Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Strawman posted:

What happened in the past is irrelevant, rich people always respond rationally to economic incentives, that's why they're rich.

More that half of the 1% inherited their wealth, which I guess was technically was an economically rational thing to do at that point in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Only poor people or people who absolutely need space and want to "move to the suburbs" for their family live outside of manhattan. It would be like having a yacht that's too small.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Cheekio posted:

More that half of the 1% inherited their wealth, which I guess was technically was an economically rational thing to do at that point in their lives.

It's a sarcastic post.

Still, there's been an enormous domestic outmigration from the New York metro area in recent years (of course, there are many reasons for this, the most important of which is probably the cost of living. The idea that a moderate tax increase will cause significant numbers of people leaving is dubious, but I don't really see any evidence other than "people haven't moved out," which isn't actually saying anything.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Strawman posted:

What happened in the past is irrelevant, rich people always respond rationally to economic incentives, that's why they're rich.

Oh, absolutely. Lord knows we shouldn't use past events of exactly the same type as a predictor for reactions in the future. That would be stupid. And people are always totally rational.

Look, this supposed flight from NYC didn't happen in 2009 (jumped from 6.85% to 8.97%) or in 2004 (6.85% to 7.7%), and there's zero reason to believe that it will somehow cause an apocalypse this time.

fake edit: Unless my sarcasm detector is working improperly, in which case carry on!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I thought we were all due for an update on one of 2014's least exciting, least important races: the Oregon gubernatorial race. So far, two Republican candidates have declared: Dennis Richardson, a state representative from southern Oregon, and Jon Justesen, a rancher and businessman with no political experience, from Eastern Oregon.

I don't know how Republican Jon Justesen is, since he appears to be pro-choice and wants a state sales tax to fund universal health care.

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/09/jon_justesen_pumps_another_250.html

This might mean that the Gubernatorial race might actually have some interest in it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"September 11 is something, in my view, you don't talk about politically. It's almost sacred." ~ Rudy Giuliani, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBSsHexjwA

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

"September 11 is something, in my view, you don't talk about politically. It's almost sacred." ~ Rudy Giuliani, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBSsHexjwA

HAHAHAhahaha eat poo poo, Rudy.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DteDRD6cbbM&t=31s

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The NYC primaries are, of course, tonight. Only two major points of interest are whether BdB clears 40 to avoid a runoff (recent polling suggests perhaps not, with the likely runoff against Thompson), and Spitzer against Stringer in the comptroller race, which looks super-tight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The NYC primaries are, of course, tonight. Only two major points of interest are whether BdB clears 40 to avoid a runoff (recent polling suggests perhaps not, with the likely runoff against Thompson), and Spitzer against Stringer in the comptroller race, which looks super-tight.
Sam Wang has BdB at 90% to avoid a run-off and Weiner at 80% to win.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ufarn posted:

Sam Wang has BdB at 90% to avoid a run-off and Weiner at 80% to win.

Mark Blumenthal made this point and Wang acknowledged it, which is that the quality of the polling he's using to model is pretty suspect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Mark Blumenthal made this point and Wang acknowledged it, which is that the quality of the polling he's using to model is pretty suspect.
Oh definitely, but Wang could also be talked down to 72% - although I don't know to which degree his Bayesian probability of pollsters being right was based on anything.

Time will tell, and it's interesting that Nate Silver hasn't given the election much attention. Local primary data will probably always suck.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tonight also features the recall vote for Colorado Senate President John Morse of Colorado Springs and Sen. Angela Giron of Pueblo on charges of insufficiently respecting the rights of well organized militias.

Live results will be posted here: http://live.denverpost.com/Event/Colorado_Recall_Election_2013. Polls close at 9pm ET / 7pm MT.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Tonight also features the recall vote for Colorado Senate President John Morse of Colorado Springs and Sen. Angela Giron of Pueblo on charges of insufficiently respecting the rights of well organized militias.

Live results will be posted here: http://live.denverpost.com/Event/Colorado_Recall_Election_2013. Polls close at 9pm ET / 7pm MT.

Has there been any polling on this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

HMS Beagle posted:

Has there been any polling on this?

No, but the party affiliation of early voters indicates that it may be a split decision, with Colorado Springs passing the recall and Pueblo rejecting it. Recall elections are very difficult to predict though, see Governor Scott Walker, for example.

eta: via the Denver Post site, here's Republican Bernie Herpin, preparing his victory speech in anticipation of a Morse recall that would see him elected to the State Senate as a replacement.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 11, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
BdB is over 40% in the exit polls and leads every demographic except moderates and black men (who favor Thompson) and "all other races" (non-white, non-black, non-hispanic) (who favor Liu).

Meanwhile, early returns show the Morse recall as a nailbiter with him only down a few hundred votes and ~5,000 left to count.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, early returns show the Morse recall as a nailbiter with him only down a few hundred votes and ~5,000 left to count.

45% reporting and Morse is down 52 - 47, Girion's results are starting to come in too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

BdB is over 40% in the exit polls and leads every demographic except moderates and black men (who favor Thompson) and "all other races" (non-white, non-black, non-hispanic) (who favor Liu).

Spitzer is also down by about 6 in this batch of exits. Scott Stringer as city comptroller is just so...boring.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
It's still early, but Weiner is currently 5th, behind de Blasio, Thompson, Quinn, and "the other one" John Liu.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joementum posted:

Wait what? Can you explain this to me.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mooseontheloose posted:

Wait what? Can you explain this to me.

Morse and Giron were targeted by CO gun nuts bankrolled by the NRA in protest of their votes and stewardship of the gun control laws that were passed earlier this year - namely, universal background checks and I believe a magazine size restriction.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sydney Leathers tried to crash the Weiner victory party. Had she gotten in, she'd have been able to hob-nob with some of the best political analysts in New York.

quote:

Upstairs, about 150 people filled a narrow room as Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” played, and Mr. Weiner’s supporters remained optimistic that their candidate would come through in the end.

“I think it’s an uphill battle but if people look past his personal life, at his policies, then maybe he has a chance,” said Ray Pau, 26, of Hollis Queens, who works for the Social Security Administration.

Right now there's a big district in the middle of Manhattan with no votes counted. Could be a big pocket of Weiner supporters.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 11, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

Sydney Leathers tried to crash the Weiner victory party. Had she gotten in, she'd have been able to hob-nob with some of the best political analysts in New York.

Right now there's a big district in the middle of Manhattan with no votes counted. Could be a big pocket of Weiner supporters.

I have it from reliable sources that that precinct is a big fan of Weiner. Huge fan.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BdB is currently at 39.6% (!!!) with 82% of precincts reporting. If it goes to a run-off, it'll be him against Thompson. Something I thought was interesting is that according to http://project.wnyc.org/election2013/ he's winning all ethnicities except Asian (who are going for Liu). That is, if you go by majority districts.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Weiner gave the finger to a local reporter

A fitting end

fake e: And Spitzer conceded

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
God damnit Weiner look what you did.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

De Blasio just hit 40%!!! :siren:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's been slowly ticking up. Hopefully he can hold it and we won't have to deal with a runoff.

Really, people, instant runoff voting. It's not that hard.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Teddybear posted:

It's been slowly ticking up. Hopefully he can hold it and we won't have to deal with a runoff.

Really, people, instant runoff voting. It's not that hard.

This is AMERICA, son. We do things our own way!* :911:

* "Our own way" being the shittiest possible way

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, Morse becomes the first state legislator to be recalled in Colorado history. Here's the scene at his opponent's headquarters during a break to watch Dancing with the Stars.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 11, 2013

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Morse becomes the first state legislator to be recalled in Colorado history. Here's the scene at his opponent's headquarters during a break to watch Dancing with the Stars.

So will there be a new election for his seat?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Goodnight, Carlos.

radical meme posted:

So will there be a new election for his seat?

Bernie Herpin (pictured earlier on this page) won the race to replace him today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So to be clear the Colorado recall was entirely gun control based right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Gun control along with the defense of freedom.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In the end I think it was more about listening to the constituents instead of being "Brave" and telling the press outright that you weren't going to listen to them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So the answer is yes then, well that's a great message to send, I can't see any downsides to that. I mean, it's not like anything happened in CO around that time to make someone maybe think 'hm, we should do something about the guns'.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

In the end I think it was more about listening to the constituents instead of being "Brave" and telling the press outright that you weren't going to listen to them.

Yeah, as they say, all politics is local. Bloomberg can be the puppet master and give you money, but he can't actually vote for you, your constituents do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I agree it was because the Jew funded it, there was nothing else that could have made a CO lawmaker think there's a gun problem, it was the Jew.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I agree it was because the Jew funded it, there was nothing else that could have made a CO lawmaker think there's a gun problem, it was the Jew.

Wow, what the hell is with the anti Semitism. As a Jewish American I don't like your implication.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As a Jew as well I don't like tossing around that it must be Bloomberg being 'the puppetmaster' and not, ya know, the fact that a theater got shot up by a crazy dude who was able to get a gun easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As a Jew as well I don't like tossing around that it must be Bloomberg being 'the puppetmaster' and not, ya know, the fact that a theater got shot up by a crazy dude who was able to get a gun easily.

Why? H is a puppetmaster. Pulling at the strings and tossing his money around like a corrupting influence.

• Locked thread