Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Brennanite posted:

My fried rice is just missing something, but I can't figure out what. I stir-fry pork, rice, egg, carrots, onion, salt+pepper in a bit of butter. That's really all there is to it, right?

Yellow bean sprouts add a rad taste. How are you cooking your eggs? I cook mine about half-way and then add them back in to the fried rice to finish it off.

Grand Fromage posted:

The ones I've had have been pretty wide, but thin. They have a pattern on them like they've been pressed in cheesecloth. Google is giving me nothing but shirataki noodles so I can't find a picture.

These are delicious. I cook 'em all the time, but due to how they are typically stored (next to raw, unpackaged meat) I end up boiling them before eating. They don't really absorb much flavor like other tofu, nor does it break up when boiled. Add some in next time you whip up a batch of noodles or hotpot.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Woodsy Owl posted:

These are delicious. I cook 'em all the time, but due to how they are typically stored (next to raw, unpackaged meat) I end up boiling them before eating. They don't really absorb much flavor like other tofu, nor does it break up when boiled. Add some in next time you whip up a batch of noodles or hotpot.

You're actually supposed to boil, parboil or at least submerge shirataki or konnyaku before cooking with it anyway. Partially cause it kind of has a weird strong smell otherwise and partially I think to improve the absorbency and texture. But yeah they taste great.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

At a Chinese hot pot restaurant I had two delicious appetizers which were similar in taste, I'd like to make them at home, but I'm not sure about the seasoning.

One was a cold salad of thinly sliced cooked tongue (pork I guess), the other was potatoes cut into very fine ribbons, like angel hair pasta.

The dressing included sesame oil, soy sauce and chili oil, that much I'm sure of- is there anything else?

Maybe someone knows the names and could point me to some decent recipes?

Edit: nvm I found some recipes through google, turns out it's just sesame oil, sichuan pepper and soy.
Chinese food is too simple, I always expect some special trick and then it's three ingredients..

eine dose socken fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 2, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sounds like you had fu1qi1 fei4pian4 夫妻肺片。It's a very famous Sichuan dish. For a good reason. There's no better beer food in the world.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Wife got some pork belly today at the Asian market. Says she wants to do something similar to the Red Cooked Spare Ribs in the OP. We have various soy sauces, yellow wine, rice vinegar, etc. She says she wants to do something similar to 回鍋肉/huiguorou.

Question... should we steam/boil the pork belly first? She said the way to cook it was to slice it very very thin and toss it in a hot pan/oil. Figured it would need to be cooked/partially cooked before hand for quick cooking in a pan.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anybody know how to make fishballs? Is it kinda like making kofta, where you basically put meat (in this case fish) in a blender with some extra ingredients, blend it together, shape and then probably poach it? Is there anything more? I tried that and the texture was all wrong, so I'm guessing I'm missing a binding agent. Agar?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got some nice pork loin and decent quality black vinegar; does this recipe sound like a good one to try out? I want something where the vinegar is fairly central as it's not something I've used before.

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/black-vinegar-pork/

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Pookah posted:

I just got some nice pork loin and decent quality black vinegar; does this recipe sound like a good one to try out? I want something where the vinegar is fairly central as it's not something I've used before.

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/black-vinegar-pork/

That sounds great! I just bought a stack of pork as well and I've got a big bottle of black vinegar sitting in the pantry. I may follow your lead here.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

femcastra posted:

That sounds great! I just bought a stack of pork as well and I've got a big bottle of black vinegar sitting in the pantry. I may follow your lead here.

Cheers :D I decided to go ahead with it anyway and have some pork marinading already. Will return with feedback later.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Maarak posted:

These look amazing. Anyone have a good recipe? Or place I get one in DC?

I haven't been here yet, but this place apparently might be legit:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/panda-gourmet-washington

Specializes in Sichuan and Shaanxi foods. Got my attention because their main sign is only in Chinese, it's hard to even see the English name from the street. Location is kinda weird though.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wife got some pork belly today at the Asian market. Says she wants to do something similar to the Red Cooked Spare Ribs in the OP. We have various soy sauces, yellow wine, rice vinegar, etc. She says she wants to do something similar to 回鍋肉/huiguorou.

Question... should we steam/boil the pork belly first? She said the way to cook it was to slice it very very thin and toss it in a hot pan/oil. Figured it would need to be cooked/partially cooked before hand for quick cooking in a pan.

Slice it thin, put into boiling water, then take out. While your vegetables are cooking throw the meat back in. 回锅 means returned to the pot (twice cooked).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Cheers :D I decided to go ahead with it anyway and have some pork marinading already. Will return with feedback later.

For anyone interested, that recipe was really really good - the only things I'd change would be

1. Increase the sauce by 50% - with the original proportions I found it to be a little dry
2. I don't know if my ginger root was maybe a bit dried out, but I couln't get juice out of it by grating and squeezing so I mushed it up with the old mortar n pestle and squeezed the juice out afterwards.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

I want to try to make a really good dish I've gotten from a Szechuan place around here - I think it was called dry fried chicken or dry chili chicken or something like that. Anyway, googling around I found this recipe, which looks a lot like what I want. But I thought I'd ask here before I go to the Chinese grocery store to get stuff - does anyone have a different recipe (or something to modify in that one) to suggest?

Also, I guess I'm a newbie at deep frying stuff, so a couple of questions about that. What's the best type of oil to use - I think I've heard peanut oil? And is there anything I'd want to get besides one of those spider strainers and maybe a candy thermometer? (And for that matter, does anyone have a recommendation for a good thermometer for monitoring candy/oil?)

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I'm sorry if this has been posted before; I tried searching the forum but I didn't find anything. Have you guys ever seen this series? It's a 7 part documentary about Chinese cuisine from different areas of China, all shot in HD. It's called, "A Bite of China." I can barely keep myself from drooling all over the keyboard, but I'm pissed. I live in the SF bay area and I've been to all kinds of Chinese restaurants, but I've never seen most of these dishes! Anyways, if you really love Chinese cuisine, you will really enjoy this. There are also really beautiful shots of little villages in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSESlex8sSE

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Maximusi posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted before; I tried searching the forum but I didn't find anything. Have you guys ever seen this series? It's a 7 part documentary about Chinese cuisine from different areas of China, all shot in HD. It's called, "A Bite of China." I can barely keep myself from drooling all over the keyboard, but I'm pissed. I live in the SF bay area and I've been to all kinds of Chinese restaurants, but I've never seen most of these dishes! Anyways, if you really love Chinese cuisine, you will really enjoy this. There are also really beautiful shots of little villages in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSESlex8sSE

Holy cow, what a great show. Thank you for sharing this.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

This looks really good, I'm going to have to find time to sit down and burn through this series. I have a question, what are some of the ways millet is prepared? I've never had it before so I picked some up, but I'm not too sure how to prepare it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Slifter posted:

This looks really good, I'm going to have to find time to sit down and burn through this series. I have a question, what are some of the ways millet is prepared? I've never had it before so I picked some up, but I'm not too sure how to prepare it.

You can make millet congee, just using rice instead of millet: http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2011/11/beijings-millet-porridge.html

I'm not sure what else it's good for, but that's a good place to start. Put some mung beans and honey in with it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad you guys are liking the series! Wait until episode 4 and you guys can see my aunt. There was a bigger segment on my grand-aunt but it got cut out :(

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Any suggestions for what to do with garlic chives? I have a huge bunch and was going to make pancakes with them, but there's enough for at least another dish.

Also, I made mapo tofu the other day, and while searching recipes online, I found this: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mapo-tofu . Is it just me, or is this a weird recipe? It has twice the ingredients of the goon recipes in this thread, and tomato sauce? It might be good, but it doesn't look like it'd taste like mapo tofu.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Any suggestions for what to do with garlic chives? I have a huge bunch and was going to make pancakes with them, but there's enough for at least another dish.

Dumplings or stir fry with scrambled eggs.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I second to make garlic chives with scrambled eggs. You can make sort of a frittata out of them as well with eggs, salt, corn starch & water, a little fish sauce & sesame oil as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

Also, I made mapo tofu the other day, and while searching recipes online, I found this: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mapo-tofu . Is it just me, or is this a weird recipe? It has twice the ingredients of the goon recipes in this thread, and tomato sauce? It might be good, but it doesn't look like it'd taste like mapo tofu.

The tomato paste is kinda weird. The fish sauce is just glutamate sauce just like soy or whatever so it's not particularly weird, though it's a bit out of place given the region. Bay leaf I think is just not right. Esp with the cumin and cardamom, these three are decidedly more indo-chinese. So maybe this is mapo tofu by way of Burma or something. The kombu is kinda like the fish sauce, it's just an umami booster but it is also out of place.

I like garlic chives stir fried with chiles, pork mince, fermented black beans, and a bit of soy. Serve with steam rice. super easy but super tasty.

edit: this pretty much: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Garlic-Chives-with-Pork-Cang-Ying-Tou

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

GrAviTy84 posted:

The tomato paste is kinda weird. The fish sauce is just glutamate sauce just like soy or whatever so it's not particularly weird, though it's a bit out of place given the region. Bay leaf I think is just not right. Esp with the cumin and cardamom, these three are decidedly more indo-chinese. So maybe this is mapo tofu by way of Burma or something. The kombu is kinda like the fish sauce, it's just an umami booster but it is also out of place.

I like garlic chives stir fried with chiles, pork mince, fermented black beans, and a bit of soy. Serve with steam rice. super easy but super tasty.

edit: this pretty much: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Garlic-Chives-with-Pork-Cang-Ying-Tou

That recipe looks really good, and I already have all the ingredients! I'll probably try them with eggs too if I have enough chives. I was just so excited to find them.

Yeah, it seemed like the recipe is trying to use western cooking sensibilities and make the recipe fancier. I just think it's so silly that they say to toast the bay leaf with the spices and then throw it out. What is that accomplishing?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Schmeichy posted:

That recipe looks really good, and I already have all the ingredients! I'll probably try them with eggs too if I have enough chives. I was just so excited to find them.

Yeah, it seemed like the recipe is trying to use western cooking sensibilities and make the recipe fancier. I just think it's so silly that they say to toast the bay leaf with the spices and then throw it out. What is that accomplishing?

Bon Appetit has long been in the pocket of Big Bay Leaf.

What are some ways Sichuan pepper is used in western dishes. Ive thought about the obvious sichuan tangerine/grapefruit sorbet or with other citrus things, but i don't know where it would work with other stuff. Might go well in zataar.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

Bon Appetit has long been in the pocket of Big Bay Leaf.

What are some ways Sichuan pepper is used in western dishes. Ive thought about the obvious sichuan tangerine/grapefruit sorbet or with other citrus things, but i don't know where it would work with other stuff. Might go well in zataar.

I keep seeing it used in deserts.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

branedotorg posted:

I keep seeing it used in deserts.

Oh, how?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It makes a pretty good ice cream with a hint of vanilla for one.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I don't know why I haven't been in this thread before, but it's awesome. I've been a big fan of, well, food in general, but of all the foods I love, cooking proper Chinese food (as in, not pre-made frozen packages) is probably the one thing I haven't tried. With the prospect of possible employment in China, I figured it was about time for me to give it a try.

Today I cooked PorkFat's Beef & Broccoli recipe using my electric range and skillet, served it to myself and my parents. Also fried some noodles along side using peanut oil and sesame oil as a side carb. I really surprised myself, I think. Beef & Broccoli is one of my favorite take-out dishes, and this turned out way more succulent than anything I can recently recall eating. The speed at which everything cooked threw me off as well, and I charred the noodles slightly, but nothing tasted burnt. Mise en place, indeed, I'm use to dishes where I can do two or three things at a time (had to get a second set of hands just to keep up with the skillet). Also can see the advantages of having a proper wok would give to the cooking technique.

Buying a $5~6 packet of round steak for about 4 servings definitely much better than spending $10 a person on take-out. I'm already planning my next dish.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have a approx. 4lb pork shoulder I bought to make pulled pork with, and was thinking that a Chinese preparation might be good. Are there any dishes you'd recommend? (Note: husband already turned the suggestion of 5 spice, he's not fond of it with pork)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You could red braise it. Or divorce your husband and marry someone who appreciates the awesomeness of 5-spice.

:colbert:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I just got done seasoning my very first wok, and am going to try out the simple beef and broccoli recipe in the OP tonight! Unrelated question, but do chili garlic sauce and black bean Laoganma need to be refrigerated? I'm seeing some conflicting information online.

Millions fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, here's a very simple Cantonese home cooking dish. It's steamed egg with bits of scallions and pork. The recipe is really simple but there is a food myth so perhaps you guys can unravel. Taste wise is a bit bland, but the texture is super smooth with a hint of saltiness to it. It's smoother than steamed tofu on soy sauce.

outside

inside

Recipe:

3 whole eggs,
3 parts of chilled boiled water, equivalent to the amount of egg (so use a broken egg shell to measure).
Little bit of pork - like 1/8 of the dish.
Scallions
Maggi - of course!

1. Stir Fry pork separately and drain
2. Add eggs to a metal dish
3. Add water (or chicken stock if you want to be fancy)
4. Add pork
5. Garnish with onions on top
6. :siren:Use a timer:siren: Steam for 5 minutes
7. Add Maggi on top and serve.
(Note if you really want to make it banging, make a bigger portion in it, stuff soaked dried mushrooms (don't reuse mushroom water), soaked dried scallops (Do use)..

A few things I want to experiment and make a goon version : Add bits of hamburger beef and stuffed cheese with truffle oil, do a double blind test on the water source. Or just make a straight up beef version.

Everyone insists on using chilled boiled water, I don't know why :iiam: Apparently, the texture won't be as smooth but I suspect something odd is.

EVG posted:

I have a approx. 4lb pork shoulder I bought to make pulled pork with, and was thinking that a Chinese preparation might be good. Are there any dishes you'd recommend? (Note: husband already turned the suggestion of 5 spice, he's not fond of it with pork)

Make a Cantonese soup out of it. Or the best compromise is to make shredded pork congee out of it. Instead of regular water, use chicken stock and reduce that pot into liquid gold. Add a dash of Maggi at the end to be edgy.

If you don't like red braising, you can make a soysauce marinade out of it. 滷味,(lǔwèi)

If you want to be super duper adventurous, dice that pork up and make a salted fish steamed pork cake out of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Hey guys, here's a very simple Cantonese home cooking dish. It's steamed egg with bits of scallions and pork. The recipe is really simple but there is a food myth so perhaps you guys can unravel. Taste wise is a bit bland, but the texture is super smooth with a hint of saltiness to it. It's smoother than steamed tofu on soy sauce.

outside

inside

Recipe:

3 whole eggs,
3 parts of chilled boiled water, equivalent to the amount of egg (so use a broken egg shell to measure).
Little bit of pork - like 1/8 of the dish.
Scallions
Maggi - of course!

1. Stir Fry pork separately and drain
2. Add eggs to a metal dish
3. Add water (or chicken stock if you want to be fancy)
4. Add pork
5. Garnish with onions on top
6. :siren:Use a timer:siren: Steam for 5 minutes
7. Add Maggi on top and serve.
(Note if you really want to make it banging, make a bigger portion in it, stuff soaked dried mushrooms (don't reuse mushroom water), soaked dried scallops (Do use)..

A few things I want to experiment and make a goon version : Add bits of hamburger beef and stuffed cheese with truffle oil, do a double blind test on the water source. Or just make a straight up beef version.

Everyone insists on using chilled boiled water, I don't know why :iiam: Apparently, the texture won't be as smooth but I suspect something odd is.

Make a Cantonese soup out of it. Or the best compromise is to make shredded pork congee out of it. Instead of regular water, use chicken stock and reduce that pot into liquid gold. Add a dash of Maggi at the end to be edgy.

If you don't like red braising, you can make a soysauce marinade out of it. 滷味,(lǔwèi)

If you want to be super duper adventurous, dice that pork up and make a salted fish steamed pork cake out of it.

sounds kinda like chawanmushi

which is to say, it sounds good!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

sounds kinda like chawanmushi

which is to say, it sounds good!

Yeah it's similar. I normally have it plain with sesame oil on top, but other stuff to put in - Century egg, fishcake, fish, canned button mushrooms.

There's also the dessert version, which has milk instead of water and sugar (and ginger if you're a ginger kinda person - either toss in some ginger while boiling the mixture and strain or grate the ginger and use the juice).

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Does anyone have a preferred recipe for pig's trotter braised in black vinegar? I'm not sure if there are variants but I prefer the type with a light watery sauce.

edit: I'll probably give this one a shot unless anyone has any major objections.

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 17, 2013

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Schmeichy posted:

It's a recipe from Mission Chinese, which is a trendy "Chinese" restaurant founded by two western chefs. I've had their mapo tofu and it was pretty good, but definitely not traditional.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

gret posted:

It's a recipe from Mission Chinese, which is a trendy "Chinese" restaurant founded by two western chefs. I've had their mapo tofu and it was pretty good, but definitely not traditional.

There are plenty of cuisines where you can add a heaping dose of xenophobia to, but "Chinese food" is like "American food" in that it represents a wonderful multicultural blend. Let's not hate on a broadening of that blend. Otherwise, all we'd have to eat for Chinese food would be lovely millet dishes, and nobody wants that. As a suburban white dude, I'm not a "SPAM" kinda guy but you'd better believe when I went out to eat with my co-workers I had some loving SPAM with my hot pot. Because that is real Chinese food. Not "traditional" but I'm pretty sure a little thing called the Cultural Revolution made that notion obsolete anyway.

Go gently caress yourself. The dude with the eggplant potato dish was right.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love SPAM, it's loving awesome and makes great HK diner food. Or hotpot! If we really stuck with traditional ingredients and all, Sichuan cuisine wouldn't be spicy and Koreans will still be using beef vinegar for kimchi. Funny thing about the Cultural Revolution though, mass hunger and starvation aside, recipes didn't really change that much. All Chinese cities have this blase 90's concrete look, the written and lots of spoken language has been mostly standardized into crippled modern simplified Chinese. Yet dietary patterns haven't changed.

REAAAAAAAALLLLL CHINESE HOME COOKING is just adding splashes of Maggi :downsrim:

But I can see why people can be food snobby about "traditional food". To me, it's an attachment to what you grew up with and sometimes you just want to roll your eyes people claim "TO HAVE AUTHENTIC CHINESE" at the all you can eat China kitchen. People just have certain expectations with how food is made. That isn't a license to be a jerk about it though. I was visiting a Korean goon and he told me the horrors of the local American steakhouse. It has a nice piece of steak, but the sour cream tasted off because it was whipping cream :barf:

I really like how methodical Don'tAskKant is with his cooking. He sees past the hocus pocus "you must use this clay pot forged with the fires of Chinese baby shits" and tries to analyze and cook food. Traditional cooking has its uses but is not the end all and be all of cuisine.

mania posted:

Yeah it's similar. I normally have it plain with sesame oil on top, but other stuff to put in - Century egg, fishcake, fish, canned button mushrooms.

There's also the dessert version, which has milk instead of water and sugar (and ginger if you're a ginger kinda person - either toss in some ginger while boiling the mixture and strain or grate the ginger and use the juice).

Can you please tell me why people insist on using after-boiled water to "preserve the smoothest texture"? Nope, it can't be purified, it can't be distilled, it can't be hot (ok temp I can see this one).

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Does anyone have a preferred recipe for pig's trotter braised in black vinegar? I'm not sure if there are variants but I prefer the type with a light watery sauce.

edit: I'll probably give this one a shot unless anyone has any major objections.

Oh god please no. I had enough of that for my life time. Both of my sisters believed in hocus pocus horrible folk scam medicine. They ate trotters for 2 months before delivery, and 2 months after. 4 months straight and my house smelled worse than a paranoid house wife boiling vinegar during SARS. And then they didn't shower for 3 weeks and used some weird ginger spray to comb out the grease :barf:

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 18, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I insist food taste different when you are hanging the corpse of a deceased nobleman and setting it on fire :colbert:

It just isn't traditional Chinese food unless you have that smoke somewhere in the background. It's like wok hei.

So . . . kimchi made with beef vinegar. I'm intrigued. Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004

caberham posted:

Can you please tell me why people insist on using after-boiled water to "preserve the smoothest texture"? Nope, it can't be purified, it can't be distilled, it can't be hot (ok temp I can see this one).

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm a lovely chinese person who uses tap water in steamed eggs, because my grandma uses tap water too. Wiki claims it's because when steaming the egg, it's not hot enough to kill off any germs in the egg+water mixture. Mostly I think it's a thing that people did a long time ago because of whatever reasons (maybe the reason wiki gives), and people continue doing today because that's how it's always been done.