Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

For what it's worth on my team fee leagues this would never fly (the team would light you on fire) and sets a terrible precedent for when someone gets hurt.

"Well you gave the other guy his money back! I am missing games I want mine back too!"

40-50+ dollars isn't a small amount to some of the blue collar guys on the team and I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more than they have to to take care of themselves. You should make sure every team member is ok if you do this.

Along these lines, some dude in the roller hockey league outright accused the guy who ran it of stealing league money. The commish bought a sportcourt (and charged extra to try to pay for it) of the players. Well, as you imagine, sportcourt is loving expensive as poo poo and it had to be sold at the end of last season because $$$$.

Well, this Summer season rolled around, new guy is running the league and on a *league wide* email, some guy was like SOMETHING IS FISHY HERE when the new commish updated everyone the sportcourt was sold.

In summary, some people are *very* protective of every loving penny they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Ankle is doing well. I basically don't think about it anymore, which is good and bad. I probably need to work on strengthening it, but I just don't because it doesn't really bother me day to day. I think at this point, it's not stopping me from playing net.

What's really stopping me is lifestyle. My job/hours change month to month, so it's hard to a team to play with regularly and the shinny I usually tend for is outdoor and therefore winter only. I've been skating out twice a week and that's probably too much so it may be awhile/never before I find a goaltending spot that really works with my need for flexibility. Which is too bad, because I'd really like to get back to it.

It's good to hear that your ankle is doing better. The schedule sounds like the hard bit. It's easier to deal with an inconsistent schedule as a skater, since that's just next man up. Your best bet may be finding a group that organizes their own games at hours that work better with your schedule. It won't be quite the same as a league, but would still be more structured than open hockey. Being a goalie involves a lot of responsibility and there are times where I envy the flexibility and relative anonymity that skaters have.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 10, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
One of my hockey bros got into a bad motorcycle accident. Long story short, he won't be skating for 8 months, minimum. :smith:

At least he's alive.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

What would you guys do?

Guy pays league fees
Breaks foot before the season starts
Asks for a refund of his league fees

Our league chargers per team so its league fees/size of roster. So to refund him we need to find another player or charge everyone else more.

Look for a substitute. If you can't find a substitute then you ask everyone else to man up and pay for the extra ice time they're going to get from My Left Foot not being on the team anymore.

On the team I was on for years, everyone understood that the fee would ultimately fluctuate by plus or minus $30-$50 depending on how many guys we added/dropped through the majority of the season. poo poo. Come to think of it, my captain owes me $27 for last season.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

How many games is there for a league that costs $560? Also, I am genuinely surprised people's immediate response isn't "the guy broke his loving foot give him his money back". The league hasn't even started yet.

Gio fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 11, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
This is where draft leagues have an advantage. If a guy got hurt before the season here, someone would easily buy him out.
Really, that's what needs to happen with this guy, too. It sucks that he got hurt before the season, so I'd see if everyone is willing to pony up for the one-fewer skater. If not, ask him to find a replacement. The rink likely has a free agent list or a sub list with people that'd be willing to take his place. Rinks seem to run on the slim-est of margins so I'm not surprised they aren't refunding him ASAP.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Money is really tight for me this year with the baby and all, and my team is insisting on spending like $105 for a jersey. I might have to drop out, another 100+ is just something I can't afford. This would be the first full season of a beginner's league team. Everyone keeps saying "OH WELL YOU KNOW I'D RATHER SPEND FOR QUALITY FOR SOMETHING THAT'S GOING TO LAST...." gently caress that poo poo. I tried to tell them they're cheaper options and... well, we're a god drat beginners team, we don't need loving sewn on nameplates, huge rear end full color crests and poo poo with laces and a bunch of garbage.

edit: we already spent a hundred loving bucks on our 'home' jerseys and now they want to turn around and spend like crazy for a loving away jersey.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 11, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially since the team is probably going to lose every single game, a bunch of dudes will get discouraged, and leave the team at the end of the season.

But good thing they spent a bunch of money on a durable jersey!!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Gio posted:

How many games is there for a league that costs $560? Also, I am genuinely surprised people's immediate response isn't "the guy broke his loving foot give him his money back". The league hasn't even started yet.

My share of league fees for Sept - May is like, $430 for 22 games, I think. Plus playoffs.

E: we don't really even have matching jerseys, everyone just needs a gray and a black.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

If it's the standard 22-24 games that's pretty pricey, is what I'm saying. At least around here, I dunno.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's in California, and we need more ice (they're putting in two more pads soon), so yeah it's a little pricy.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I kinda thought that was the case but wasn't sure. When HZ said "that's it?!" to $569 I was taken aback for a sec.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I have a shot at getting into a league this fall.. but the games start between 9pm and 11pm on a Saturday. My Sunday skate can start as early as 7am (which means getting up around 5:30).

How much am I going to hate myself if I sign up for this? Will my legs fall off?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's hockey. You won't hate yourself. You'll be fine. Hockey owns. Play all of the hockey.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

Money is really tight for me this year with the baby and all, and my team is insisting on spending like $105 for a jersey. I might have to drop out, another 100+ is just something I can't afford. This would be the first full season of a beginner's league team. Everyone keeps saying "OH WELL YOU KNOW I'D RATHER SPEND FOR QUALITY FOR SOMETHING THAT'S GOING TO LAST...." gently caress that poo poo. I tried to tell them they're cheaper options and... well, we're a god drat beginners team, we don't need loving sewn on nameplates, huge rear end full color crests and poo poo with laces and a bunch of garbage.

edit: we already spent a hundred loving bucks on our 'home' jerseys and now they want to turn around and spend like crazy for a loving away jersey.

I had a team where we did this but it was part of a group that had multiple teams across multiple divisions at multiple rinks in the Denver area. This kept costs down and made it so my home and away jerseys with tackle-twill numbers and embroidered crest were $120 total ($60 each). We also gave people the option of just buying the two jerseys with heat press numbers and no crest for cost savings. This also wasn't a bunch of people that were complete beginners. In Austin we got sublimated fully customized with numbers, names, and logo for $70.

Fees Chat:
For the fall/winter league here it's $690 for 28 games and one guaranteed playoff game, so almost $24/game. Goalies were stuck with $390 for the season.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

So I have a shot at getting into a league this fall.. but the games start between 9pm and 11pm on a Saturday. My Sunday skate can start as early as 7am (which means getting up around 5:30).

How much am I going to hate myself if I sign up for this? Will my legs fall off?

Be prepared not to actually fall asleep until 1 or 2 am if you have a game at 11pm, at least this happens to me

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just drink until your 7am ice time then crash afterwards.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

lazerwolf posted:

Be prepared not to actually fall asleep until 1 or 2 am if you have a game at 11pm, at least this happens to me

Definitely this. 11:00 start means I get home at maybe 12:45 if things go fast. I'm lucky to be asleep by 2:30.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Butts posted:

The sewn on name plates are never a good idea. It's a beer league, rosters will inevitably change, and they'll regret that. I understand the urge to want to get really nice jerseys and honestly, ordering jerseys can be a confusing process. I went through that when I started my team. I started off looking at jerseys with sewn on numbers and crests for around $80 and finally settled on screen printed jerseys for $40. The jerseys have held up very well over the course of a few seasons and I'm glad that I went with a cheaper option.

The thing that really sucks is that I'm getting low on jerseys and need to place an order for more very soon. I only get the $40 price on orders of 12 or more. The jerseys we have are a combination of player owned and team owned and I'll probably have the new players that want jerseys pay for theirs and then pay for the rest myself and see if anyone else will chip in. The other option is to try and buy back jerseys from some former players, but that may not work since I need to stock up on some specific sizes (e.g. XL and XXL).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I already skate at 11pm on Thursdays, it's not a game though. Once I get home I fall asleep about the time my head hits the pillow.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why would you want $100 jerseys when you can instead have $10 jerseys and ninety dollars worth of beer or hockey sticks.

Someone explain

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Why would you want $100 jerseys when you can instead have $10 jerseys and ninety dollars worth of beer or hockey sticks.

Because if you can't be a pro, the next best thing is looking like one.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Tonight we're getting evaluated for AHA play. They are coming out and doing it for free for us, so that is cool.

Just not looking forward to some objective "Hey, you're terrible and here's proof" stuff :(

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Because if you can't be a pro, the next best thing is looking like one.

With custom wood sticks and skates!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's official, they're going with Jonco, and its going to cost $105 per jersey. Jesus loving christ. Script embroidered logo/text, sewn on names and numbers. I'm gonna have to tell them I can't play this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People sure get excited about the stupidest things.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
$105 is kind of a lot for a jersey, but not really that much in the grand scheme of things. Presumably you'll be wearing this for a few seasons, right? I mean poo poo, if you can afford to play hockey I have a hard time imagining why a hundred bucks is suddenly an unbearable amount of money.

Maybe feed your baby dog food for a while? (but don't really)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

It's official, they're going with Jonco, and its going to cost $105 per jersey. Jesus loving christ. Script embroidered logo/text, sewn on names and numbers. I'm gonna have to tell them I can't play this year.

My jersey was $13. Logo & number.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Our league is about $332 for 12 games + 3 or 4 playoff games. We also have 4 seasons a year so it's $1300 a year for hockey.

Typing that out makes me realize that holy poo poo it's a lot of money to play hockey, but goddamned I really, really enjoy it so I guess it's worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's either shell out $1300 to have fun and beer and get some exercise, or spend that $1300 on chips and beer and be a fat slob on the couch. I mean, it's not like you were going to be saving that money for anything serious.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
One league is $460 for 18 regular season games and 3 guaranteed playoff or consolation games. The other is $450 for 20 games and a 1 guaranteed playoff game. Both offer some sort of early bird discount, which can knock anywhere from $30-50 off of the listed feeds, and goalies get half off. It seems like the pricing structure changes every season, so sometimes I can get a full discount as the captain/goalie.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

canuckanese posted:

$105 is kind of a lot for a jersey, but not really that much in the grand scheme of things. Presumably you'll be wearing this for a few seasons, right? I mean poo poo, if you can afford to play hockey I have a hard time imagining why a hundred bucks is suddenly an unbearable amount of money.

Yikes. My favorite jerseys are the $10 specials from CCM. Practice jerseys, thin, light, breathable. I've never had a team threaten to get rid of me for not getting a jersey and I just flat out refuse. I'll buy one in your pattern if you must but it's not getting any of that other poo poo on it. Too bad.

The other benefit to not having names at all, especially sewen on, is that guys can leave the team and "sell back" their jersey for cheap and then the new guys don't have to go through the hassle of buying one for maybe just 1-2 seasons.

For a lot of guys on my teams they are hourly and the threat of losing jobs / being underemployed / not making hours along with no insurance make every dollar count. There are so many choices for jerseys.

I'm with bewbies, excess money should go to things that affect play like sticks and booze.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I think if anyone is going to go nuts about buying expensive jerseys with names and all it's going to be a beginner team right out of LTP school destined to break up after a single season. Unfortunately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Bronze league looks better than most NHL teams. Go up to Silver and most of them are just a rag tag collection of random old jerseys.

That said, nice jerseys are cool.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

canuckanese posted:

Maybe feed your baby dog food for a while? (but don't really)

In my league, it's asinine to spend $100 on a jersey because you've no guarantee you'll be on the same team next season. We have a draft, the captains can only "protect" so many players. So spending much more than 30-40 or so is idiotic. My team got a great deal last season on knit jerseys and so it was only 40$ for a good jersey. Not those cheap practice jerseys that most teams use (understandably).

What I'm saying here is that $100+ for a jersey only makes sense if you're gonna spend a few seasons with a team, and/or maybe go to a bunch of travel tournaments with them. Other than that it's beer league guys.

You can usually get some cheap jerseys with screen printed logos and numbers for <20.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite jersey so far is the easton practice ones. They breathe super nice, and also do a good job cleaning my glasses. It just seems to soak up water like it's nothing.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Here are two of my favorite jerseys we usually wear.

Militia - inspired by Minnesota Wild's third jersey

Wesley Snipers

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Can't you just...y'know...not buy a jersey? You can wear either a white or black dealio depending on which ridiculous outfit your team decides to sport for a given game.

Hole-filled socks + A black jersey + your number in white stick tape == awesome hockey player.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Hole-filled socks + A black jersey + your number in white stick tape == awesome hockey player.

Everyone on the bench pulls out the "you look like a garbage dump" quip they've been saving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Dangerllama posted:

Can't you just...y'know...not buy a jersey? You can wear either a white or black dealio depending on which ridiculous outfit your team decides to sport for a given game.

That's how I roll. Been wearing the same socks for seven years straight. Every team I have played on has been a completely random assortment of dark or light colored jerseys depending on what the other team is wearing, and I wouldn't have it any other way.