Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Is Bayonetta 2 out yet? No? Not even a new trailer? Well then I'm going back to sleep.

Are you me? That's the reason why I haven't bothered with it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Are you me? That's the reason why I haven't bothered with it yet.

I'm hoping something comes out of TGS but maybe not.

Like I've said before, Wii U isn't really a factor for me until 2014. Wonderful 101 seems cool as poo poo but without other incentives I don't see much of a point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Astro7x posted:

People said this about the 3DS in the first 5 months. It was overpriced and all it had going for it was remakes of Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64. Then the dropped the price, came out with Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 and it's definitely not a failure.
The Vita was never more than laughable and the 3DS was definitely not staring down the barrel of two handheld releases that were about to make it look antiquated and silly and cost only slightly more money. It's not comparable for all the reasons everyone else has told you, and also that the 3DS had a clear field to reinvent itself because it's never faced direct competition worth a drat.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheScott2K posted:

I was more referring to the physical therapy of the sustained turnaround than the invasive surgery of the price cut and Mario Kart release. I know a lot of people who weren't interested in the 3DS, but the XL changed their minds. The thing is barely bigger than the original hardware with much larger screens, and the overall experience is greatly improved.

So you're basing this on anecdotal accounts? I get your point but the 3DS turnaround was already in full swing well before the XL was released and the XL more or less continued the upswing, which is what I think you're getting at.

Anyway, this is the WiiU thread and the 3DS situation, while an interesting parallel, should be moved to the 3DS thread. Consoles and handhelds are different beasts.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just so we're clear you're comparing a 5 month window of time to a potential 18-24 month window of time and saying "they're exactly the same!!!"

A price drop and more software will increase interest in the console is all I'm saying, We've yet to see any of that yet actually happen yet.

Louisgod posted:

Systems are judged by their first year and if the WiiU fails to do well this holiday, it'll lose out on virtually all other support and Nintendo will be left to prop it up and make it attractive to customers (and developers).

Pretty much the best way to put it.

Nintendo is pretty lucky that the PS4 is not launching in Japan until February 22, 2014. Gives them a little more time to get Mario Kart out the door sometime before then.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spiffo posted:

As a normal person this is why I don't own and don't plan on owning a Wii U

Even as a not-normal person, who used to go crazy for Nintendo until the Wii came out, I've been holding off buying a lot Nintendo's games, simply because they're either far too similar to the previous one, or worse in a lot of ways. They had a chance to redeem Paper Mario after the Wii version, but Miyamoto thought that having unique party members, Bowser having dialogue, and having an actual RPG battle system were not things people looked for in a Mario RPG. Apparently the Dream Team team had to fight to get the game the way they wanted, and not completely sterilised.

Pikmin 3's an ideal sequel, where there's been enough time since the last game and enough changes and improvements that it feels like a worthy addition to the series, as well as a good game in its own right. This is why it's worth buying over yet another Mario Kart, that probably includes a triple blue shell just to make it more random.

I think Nintendo needs some new, talented developers to take over from the old veterans like Miyamoto, who outside of Pikmin 3 seems to have completely forgotten what made those games he's worked on for the past 30 years so good. Mario games are getting churned out as fast as Mega Man on the NES, instead of being completely unique and excellent games that are just part of the same series. Majora's Mask was directed by the dungeon designer from Ocarina of Time, and that was an experiment that turned out brilliantly, so why is every new Zelda game just another attempt to capture the magic of Ocarina of Time? Even on handhelds, where series like Metroid and F-ZERO were able to get quality games with low development costs are being ignored because it's more profitable to make another Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing on the Gamecube was fantastic, and although I have nothing bad to say about any of the newer ones, I don't think it's the sort of game that I can just keep buying a new version of. If I'm going to play it, I'm going to get out my memory card, clear the town of weeds, and go hunting for fossils to send off in the mail. If I wanted yearly updates, I'd play Call of Duty and FIFA. The same goes for Pokemon. After playing Red and Blue, and also the incredibly improved Gold and Silver, each game just feels like another one, but with a differently laid out world with stranger looking creatures.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

A price drop and more software will increase interest in the console is all I'm saying, We've yet to see any of that yet actually happen yet.

What software? The Nintendo games we KNOW are coming? The third party titles that are already dying off cause Nintendo is too self-centered to make a console that caters to anyone except themselves? Please tell me what amazing software (besides the software we know is coming) is gonna let WiiU compete with even launch PS4 and XBone, when those two systems will be at their weakest.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

Please tell me what amazing software (besides the software we know is coming)...

What kind of question is that? Let me get this clear, you want me to tell you about software that is coming out, that we don't already know about. So basically predict the future?

Here we go, Super Metroid Prime will be right up your ally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schUrtU1jZQ

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Personally, I'm not buying a WiiU regardless of games. It's region-locked, and I live in a PAL territory.

I'm not sitting here with a WiiU only to watch English releases be released into America/Canada, only to be forced to wait months or possibly years for a PAL localization just because Nintendo wants to profit over the significantly higher game prices that PAL territories hold over the stateside market. By the time it's here, the hype is gone. This isn't like some Japanese game where they absolutely must be translated for a primarily English-speaking market. US and PAL are primarily English-speaking, so there's no excuse. It's nothing more than greed--cashing in on domestic inflation, and treating PAL consumers as last priority. Of course none of this actually means anything to anyone in the states, but to anyone in Iceland, Finland, Germany, the UK, Europe at large, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and so forth - it's a big deal.

PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and the 360 to a certain extent were region-free, along with the DS. 3DS and WiiU are not. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope the WiiU fails and Nintendo rethink their marketing and hardware choices, not simply in regards to my bitterness over region-locking but also in regards to arbitrary 3D/waggle gimmicks third party developers feel obligated to take advantage of but actually don't want to use.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Astro7x posted:

What kind of question is that? Let me get this clear, you want me to tell you about software that is coming out, that we don't already know about. So basically predict the future?
The thing making the wooshing noise as it goes over your head is the point.

We know what's coming up for the Wii U and it is not enough.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Personally, I'm not buying a WiiU regardless of games. It's region-locked, and I live in a PAL territory.

Even when Europe does get a game before the USA, it's usually a case of the USA version being late, not the European version being early. What I mean is that games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 were released in Europe very close to the Japanese release date, but were delayed in the USA, because Nintendo thought that making the majority of their customers wait over a month for no reason would somehow help their already terrible sales. The only reason why the Operation Rainfall games came out in Europe first was because Nintendo didn't want to go to the effort of trying to make them successful in the USA until they were constantly bugged about it.

These don't make up for having to wait months for Super Smash Bros Brawl. After new information being released every day before the Japanese launch, being told to wait for a version with a few bug fixes (thanks to the nonexistant patching system) and the text being translated into other languages (which other developers manage to do during the game's development), was excruciating, especially when millions of other people were enjoying the game at the same time. There's also Animal Crossing, which took years for the first game to be released here; Super Paper Mario, which after six months managed to add in a game-ending bug; Kirby Super Star Ultra, which took a year for absolutely no reason, and so on. Sony have actually delayed the PS4 in their own country to focus on having enough units for the American and European launches, unlike the PS3 launch that made Europe wait.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CapnAndy posted:

The thing making the wooshing noise as it goes over your head is the point.

We know what's coming up for the Wii U and it is not enough.

Good enough for what? What is the measurement for being enough? Because in this thread it ranges from making the Wii U profitable enough for Nintendo to stay afloat all the way to recouping the magic that the Wii had.

There were huge turn outs for the Best Buy E3 events, people waited for hours in order to play just a few minutes of Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. Three of those games are coming out this year so I would say there is definitely some sort of hope for more console sales as we get closer to Christmas.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Astro7x posted:

Good enough for what? What is the measurement for being enough? Because in this thread it ranges from making the Wii U profitable enough for Nintendo to stay afloat all the way to recouping the magic that the Wii had.

There were huge turn outs for the Best Buy E3 events, people waited for hours in order to play just a few minutes of Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. Three of those games are coming out this year so I would say there is definitely some sort of hope for more console sales as we get closer to Christmas.

Guess what else is coming out this year?

Two entirely new consoles.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I found an interesting article, while not entirely Wii U related, it's suggesting a)A bleak picture & b)That there are external influences (i.e. smartphones & tablets) that all game-device makers are struggling to cope with.

http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/09/game-over/

Edit:

More Graphs: http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/06/third-to-a-billion/

I don't entirely agree with his conclusions, but the trend seems to be pretty obvious. In this light where the market gets squeezed between smart phone users (casuals) and hard core (sony & ms) Nintendo may have made the wrong move. By the way I'm not advocating that they sell to iOS or Android or anything like that, but the Wuu tablet was, in my opinion, not a smart move.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 11, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Part of the magic the Wii had was selling so fast that there was the sheer advertisement factor of "we can't keep them on the shelves" for like a good year straight. Which is the kind of thing that gets people interested in buying things, because it's obviously so popular.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Install Windows posted:

Part of the magic the Wii had was selling so fast that there was the sheer advertisement factor of "we can't keep them on the shelves" for like a good year straight. Which is the kind of thing that gets people interested in buying things, because it's obviously so popular.

Right, but the Wii also didn't have to contend with the meteoric rise of the smartphone / tablet.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

VomitOnLino posted:

I found an interesting article, while not entirely Wii U related, it's suggesting a)A bleak picture & b)That there are external influences (i.e. smartphones & tablets) that all game-device makers are struggling to cope with.

Edit:

I don't entirely agree with his conclusions, but the trend seems to be pretty obvious. In this light where the market gets squeezed between smart phone users (casuals) and hard core (sony & ms) Nintendo may have made the wrong move. By the way I'm not advocating that they sell to iOS or Android or anything like that, but the Wuu tablet was, in my opinion, not a smart move.
The conclusion he makes about MS and Sony also being in trouble seems to be the one that has least evidence--in the chart that includes MS and Sony, it shows a peak of sales a couple years after the console's release, but it only shows one generation--so while the 3DS and Wii U didn't cause a peak in sales in the market after their release, we don't have any evidence that the PS4 and the XBone won't cause a peak in sales.

That said I agree with you, though I do also think Nintendo has other problems on their hands with the Wii U than just "targeted the wrong market". I think gaming consoles in general may be in trouble down the line, but I don't think we're quite at that point yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, maybe the future will make me eat my words, but I don't think mobile is an existential threat to consoles any more than television killed the movies.

And those graphs are terrible. Doing it by sales per month is inherently dishonest -- total sales would have been much more on point, but he wanted to show a bunch of lines sloping downward. Market saturation and aging hardware: These are both factors you're pretending really hard don't exist, dude. Also he caps it at one generation because otherwise you'd see lines that constantly take big jumps upward and then go back down, but are overall trending up. Pretty much the definition of lying with statistics.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 11, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, maybe the future will make me eat my words, but I don't think mobile is an existential threat to consoles any more than television killed the movies.

No, I would actually agree with you there.

Don't think existential threat, but do think thinning of the herd.
I think it will be similar to what smartphones are doing to the consumer (compact) camera market. Remember the laughably bad cameras phones used to have just 10 years back? Yeah...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Install Windows posted:

Eh, I'd say that's an after-effect of successful advertising and general demand, not necessarily something that spurred the purchases. I'd credit the Thanksgiving break right after the Wii was released for a big part of its success, where families were able to get together and try the thing out for themselves and said "I need one of these".

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Louisgod posted:

Eh, I'd say that's an after-effect of successful advertising and general demand, not necessarily something that spurred the purchases. I'd credit the Thanksgiving break right after the Wii was released for a big part of its success, where families were able to get together and try the thing out for themselves and said "I need one of these".

Add to that: Motion controls, now an old hat - but I remember seeing a friend play Wii Sports Tennis with a friend and thinking "drat this looks fun!" something that I hadn't thought about other (more normal) games for quite some time.

Yeah we all know it kinda fell flat on that promise later, but the promise was there.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

Edit:

As long as cell phone games aren't engaging for more than 30 seconds at a time and look like butt on a screen bigger than four inches they won't kill consoles anytime soon. What they are doing is sucking up that blue ocean of people who don't play core games that the Wii and DS thrived on though.

edit:

VomitOnLino posted:

No, I would actually agree with you there.

Don't think existential threat, but do think thinning of the herd.
I think it will be similar to what smartphones are doing to the consumer (compact) camera market. Remember the laughably bad cameras phones used to have just 10 years back? Yeah...
I agree with this. Consoles like Sony and Microsoft's offerings will stick around for a good long time yet as enthusiast devices.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 11, 2013

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Also as long as cellphone games only have touchscreen controls.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So if the Wii U does end up being a huge failure and moneysink for Nintendo.

Would they really drop it?

Like just like that? No more games anymore, all support dropped and push out their next one?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No. They're stubborn and rich.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alteisen posted:

So if the Wii U does end up being a huge failure and moneysink for Nintendo.

Would they really drop it?

Like just like that? No more games anymore, all support dropped and push out their next one?

No, they'll continue to support it and deny any failings, only years later, once the new console is released, is when they'll own up and basically say "yeeeeah, we kinda hosed up but we learned a lot and will do better next time", then queue them doing the same exact thing over again and learning nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They would drop the price to the point where it sells even if it means taking a big hit before they'd rush out the next one. No company can really afford to just drop a console.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I'd buy a WiiWoo if it were priced along the lines of a PS3 or 360. You know, what it's actually worth power-wise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wouldn't.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Me neither. It still wouldn't solve anything. You might get a few more multi-platform games released on the WiiU, I guess?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Zelda system bundle seems to actually be doing well on Gamestop's best sellers list. Now, Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware so people who want that bundle are going to Gamestop to buy it, but anything Wii U on a best sellers list is something.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

greatn posted:

Yes, Mario 128 was a tech demo designed to show how the GCN could generate hundreds of characters. This engine was then used to create Pikmin, starring captain Mariol Olimar. Another thing people believed to be a Mario thing called Marionette actually went on to become Animal Crossing. For some reason everytime someone saw a tech demo or saw a name in an abstract paper, they thought that was a full representation of a game back then.

I'm still waiting for Rebirth, the game about the little tree that walks around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kevyn posted:

I'm still waiting for Rebirth, the game about the little tree that walks around.

That became Too Human.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

greatn posted:

That became Too Human.

No, Too Human had it's own trailer at that Spaceworld. I'm talking about this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyXEMPaVHQ

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kevyn posted:

No, Too Human had it's own trailer at that Spaceworld. I'm talking about this thing

Man what simpler times when a hideous mutant tree stump with no gameplay could be a hypeable thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Man what simpler times when a hideous mutant tree stump with no gameplay could be a hypeable thing.

Remember Afrika?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

Remember Afrika?

I do but that at least I remember having a clearly stated "this is a game about photography" gameplay mechanic when they discussed what exactly you would do in Afrika.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kevyn posted:

I like that the top comment on a video that shows no gameplay for a game that almost nothing was known about is "WHY DO ALL THE GOOD GAMES GET CANCELLED!!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Remember the laughably bad cameras phones used to have just 10 years back? Yeah...

Of course I do, the 3DS keeps reminding me what they're like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

deadwing posted:

The Zelda system bundle seems to actually be doing well on Gamestop's best sellers list. Now, Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware so people who want that bundle are going to Gamestop to buy it, but anything Wii U on a best sellers list is something.

Amazon.ca does sell Nintendo hardware, and it's not doing too bad there either. It's beating the Xbone actually, but thats probably because they're out of pre orders for the 'Bone.

• Locked thread