Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
While Radivid is a scheming basatard I still think I'd prefer him over the alternatives when it comes to prepping the Northern Kingdoms for The War with Nilfgaard. Especially considering Kaedwen is in chaos thanks to my actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Isn't the war with Nilfgaard lost before it started? Based on the EE outro they pretty much roll over everything, which makes a lot of sense considering they were preparing to invade the whole time during the chaos and they have near perfect intel from everybody marching their armies around in front of their "ambassadors" so there's little chance of coming unprepared or half assing it. I think the main conflict will be the Wild Hunt finding a way to send the entire Tir ná Lia army though the portal between worlds rather then a just handful of scouts.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Asehujiko posted:

Isn't the war with Nilfgaard lost before it started? Based on the EE outro they pretty much roll over everything, which makes a lot of sense considering they were preparing to invade the whole time during the chaos and they have near perfect intel from everybody marching their armies around in front of their "ambassadors" so there's little chance of coming unprepared or half assing it. I think the main conflict will be the Wild Hunt finding a way to send the entire Tir ná Lia army though the portal between worlds rather then a just handful of scouts.

Based on material released the war comes to a stalemate around the Yaruga.

One thing I'm concerned about concerning the open world in TW3 is level scaling. I don't want any of it. Will monsters be made tougher as the game goes on, or simply not appear until you are a certain level? It's what really bothers me about other open world RPGs.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Raneman posted:

One thing I'm concerned about concerning the open world in TW3 is level scaling. I don't want any of it. Will monsters be made tougher as the game goes on, or simply not appear until you are a certain level? It's what really bothers me about other open world RPGs.

There's no scaling. I forget how they were going to handle it, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They just said there'd be no level scaling whatsoever and if you run into something that can stomp you, tough luck.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

They just said there'd be no level scaling whatsoever and if you run into something that can stomp you, tough luck.

Hell yeah, this is the best news. TW3 is going to kick so much rear end. I think that no scaling at all will work really well with The Witcher since a big part of The Witcher has always been using potions, bombs, traps, and all sorts of dirty fighting and the thought of using all the tools in your arsenal effectively along with some meticulous planning to take down a really powerful enemy early on gives me a big videogame hardon. :fap:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So I'm finally trying out The Witcher 2 EE after letting it sit in my Steam library for ages. 10 minutes into the tutorial, I think I broke it. I'm at the arena part that wants me to level up and spend talents, but after I do so, it won't advance beyond that prompt. :saddowns:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

IronSaber posted:

So I'm finally trying out The Witcher 2 EE after letting it sit in my Steam library for ages. 10 minutes into the tutorial, I think I broke it. I'm at the arena part that wants me to level up and spend talents, but after I do so, it won't advance beyond that prompt. :saddowns:

Lots of people get stuck here, including me. You need to go back to the skill tree and use a mutagen on one of the skills. There's only one skill you can use it on I think, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
I hosed up installing FCR2 and now my 15GB TW2 folder is 40GB. The installer ran multiple times and installed fully each time. What do I do to uninstall each of them without corrupting my game?

EDIT: I still have the old GOG installer lying around so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I guess.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 25, 2013

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Konsek posted:

Lots of people get stuck here, including me. You need to go back to the skill tree and use a mutagen on one of the skills. There's only one skill you can use it on I think, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

I see. Gonna try using the mutagen on a thing and see what happens.

Also, which is preferable: using a controller or using a kb/m?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a mod that removes the "saves don't work if you die" on dark mode?

I want the difficulty that high, and dark mode sounds rad except for permadeath. permadeath is dumb.

edit: looks like someone got confused with Insane.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 25, 2013

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Are there any consequences for helping Iorveth over Roche in the quick decision right before the first fight with the Kingslayer?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

IronSaber posted:

Are there any consequences for helping Iorveth over Roche in the quick decision right before the first fight with the Kingslayer?
There will be a race riot in town, and a bunch of dwarves and elves will be massacred.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

IronSaber posted:

Yes there are but it does not lock you out of the big decision.
Big spoilers

Helping Iorveth causes race riots to erupt in Flotsom, alot of people die mostly non humans and Margot's (brothel owner) girlfriend who is an elf is killed, turns out Margot is an informant for the squirrels and asks you to deliver a list of names to Iorveth as revenge, Margot also reveals part of what happened in Sile's room specifically Triss's conversation with Phillipa. Further if you side with Iorveth latter you can pretend to turn him in to gain access to Flotsom rather than attacking the town. If you side with Roche after helping Iorveth then when you meet Iorveth again later he is slightly less hostile towards you.

Helping Roche initially results in a party being held, Margot commits suicide because she thinks she is going to be found out by Loredo, Margot's girlfriend reveals part of what happened in Sile's room with Triss, specifically her conversation with Dethmold. If you side with Iorveth he is a prisoner so you and the squirrels assault the town to free him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wait, Triss talks to Dethmold if you do the other thing? I never knew that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think she actually talks to both and each of the women saw half the conversation. You only hear from the survivor.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

I think she actually talks to both and each of the women saw half the conversation. You only hear from the survivor.

Yeah she talks to both, but the prostitutes each saw a different person because they looked in at different times.
This isnt really conveyed well in the cutscene, but its implied during your conversation with the survivor.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 29, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
drat. I gotta see that. He's such a raging misogynist that interaction has to be interesting.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Sharmat posted:

drat. I gotta see that. He's such a raging misogynist that interaction has to be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyJonW6dqs
About 2 minutes in

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Well, I beat The Witcher 2, and I have to say it was a drat fine RPG. I'm greatly looking forward to The Witcher 3!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

IronSaber posted:

Well, I beat The Witcher 2, and I have to say it was a drat fine RPG. I'm greatly looking forward to The Witcher 3!

Now go back and play the path you didn't take.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010

Raneman posted:

Based on material released the war comes to a stalemate around the Yaruga.

Hmmm, I think Nilfgaard reached the shores of the Pontar itself.

In The Lady of the Lake it is semi-implied hat in the future Nilfgaard will control the North, becoming the dominant civilization in the continent for the long-term

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Hey guys, I'm getting input delay in combat - is this a known issue?

Everything else seems smooth. I'm running at a consistent 60 fps. Ideas?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If you aren't running the enhanced combat mod, grab it. I went back to the Witcher 2 after having played through once when it came out and was surprised at how sluggish Geralt's responses felt. The combat mod did a lot to clear it up.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Sure, I'll give that a shot.

Is it this one?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/255-Full-Combat-Rebalance-2/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Yeah. http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=77 Grab 1.1 and install it. Then install 1.1a on top of 1.1

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Witcher 2 stutter and lag so badly even though I have turned the settings to low. The problem didn't occur when I first installed the original Witcher 2 (don't remember when) with higher settings, but seemingly transpired after installing certain patches. Any solution to this?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I know I couldn't play with Ubersampling (or is it Ultrasampling?) on at all. Everything else maxxed out plays just fine for me though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Ubersampling (supersampling) initially renders the scene at a bigger resolution (usually at 2x, 4x or 8x resolution), so it's very memory and memory bandwidth intensive. For example, doubling the resolution means quadrupling the amount of pixels.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Ubersampling is always off, so it's not that issue.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009
Try increasing the Texture Memory Size option while keeping the rest of the settings low, see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, this is sort of an unlikely solution, but try clearing out your savegame folder if it has about a hundred saves in it. I had some severe stability/stutter issues lategame related to that. If you're using Steam, the game has cloud saving enabled by default which you'd have to turn off and the saves would be located in Steam/Userdata/--/20920.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I've deleted TW2 save games and turned settings to low with Texture Memory Size high, nope. Still lag very bad, with FPS steadily remains 10 and below, even in Tutorial level (except of course when opening inventory menu).

I don't know why the game could run very smooth before back then...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Did you try the lag fix .dll and changing render ahead settings?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2512837!

You can also adjust the render ahead in your video card I believe, which might help.

Might not help you since those mostly fix stuttering issues and choppy weirdness, but it's worth a shot.

Are any other games giving you bad performance? And have to tried alternate video card drivers?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks but that didn't help, and I discovered that I've already applied that "fix" previously to no avail.

Witcher 2 is currently the only game that gave bad performance, but like I mentioned before, when I first bought and installed the original game (prior to latest patches) it could run smoothly at higher settings. Other games like Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 3 can run smoothly. Also, Witcher 2's performance before and after ATI driver update remain sluggish.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I had a similar problem with a different game once. Other, more graphics intensive games would run fine but this one chugged at barely double figure fps. Turned out to be a setting AMD graphics control centre software (name escapes me), specifically in my case I had told it to force all programs too use the most intensive type of anti-alias in the 3d applications settings. Changing this back to using the application's own settings fixed this. Hope this at least gives you more options to look at.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Overminty posted:

I had a similar problem with a different game once. Other, more graphics intensive games would run fine but this one chugged at barely double figure fps. Turned out to be a setting AMD graphics control centre software (name escapes me), specifically in my case I had told it to force all programs too use the most intensive type of anti-alias in the 3d applications settings. Changing this back to using the application's own settings fixed this. Hope this at least gives you more options to look at.

Yea, I've heard of this before with AMD/ATI stuff. Does it just randomly set these, or is it really easy to accidentally set it globally? I haven't used an ATI card since my RX800 in 2004 (back when ATI drivers were horrible).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 12, 2013

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I don't remember what the default settings were but I think I probably messed around with them to see if they made a difference and then forgot about them months later when I encountered the problem. I guess you could potentially set them by accident but in my case it was my own dumb fault :v:

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Negative, Overminty. ATI allows the application's own settings to run themselves. I guess I'm going to reinstall Witcher 2 from scratch and see how it will perform. :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You know what tiny little thing I love about Witcher 2 that you can't seem to do in other RPGs? Pause into the menu during dialogue/cutscenes. I'm often annoyed that I can't do that when playing other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Just got around to playing this since the Steam Summer Sale (yeah, just now...) and I want to say,

The Opening Post posted:

Dark Mode is not for a first playthrough. On Dark Mode, many things can and will kill you in one hit.

The very first fight in the game took about 20 reloads. Because I hate myself.

My main issue is that dodging doesn't seem to grant any real invincibility frames, but Parrying just means losing a slightly smaller massive chunk of health instead of the normal near death hit. Is there any tips on Parrying and how to get it to work in Dark Mode? Or any tips for surviving in Dark Mode period?

• Locked thread