Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TwoPair posted:

I love the Iron Knight costume. Like Bruce is standing there thinking "poo poo, I should've told Alfred to oil up the joints on this drat thing a little..."

As a tangent to this discussion, perhaps he could instead develop a means of remotely controlling the suit of armor?

graybook fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It's not like he needs to worry about sitting in that armor.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

graybook posted:

As a tangent to this discussion, perhaps he could instead develop a means of remotely controlling the suit of armor?

A man of iron fighting crime is strange enough as it is, but making it ROBOTOICIZED? How absurd. Next you'll expect it to fly and shoot laser beams. Maybe he can upgrade it to handle higher power threats like Superman?

Just sheer idiocy, jeez.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Nothing says "stealthy crime fighter" like a dude clunking around jumping from roof to roof in 50 lbs of steel.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

KittenofDoom posted:

Nothing says "stealthy crime fighter" like a dude clunking around jumping from roof to roof in 50 lbs of steel.

Still less conspicuous than the glow-in-the-dark costume with the extra-glowy star on the forehead.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gummy Joe posted:

Alternate Batman origin stories eh?

(Batman v1. #256)
At first glance I thought that amorphous gray blob in the second strip was a manatee, and I'm disappointed it wasn't.

Also it's interesting how apparently if Bruce had seen anything besides a bat he wouldn't have bothered to add -man to the end of his alias.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ibntumart posted:

Still less conspicuous than the glow-in-the-dark costume with the extra-glowy star on the forehead.

Hey, there's no reason to bring Moon Knight into this :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wonder if they avoided making that scorpion costume green because of copyright. And what kind of people would fear a Stingray before Steve Irwin's death?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

Wonder if they avoided making that scorpion costume green because of copyright. And what kind of people would fear a Stingray before Steve Irwin's death?

Well, and because most scorpions are not green.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, there's no reason to bring Moon Knight into this :v:

I know you're joking, but because I am an MK fanboy I feel compelled to point out that that is why he is awesome: He wants you to see him coming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uh huh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Via Tumblr; Green Arrow in 1956

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

how-to-pick-up-chicks.jpg

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Somewhere, Clint Barton just got a boner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crowetron posted:

Somewhere, Clint Barton just got a boner.

In fact, he got a high, hard shaft.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around Speedy?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like that Green Arrow is all "What the gently caress Speedy?".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Numero6 posted:

I like that Green Arrow is all "What the gently caress Speedy?".

Pretty sure this is one of those rants Speedy had while he was on heroin. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jiro posted:

Pretty sure this is one of those rants Speedy had while he was on heroin. :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The funniest part about this to me is not his views on marriage but that a young kid would talk like that, using stage direction so melodramatically. He sounds so much like the cover of a comic book I wonder if that line was even supposed to be attributed to him.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So America's favorite frontier hero is...a white guy named Tomahawk. :geno:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think Doom was just sad they missed the Baxter building.

Edit: Not 100% of the source. Google tells me it's Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 11, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

So America's favorite frontier hero is...a white guy named Tomahawk. :geno:

The white man who learns the noble savage's ways and uses them to help his fellow pioneers was a very common trope in westerns.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
The late Golden Age/early Silver Age wasn't exactly known for its subtlety or sensitivity on Native American issues, either.

Most of the issue is Superboy using his "magic" to help his new friend show up and replace the medicine man. Oh, and Superboy becomes one of the tribe's totem spirits.

Adventure Comics 164 (1951)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Random Stranger posted:

The white man who learns the noble savage's ways and uses them to help his fellow pioneers was a very common trope in westerns.
Yeah, it goes waaaaay back to the dawn of American literature (Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans").

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haha, were there even Native Americans that weren't completely familiar with modern American culture and inventions in 1951?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Roark posted:

Most of the issue is Superboy using his "magic" to help his new friend show up and replace the medicine man. Oh, and Superboy becomes one of the tribe's totem spirits.

Great pose they've got him in on that totem pole, too.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Haha, were there even Native Americans that weren't completely familiar with modern American culture and inventions in 1951?
But you see, this is a lost tribe! That excuses away everything!

Aside from how they made that Superboy totem. Maybe they just bought an action figure and stuck it on there?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The interesting thing about Tomahawk is that he's not a Western hero, but one of extremely few Revolutionary War era heroes in the (pre-flashpoint. Dammit.) DC history. He pops up during Swamp Thing's time travel arc that began directly after Moore left the series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

While we're on the subject

e: oh geez that's huge.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I like how the guys sitting closest to Green Arrow are glaring at him, no doubt thinking, "Did that Robin Hood cosplayer seriously just loving call us what I think he did?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ibntumart posted:

I like how the guys sitting closest to Green Arrow are glaring at him, no doubt thinking, "Did that Robin Hood cosplayer seriously just loving call us what I think he did?"

So, now the white-skins, the black-skins, the blue-skins, the green-skins and the red-skins have it in for Green Lantern?

He must've had an emotional spectrum's worth of races after him when O'Neil and Adams were on his book.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

ibntumart posted:

I like how the guys sitting closest to Green Arrow are glaring at him, no doubt thinking, "Did that Robin Hood cosplayer seriously just loving call us what I think he did? In 19-loving-70?"

Fixed that for you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They were just tailgating at a Washington game GA isn't being racist.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

So, now the white-skins, the black-skins, the blue-skins, the green-skins and the red-skins have it in for Green Lantern?

He must've had an emotional spectrum's worth of races after him when O'Neil and Adams were on his book.

Don't forget the orange skins and the purple skins.

from Green Lantern/Green Arrow #1

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

The gravity of that page is kind of undercut by the huge ad at the bottom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They were just tailgating at a Washington game GA isn't being racist.

If he was going to a Washington Racists game, he's racist by default.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

While we're on the subject

e: oh geez that's huge.

Green Arrow is totally aiming at Hal's junk, right? I'm not just seeing things?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

Green Arrow is totally aiming at Hal's junk, right? I'm not just seeing things?

I noticed that right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Meanwhile the guy turns to Green Arrow and says nothing. He doesn't bear any animosity because after all, it is just Green Arrow, the Aquaman of the land. Boxing glove arrows can't punch through the hate in the white man's heart.

• Locked thread