Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

goodness posted:

I want to connect my Desktop to my iPhone via USB, and then use the personal hotspot option to use WiFi data instead of LTE data. I just want to know if that is possible without jailbreaking, and what would be the way to do it.

No, it's not possible without jailbreaking. It's at least theoretically possible with jailbreaking - it's just a matter of bridging network interfaces - but I don't know if anyone's even bothered to do it.

Just buy a $10 wifi stick adapter on amazon, or if you want high performance, get this for $26. You'll even get better performance, because a desktop adapter doesn't have to fit phone design constraints like "fits in your pocket" or "has to run for hours on a small battery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Space Gopher posted:

No, it's not possible without jailbreaking. It's at least theoretically possible with jailbreaking - it's just a matter of bridging network interfaces - but I don't know if anyone's even bothered to do it.

Just buy a $10 wifi stick adapter on amazon, or if you want high performance, get this for $26. You'll even get better performance, because a desktop adapter doesn't have to fit phone design constraints like "fits in your pocket" or "has to run for hours on a small battery."

Ok I will look into that product. But it seems it is possible to do via jailbreak with MiWi.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

goodness posted:

Ok I will look into that product. But it seems it is possible to do via jailbreak with MiWi.

I can confirm this works great. I did it to get my laptop online using a hotel's AT&T device-only free wifi a while back.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goodness posted:

Yeah but I mean for ten bucks I really think it's worth just getting the proper part for your PC. It may be possible but it's hardly your best solution.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dewgy posted:

Yeah but I mean for ten bucks I really think it's worth just getting the proper part for your PC. It may be possible but it's hardly your best solution.

I probably will. But free is better than 10 bucks in the meantime!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

goodness posted:

It works with PDAnet. Whenever I fly I buy GoGO wifi for my phone, then create a hotspot and connect to wifi on my laptop. But that's just when I'm flying.

Just go to a thrift shop/Craigslist and find a wireless router.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Stop being such a cheap goony bastard. If you can afford an iPhone you can afford to get a wireless adapter.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Stop being such a cheap goony bastard. If you can afford an iPhone you can afford to get a wireless adapter.

This "if you can afford x you can also afford y" argument is loving stupid. With that aside, you should probably just get the adapter anyways because MyWi costs 20 dollars.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

status posted:

This "if you can afford x you can also afford y" argument is loving stupid. With that aside, you should probably just get the adapter anyways because MyWi costs 20 dollars.

Like he's gonna pay for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Like he's gonna pay for it.

I did not know it was 20$, just thought it was another free cydia app. But yes that is a stupid argument, if I was going to spend the money than why would I even ask on here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Apparently winocm has jailbroken iPhone 5 with 6.1.4

https://twitter.com/winocm

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Silly to not be working on iOS7, no?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

hunter x az posted:

Can't wait for Apple to patch it when iOS7 comes out in a week, thanks jerks :allears:

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

hunter x az posted:

This is better news than a new phone.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

hunter x az posted:

Ah yes. Here we go, hopefully it comes out soon. I can wait for os7 as long as this is out.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bad link...

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Bad link...

Worked earlier. Appears as though he deleted it

Edit: working again

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 8, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What'd we miss?

e: vv Oh I thought you posted a new link but edited it out soon after.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 8, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

What'd we miss?

Nothing yet, they jailbroke 6.1.4 on the 5 but it is not released yet.

Also the link still works to the twitter.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

goodness posted:

Nothing yet, they jailbroke 6.1.4 on the 5 but it is not released yet.

Also the link still works to the twitter.

Only on the 5 I presume? I have a friend with a 4 that wanted to try a jailbreak out.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Dave posted:

Silly to not be working on iOS7, no?

There needs to be a jailbreak for 6.1.3 because a lot of devices are forever stuck on that version.

Also, there are plenty of others working on the iOS 7 jailbreak.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Once there is a 6.1.3 jailbreak would I be able to unlock and use my prepaid Virgin mobile iPhone 4S on Verizon's CDMA network? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've just seen people talking about using GSM and haven't been able to figure out if going to another CDMA network is possible.

It's a rather annoying situation as I bought that fucker outright last year when Virgin started offering it but did not realize that they were refusing to unlock and that their service is total dogshit in my state. So it's kind of just a $650 iPod at the moment while I'm stuck on a cheapie prepaid android phone. :ughh:

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Only on the 5 I presume? I have a friend with a 4 that wanted to try a jailbreak out.

I'm running an iPhone 4 with a semi-tethered jb now and it has been much more stable than 6.1.2, which was completely unexpected. Rarely have I been forced to reboot tethered due to a crash, loss of battery, etc. Obviously, YMMV.

But isn't 6.1.3 still the current firmware for iPhones except for the 5? No reason that that 4 can't be jailbroken.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Once there is a 6.1.3 jailbreak would I be able to unlock and use my prepaid Virgin mobile iPhone 4S on Verizon's CDMA network? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've just seen people talking about using GSM and haven't been able to figure out if going to another CDMA network is possible.

It's a rather annoying situation as I bought that fucker outright last year when Virgin started offering it but did not realize that they were refusing to unlock and that their service is total dogshit in my state. So it's kind of just a $650 iPod at the moment while I'm stuck on a cheapie prepaid android phone. :ughh:

Unlocks that you can do on your own and without carrier intervention are pretty much dependent on the baseband version of the device. Currently, only certain baseband versions are able to be unlocked through software manipulation.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

almighty posted:

Unlocks that you can do on your own and without carrier intervention are pretty much dependent on the baseband version of the device. Currently, only certain baseband versions are able to be unlocked through software manipulation.

That plus the fact that Verizon only activates phones that originated on their network. I don't think they'll add a former Virgin Mobile phone to their MEID whitelist.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ummm... If you bought a Virgin iPhone then you can unlock it no problem. There used to be a link on their website to do it but I can't find it to link. I have done it personally a bunch of times. If you talked to the stupid Indian customer service don't listen to a thing they say they are incompetent and can't do anything anyway.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'm pretty sure that Virgin only recently(like in the last year) allowed you to unlock their iPhones easily.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Djarum posted:

Ummm... If you bought a Virgin iPhone then you can unlock it no problem. There used to be a link on their website to do it but I can't find it to link. I have done it personally a bunch of times. If you talked to the stupid Indian customer service don't listen to a thing they say they are incompetent and can't do anything anyway.
That's odd, the only link I was able to find was for Virgin Mobile Australia and most everything else was forum posts of people saying VMUSA wouldn't do it for them.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

That plus the fact that Verizon only activates phones that originated on their network. I don't think they'll add a former Virgin Mobile phone to their MEID whitelist.
Would this be a problem even if I found some way to get it factory unlocked instead of software unlocked? I'm on their prepaid plan now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Parts Kit posted:

That's odd, the only link I was able to find was for Virgin Mobile Australia and most everything else was forum posts of people saying VMUSA wouldn't do it for them.

Would this be a problem even if I found some way to get it factory unlocked instead of software unlocked? I'm on their prepaid plan now.

I'll have to look more closely when I get to work later today. I believe it maybe in your account section somewhere. They may have changed it very recently since they started heavily subsidizing them but I have had Virgin unlock almost every iPhone I have ever sold.

If Virgin has stopped unlocking their phones, just spend a couple of bucks and have one of the services have it unlocked. A hardware unlock is always preferable to a software based one, since it will never go away and you aren't depending on anything for it.

Having the phone SIM unlocked will not factor into your Virgin service at all, as Virgin (and Sprint, Cricket, Verizon) use CDMA and the radios included for said standard. Even if you used AT&T or T-Mobile it would not effect your service. Effectively it means you are free to use any SIM card from any carrier in it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I hunted through my account page before I closed it and didn't find anything unfortunately. What service is offering hardware unlocks for Virgin phones? I've only really seen AT&T unlocks in my searches.

Just to make sure we're on the same page I've already given the FU to Virgin and bounced onto Verizon's network, what I'd like to do is if possible find a way to get the fully paid for yet locked 4S to be usable on Verizon's network since the Android phone I'm stuck on currently is pretty blah. Oddly enough every so often the 4S will still pick up a text message if I don't leave it on airplane mode.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Parts Kit posted:

I hunted through my account page before I closed it and didn't find anything unfortunately. What service is offering hardware unlocks for Virgin phones? I've only really seen AT&T unlocks in my searches.

Just to make sure we're on the same page I've already given the FU to Virgin and bounced onto Verizon's network, what I'd like to do is if possible find a way to get the fully paid for yet locked 4S to be usable on Verizon's network since the Android phone I'm stuck on currently is pretty blah. Oddly enough every so often the 4S will still pick up a text message if I don't leave it on airplane mode.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Verizon has a long track record of allowing only Verizon-branded phones on their network. A hardware unlock is useless because phones have to be specifically whitelisted to work on Verizon's CDMA network.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a definitive go-to guide on pairing a PS3 dualshock controller with a jailbroken iDevice? Do I really need to pay $7 for bluetrol in Cydia?

EDIT:

ANSWERS:

1) Yes, you do need to purchase Blutrol. It's a pretty slick application and worth the $7 for the functionality it provides.

The way it works is you screenshot a game or emulator and then import the screenshot into Blutrol where you drag the PS3 controller's buttons around so they actuate the buttons you want. This is a godsend for games like Spellsword.

2) To pair a PS3 controller with an iOS device, you'll also need the Sixaxis Pair Tool that lets you manually input your iDevice's bluetooth host address into the controller so it can connect.

3) From there, you just turn the controller on, connect the controller in Blutrol, and launch the game.

I'm playing Super Mario World and it is the dopest thing since I was 10.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 18, 2013

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
So this might be a stupid question, but if I upgrade to 7.0 is there no way to go back to 6.1.4? Looks like Apple has already stopped signing 6.1.4?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
http://blog.ih8sn0w.com/2013/09/today-is-ios-7-what-do-i-do.html

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Upgraded to 7. I'm really only missing 2 things from the jailbreak. Quick reply (BiteSMS), and dismissing emails from the lock screen or notification center (Lockinfo). So far so good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it helps, to clear your notifications from the lock screen, swipe the notification center down then back up.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Ugh I have 5gb of other I want to clear out. I've run PhoneClean and jail broken iCleanerPro and they don't touch that 5gb.

I want to upgrade to 7 but feel like I can wipe out the "other" easier manually over ssh while still jailbroken. Any ideas what else I can check? Aside for 'du -sh'ing random directories?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dutchbstrd posted:

Ugh I have 5gb of other I want to clear out. I've run PhoneClean and jail broken iCleanerPro and they don't touch that 5gb.

I want to upgrade to 7 but feel like I can wipe out the "other" easier manually over ssh while still jailbroken. Any ideas what else I can check? Aside for 'du -sh'ing random directories?

du -h --max-depth=1 will show you each directory with a size of the entire directory. You can use it to narrow down where stuff is pretty quickly.

noseparade
Jun 8, 2005
hey is there a way to upgrade from 6.1 to 6.1.2 still? i want to be able to keep jailbreak since ios 7 doesn't look appealing to me (i'm on an iphone 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I think the iPhone 4 is hardware jailbreakable, isn't it?

• Locked thread