Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I got an Angulon 90mm f/6.8 to use on my Travelwide, whenever it gets here. This thing is tiny.

I already have a Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 but it's huge in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Do I just suck with split prism? I seem to have more misses in focus with split prism on my Mamiya than the fuzzy focus thing that is on my Blad. I make sure the split line isn't broken, I even wiggle the camera a bit to make sure the split is true and I'm off really bad sometimes. Whats everyone's focusing screen of choice?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Do I just suck with split prism? I seem to have more misses in focus with split prism on my Mamiya than the fuzzy focus thing that is on my Blad. I make sure the split line isn't broken, I even wiggle the camera a bit to make sure the split is true and I'm off really bad sometimes. Whats everyone's focusing screen of choice?

Is it consistently off in the same direction and by the same amount? Maybe your screen was installed incorrectly or it's out of calibration and needs to be shimmed or something.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I use the split prism in my Hassy and it helps me to nail focus all the time. Is there a possibility that your screen or lens is not calibrated to the body?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The focus screen on my Bronica was sitting just up a little due to the clasps not fully securing the screen, screwed up a number of rolls before I figured it out.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just wanted to weigh in with iPhone Lightmeter App. I've been running around with it for a while and an 18% GC. I also take my DSLR for more precise metering, and so far every iPhone reading is at least 1/3 stop over. Genrally it's about 1/2 to 1 stop over. It may be that my iPhone camera is faulty but I dunno. I don't trust it much now, or if I use it I just stop down another 1/2-1/3

e: maybe I should just buy a decent meter already

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Just wanted to weigh in with iPhone Lightmeter App. I've been running around with it for a while and an 18% GC. I also take my DSLR for more precise metering, and so far every iPhone reading is at least 1/3 stop over. Genrally it's about 1/2 to 1 stop over. It may be that my iPhone camera is faulty but I dunno. I don't trust it much now, or if I use it I just stop down another 1/2-1/3

e: maybe I should just buy a decent meter already

You can probably get away with your iPhone meter if you're shooting negatives, but it's risky if you're shooting slides, especially if you're metering over. Or just buy a proper meter already!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Get in the habit of using sunny 16/reciprocity in your head and using a meter as confirmation. It'll make dialing in your exposure settings quite a bit faster if you're already in the right ballpark. I've been trying my hand at street photography lately and even with a metered camera, I'm finding that the only thing I can really rely on is scale focusing and precalculated exposure settings, there just isn't time to do that stuff when you go to take most shots.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If you can get a meter app that uses "spot metering", where you select on the phone the point your interested in, I've found it to be pretty accurate. But if I'm most concerned about it, I use my cheap little L-208 Sekonic meter by getting readings at the darkest and brightest areas of the scene and working it out from there, worked well when I only shot slides in Iceland.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Sorry that you folks aren't baller enough to have real spot meters, IN MOTHERFUCKING QUICKDRAW HOLSTERS.:clint:

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

8th-snype posted:

Sorry that you folks aren't baller enough to have real spot meters, IN MOTHERFUCKING QUICKDRAW HOLSTERS.:clint:

Really wish I could find that DSLR from TFR that someone mounted on half a rifle stock.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
It's pretty handy not to have to dig into my bag to meter or worry about it falling out of my pocket while carrying my stuff in the field (my last spotmeter died from blunt force trauma due to a fall from hoodie pocket). I bought it because I thought it was :krad: but ended actually using it more often than not.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

In Russia camera shoot YOU! :ussr:

But my favourite is this little fella, 4x5 BANG:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

In Russia camera shoot YOU! :ussr:

But my favourite is this little fella, 4x5 BANG:

Look at how cool Konica used to be.

http://www.kehblog.com/2010/09/machine-gun-camera.html

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is one kick-rear end winder on the side, kind of like modified film tommy-gun.

I just can't get over the stupidity of the 4x5 gun, and it looks like a plate shooting camera too.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

aliencowboy posted:

Get in the habit of using sunny 16/reciprocity in your head and using a meter as confirmation. It'll make dialing in your exposure settings quite a bit faster if you're already in the right ballpark. I've been trying my hand at street photography lately and even with a metered camera, I'm finding that the only thing I can really rely on is scale focusing and precalculated exposure settings, there just isn't time to do that stuff when you go to take most shots.

Yeah I have "sunny 16" in my head but I have a brain like a hunk of swiss cheese so when lighting conditions get a little hairier I don't trust my memory because it has never served me well in that respect. I have a little book in my camera bag with it written down as well as reciprocity failure for all the film I'm using.

Talked to a guy who makes great MF photos mostly on TMAX, PORTRA, EKTAR and he says he never takes reciprocity failure into consideration and never does LE's over 3 minutes. I know portra is pretty good up to 25 seconds or something.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

The de Young Museum, San Franciso by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Does anyone use a mechanical self timer on their medium format stuff? I bought a Kopil self timer but it doesn't extend far enough to fire the shutter on my Hassey and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

Does anyone use a mechanical self timer on their medium format stuff? I bought a Kopil self timer but it doesn't extend far enough to fire the shutter on my Hassey and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

IIRC you can adjust the Kopil by loosening the knurled tapered part and pulling on the shaft (that's what she said :pervert: )

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Yeah I have a couple of cheapo, mechanical self timers, and even the cheapest one (forgot the brand name - Hansa I think?) that sounds like it's full of choking angry bees has a part that you can unscrew or screw in tighter to adjust the length of the shaft. So yeah what MrBlandAverage said.

Be sure that you don't extend the shaft too much, the timers don't seem to like it. I had one where, like you, I didn't know of this adjustment and just used it as-is and now it obsessionally misfires. I guess something got jammed up by the shaft not being able to extend fully and the gears going *crunch*.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So guys, this is a thing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96793993/hasselnuts-hasselblad-camera-iphone-digitalback-ki

Use your iphone as a digital back for you hasselblad.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Amazing! Turn your Hassy into a $1k+ iPhone camera filter!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Santa is strapped posted:

So guys, this is a thing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96793993/hasselnuts-hasselblad-camera-iphone-digitalback-ki

Anyone who buys one of these should be shot

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I mean, it sounds like a cool project, to gently caress around with in your lab or whatever. But to sell it as a product? That's pushing the limits of what useless or ridiculous things people would buy.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Jesus Christ

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the heads up, got in on the early bird special and ordering an iPhone and Hassy as we speak. Finally the quality of medium format without the expense and hassle (excuse the pun) of film.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I mean, it sounds like a cool project, to gently caress around with in your lab or whatever. But to sell it as a product? That's pushing the limits of what useless or ridiculous things people would buy.

It's not even a cool project in the abstract. The whole point of MF is to have a bigger sensor size, which incurs heavy penalties in weight, size and expense. You then stick that on a cell phone sensor, which are the smallest, cheapest, shittiest sensors money can buy.

The comment about "a $1000 instagram filter" is exactly right. That's precisely what this is. At best it's an extremely expensive way to get a 80mm f/2.8 lens onto your cellphone, when you could just buy a CCTV lens and figure out some kind of magnet mount. Anyone who thinks it's a cool project feel free to send me half of the $975 I saved you, thanks in advance.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 9, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's true, look at this:

quote:

Image Size: Up to 8 mega pixels.

- With 6:6 format, pictures equivalent to about 6 mega pixels.

Awesome! Welcome to 2003 boys and girls!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SMH if you've never stuck medium format glass onto tiny sensors. Start living people!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

quote:

Those digital backs usually come with very large amounts of pixel. However in reality, that many pixels are not required for the regular usage of digital photography.

Well, I'm sold.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I am beyond mad and am simply refusing to believe that exists.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Reichstag posted:

I am beyond mad and am simply refusing to believe that exists.

Probably works better than Portra.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Would be free if you just use a iPhone to take a photo of the focusing screen though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

What are the bad things that are supposed to happen when you forget to reverse a camera's pressure plate to take 220 instead of 120 film? I did this and everything came out hunky dory.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The plate is there to compensate for the different thicknesses of the film (since 120 has a paper backing, 220 doesn't). So all you're pictures are probably slightly out of focus as a result, but it's not a giant difference, so if you aren't shooting wide open you might not notice.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

More like Hasselbad, am I right?!? LOL!!!!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I was recently given a super old camera. The inside of the back cover says this is the camera Ansco V.P. Speedex No. 3 http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ansco/ansco_speedex_3_3a/ansco_speedex_3_3a.htm I cannot find much other information on it at all. I believe I am missing the shutter release cord. Does anyone know anything about this camera or a similar model? Is it worth trying to use?

More images here: http://imgur.com/a/aNxOS

FACKER fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 11, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

FACKER posted:

I was recently given a super old camera. The inside of the back cover says this is the camera Ansco V.P. Speedex No. 3 http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ansco/ansco_speedex_3_3a/ansco_speedex_3_3a.htm I cannot find much other information on it at all. I believe I am missing the shutter release cord. Does anyone know anything about this camera or a similar model? Is it worth trying to use?

More images here: http://imgur.com/a/aNxOS

It takes 120 film (Kodak medium format) according to this list:
http://www.vintagephoto.tv/anscofilmtable.shtml
The lens says 'Anastigmat' making it a triplet, as triplets where the first lenses to allow for correction of all seidel abberations.

That said; the lens looks uncoated, extremely fogged and the general state of the camera isn't much better, either.
The bellows is bound to have more holes than a sieve. You can use either a special lacquer or some sort of black tape to go and try to fix it. It might be very dry and will need to be given a careful treatment with the proper leather-treating stuff, otherwise it is possible that it'll crumble in your hand.

That said folders can be fun, and the only way you're ever going to pocket a 6x9 or similarly large format camera.

Don't underestimate triplets either, I have a triplet TLR -- and when stopped down to, what I guess is f/6.3 it's neigh indistinguishable from it's Tessar equipped brethren.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
From what my naked, untrained eye can tell, it looks like the only light leak is through the lens itself. Not to mention the lens is pretty cloudy and very speckled (probably mold?). Also the lens is very hard to move along the rail, making focusing pretty difficult. Seems like its better suited as a decoration for now.

• Locked thread