Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

mearn posted:

World Showcase can get pretty ridiculously busy in the afternoons/evenings. Especially on Fridays and Saturdays when locals are more likely to join in. But yeah, Future World is barely affected at all by the crowds.

That is when it gets fun in my opinion.. it just never feels as bad as MK when it is stuffed from curb to curb and they have to close down the park due to being at capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I hope nobody has done this already, but right now I'm running some numbers on the 2014 Deluxe Dining Plan (based on this: February 10 – February 15, 2014 | 2 Adults) on a six day trip, which unless I'm misunderstanding is 15 meal tickets per person that are eligible for quick-service or table-service meals.

I will be calculating based on table services for every meal, as it seems to me like if you eat quick-service a lot there's no way you'll get your money's worth, but table service every meal might actually save you money. All the meals will be based on two people and based on what my wife and I would likely order.

Price of deluxe plan for two: 1049.4

Meal 1 (Breakfast) - Kouzzina - Country French Toast 11.99 with mega berry smoothie 4.99, breakfast skillet 14.49 with Kouzzina press pot coffee 6.29

Total - 38.37

1049.4 - 38.37 = 1011.03

Meal 2 (Lunch)- Chefs de France - Imported cheese board 14.50 and Rustic assortment of French patés and charcuteries 13.99, beef short ribs 28.99 and half of an all natural roasted chicken 25.99, two creme brulees 18, Café Cappuccino 3.99 and Café express 3.79

Total - 109.25

1011.03 - 109.25 = 901.78

Meal 3 (Dinner) - Biergarten - Can't find a menu with prices, Disney says dinner should be 30-59.99 per person, so just going to go with 55 x 2 = 110.

Total - 110

901.78 - 110 = 791

Meal 4 (Breakfast) - Boma Breakfast Buffet - 15-29.99, most common price I found is 18.99, so 18.99 x 2.

Total - 37.98

791 - 37.98 = 753.8

Meal 5 (Lunch) - Sanaa - Appetizers Sampler for Two 15.99 and Indian-style Bread Service 9.99, Slow-cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-seasoned 21.99 and Bison Burger 13.99, Dessert Platter x 2 35.98, Mango Lassi Smoothie x 2 9.98

Total - 107.92

791 - 107.92 = 645.88

Meal 6 (Dinner) - Tusker House Dinner Buffet - Price I found was 30 dollars, so 30 x 2.

Total - 60

645.88 - 60 = 585.88.

So if you had bought all of this out of pocket, you would have spent 463.52, but on the meal plan you'd have used 12 of your 30 tickets already with 18 more meal tickets left each. The average meal price so far is 77.25, though breakfast has been considerably cheaper with lunch and dinner being more expensive. If we add nine more meals at the average price of 77.25 (695.28), you would exceed the cost of the meal plan by 231.76 dollars.

If you're planning on table service every meal, the deluxe mean plan seems pretty good.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 10, 2013

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

There is actually a fantastic DDP calculator:

http:/www.seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

I found this link months ago on the DIS boards. It factors in everything, TIW, DVC, tips etc. even tells you HOW to use your meal credits and what to pay cash for.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Douchebag posted:

There is actually a fantastic DDP calculator:

http:/www.seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

I found this link months ago on the DIS boards. It factors in everything, TIW, DVC, tips etc. even tells you HOW to use your meal credits and what to pay cash for.

That's really cool but it seems a bit outdated. Based on that calculator and my math if people want to pig out and get appetizers and desserts and drinks every meal at table service places, the deluxe meal plan is cheaper than paying out of pocket. If you don't want to go for the extras like apps and desserts, there's no way in hell you'd get your money's worth out of it, especially if you went for quick-service places a few times.

Are there any quick-service meals that are unique enough or good enough to be worth using a credit on? That would significantly change the math since quick-service meals seem to be at most 20 dollars a person.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 10, 2013

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I don't think there are any overly unique QS meals out there TBH. I use the DDP because we tend to do a few character meals with our son, and use the QS meals while at the parks so it works out. I put my entire trip dining plan into that calculator and it was a few dollars difference between DDP and out of pocket, so it really depends.

If I didn't use the DDP I probably wouldn't get an app or dessert with every meal.

I'm debating what to do for our December trip, go TIW or DDP, haven't decided yet. But, I think it's negligible either way for us.

The big benefit I saw to that sheet was it showing which meals to use the DDP on and which to pay out of pocket if you ran out of credits.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Cuatal posted:

Are there any quick-service meals that are unique enough or good enough to be worth using a credit on? That would significantly change the math since quick-service meals seem to be at most 20 dollars a person.

Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom is pretty awesome. If you're not a fan of ribs though, then probably not.

Just as a heads up though, that's a shitload of food. Doing 3 sit down meals a day with appetizers and dessert (for lunch/dinner) is really hard. I tried it before.

It'll gently caress up your equation, but look at using some of the meals to dine at signature dining locations. They cost 2 meals per person. It'll burn through your allotment faster, and may not be as cost effective, but honestly with the portion sizes I think you'll be hard pressed to do 3 table service a day unless you REALLY like to eat.

When I did the deluxe dining plan even with signature dining I still ended up skipping a couple reservations because I just couldn't eat any more food. Do you still get 3 snacks per day? What I did was used a couple snacks for breakfast (cereal, juice, yogurt etc.) then ate lunch, and a signature dinner most nights. Days that I tried to do table service Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner were murder on my stomach so I ended up skipping a reservation or two.

In terms of signature dining you could do the shows - Hoop-dee-do at Fort Wilderness, and the Luau at Poly. Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge is my favourite restaurant at Disney World. California Grill at the Contemporary just opened with a new menu and if you book a reservation for around 8/830 pm they have a balcony you can go out on and watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom when they start (probably around 9pm in Feb). They even pipe in the music from the show.

But ya, be forewarned that the shear quantity of food that is in the Deluxe Dining Plan is insane. So when you're calculating, you're thinking you're going to eat all that. It may not actually be the case.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The dining plans are good deals if you want the all-inclusive, I don't want to carry cash or worry about anything. We typically go from park to park and when we decide on eating it is not an elaborate meal since we always know a later meal outside of the park is coming plus loads cheaper. If you are not leaving property then you don't have the option but if you plan it right where you can hit McDonald's or any other place on the way in your better off not going with the plan.

At Epcot the fast quick dining option at the Mexico pavillion has proven to be the best bang for the buck. At the Italy pavillion the quick service pizza again is a good option. The same goes for France where they tore down the old bakery and have a new quick service area in the back where the entrance to the Impressions de France is located. The new location, Boulangerie Paitisserie les Halles, has a really good Croque Monsieur and a pizza'ish dish we enjoy plus soups, quiche and the desserts are still there. Biergarten was a fun experience, the buffet is great and I gorged.. it totaled around $80 for the two of us where I had a beer and my wife had a glass of wine. Did I mention I gorged?

At MK either Casey's Corner because I love the chili cheese dog and fries, Be Our Guest for lunch has excellent options that won't break the bank, Pecos Bills or Gaston's Tavern where the pork shank is a definite must.

Dining at Hollywood Studios you have a wide range of choices but I am partial to the 50's Prime Time because I started off there as a seating host and ended up working the bar next door while I worked for Disney. Studio Catering for quick service is good, Sci-Fi Diner if you want a fun sit down experience or Catalina Eddie's which is another quick service with a good hot Italian sandwich.

Animal Kingdom.. meh. Push comes to shove and we are starving we will eat at the Flame Tree BBQ for quick service. The ribs are not terrible, I prefer the chicken salad when we eat there. We avoid Yak & Yeti at all costs. Twice we ate there and the Asian food was worse than most take out Chinese joints out in town. Pizzafari is also a quick service alternative, the pizza is not bad and the Caesar salad is my option there.

The only other locations off parks we have dined at are at the Marketplace so I cannot recommend any specific resort dining other than Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yatchman's Steakhouse at Boardwalk, Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge, Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's at Grand Floridian and California Grille at Contemporary. Okay maybe we have a few suggestions at the resorts but those are not counter service options.

Oh, and if you want to throw down some cash I highly recommend Le Cellier at Epcot.. I love the place.

Feel free to ask me about dining as we go to the parks a few times a month and chances are we have been there, done that over and over. What I don't know, well I have family that still works for WDW and my brother in-law knows a lot due to what circles he roams due to his position. PM me as well if you would like an off-line discussion.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 10, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I can say that I plan to do a signature dining option to use up some of my table service credits. I am not the kind of vacationer who wants a nice sit down dinner every single night of the trip, so I figure I can blow two of the credits on a really nice meal that I wouldn't be able to afford out of pocket (or would balk at the price at the very least) and then buy a sandwich for lunch or something.

On that note, I just had plans work out really well in my favor. I had originally booked Jiko. I was curious and heard good things, but I am also kind of picky when it comes to foreign flavors, so I was nervous. Then I decided to make that my Epcot day, and realized leaving the park and then trying to come back for the fireworks would not be possible, even if I pushed my reservation up. Bummed me out, since Illuminations is my favorite of the firework shows at the parks. So I found a different day with Artist Point that seemed to work out well, but Artist Point isn't really on my must do list.

Today a Yachtsman reservation opened up for a great time on the Epcot day, and since it's pretty close by I think I can make my Epcot plans work and have a great meal. I am excited, and December should come here now.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I agree that 3 table service meals a day is borderline undoable. It's not just about being a widdle piggie either, who wants to spend hours a day eating when you've paid hundreds of dollars to even be in the parks?!

TheBigBudgetSequel, Artist Point is very good and you will not be disappointed. It's not particularly whizz-bang in terms of Disney restaurants, but they do solid and high-class pacific northwest food and often seasonal game meats. I ate elk there for the first time and it was superb. I've had elk several times since but it has never compared to that dinner.

Also don't get picky/spooked about Jiko. It's nothing that will offend babby's palate. If you don't like curry sauces and the like, you can still get "steak in wine reduction with veggies" there. Perhaps it's too late for this trip, but Jiko is very very good even if you're not terribly taste-adventurous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nathilus, how hard is it to get ingredients out of Jiko chefs? I've heard they're the super busy types.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Nathilus, how hard is it to get ingredients out of Jiko chefs? I've heard they're the super busy types.

Somewhat tricky. While it's totally kosher for them to give out that info and Disney is all about customer service, Jiko is indeed pretty much constantly packed. Still, if you can manage to grab their attention for a minute, they'd likely be happy to share.

That reminds me of an encounter I had at Ohana. I LOVED when they had the pineapple drizzled with caramel for dessert. A couple years after that I went in and got served carrot cake or some BS for dessert. I said something like this to my waiter: "What the hell is this garbage?! Where's my yummy pineapple drizzled with caramel!?! I don't want your dumb cake!" All faux-outraged. In reply he gave me a faux-contrite look and said, "You have no idea how often we hear that. We've been trying to get it switched back, just so we don't have to hear about it anymore." Hahaha.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of pineapples.. Dole whips at MK or you are missing out.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

demonR6 posted:

On the topic of pineapples.. Dole whips at MK or you are missing out.

Last time I was down there I stood in line for 45 minutes to get a dole whip, and oh man was it worth it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

One of the perks of staying at the Polynesian is their counter service has it's own Dole Whip machine.

Less of a line than in the park. I actually prefer the Citrus Swirl.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Nathilus posted:

I agree that 3 table service meals a day is borderline undoable. It's not just about being a widdle piggie either, who wants to spend hours a day eating when you've paid hundreds of dollars to even be in the parks?!

TheBigBudgetSequel, Artist Point is very good and you will not be disappointed. It's not particularly whizz-bang in terms of Disney restaurants, but they do solid and high-class pacific northwest food and often seasonal game meats. I ate elk there for the first time and it was superb. I've had elk several times since but it has never compared to that dinner.

That was the other issue with 3 table service a day. The amount of time/travel. Even with planning it was still a ton of effort and time to get to food. For example my Animal Kingdom day was Breakfast at Tusker House, Lunch at Yak and Yeti (ugh, it was not good) and dinner at Jiko. So I had to get up, bus to AK to eat breakfast. Y&Y and Jiko weren't trouble because it's in the park and then like a 5 min bus ride. But then to get back to my resort from Animal Kingdom Lodge it's a bus ride to an open park, or downtown Disney and then another bus ride back to my resort.

With the majority of dining options being resort based you're timing when you have to leave, how long it takes to get back to a park/your resort. Your dining options in the parks is limited (minus Epcot where you can do breakfast, lunch and dinner just in World Showcase) and those options are popular and sometimes hard to get into. So you end up eating at resorts, which takes you out of the parks.

Not bashing on the deluxe dining plan. It was awesome when I did it because the entire point of the trip was to do a bunch of Disney stuff (like fancy restaurants, drinking around the world) that I wouldn't get to do for the next 10-15 years (it was when my daughter was <1 and I left her at home). I knew any Disney in the future would be primarily child oriented so I figured I'd blow it out one last time (or at least until my kid is a teen).

Even with that, it was a ton of work. If your goal is to eat at a lot of great restaurants, then great. If your goal is to spend a lot of time enjoying the parks, 3 table service can really hinder that. That's why signature dining is good. If you can eat later (8pm or so) you get a lot of park time, have a character breakfast or a lunch in the park and hit up a resort for dinner.

And Nathilus, that's exactly why I love Artist Point. It makes good food, period. You'll find something you'll want to eat, and it'll be delicious. Flying Fish is great for seafood, but I don't like seafood. Le Cellier does great steak, but some people don't like steak. Artist Point has a variety which tends to please the majority of people.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Jay Dub posted:

Last time I was down there I stood in line for 45 minutes to get a dole whip, and oh man was it worth it.

Dole whip is definitely worth the 45 minute wait. Or hop off the monorail at the Poly and grab some.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dole whip is fine and dandy but I'll never understand the obsession with it (please don't crucify me, disney thread)

Though seriously, this place: http://www.menchies.com/yogurt-shop-our-locations/all has a dole pineapple soft serve yogurt that tastes almost exactly like it, if you have one locally and you're dying for it. E: Looking at it, it may even be the same.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dole whips are awesome, everyone should try one at least once. We have had the Poly version but it is not the same as what you get at the park.

Any locals going to studios this Friday the 13th for the 13 hour event where the villains take over the park?

EDIT: Unleash the Villains is the name of the event..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 11, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I don't know if any of you regulars visit any online forums for Disney World visitors, but holy christ, most are like hundreds of people sitting in a corner going "Disney did a thing. I don't like it. Harumph" and then they get up and spend 2 grand on a vacation to the parks.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't know if any of you regulars visit any online forums for Disney World visitors, but holy christ, most are like hundreds of people sitting in a corner going "Disney did a thing. I don't like it. Harumph" and then they get up and spend 2 grand on a vacation to the parks.

Holy crap Disboards is terrible for this. I like reading them when I'm planning a trip/before I go because I can glean some useful information sometimes but there's so much bitching about everything.

Right now it's a massive bitchfest over the testing of magicbands and fast pass+ between the haves (those testing) and the have nots (not testing). The ones not testing are enraged that they don't have access to something that isn't completely rolled out yet. To the point that some of them are making 1 day reservations at a magic band resort solely so they can the bands/FP+

The angry people that kill me though are the ones who make room requests and then get angry when they're not met. Because the ones that are furious aren't making requests like "near the lobby" or "near the pool" they're like "I want a room that's both close to the pool, and the elevators, and near the lobby, but far enough to be quiet, and a high floor, but not too high. Also I want only pink soap but yellow shampoo. Oh, and a goat... I also need a goat". Ok maybe not that ridiculous, but it's a massive string of things that sometimes contradict each other and then they get upset when they don't get exactly what they want.

Also all the people upset over Avatarland. Oh, you hate Avatarland (before even seeing it) then don't loving go there. Don't spend the next 2 years (and past 2 years) bitching about it online.

It's amazing what the super crazy Disney fans will feel slighted over

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Disboards is full of crazy people. They have some good advice threads, but past that, holy poo poo. Crazy.

I once had a client that was a Disboarder. She had the most complicated split stay setup. It was like 3 nights at the Poly, 2 nights at Coronado, 2 nights at POFQ. Then she had a problem with the dining plan in that she felt that her 13 year old didn't eat enough to warrant paying the adult price so she wanted me to make it so that I got her the child price for her. Which I can't do as ages 10+ are charged adult prices, full stop. Then there was some debate over if she bought tickets somewhere other than with me if they would show up in My Disney Experience. So after numerous changes to her reservation, explaining about the bugginess of MDE, and debating with her about child vs adult prices...she canceled. I was sorry to lose the commission, but the crazy was deep with that one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Their rage over the new snow white roller coaster was incredible. Pretty sure it was Disboards and not Mousesavers I saw them practically screaming about taking up arms against Disney over it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Happitoo posted:

Holy crap Disboards is terrible for this. I like reading them when I'm planning a trip/before I go because I can glean some useful information sometimes but there's so much bitching about everything.

...Also all the people upset over Avatarland. Oh, you hate Avatarland (before even seeing it) then don't loving go there. Don't spend the next 2 years (and past 2 years) bitching about it online.

It's amazing what the super crazy Disney fans will feel slighted over

"'Avatar' was stupid so Avatarland is gonna suck!" - the same people who sing the praises of Cars-land, which is a themed land that is based on Goddamn "Cars".

But yeah, DISboards is about 25% useful, 75% insufferable. It's that darn 25% part that keeps me from rage-quitting the place for good (E: the reasons I wanted to quit run a lot deeper than just "fans being idiots" but that's a story for another day). I'm really only active in there if I have a question about an upcoming trip that I can't find answers to on TouringPlans, etc.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 12, 2013

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
OK I'm super confused and I'm hoping someone who has gone through this may help shed some light on it, because message boards I've been reading are full of conflicting information. It's regarding MagicBand and FastPass+ testing, which I've been asked to do for my stay next month. I customized the Magicbands already and they're being shipped to me.

However I am not buying tickets straight through Disney. We bought last night through a work discount program. So we have a will-call printout used to get our actual tickets. According to the MyDisney site I can use that Will Call # to go ahead and link the park tickets to my existing reservation info. Will that put them on the Magicband? Or since it's a will-call ticket is it like an old paper ticket and I'm just stuck using the old method while everyone else gets to test cool one-touch bands?

Part 2: FastPass+. What are you guys' experiences testing this out so far? I'm getting two answers depending on where I look/who I ask. One says if I'm testing Magicbands, etc (which as above maybe I can't even do because of my tix situation?) I'm stuck using FP+ which is 3 rides, 1 park per day online 60 days out. So are those disappearing super fast and I'm gonna be stuck waiting in every line? Another says that no the traditional fast pass kiosks still work too, so it's not like you have to plan everything every day down to the hour a month before your trip to ensure you get any fast passes. I'm really worried I'm going to get stuck without any fast pass availability or options and spend my entire trip waiting in the regular line for everything, but that seems like it'd be a bad way to design the system.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Disboards is full of crazy people. They have some good advice threads, but past that, holy poo poo. Crazy.

I once had a client that was a Disboarder. She had the most complicated split stay setup. It was like 3 nights at the Poly, 2 nights at Coronado, 2 nights at POFQ. Then she had a problem with the dining plan in that she felt that her 13 year old didn't eat enough to warrant paying the adult price so she wanted me to make it so that I got her the child price for her. Which I can't do as ages 10+ are charged adult prices, full stop. Then there was some debate over if she bought tickets somewhere other than with me if they would show up in My Disney Experience. So after numerous changes to her reservation, explaining about the bugginess of MDE, and debating with her about child vs adult prices...she canceled. I was sorry to lose the commission, but the crazy was deep with that one.

Can someone explain split stays to me, because I just don't get it. Like I understand how they work, I'm not retarded. I just don't understand why people do them like what Braksgirl is talking about.

I can see a split stay if you're like the English/Europe people that come over for 3 weeks. Ya, 3 weeks at 1 resort may get boring, so you do a couple. I can also understand those that don't have the money but want to stay at a deluxe for one night so they can watch the fireworks from their room in the Contemporary, then they switch to All-Stars for the remainder. I get that. 3+ resorts in the span of a week seems like a lot of trouble, and a bunch of wasted time having to check in every other day. Especially when cost doesn't seem to factor into it.

Edit to answer the above: Yes, putting your will call number in should link those tickets to the magic band. I haven't done it, so if you're concerned, call Disney IT and double check, but you should be fine.

For FP+ testing: You may be able to pick FP+ 60 days out. It kind of depends on when Disney opens the testing window. For me it was like 57 days (I'm going at the end of October). For people at the start of October it was a much smaller window since they opened all of October at the same time.

During the testing phase you'll be able to double dip on fast passes. You'll be able to set up FP+ times as well as use your key to the world card to get regular FP.

During testing I highly doubt they'll run out of FP+ for attractions at the 60 day point. Maybe a particular time/hour but not the whole day.

While you can set up FP+ 60 days out, you can revise it the day of either by using the My Disney Experience app on smart phones or at kiosks in the park. So you don't have to plan your rides down to the hour. If you're not going to make a FP time, or want to go to a different park, you can whip out your phone and revise it right there.

Once FP+ is fully rolled out, it's anyone's guess how it'll work. But during testing the above seems to be the case

Happitoo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 12, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I avoid those boards because just like you say people will go sideways over the smallest of things and I simply cannot tolerate stupid window lickers who have nothing better to do than complain that Disney decided to change the color of the ropes in the queue line at Big Thunder Mountain from bright yellow to a more muted tone of brown.

@warheadr be prepared to experience some pain as you are treading into their new, unproven system during a test so things may not go as smoothly as you would like. Not saying that it will but I hear the issues with the Magicbands via my brother in law and they are funny, but not if you are a guest and your things are not working correctly.

Also anyone with upcoming trips, they seem to have enabled the guest WiFi across Epcot and Magic Kingdom now so free Internet if you are in range, it is not working everywhere. We will find out tomorrow if it is up and running at Hollywood Studios. MK also added a phone recharge station between Peter Pan and the entryway to Frontierland where the new rest area adjacent to Small World is located which is nice since you can plug your device in now and recharge for free.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 12, 2013

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Well I just went onto the MyDisney site and put my Will Call # in, and it linked up my tickets. Asked me to choose a person to assign each ticket to. Once I did that I can now go into the FastPass+ area and start choosing, which I couldn't before so that's nice to see. Looks pretty easy to select a park and rides for each day. I keep reading everywhere that the phone app is almost necessary inside the park, as you can choose new rides and times all day so long as that particular FP+ hasn't been "cashed in" yet so that answers my concerns about locking myself in to a very specific itinerary.

Now it's just the issue of availability. 3 per day seems so low, but maybe I'm totally remembering wrong on how the old FP systems used to work and it's really no different. I guess if I'm able to modify rides and times the day of while in the park on my phone it's OK to go ahead and choose some now just in case...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

warheadr posted:

Well I just went onto the MyDisney site and put my Will Call # in, and it linked up my tickets. Asked me to choose a person to assign each ticket to. Once I did that I can now go into the FastPass+ area and start choosing, which I couldn't before so that's nice to see. Looks pretty easy to select a park and rides for each day. I keep reading everywhere that the phone app is almost necessary inside the park, as you can choose new rides and times all day so long as that particular FP+ hasn't been "cashed in" yet so that answers my concerns about locking myself in to a very specific itinerary.

Now it's just the issue of availability. 3 per day seems so low, but maybe I'm totally remembering wrong on how the old FP systems used to work and it's really no different. I guess if I'm able to modify rides and times the day of while in the park on my phone it's OK to go ahead and choose some now just in case...

As of this current moment (meaning it could change tomorrow if Disney so chooses) if you are testing FastPass+ you also have access to the old FastPass system. For FastPass+ you use your MagicBand, for the old system, you use the Key to the World room key that will also be given to you at check in (Your Band will cover every function of the room key/park ticket/charge card, but it can't access the old FastPass system, as they are just waiting to eventually phase the old system out. For now though, book some experiences with the new, and then if you can, grab a few paper passes as well.

Magic Kingdom is such a high demand park that now, in a lot of cases, you will actually recieve four FastPass reservations, depending. Usually what happens is you will pick for your top attractions. Let's say you want Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, and a Meet and Greet with Mickey. Disney may then give you a fourth one for an attraction of their choosing (usually an attraction that now has FP that hasn't before, like Haunted Mansion or It's a Small World) and when the time comes, if there are alternate experiences avalible, you can swap that out for a different attraction if you desire. "Oh, Haunted Mansion doesn't have much of a wait, but I'd love to ride Space Mountain and it has a slot open." Boom.

I am so fascinated with this new system and I hope that these expanded tests keep going for when I go. I know it's probably going to continue testing throughout the end of the year, but man, I want me a MagicBand to test all this new stuff out.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That they will be using the Magicbands eventually to help them with crowdsourcing is a benefit I can see from this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So someone with more info on magic bands: What happens if you lose one? Do you just run to City Hall or something and get it replaced with your personal info? A password? D'you have to go back to your resort?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Happitoo posted:

Can someone explain split stays to me, because I just don't get it. Like I understand how they work, I'm not retarded. I just don't understand why people do them like what Braksgirl is talking about.

I can see a split stay if you're like the English/Europe people that come over for 3 weeks. Ya, 3 weeks at 1 resort may get boring, so you do a couple. I can also understand those that don't have the money but want to stay at a deluxe for one night so they can watch the fireworks from their room in the Contemporary, then they switch to All-Stars for the remainder. I get that. 3+ resorts in the span of a week seems like a lot of trouble, and a bunch of wasted time having to check in every other day. Especially when cost doesn't seem to factor into it.

In this particular case, I think this person wanted a level of trip she could not afford. She would have preferred to have her whole stay at the Poly but it was out of her budget. She was booking on my agency's promotional rate and those three resorts were covered, with either Coronado or POFQ being the cheapest of the three (I can't remember now. I've blocked out a lot of the stuff with her for mental self-preservation). It just complicates things with the packages, I think. I wouldn't want to have to deal with checking in and out so much myself, but whatever.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

When I booked mine, I was warned that if I stayed two days longer (or if my trip was shifted slightly) I wouldn't be able to book the room I will be in for my entire trip and would have to do a split trip. Luckily my trip length is just perfect, and I don't have any desire to move it or extend it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm doing a split stay next March, but it's intentional so we can experience 2 DVC resorts in one trip. This will probably be the only time I do it and its just to try out something new for a change.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Here's a question for people who go more often than me...

Would you recommend the Very Merry Christmas Party? I am going to be there while it takes place, and it seems like a fun thing, plus a way to enjoy the Magic Kingdom till late...but is it worth it overall?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So someone with more info on magic bands: What happens if you lose one? Do you just run to City Hall or something and get it replaced with your personal info? A password? D'you have to go back to your resort?

If you lose your magicband you report it and get a new band. Purchases beyond a small amount require a pin so no shenanigans with your account. A new band can be given to replace the old one which is then deactivated i.e. room entry, purchases, tickets and anything else you can do with that band.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Here's a question for people who go more often than me...

Would you recommend the Very Merry Christmas Party? I am going to be there while it takes place, and it seems like a fun thing, plus a way to enjoy the Magic Kingdom till late...but is it worth it overall?

It's a fun event, we have gone a few times and the theming throughout the park with the carolers, hot chocolate and holiday characters roaming the park is a nice touch although it is lovely if we are in the middle of a warm spell. Hot chocolate and 80 degrees do not mix well.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 12, 2013

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I had never seen a Scrooge McDuck meet and greet at the parks before, so that alone made the Christmas Party worth it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

I had never seen a Scrooge McDuck meet and greet at the parks before, so that alone made the Christmas Party worth it.

They brought him out (with the nephews) as part of the weird Limited TIme Magic promotion thing they are doing this year, but only for a week. I will gladly go to a Christmas party so I can get a photo with McDuck.

Edit: As to the Lost MagicBand thing. You go to the main help desk at the park in question and tell them you lost it, they'll deactivate it and issue you a new one. The new one will be the standard grey one without any personalization. If you lose it again, then you have to pay a replacement fee. So, don't lose it twice.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 12, 2013

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Will be back home in Brevard for a month from Dec 21-Jan 21. What are good days to hit Magic Kingdom, and Islands of Adventure?

My family would always use our annual Universal Pass on like Mother's day and just rapid fire all the cool rides like 5 times in a row with no wait. But, this time of year we never really went.

Weekdays should be better but is it really crowded on the holidays? What is a good week to hit the parks without the huge crowds?

E: Ah yes, and are there really any absolutely great parks other than the Magic Kingdom? I'd been to them all growing up and none really stuck out as anything worth a second day compared to going to Islands of Adventure instead. Will be bringing my girlfriend from Korea so we have to hit the Magic Kingdom but if there is one that would be an even better "Disney" experience I might consider it.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 13, 2013

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Gildiss posted:

Will be back home in Brevard for a month from Dec 21-Jan 21. What are good days to hit Magic Kingdom, and Islands of Adventure?

My family would always use our annual Universal Pass on like Mother's day and just rapid fire all the cool rides like 5 times in a row with no wait. But, this time of year we never really went.

Weekdays should be better but is it really crowded on the holidays? What is a good week to hit the parks without the huge crowds?

E: Ah yes, and are there really any absolutely great parks other than the Magic Kingdom? I'd been to them all growing up and none really stuck out as anything worth a second day compared to going to Islands of Adventure instead. Will be bringing my girlfriend from Korea so we have to hit the Magic Kingdom but if there is one that would be an even better "Disney" experience I might consider it.

Christmas is absolutely brutal at Disney World. It's their most popular time. so basically avoid it between Christmas - New Years. Unless you really want to see Christmas decoration or the New Years fireworks.

What are you looking for in a park? If IoA is your go to, ya, you're not going to find a lot of that at Disney. Their thrill rides are pretty minimal.

Animal Kingdom is my favourite park. But I'm also a huge fan of animals and conservation efforts. If you wanted to you could probably blast through it in 1/2 a day.

Epcot is great if you want to eat food from different places around the world. Or drink around the world.

Hollywood Studios bores me to tears. It's basically Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Star Tours and some muppets and I'm out.

For pure, classic Disney, Magic Kingdom is really it.

If you're looking to add an extra day though, and you're going in early/mid January: Get a park hopper ticket. Hit up AK in the morning and power through the rides you want to do there. Due to minimal line ups you'll likely be done by noon - 1pm

Next, jump over to HS and hit the headliners there. You can probably wrap that up by 6 or 7. Plan a late dinner at one of the Epcot pavilions and watch Illuminations. Hell, if you finish HS fast enough you might even be able to squeeze in Soarin' at Epcot (or if there's a date that Epcot is open late).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happitoo posted:

Christmas is absolutely brutal at Disney World. It's their most popular time. so basically avoid it between Christmas - New Years. Unless you really want to see Christmas decoration or the New Years fireworks.

What are you looking for in a park? If IoA is your go to, ya, you're not going to find a lot of that at Disney. Their thrill rides are pretty minimal.

Animal Kingdom is my favourite park. But I'm also a huge fan of animals and conservation efforts. If you wanted to you could probably blast through it in 1/2 a day.

Epcot is great if you want to eat food from different places around the world. Or drink around the world.

Hollywood Studios bores me to tears. It's basically Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Star Tours and some muppets and I'm out.

For pure, classic Disney, Magic Kingdom is really it.

If you're looking to add an extra day though, and you're going in early/mid January: Get a park hopper ticket. Hit up AK in the morning and power through the rides you want to do there. Due to minimal line ups you'll likely be done by noon - 1pm

Next, jump over to HS and hit the headliners there. You can probably wrap that up by 6 or 7. Plan a late dinner at one of the Epcot pavilions and watch Illuminations. Hell, if you finish HS fast enough you might even be able to squeeze in Soarin' at Epcot (or if there's a date that Epcot is open late).

Ok, it sounds like there haven't been any mind blowing developments since I had been there last.

This trip will mostly be for her sake to get the classic Disney taste.
Epcot would just piss her off that Japan and China have their own areas and no one knows what Korea is.
Animal Kingdom might be good if the zoo in my area wasn't so cool.
And like you said, no one gives a poo poo about Hollywood Studios.

I'll plan to avoid the big holiday stretch then and plan to go mid January.

Thanks.