talent to affect them and the bought employees are freaking out because their world is being turned on end. The worst things about corporate life are then brought to 11.

I won't hesitate to reach for the door the next time any company I work for us bought.

Surprisingly, things are going really well, outside of product support, which is a complete and total clusterfuck.

All of the engineering, marketing, and sales teams have been left largely alone. Total attrition in my company is less than 10% since it was bought. We lost our HR director, a sales manager, and a developer. Maybe a couple others. Only one of those was a direct layoff as a result of the buyout. The others may have left anyway.

We basically are carrying on as before, except we're building a new branch of the product with the parent company's branding. We have more resources (why yes, please, forward your test automation scripts to us!) and such.

Our support reps are basically being shunted or promoted into engineering/test positions where they can work at a high level while fielding escalations from the (dozens of) new peons in basic support.

It's just that communication with the support folks (and especially their management) is a mess. Support is so ridiculously metrics focused that every single discussion bogs down in minutia. If we can even have a discussion at all.

Mid-level managers have to justify every minute they or their people spend working on the integration. High-level management won't implement a single policy without numbers to back it up--numbers we don't have because we never tracked them. And they won't run a test in their environment to /get/ the numbers they need. They want numbers to justify the numbers so their numbers continue to say the right things.

• Locked thread