Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Stottie Kyek posted:

The SDL are coming to Edinburgh on the 17th and marching down the Royal Mile between 2pm and 3:15pm. (Or at least they'll try, some of the guys at the branch are talking about blocking their route.)

Yep. The council, on the police's advice, agreed to let a racist group hold a march down the busiest street in Edinburgh, past several shops owned and run by Asian people, right in the middle of the Fringe and Book Festival when there'll be a ton of foreign acts and tourists who now have to either avoid their whole meeting place (and not spend their money in the city) or get caught up in it (and avoid the city ever since and ruin its reputation). The Mile is quite close to the part of town where most of the students and some of the Muslims live too, near the mosque.

We in the CPB handed out fliers about it and the counter-protest round all the small businesses and flats near the Mile the other day. The response was a mix of incredulity that the council would allow it, support (and a lot of recruitment!) for the counter-protest and plans to contact the council. Two teenage lads had a good laugh about how crap the SDL were and asked me how big the biggest guy on our side is. When I said there was a pretty big ex-army guy there and we'd all block any folk who needed protection (this is true, people have brought their kids along to these in the past), they said they'd come help us out. :)

Personally I'm hoping at least one acrobatics/martial arts display troupe is putting on a Fringe show this year and plans to leaflet that day. :getin:

This is absolutely crazy.

If I was in Edinburgh this weekend I'd join the counter-protest for sure. I won't be there until Monday though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

John Charity Spring posted:

This is absolutely crazy.

If I was in Edinburgh this weekend I'd join the counter-protest for sure. I won't be there until Monday though.

It really is. There was a petition on the council web-site to stop it and it got several thousand signatures, but apparently they can't go back on a decision they made less than six months ago, and this was decided in July.

If any other goons want to join the protest, please do come along! :) I'll be with the CPB, I'm the freckly lass with short dark hair and (fake) leather jacket. Come and say hi to us, we're a friendly bunch.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

David Irving, fascist historian and Holocaust denier, is speaking somewhere in Manchester on the 24th. The NF actually managed to haul some of their members out of their crypts and from under their bridges to harrass the SWP paper stand a week and a bit ago so be careful everyone around there!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I really wish I was in Edinburgh this Saturday but I can't get off work because my boss can't get a babysitter and can't cover my shift. Best of luck to all of you, make John Maclean proud.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ugh loving council, the gently caress are they thinking allowing this. I have things I can't get out of Saturday or I'd be there. Since you can hardly walk down the Royal Mile with all the tourists, let alone march, hopefully it will get shut down quickly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Good luck out there! It seems bizarre that it isn't generating some media outrage. Even if you want to be incredibly charitable towards them, they're not the kind of group you'd want marching during one of the city's internationally visible signature events, surely? It's not like they go off peacefully

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Good luck, Edinburgh comrades.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23738234

The least convincing attempt at a 'local' rebrand I've ever seen. I mean even the union jack would should some effort.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

It seems bizarre that it isn't generating some media outrage.

The BBC are repoting 'about 100' SDL turned up, STV say 'around 50', so perhaps not that strange it's not getting much coverage.
What I find a little bizarre is all the English flags on the BBC picture. You'd think they'd at least remember they're calling themselves the Scottish Defence League for a day. Maybe try and give some impression they're not just a coachload of thugs from Blackburn and Sunderland on a daytrip.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
150 is an exaggeration there. I saw roughly 80-100, though we (the CPB branch) couldn't get too close to the front. We showed up after the SWP were having some daft festival thingy that we didn't fancy going to so they were all at the front instead.
There was some Trot with a huge speaker system in the back of a van singing anti-English songs for a wee bit after he saw the English flags (only about one big one and a few wee signs) so we told him that was seriously uncalled for - it's like fighting Hitler by making racist jokes about Austrians - and he stopped and sang some cheery folk songs instead. He later gave the mic to Malcolm Chisholm MSP, who gave a speech about how the council and the police had allowed this fascist march to go ahead and we should all lobby them to make sure it's never allowed to happen again. That was pretty cool. :)

All in all it was a bit of a damp squib really, we didn't get to fight them but on the plus side none of us got hurt AFAIK. After all the fash had wandered off, the police were being very smug and arbitrarily making our side walk all the way round the grassy bit near Arthur's Seat to get back up to the Mile, so people were not pleased with that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Good to hear things went ok. While I like to complain about tourists I shudder to think that some might return home thinking these fascist scum represent us in Edinburgh. Glad the anti-fascists were out in force to show them we don't tolerate these arseholes.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
We were all at the Parliament and (I hear) the Trots had some event thing near the bridges but we didn't see much of the Mile. Hopefully tourists won't have seen them, but if they were just on the Mile when the fash were marching they may have seen only them. Most people were just going about their day quite happily from the looks of things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The EDL are coming back to Brick Lane tomorrow. Or rather they're not, because they're banned from entering Tower Hamlets. This time they wanted permission to march across Tower Bridge, up past Cable Street and gather in Altab Ali Park, just next to Brick Lane. Altab Ali, of course, was a young Bangladeshi man murdered by the National Front in what was then a churchyard and is now the park that bears his name. No symbolism of any kind there, no sir.

So instead they're going to gather up south of the river (appropriately on the site of the old London Dungeon) and try to march across Tower Bridge, where the police will stop them. The official counter-demo is being held at Altab Ali Park, but that's mostly symbolic of course as the EDL won't be allowed within a mile of the place. Unofficial counter-demos at both ends of Tower Bridge and at the entrance to Cable Street are also being planned.

To be honest this is probably going to be an even damper squib than their last attempt - the fact they're not even being allowed within a mile of their proposed route and their general slide into infighting (as well as the fact this is being organised by London EDL, who are hated by most of the rest) means it's unlikely they'll even make it into the hundreds. However that still doesn't mean you shouldn't make an attempt to turn up and (symbolically) bash the fash.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(as well as the fact this is being organised by London EDL, who are hated by most of the rest)

Funny that they'd name themselves after a German supermarket

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Funny that they'd name themselves after a German supermarket

Be fair. They're quite fond of certain things about Germany. :godwinning:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the entrance to Cable Street

It's all happening again :unsmigghh:

chute shine boy
Aug 7, 2013
I think we are really lucky in Denmark that we have a tame/soft "fascist" party who is gobbling up all the anti-immigration votes. It's like they are a fire depriving the air of oxygen so no other fire can start.

Does the EDL actually fill much in the day-to-day life of the average British person?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Superbus MAS posted:

I think we are really lucky in Denmark that we have a tame/soft "fascist" party who is gobbling up all the anti-immigration votes. It's like they are a fire depriving the air of oxygen so no other fire can start.

Does the EDL actually fill much in the day-to-day life of the average British person?

Not remotely. They had a bit of a flare up after the Lee Rigby murder, and firebombed a Mosque, but their numbers are still tiny and their political sway is non-existent.

We have tame/soft "fascist" parties like UKIP to act as the legitimate face of racist nationalism in this country.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Superbus MAS posted:

Depends where you live and how brown you are I guess.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Superbus MAS posted:

In some respects, I would be more concerned about this than the EDL- the EDL are dangerous in their own way, but they are also stupidly predictable/open to infiltration and although attempts are made to hide it, the swastikas and seig heils are never hard to find, and still abhorrent to most xenophobes (hating dark people? fine. But Hitler? one step too far). Having a party with a slick message, management and PR but the same xenophobia here could be devastating.

If the EDL had that management/PR when they had the initial numbers, I dread to think where things would be now. There is a LOT of semi-hidden racism here, people just dogwhistle "immigration" or "muslims".

Superbus MAS posted:

I would imagine that at least half the country has never heard of them.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 7, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Superbus MAS posted:

On the other hand, Danish fascists actually profit from Dansk Folkeparti policies and statements in the media.

En lille artikel på dansk om netop dette fra danske antifascister :denmark: :

http://projektantifa.dk/baggrund/strategi-og-taktik/article/fascisterne-hoster-hvor-pia-sar

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Superbus MAS posted:

In the short term, perhaps, but in the long run they serve to legitimize extreme-right ideas. When you've got a Dansk Folkeparti seen as a real political party people can vote for, the ideas of hardcore fascists will seem just "a bit too extreme" rather than "unthinkably evil" by comparison. It normalizes the core philosophy and makes it acceptable, even though they may not be beating up immigrants.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So for personal reasons I wasn't able to make it to the counter-demo, but sounds like there were bigger EDL numbers than anticipated and that as a result they were allowed to march off the bridge to be kettled at the same point (next to St Botolphs Church) as last time. Disappointingly for symbolic reasons, this does mean that they did technically set foot in Tower Hamlets (the stretch of Tower Bridge Road from Tower Hill to the middle of the bridge is in LBTH).

Tommeh of course turned up and got nicked, a few antifa from Cable Street got nicked for charging the police lines, and a bunch of EDL were nicked for drunk and disorderly and public order offences. The official counter-protest sounded a bit of a damp squib too apart from (from what I hear) Lutfur Rahman tried to hijack it and got booed by some of the crowd, which led to a pretty heated row between the local Labour contingent and the Trots, which sounds like fun.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some facebook updates from the protest:

North East Anti Fascists posted:

Anti Fascists Mass Arrested for nothing - gently caress the Police

North East Anti Fascists encouraged all available anti fascists to head for East London today to confront the EDL, and in many respects it was like some other demonstrations; cops in charge, UAF doing nothing, racists being drunk etc.

Today's London demonstration looks different however due to the scale of petty arrests of anti fascists, possibly for a number of reasons we will now outline. Anti fascism looks like one of the ways the secret state plans its social control of radicalism, pro and anti.

In South Shields recently, for what from the outside looks to be a fairly insignificant moment in politics, actually saw the entire forces of the state deployed in planning the containment of what was happening. The chief and deputy constables of Northumbria were involved and present, special branch, public order policing unit, the police commissioner and local politicians in a full public order control room & on the streets - and that's only what we know about. Similarly, the events in London today show that there is more at stake both for us and our fat controllers.

The New Departure

The direct action anti fascists left the UAF static protest at Altab Ali Park in Whitechapel, to try and achieve something outside of the pacified space of the 'official protest', as any anti fascist progress can only be obtained outside of that space.

After attempts to get towards the fascists, in a pre-planned mass arrest operation the filth announced that a whole kettle was about to be arrested "for breach of Section 12 of Public Order Act". This lead to a truly ridiculous scale of arrests, close to 300 after 6 hour of kettling. All of them totally needless and a large waste of police time and resources. Suddenly, when there have been loads of such viral demonstrations previously, they decided to impose their (Cartmen South Park accent) 'authoritay'.

This is total policing, total domination and a pathetic abuse of their positions. Wankers. They are trying to gather intelligence on anti fascists by this scale of arrests, but they arrested innocent members of the public and journalists, so as usual they will have to shell out cash (we wish it came out of arresting officers pockets and the officer in charge) for their crap policing.

They are also trying to scare and intimidate anti fascists off the streets, which is clear from the bail conditions imposed on protesters (see photo), but we say "gently caress You pathetic bastards, you only do it cos you're well paid and well protected, we do it cos we mean it". The intent of the mass arrests is to clampdown on the progressive social movements, and the only answer we have to this, is to encourage all those enraged by this, those we don't know, our supporters, new contacts, old friends etc to come out with us on anti fascist and other activities. We simply have to redouble our efforts, and make what they are trying to do impossible & counter productive.

To the EDL, we say, you lot were looked after by the police in South Shields very well, the police used kid gloves on the fascists (ignoring the pissing on walls and graffiti) and the oppressive policing was aimed at anti fascists (arrests for trying to protect a photographer from EDL aggression etc). The cops looked after you again in London, while anti fascists have the mass arrests, not the EDL numpties. The '2 tier policing' is clearly aimed at anti fascists.

TO the Left we note that the UAF claimed a victory, again. Ridiculous, again. How? The EDL had their rally without encountering mass opposition, while those who tried to confront them were arrested. Victory, as defined by any reasonable standard, would have been visibly confronting EDL and getting in their way, not standing in a park all day listening to Councillors and priests making well meaning but impotent speeches.

We say the street fighting Anti Fascists from Cable Street would shake their heads & laugh at the UAF, and would recognise in the attempts at direct action and civil disobedience against the fascists the real militant anti fascist tradition.

Solidarity to all arrested, and watch this space for more developments. The North East Anti Fascists will have probably had people arrested today as we had some activists there, we will try to let you all know what support is needed, we give notice that your active support is necessary, and we will publish eye witness reports when we get them.

*No Pasaran* - *They Shall Not Pass!*

Also this:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Holy crap, it's fashman!

Also, what is the English Volunteer Force?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Holy crap, it's fashman!

Most people view them as a splinter group. It looks like the fascists are mimicking in splintering and vaguely populist notions but missing everything else because they're a bunch of racist bastards.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tias posted:

Holy crap, it's fashman!

Fashman! Ahaaaaaaa

Fighter of the Green man! Ahaaaaaaa
Champion of the scum

You're a master of Arsery and Racism for everyone!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fashman! Ahaaaaaaa

Fighter of the Green man! Ahaaaaaaa
Champion of the scum

You're a master of Arsery and Racism for everyone!

A+++, seriously :swoon:!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_JUlXh7sP8

In EDL news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24002252

quote:

EDL leader Tommy Robinson held on east London march.

English Defence League (EDL) leader Tommy Robinson has been arrested as about 500 supporters of the far-right group held a march in east London.

About 3,000 officers were deployed as the group walked from Queen Elizabeth Street, over Tower Bridge, to Aldgate.

Police said 14 people, mainly from the EDL, were arrested for public order offences during the march.

By 19:40 BST, police said about 150 counter-protesters had been arrested for diverting from their agreed route.

On Friday, the EDL lost a court battle after police cut short the route of its planned march through the Tower Hamlets area, which has one of the biggest Muslim populations in the country.

Hundreds of anti-fascist demonstrators gathered at a park in Aldgate East to protest against the shortened EDL march.[...]

So the fascists protecting the fascists arrested more anti fascists then fascists. :suicide:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Simon Childs has written his thing http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-was-arrested-for-trying-to-cover-saturdays-edl-rally

Vice posted:

I WAS ARRESTED FOR TRYING TO REPORT ON SATURDAY'S EDL RALLY

Boredom is the British state's primary means of political repression. In Madrid, Athens and Rome, the cops hurl out the tear gas; in London, they bore you to tears. Granted, horrifying stuff has happened to protesters at the hands of the British police – and they're not doing badly in the global surveillance stakes – but their bread and butter is boredom.

I got some first-hand experience of this myself after I was arrested while reporting at an anti-fascist demonstration on Saturday afternoon. Militant anti-fascists had taken to the streets to confront the marauding punchline that is the English Defence League, and – as is often the case with journalists – I was there to cover the occasion.

Unfortunately, the anti-EDL march had defied the Met's strict itinerary and set off 15 minutes early, which was reason enough for the police to kettle the antifa crowd for hours on end. Eventually, we were arrested en masse. They ended up releasing most people with restrictive bail conditions that make it pretty much illegal for them to protest against fascists (or, in my case, report on those protests) in London until at least late October.

As the kettle closed in, I realised that had I been standing ten metres in either direction, I'd have avoided arrest. Instead, I was stuck there. Consensus was sure that once the EDL had been sent packing, we'd all be released. After all, what would be the point in detaining us if there were no fascists for antifa to fight?

We were wrong. As the hours ticked by, there was still no sign of the EDL but ominously the police started to wheel portaloos into the kettle. We kicked our feet and slowly ran out of cigarettes. Then word started filtering through that arrests were being made in another kettle and the tedium turned into agitation. Some empty red double-deckers rolled into view. Anyone who could remember the recent BNP march in London realised immediately what this meant: we were all going to be arrested. Some decided it was better to get it over with and formed a queue towards the cuffs. Others hung back, but we were all arrested in the end.

I was led off by a member of the City of London Police. Somewhere near the beginning of his questions, he interrupted himself, looked me in the eyes and said, “I just want to let you know that I get no pleasure at all from doing this.” I wasn’t sure if it made it better or worse that we were both having a poo poo time.

Things really got awkward when we got on the bus. With the bottom deck full of bored looking protesters each with their own bored looking cop, I was led to the top deck. Unfortunately me and my policeman were the only people up there. The cop seemed pretty determined to make friends, so we exchanged stilted small talk all the way to Lewisham Police Station, like two strangers at a house party trapped by common courtesy and a queue for the toilet. He admitted that he was content in his job 90 percent of the time, but wasn't too happy about the way today had gone.

He told me that he didn’t really like the EDL. His parents were Spanish and had fled to England when the Spanish Civil War ended, having fought against the fascists. The EDL are hardly Franco, but it seemed a little miserable that the son of people who had risked their lives to fight fascism was currently rounding up anti-fascists and journalists.

After arriving at Lewisham police station, we were all led out to join a queue of about 15 other protesters. As time went by, the queue increasingly resembled the line for the world's most paranoid nightclub, one overzealous bouncer to every punter. Nothing really happened for about four hours. There was more awkward small talk between cops and perps. Absolutely nobody wanted to be there.

At all times, from my arrest onwards, I'd taken every opportunity to point out that I am a journalist, not a protester. It made absolutely no difference. Eventually, we made it inside to a little caged waiting room. Just before I was processed, my arresting officer was given leave to go home. He tapped me and said, “Take it easy, buddy.” Frankly I wasn't being given much option, so I continued to take it easy at her Majesty's pleasure.

I was called in and stood behind a counter while my rights were read to me, before I was photographed and had my fingerprints taken. This made me think the whole thing was more an exercise in intelligence gathering, rather than simply being a lazy way of ensuring there were no clashes in Tower Hamlets that day.

I was put in a cell. This was just until they had verified that I was who I said I was, they explained. This despite that fact they had already asked me for my address about five times, checked my name against my cards and then again against the electoral roll.

I think I was in there for half an hour or so. It was long enough to check out the bed (thin), use the toilet (acceptable) and do a lot of pacing (tax-funded quad workout). At around 2.30AM, they gave me my stuff back and let me out of the huge enforced queue I'd been waiting in for over 12 hours. It was then I discovered that – like most of the others who'd been arrested – I was now on bail and would have to go back to the station for questioning in October, after which I could potentially be charged. My bail conditions are "not to engage in demonstration within the boundaries of the M25 where the English Defence League, English Volunteer Force or British National Party are present". Effectively they've made it a crime for me to report on the EDL. Which is bullshit.

By the time I was at the station, the police were well aware that I was a journalist. The General Secretary of the National Union of Journalists, as well as a number of colleagues and friends, had called the station vouching for me. I wasn’t fully aware of this at the point and no police officer ever acknowledged my position as a journalist. A bunch of drunken racists regularly taking to the streets is a pretty big deal and people have a right to be informed about it, meaning I should probably have a right to write about it.

Around 280 anti-fascists were arrested on Saturday. Reports suggest that, other than the few who'd been charged for GBH or resisting police arrest, they all got the same bail conditions as I did. The police have used their powers in a way that means large numbers of people who wanted to speak out against stampeding bigots will face arrest if they do so until late October. In nearly all cases, their crime was to be present at an anti-fascist march that started 15 minutes early. With only eight of the EDL being arrested, the police are leaving themselves wide open to allegations of bias in favour of the far right and against their opponents.

The police will argue that, no matter what your political stripes, if you transgress the conditions of a protest, you’re nicked (and to be fair, I do remember the police kettling the EDL for hours in Walthamstow and giving them similar treatment). On the one hand, that seems fair. But it also means that you basically can't do anything beyond ineffectual banner waving.

Somewhere during the student protests of 2011, the police realised that boredom was their best weapon. Beating up lefties looks really bad in the press, but a kettle makes for boring copy. Saturday's arrests were weaponised bureaucracy, a brilliantly British tactic of punishing people so mundanely that they won't even have a decent story to tell their mates once it's over. They're trying to make street politics so boring that no kid would ever be bothered to join in. I’m not saying I’d rather live somewhere where the police are likely to kick the eyes out of your head before they’ve even asked you a question, but political policing in this country is all the more effective for its subtlety.

The last paragraph, it's all so true :(

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I stopped looking at the EDL for a while because the abyss was beginning to stare back at me. I figure following their return to, ahem, Tower Hamlets I'd have a quick look and see what they're up to.

TL;DR exactly the same stuff they'e been doing for four years, only there's a lot less of them and they look even sadder.

The EDL have a hardon for Tower Hamlets, home to one of the largest Muslim populations in Britain. They tried, and failed, to march there last year, shortly before getting the everloving gently caress kicked out of them at Walthamstow. This year, the Mayor of Tower Hamlets had been campaigning for a ban on the march for quite some time, going so far as threatening legal action against Teresa May.

Under pressure, May eventually complied and put the hammer down.

This made Tommeh cross because he'd worked really hard to get a day off from his bail conditions so that he could attend.

No, really.

Having previously been handed this:

He applied for an alteration in his bail conditions and got them. Because the magistrates he saw were half-asleep, I guess.

He shared this victory with everyone through Twitter:

A while after he posted a legal document made out to him and with his full name, address and details on it he realised that he had just, in fact, posted onto the internet a legal document made out to him and with his full name, address and details on it.

Thankfully, he came up with a brilliant scheme to cover for his momentary lack of thought:

Which, had that been believed by anyone, would have utterly invalidated the whole thing because:

quote:

Rule 19.25(1) places a requirement on the defendant to notify the prosecutor of the address at which he would reside if released on bail with a condition of residence as soon as practicable after the institution of proceedings, and as soon as practicable after any change of address

So, having gone through all that, Tommeh wanted to make sure he could actually go to Tower Hamlets on his court-appointed day off from his conditions imposed due to his previous criminal activity, so he wasn't going to take a "No" from the Home Secretary lying down.

He took to the courts again and tried to challenge the Met and the Home Secretary on their decision to prevent a pack of drunk, violent loons from making GBS threads up a London borough.

It went as well as you'd expect and Tommeh whipped out the begging bowl to cover for the estimated £8,000 legal costs.

So, the end result was that the mighty EDL march through Tower Hamlets, right past the East London Mosque, wound up looking like this:

And this:

All of which led to this:

Unfortunately that's about the limit of the info I have about the Tower Hamlets/Aldgate demo. Aside from the rather horrid stories out there about the treatment of some anti fascists, very little else happened. Presumably because every pub and shop had closed their doors in preparation to the arrival of about 500 shitheads.

I can't think of a good way to end this post so I'll just end it.

e: Oh, except that Tommeh got arrested. Again. While on a day off from his bail conditions.

BBC

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 9, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've made this joke before, but - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Master Race.

I've heard a rumour about two counter-protest groups ending up fighting each other and getting arrested en masse (well there were only about 40 people involved) at Royal Mint Street (top end of Cable Street) but only a rumour, anyone else heard anything about this?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Depressingly, pretty sure I know the bloke on the left of that picture in the white shirt, or rather I did.

His missus dumped him about a year back and he went off the rails completely, deleted him from Facebook for liking the edl a while back and posting a load of 'I'm not racis, but..'

Tias
May 25, 2008

Stephen Christopher? His name isn't even Tommy Robinson or what?!

PROUD OF WHO I AM YOU GUYS! *leads lovely movement under assumed name*

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

KayTee posted:

Unfortunately that's about the limit of the info I have about the Tower Hamlets/Aldgate demo. Aside from the rather horrid stories out there about the treatment of some anti fascists, very little else happened. Presumably because every pub and shop had closed their doors in preparation to the arrival of about 500 shitheads.

Nearly every pub/bar in that area is closed at the weekends because of low demand, as none of the City suits are about then. I'm finding it amusing to think about all the EDL being annoyed that they can't even get pissed on their "protest".

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Why the gently caress do they insist on getting pissed at their "protests"? Do many other protest groups do this? Use their complaints as a pretense to go boozing in another random city?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

glitchkrieg posted:

Nearly every pub/bar in that area is closed at the weekends because of low demand, as none of the City suits are about then. I'm finding it amusing to think about all the EDL being annoyed that they can't even get pissed on their "protest".

Are you serious? I can't think of one that is, but maybe we hang around in different parts of Tower Hamlets!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PiCroft posted:

Why the gently caress do they insist on getting pissed at their "protests"? Do many other protest groups do this? Use their complaints as a pretense to go boozing in another random city?

Nothing gets you into a belligerent Anti-Muslamic Raygun lather like ten pints of lager.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Sri.Theo posted:

Are you serious? I can't think of one that is, but maybe we hang around in different parts of Tower Hamlets!

No the pubs in Tower Hamlets are open, but the EDL weren't allowed to go there and stayed in the city, where the pubs are mostly closed on Saturday & Sunday.

Also in other news Tommeh has apparently shown up at the 9/11 memorial in London today for a photo op, and displaced the victims families who were there. What a grade A oval office.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Sri.Theo posted:

What Our Glorious Leader said. I've studied/worked (not a suit!) around the area on and off and practically everything shuts down at the weekend, which is a royal pain if you're doing weekend work and need a sarnie/pint.

PiCroft posted:

Nearly every demo I've been on has involved getting pissed - after the actual protest though. You should have seen The Chandos after the Thatcher death party/protest in Trafalgar Square. Only time I've seen it worse than during Santacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Me and some of the old LF crowd once got directions to The Chandos off a member of TSG back in the day after bailing out of another Sam Smiths.

I bought Alex Hern (formerly of LF, now of the New Statesman) a pint for buying the most obscure Trot paper.

Good times.

• Locked thread