Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

loving everything gets you 'a cold' in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Jeoh posted:

loving everything gets you 'a cold' in China.

"a cold" is just another term for "i'm not feeling 100% at this precise moment in whatever way".

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
If my office buys me a train ticket from Hangzhou to Yuyao, do I still have to go to the ticket counter and present my passport to get a second ticket, or do I roll up with my printed ticket and just get on the train?

This is probably a moot question anyway because no one has ever checked my train tickets ever, but I don't want to wait in line if I don't need to.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm heading to Changsha for a month in a few days, trying to get setup with a vpn... I know its a bit of a lottery with what vpn provider is getting blocked on a particular day and hasn't found a workaround, but any recent recommendations on a good/stable/working service? Someone had recommended vitavpn a ways back (free 150 mb trial), but I'm a bit dubious about using a proprietary client from a chinese company. Is this poo poo going to give me computer aids? I'm thinking just take the binary as a backup and install it if I'm desperate.

I had strongvpn for a bit, but it didn't work for me in china last time.

VyprVPN from the OP looks pretty decent, and with an IOS client as well for $15/month. Any word on them?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

FearCotton posted:

If my office buys me a train ticket from Hangzhou to Yuyao, do I still have to go to the ticket counter and present my passport to get a second ticket, or do I roll up with my printed ticket and just get on the train?

There's just the one ticket - although you might need to collect it yourself from the ticket agent.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Baddog posted:

I'm heading to Changsha for a month in a few days, trying to get setup with a vpn... I know its a bit of a lottery with what vpn provider is getting blocked on a particular day and hasn't found a workaround, but any recent recommendations on a good/stable/working service? Someone had recommended vitavpn a ways back (free 150 mb trial), but I'm a bit dubious about using a proprietary client from a chinese company. Is this poo poo going to give me computer aids? I'm thinking just take the binary as a backup and install it if I'm desperate.

VyprVPN from the OP looks pretty decent, and with an IOS client as well for $15/month. Any word on them?

StrongVPN works perfectly for me, weird. The US servers are pretty slow, but I just bounce through Singapore or HK instead. I've heard Vypr is good, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baddog posted:

What do you need it for? Goagent is a good free VPN that works through google appengine, but it only works for in-browser proxies like foxyproxy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you need it for? Goagent is a good free VPN that works through google appengine, but it only works for in-browser proxies like foxyproxy.

That might be all I need. I want to play poker while I'm over there, but I don't think they've bothered to block the servers you connect to, just the web sites. So as long as I could use Goagent to grab the client updates from the poker site, I think I'd be good to go.

am I missing english instructions somewhere?
https://code.google.com/p/goagent/wiki/InstallGuide

Baddog fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 10, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As far as I know, no. The actual app is all in English though, so don't worry. All you need to do is follow the appengine link and set up a google app. You don't have to do anything else on the website, just set up an app and give it an appid that you can remember easily.

The download and install goagent, go into the server folder and run the .bat file. Give it your appid.

Then go to the local folder, open proxy.ini and set the appid to your appid. You need to run the .bat file for every appid you want to set up. You can have a maximum of 10. Each appid has a max of 1 gig per day and you switch between them just by going back to proxy.ini. It sounds harder than it is.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Baddog posted:

That might be all I need. I want to play poker while I'm over there, but I don't think they've bothered to block the servers you connect to, just the web sites. So as long as I could use Goagent to grab the client updates from the poker site, I think I'd be good to go.

am I missing english instructions somewhere?
https://code.google.com/p/goagent/wiki/InstallGuide

The Google translation of the instructions is actually rather easy to follow. I also like that it will work on Android/iPhones as well.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Arglebargle III posted:

Does that mean it would work for using facebook (on a nexus using chrome and not the application)?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'm gonna be heading up in a couple weeks to live in Harbin for about a year teaching English. Anyone got any advice for that part of China?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
It's cold

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

xenilk posted:

Does that mean it would work for using facebook (on a nexus using chrome and not the application)?

The app will work. GAE proxy requires root, but when turned on routes all traffic through the proxy.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

I'm gonna be heading up in a couple weeks to live in Harbin for about a year teaching English. Anyone got any advice for that part of China?

Buy a winter jacket when you get there

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

SB35 posted:

Buy a winter jacket when you get there

I'm from Quebec, Canada -I'm bringing my own. We like it cold.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Good for you, I'm from North Dakota so likewise. Just pointing out that you can save space by buying one there for cheap especially if you can find a Decathlon anywhere.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Ceciltron posted:

I'm saving this quote for January, I'll bring it back then.

SB35 another ND there are more of us?

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 11, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Winter coats are super bulky for air travel.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

SB35 posted:

Good for you, I'm from North Dakota so likewise. Just pointing out that you can save space by buying one there for cheap especially if you can find a Decathlon anywhere.

Decathlon? gently caress that. If you're not rocking a 军大衣, you're doing it wrong.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

According to wikipedia, we've got just about the same climate (save Harbin's got drier winters). -30 lows are something we're used to at this point.

Arglebargle III posted:

Winter coats are super bulky for air travel.

Actually my second question was: Is it feasible to ship certain things? Like a PC and winter clothes (the stuff I have is pretty good quality and nigh-indestructible)?
My operating assumption is that if the cost of replacement > cost of shipping, then I'll ship it over or carry it (depending).

It's gonna be kind of hard finding proper winter gear as someone who's 6' wearing size 12 shoes in China.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've been teaching in Taiwan for four years and now might need to change jobs. I'm really not sure where to start looking though. Taiwan has websites like tealit.com that have tons of job postings. How would I even start searching for work in China?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

SB35 another ND there are more of us?

:holy: another ND goon? :hfive: Jamestown represent!

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Decathlon? gently caress that. If you're not rocking a 军大衣, you're doing it wrong.

Not everyone is as downright goony fashion as you are PRC

SB35 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 11, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been teaching in Taiwan for four years and now might need to change jobs. I'm really not sure where to start looking though. Taiwan has websites like tealit.com that have tons of job postings. How would I even start searching for work in China?

Only one more year and you can get the PARC in Taiwan! I suppose it's not that useful if it expires in the future. You can try here

http://hongwrong.com/hk-life-teaching-in-hong-kong/

Ceciltron posted:

Awesome, but the north will also be really polluted so beware! Houses won't be insulated and heated as well, so stay safe! The ice festival is nice.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

He means PLA winter coat. Stop being such a China-boo.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

caberham posted:

He means PLA winter coat. Stop being such a China-boo.

Deal with it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

caberham posted:

Only one more year and you can get the PARC in Taiwan! I suppose it's not that useful if it expires in the future. You can try here

http://hongwrong.com/hk-life-teaching-in-hong-kong/

Obviously I would prefer to stay in Taiwan, but I need to have every option open to me.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Only when you can attain Chinese nationality like this other HK goon here. Right now you are just an American faking to be Chinese. A runaway neckbeard from the States getting fat in the outskirts of a Beijing basement. Have you gotten your ECA stack and picked up running yet?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

caberham posted:

Only when you can attain Chinese nationality like this other HK goon here. Right now you are just an American faking to be Chinese. A runaway neckbeard from the States getting fat in the outskirts of a Beijing basement. Have you gotten your ECA stack and picked up running yet?

Says the boy who still lives with his mom.. Be sure to clean up your room.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Zhaopin.com

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Boy/goon/neckbeard/creep/random internet guy, I'm Chinese and have a family to live :china: It's nice actually have a family to live with instead of fleeing from the government over student loans.

Your own house in the sticks was bought by your in-laws. Aren't you special? Actually it's pretty cool to have in-laws taking pity on you and give you shelter. It's ok to have an identity crisis and be indenial over yourself. Just get nationalized already geeze. This poo poo is turning into LAN. Aiya.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

caberham posted:

Boy/goon/neckbeard/creep/random internet guy, I'm Chinese and have a family to live :china: It's nice actually have a family to live with instead of fleeing from the government over student loans.

Your own house in the sticks was bought by your in-laws. Aren't you special? Actually it's pretty cool to have in-laws taking pity on you and give you shelter. It's ok to have an identity crisis and be indenial over yourself. Just get nationalized already geeze. This poo poo is turning into LAN. Aiya.

:munch:

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

caberham posted:

Your own house in the sticks was bought by your in-laws.

Nope, paid in cash out of pocket. Ditto for the car. Listen, I get it, you don't want to move out and live in a shoebox.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

caberham posted:

:stare:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

VideoTapir posted:

Zhaopin.com

Oh god I'm going to have to learn barbaric simplified aren't I?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Pro-PRC and caberham stop fighting! I love you both. Can't you see this country is tearing us apaaart? :cry:

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

The Worst Muslim posted:

Pro-PRC and caberham stop fighting! I love you both. Can't you see this country is tearing us apaaart? :cry:

But I learned it from you! :cry:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

But I learned it from you! :cry:

It's a cycle of abuse :cry:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

As far as I know, no. The actual app is all in English though, so don't worry. All you need to do is follow the appengine link and set up a google app. You don't have to do anything else on the website, just set up an app and give it an appid that you can remember easily.

The download and install goagent, go into the server folder and run the .bat file. Give it your appid.

Then go to the local folder, open proxy.ini and set the appid to your appid. You need to run the .bat file for every appid you want to set up. You can have a maximum of 10. Each appid has a max of 1 gig per day and you switch between them just by going back to proxy.ini. It sounds harder than it is.

Thanks, got it working I think - guess I'll find out for real when I get there, but I see traffic on the appengine dashboard. Pretty slick. Thanks SB35 too, I did end up following the google translation of the faq. Ran across this guide as well if its any easier for someone else to follow: http://mrjetlee.com/facebook-from-china/

I'm paranoid, so used a throwaway google account, although from all the python I scanned through in the package, everything seemed aboveboard.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh god I'm going to have to learn barbaric simplified aren't I?

pfft like the "traditional" characters Taiwan uses are themselves barbaric, simplified and lacking all the feel of true characters.

Ah, true and unadulterated. Only thing better would be if it was on some sort of bone.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

pfft like the "traditional" characters Taiwan uses are themselves barbaric, simplified and lacking all the feel of true characters.

Ah, true and unadulterated. Only thing better would be if it was on some sort of bone.

Looks Orcish.