Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

Is there a wiki page on your mod?

Sure is, I (or somebody) do need to update it though. http://wiki.technicpack.net/Artifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
Anyone know any good setups for engineers toolbox? I have tried out a basic build in creative and I managed to make a Grinder+Furnace setup in one block, but it processes stuff really slowly, even with power.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shukaro posted:

Sure is, I (or somebody) do need to update it though. http://wiki.technicpack.net/Artifice

Oh, Artifice! The players on my server asked for your mod to be included in our next map! :) Thanks for the excellent work!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is there a way to get all the cool trees in Forestry without bee breeding? Like maybe some mod that just puts them on the overworld or something? Some people on my server don't mind the bee breeding poo poo, which is great for them, but I can't stand it.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Fortis posted:

Is there a way to get all the cool trees in Forestry without bee breeding? Like maybe some mod that just puts them on the overworld or something? Some people on my server don't mind the bee breeding poo poo, which is great for them, but I can't stand it.

The way I did it is I went into forestry.cfg, then immediately closed it and removed Forestry and got Natura and Biomes O Plenty.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Do the cool trees in forestry DO anything pr are they just more trees

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

They have new wood textures along with stairs and fences to accompany them. They're pretty good for building with if you want some variety.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Some of them have fruits that can be squeezed into seed oil or fruit juice. The former for "stuff?" and the latter for bonus ethanol production. Only neither the new Forestry multi-farms (which are admittedly cool when you figure them out, and pretty looking) or the easier to work with (but not as pretty) MFR harvesters recognize or harvest the fruit in my experience.

Honestly, the only really neat things about Forestry in my opinion are the crazy multifarms and the biomass/ethanol/charcoal production of a tree farm for infinite power. Both of which can be done just as well with MFR's equipment that's a lot easier to work with. The only advantage of the fermenter/distillery setup is that it's easier to get a decent amount of fuel out of as compared to MFR's bioreactor which will devour materials for minimal gains if you're not careful.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Some of them have fruits that can be squeezed into seed oil or fruit juice. The former for "stuff?" and the latter for bonus ethanol production. Only neither the new Forestry multi-farms (which are admittedly cool when you figure them out, and pretty looking) or the easier to work with (but not as pretty) MFR harvesters recognize or harvest the fruit in my experience.

Multifarms have to be configured to Arboretum to pick fruit off trees, and you want the fruit picker, not the harvester.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Honestly, the only really neat things about Forestry in my opinion are the crazy multifarms and the biomass/ethanol/charcoal production of a tree farm for infinite power. Both of which can be done just as well with MFR's equipment that's a lot easier to work with. The only advantage of the fermenter/distillery setup is that it's easier to get a decent amount of fuel out of as compared to MFR's bioreactor which will devour materials for minimal gains if you're not careful.

Forestry farms is kind of easier to automate but is more limited in what it can do. what it does do (if you are farming the right kind of tree) is poo poo two different kinds of fuel. The only issue is the initial (large) resource cost. But it tends to be cheaper energy wise when its constantly running.
TL;DR It's a much better low end farm. Use MFR for mass production using fertilizer.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'm looking at setting up a server for myself and some friends soon, but it needs to be hosted ('cause I sure don't have the hardware to do it myself). Is there a host that's recommended over the others, or is creeperhost fine?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

m2pt5 posted:

Multifarms have to be configured to Arboretum to pick fruit off trees, and you want the fruit picker, not the harvester.

I fiddled with both in creative with the Toasty modpack. The Multifarm just didn't seem to recognize the fruit, either the pods or the stuff that fell from leaves. The fruit picker didn't seem to recognize any podded fruit besides chocolate on jungle trees. Though for all I was doing something wrong either way, but honestly oak saplings in a fermenter with water instead of juice gives more than enough free energy to work several combustion engines.

SugarAddict posted:

Forestry farms is kind of easier to automate but is more limited in what it can do. what it does do (if you are farming the right kind of tree) is poo poo two different kinds of fuel. The only issue is the initial (large) resource cost. But it tends to be cheaper energy wise when its constantly running.
TL;DR It's a much better low end farm. Use MFR for mass production using fertilizer.

Basically, it's really up to personal preference in my opinion. The differences are really so slight that they more or less are negligible once everything is up and running.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Serifina posted:

I'm looking at setting up a server for myself and some friends soon, but it needs to be hosted ('cause I sure don't have the hardware to do it myself). Is there a host that's recommended over the others, or is creeperhost fine?

http://creepercrew.net/ Has good pricing, might be worth checking out.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Serifina posted:

I use Akliz, and they have wonderful support and an easy to use web interface.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Streaming some more code stuff tonight

http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro

Edit: EVERYBODY LOVES BUILDFILES RIGHT????

Syenite fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 11, 2013

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Cantorsdust posted:

I use Akliz, and they have wonderful support and an easy to use web interface.

As do I, dead-easy to setup and maintain, but it won't run Toast Crunchy unless you send a mail in to support to ask about getting the permgen size turned up.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'm planning on using a mod setup of my own, not one of the public packs. But it is a few... 50, I think. Or about there. Is that likely to be a problem?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

:toot:

Now that that's taken care of, I can do things-that-aren't-build.xml

Edit: taking a break from java for the night

Syenite fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 11, 2013

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Shukaro posted:

:toot:

Now that that's taken care of, I can do things-that-aren't-build.xml

Edit: taking a break from java for the night

It's ok, Dota 2 is my favorite Minecraft mod.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Shukaro, 159 makes my server crash, but 157 doesn't.

crash log
server FML log

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

Shukaro, 159 makes my server crash, but 157 doesn't.

crash log
server FML log

Whoops I forgot to sideonly a thing, I'll fix it tomorrow. :confuoot:

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

Alkydere posted:

... MFR's bioreactor which will devour materials for minimal gains if you're not careful.

Try using melons. They have an absurd seed yield over other plants. The biofuel output from 20 or so melon plants is more than enough power to handle a basic AE network, quarry and auto ore processing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

kerpow posted:

Try using melons. They have an absurd seed yield over other plants. The biofuel output from 20 or so melon plants is more than enough power to handle a basic AE network, quarry and auto ore processing.

Also squid. Ink (like all dyes) is consumable in a bioreactor, and squid have a ridiculous yield. Make a tank, cap the top so the squid can't poke their heads out and suffocate, and install a rancher on the side.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah ink is the best right now. I got 8 ranchers surrounding one squid feeding into 4 bio reactors and a DSU for the surplus, after two days the DSU have almost 800 000 ink in it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

Also squid. Ink (like all dyes) is consumable in a bioreactor, and squid have a ridiculous yield. Make a tank, cap the top so the squid can't poke their heads out and suffocate, and install a rancher on the side.

I thought that was removed.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I don't know about that, it's in the version Toast is using right now.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

That squid thing is amazing. That has to be how I power my space station now :)

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

kerpow posted:

That squid thing is amazing. That has to be how I power my space station now :)

With the Quantum stuff in AE, you can even have your ink sacs available on your space station from your terrestrial squid farm.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Welp. I know now what I'll be doing once I get some lunch.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I think having the sacs brought from earth would defeat the purpose of a squid-powered space station.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Serifina posted:

If you're at all comfortable in linux (or willing to learn) then you can get a nice VPS from Ramnode (promo code LEB35 for permanent 35% off) or DigitalOcean and roll your own server. I'm running a couple smallish servers with huge custom mod packs, one dynmapped, a mumble server, and web hosting for the pack downloads on a $20 server from Ramnode.

Also, RE: Squid Power, I ran 180 MJ/t of biofuel generators comfortably on two bioreactors being fed by a single squid-rancher and a 16x16 melon/pumpkin farm. The three-product efficiency is crazy and over 90% of my ink ended up getting voided. It's even more ridiculous if you throw 4 Lilypads of Fertility down on the farm. I used pulverizers to seedify the fruits, but you can also do it with any form of autocrafting.

For the squids, make sure you use a Jailer's Safari Net or else they'll up and disappear every couple hours :iiam:

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 11, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Welp. I know now what I'll be doing once I get some lunch.
It also works with bone meal. Because it's a dye.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Khorne posted:

It also works with bone meal. Because it's a dye.

Yes, but what's the easiest ways to get bones? Can it compete with a 5x5x5 squid-tank?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Yes, but what's the easiest ways to get bones? Can it compete with a 5x5x5 squid-tank?
It depends on what else you are doing. Spawners get bones pretty easily, and wither skeletons are a pretty common thing to have a permanent spawner setup for.

There was supposed to be a bioreactor nerf that made it so you had to diversify significantly to get similar results to a single item now. When that comes into effect, if it does, it will be important to have multiple things to feed them. It'd be a well deserved nerf.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 11, 2013

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So after placing down a floor of Advanced Blast Walls and Walls/Ceilings of Marble Pavers in a massive room (fully chunkloaded - 12 chunks large), i get really bad lag when breaking the advanced blast walls apart.

I love the texture and their feature, but I am going to have to take them out of they are causing this problem. Anyone have any experience with Artifice and lag from using large amounts of the blocks?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Khorne posted:

It depends on what else you are doing. Spawners get bones pretty easily, and wither skeletons are a pretty common thing to have a permanent spawner setup for.

There was supposed to be a bioreactor nerf that made it so you had to diversify significantly to get similar results to a single item now. When that comes into effect, if it does, it will be important to have multiple things to feed them. It'd be a well deserved nerf.

With 9 different input products processing simultaneously, biofuel per input item yield doubles. (To 160 mB / item IIRC.) Efficiency scales linearly with # of inputs.

So yeah, you can realistically just do a squid farm for everything. It is fun to setup more, though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
If you really only want a single-crop bioreactor, and have magical crops installed, it's hard to beat dye seeds. The reactor will run off both the seeds and the dyes you can make from the essence. Since there are more than 9 dyes, that single crop type is enough to run a bioreactor at full efficiency. Bonus: never hunt down dye material again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

If you really only want a single-crop bioreactor, and have magical crops installed, it's hard to beat dye seeds. The reactor will run off both the seeds and the dyes you can make from the essence. Since there are more than 9 dyes, that single crop type is enough to run a bioreactor at full efficiency. Bonus: never hunt down dye material again.

Does either the multifarm or harvester work with magical crop plants? I know the planter at least knows what to do with the seeds.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Does either the multifarm or harvester work with magical crop plants? I know the planter at least knows what to do with the seeds.

For MFR-magical crop compatibility, it depends on the two versions. From my group of mods, I can say with certainty that the most recent MFR, 2.6.4-975, works with an older version of magical crops, 1.5.1.2.1.0. I saw in the magical crops thread that the newest version of magical crops doesn't work with MFR, and the mod author says that's on MFR's end to fix. Since powercrystals is nowhere to be found, you're probably better off updating MFR to its most recent version, and then keeping magical crops at a version that works with MFR. I'm going to see later tonight which is the most recent version that works with MFR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yup, been testing it msyelf in creative. While the Dye-farm is probably the most absurdly productive for a bio-reactor, it's not feasable for automation. Neither the MFR harvester nor the entire multifarm system works with the dye.

A pumpkin/melon farm, on the other hand, can do quite well with an auto-crafter turning pumpkins and melons into seeds.

Finally a squid-reactor is obscene. The ranchers spit out ink sacs as fast as they can, which is ever so slightly faster than a bioreactor can empty itself out. What's even better is you can surround a tank with multiple ranchers. If it weren't for the fact that there would be no room for the power lines, you could make the entire tank out of ranchers and make so much loving ink.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2013

• Locked thread