Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Are you guys really that disgustingly sweaty that removable liners are that important? I've been commuting every day for 8 months in my Qwest and it still smells fine! Either that or I'm more of a goon than I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Whoops. I guess the qwest is just cheek pads. Sorry!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Are you guys really that disgustingly sweaty that removable liners are that important? I've been commuting every day for 8 months in my Qwest and it still smells fine! Either that or I'm more of a goon than I think...

How hot does it get? Some of us live in hot areas and sweat a lot.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Armyman25 posted:

plus sometimes its just nice to throw the lining in the wash and enjoy that just-cleaned sensation :feelsgood:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pissingintowind posted:

:goonsay:

Helmets get stanky. You wouldn't wipe your face with the same towel every day for eight months, I hope.

Mine's probably a little over a year old, and I've just started noticing an unpleasant funk.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Armyman25 posted:

Bay Area, so a balmy 55-75 degrees year round! That's probably why... not really sweat inducing weather.

edited for goonsay

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pissingintowind posted:

Bay Area, so a balmy 55-75 degrees year round! That's probably why... not really sweat inducing weather.

edited for goonsay

Bastard. It's that temperature for right about two weeks in Atlanta, and then it's sweaty-town.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Even at 55-75 you should still wash your pads out in regular intervals. All kinds of nasty exhaust and dust particles will get in from vents and stick to your padding.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah in the southeast you sweat out a gallon of water just walking to the parking lot. It's loving miserable.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The helmet may be fully submersible to wash, if it doesn't have removable pads.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Pissingintowind posted:

edited for goonsay

I think it was about 60-70 degrees along the coast the day I took this shot.

:highfive: bay area CA goons.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do I:

1. Take my Roadcrafter into Aerostich to have 3" added above the knee to have a comfortably-fitting suit for $150ish or
2. Sell the Roadcrafter for $600-700 to pay for Maple kevlar jeans and a low-key leather jacket since I live in Southern California and what is rain??

It takes 8 weeks to get a suit altered and it's pretty bulky for work and just cruising around. And I can always get ~another 'stich later~, you know?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I febreeze my Qwest with the anti-microbial stuff to kill the stank-causing bugs. I was also bummed you cannot remove all the liner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

Do I:

1. Take my Roadcrafter into Aerostich to have 3" added above the knee to have a comfortably-fitting suit for $150ish or
2. Sell the Roadcrafter for $600-700 to pay for Maple kevlar jeans and a low-key leather jacket since I live in Southern California and what is rain??

It takes 8 weeks to get a suit altered and it's pretty bulky for work and just cruising around. And I can always get ~another 'stich later~, you know?

You adorable freak of a man. loving 3 inches above the knee.

Also, you send the stitch in and get it fixed, and just ride around in whatever the gently caress because socal.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Good point!

Also I'm in Berkeley for a pit stop Thursday / Friday before I head up to Oregon to register my car. :buddy:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
So I got these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vice-wp-riding-shoes

Ordered two sizes and had no prob returning the losing pair, cost me about 15 extra total but worth it (thought I'd use the 11s but the 12s were it)

stiff at first but feel great after maybe 5 hrs riding. There are boots with more protection, sure, but with thermoplastic toes, heels, ankles, and a steel sole shank, I feel confident in the city and off the slab in the sticks.

Also these pretty much look like leather vans, so they definitely pass the crossover test. Haven't tested waterproof qualities, and I hate the rain so...

Main drawback might be long laces, but I fold my socks down rocker style to secure them.

Anyways, for under 100 USD, I vote yes on these.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

infraboy posted:

I think it was about 60-70 degrees along the coast the day I took this shot.

:highfive: bay area CA goons.

Hahaha, I know exactly where that is. That was the place where I saw like 7 people with the same sportbikes, all of them wearing the same sweatshirts/sweatpants/helmets, all standing around awkwardly and looking at one of their bikes which was nose-down in the water/sand. It was either this exact turn or the left hander before this one.

Man, I miss the bay area.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I just got in a pair of Dainese TRQ Race In Boots. They fit well under my jeans for my skinny legs but the rear protection for the ankle up seems kinda suspect. It definitely has lateral protection but still stiff to walk in.

Also a hell of a lot easier to put on compared to a* smx plus boots. I miss the snugness of the inner boot though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

CheeseSpawn posted:

They fit well under my jeans for my skinny legs but the rear protection for the ankle up seems kinda suspect.
Protection in the general shin area is going to be lacking on the Race Ins since they're designed to be worn underneath a 1 piece and piggyback off the armor present in the suit.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I grabbed a pair of these boots recently and am breaking them in now.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Biker/Motorcycle-Boots/Short/brand/STREET-%26-STEEL/Brotherhood-Leather-Motorcycle-Boots/p/43250_59409_10

So far they fit pretty nicely and feel solid. The side zips are great. Unlike other boots I've had with side zips, these actually let you zip in and out without having to redo the lacing. My last boots were good (before the soles wore down), but even with side zips, I had to untie the laces and loosen them significantly to get in and out of the boots.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

-Inu- posted:

As someone who has owned all of Alpinestars' race gloves (GP Plus, Pro, Tech), I'm probably going with Held Phantoms or Titans next time I'm due for an upgrade.

Sportbike Track Gear had a clearance sale a few days ago and I splurged and bought a pair of XL Held Akira Evos. I hope they fit me!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Sportbike Track Gear had a clearance sale a few days ago and I splurged and bought a pair of XL Held Akira Evos. I hope they fit me!

My fingers are crossed for you. I love mine.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So today I was at the Cycle Gear down the street from my house getting oil and a filter for my VFR, when I saw a bigass clearance rack and thought "maybe there'll be something in there worthwhile." After moving 50 tons of Bilt poo poo aside, I came across a textile jacket made by Bilt's less-retarded cousin Sedici on sale for $50. I've been riding with my leather jacket all summer because my old textile jacket is too big for me now, and this one fit really well so I bought it. Usually I find I have to pay the Dainese tax to get something that fits so snugly to my midsection while having the arms not be a disaster, and this one had a lot of external pockets and looked nice and tour-y, so I felt pretty good about it. What did I have to lose - $50? Why not? I got home, took a ride with it, felt nice and cool, it was great.

A few hours later I'm cleaning off my desk and get ready to throw out the tags I left there earlier when I notice something odd - "Women." Apparently it's a women's jacket. According to my fiance it's an ill-fitting women's jacket. Okay, yes, there is a strap at the waist for tightening on the midsection, but I've seen Tourmaster jackets with those on them that were for men. At least I think they were for men. And yes, now that you mention it, it does flare out just a little bit all the way at the bottom, but there's a could of pull-cords down there that rein it in fine. So you know what? I'm rocking a women's textile jacket on days when I'm not feeling the leather. gently caress it, I like it.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...29464_59409_199

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I hope it matches your purse. :)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stugazi posted:

I hope it matches your purse. :)

It's a man's travel bag!

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Does anyone have a pair of the Ugly Bros SHOVEL-K?

I really want a pair. It's so drat ugly, but I would totally walk around town in them. Or a pair of the Maple Moto jeans.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 9, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I'm rocking a women's textile jacket on days when I'm not feeling the leather. gently caress it, I like it.

My leather pants are from Alpinestars Stella series. As in, womens pants. All the mens pants are made for more rotund people and, since I'm tall and skinny, if I want the correct length mens pants are too baggy. They button right over left, so if someone reeeeeally thinks about it they will notice my secret un-manly shame.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My leather pants are from Alpinestars Stella series. As in, womens pants. All the mens pants are made for more rotund people and, since I'm tall and skinny, if I want the correct length mens pants are too baggy. They button right over left, so if someone reeeeeally thinks about it they will notice my secret un-manly shame.

Exactly, how tall are you? I'm short and skinny and I can find fitting men's gear. Although sometimes I've considered picking up some women gear if it looked unisex enough. There are some mad discounts during closeout sales.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Kaliber posted:

Does anyone have a pair of the Ugly Bros SHOVEL-K?

I really want a pair. It's so drat ugly, but I would totally walk around town in them. Or a pair of the Maple Moto jeans.

Check out the new Rev'It jeans, they're a little cheaper, decent style with armor, and you can (or will be able to) get them in the US without hassle

Sybok
May 25, 2006

devians posted:

Some of the Puma boots pass quite acceptably as normal shoes whilst still being (reasonably) protective, https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BF8yakgWylYH4DA

I wear some shin high Puma's that look something like this, they look fine under long pants.

I own this exact pair and I like them because they look like normal shoes as well as having decent protection. You can walk easily in them as well. I got side-swiped by a truck at 35 mph and my foot made contact between the bumper and the engine casing. These kept my foot/ankle from being shattered.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
All you skinny goons rocking the women's gear. Why do I feel like every European manufacturer makes their gear in little boy's sizes?

I had resort to custom gear to get ogre szes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

Why do I feel like every European manufacturer makes their gear in little boy's sizes?

I imagine they aren't raised on a steady diet of BGH like we red-blooded muricans are.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Any suggestions for size 15 or 16 boots/shoes? Seems a bit hard to find some made for motorcycles.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think you can find Sidi boots in that size, or close to it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CheeseSpawn posted:

Exactly, how tall are you? I'm short and skinny and I can find fitting men's gear. Although sometimes I've considered picking up some women gear if it looked unisex enough. There are some mad discounts during closeout sales.

I'm 6'1" and 147 lbs.

MoraleHazard posted:

All you skinny goons rocking the women's gear. Why do I feel like every European manufacturer makes their gear in little boy's sizes?

I had resort to custom gear to get ogre szes.

That's funny, all the gear I try on feels ogre sized... (Alpinestars and Dainese jackets fit me fine, mostly.)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Schroeder91 posted:

Any suggestions for size 15 or 16 boots/shoes? Seems a bit hard to find some made for motorcycles.

I wear a 15 and Sidi boots in a 50-52 work fine although the toe box is a bit on the tight side. Might work for you, might not.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
So there's a Sena firmware in beta for the SMH10 (only for now) that allows music sharing between headsets.
http://senabluetooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SMH10-v4.3-Beta-Firmware-Notes.pdf

I know it was a big feature desire a few pages back, and I understood it to be impossible due to some limitations in the BT-spec. Looks like they're beta testing a workaround. The other notable new feature is speed dialing, which I'm rather excited about as voice dialing has always been somewhat hit or miss for me and my Android 4.2.1 device, and in true goon form there are only 3 or so people I ever want to talk to anyway.

:edit:
Fine print.

quote:

Press and hold the Jog Dial for 1 second to start music sharing with
an intercom friend until you hear a double beep.

To convert the mode from music sharing to the intercom conversation,
you or your intercom friend can tap the Jog Dial. To come back to
the previous mode, you or your intercom friend can tap the Jog Dial
again.

Looks like it's actually using the audio channel for intercom as said workaround. So you can share tunes, but it becomes PTT to have a conversation. That's not all that bad of a work around as nobody will be breathing over your sweet tunes.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Do any of the BT headsets allow recording of mic audio to your phone?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TheNothingNew posted:

My fingers are crossed for you. I love mine.

I got the size 10/XL's and they are wicked sweet. A little large, but gripping the handle bars they feel right. I think I'll be glad that I got them.

Speaking of, would anyone be interested in buying some used Alpinestar GP Pro knockoffs (Looks exactly like A* GP Pros but appear to be missing things like the kevlar liner)? They never fit me well, unfortunately. I might list them in the CA marketplace if there's any interest. Otherwise I'll throw them up on the local Craigslist and see if I can get any bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saved this for posterity.