Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thwomp posted:

Even though I was into comics for a long time, I still get confused that there are three Captain Marvels: 1) the original Captain Mar-Vell and his subsequent successors who received the later title of Captain Marvel, 2) Captain Marvel of DC (Bill Batson with the power of SHAZAM! and now known in DC as Shazam), and 3) Ms. Marvel who was originally separate from Captain Mar-vell but is now the actual Captain Marvel.

gently caress.

You forgot the most famous Captain Marvel of them all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Marvel has surprisingly moved Ant-Man's release date up from November 2015 to July 31st 2015. This stops it from being in direct competition with the new Bond and I think it shows that this movie is finally moving along and that Marvel has some faith in it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=86749

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dacap posted:

Marvel has surprisingly moved Ant-Man's release date up from November 2015 to July 31st 2015. This stops it from being in direct competition with the new Bond and I think it shows that this movie is finally moving along and that Marvel has some faith in it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=86749

That's two weeks after Superman/Batman.

Marvel sure has a lot of faith in the movie.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
They also may not be worried about a superhero movie being rushed through development that has already alienated a bunch of fans by casting Affleck.

It's a gamble, but WB has a history of making mostly bad superhero movies. Marvel's betting on WB falling on its face again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

That's two weeks after Superman/Batman.

Marvel sure has a lot of faith in the movie.

Two weeks might be enough but maybe this is a lower budget film with lower expectations?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The Action Man posted:

It's a gamble, but WB has a history of making mostly bad superhero movies. Marvel's betting on WB falling on its face again.

Plus you can gamble on DC being incompetent straight to the bank.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Whizbang posted:

Plus you can gamble on DC being incompetent straight to the bank.

I worked a Temp job at a Time Warner office in NYC the summer that Jonah Hex came out. The entire office had free passes to go see Jonah Hex, and even at the price of nothing, it was too much for people who worked for the company that made the drat film.

With that anecdote in mind, I agree with Marvel/Disney's move.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Action Man posted:

I worked a Temp job at a Time Warner office in NYC the summer that Jonah Hex came out. The entire office had free passes to go see Jonah Hex, and even at the price of nothing, it was too much for people who worked for the company that made the drat film.

With that anecdote in mind, I agree with Marvel/Disney's move.

I'll say this for Jonah Hex: It was a very short movie. Incredibly short - run time of 81 minutes, credits included.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think we can compare something like Jonah Hex to a Batman/Superman crossover, particular when its predecessor actually did pretty well.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think we can compare something like Jonah Hex to a Batman/Superman crossover, particular when its predecessor actually did pretty well.

On second thought, I think a more accurate comparison would be Iron Man 2. I predict that it will be a middling to terrible sequel based on rushing it into/through production in order to reach a release date scheduled in advance of casting and completing the script.

However, WB has so many awful DC movies under their belt that I think we need to really appreciate how badly they can gently caress up a project. After all, they didn't reboot the Batman franchise for the sake of fun.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Like, I'm all for making GBS threads on WB/DC as much as possible myself these days, but if you guys think that the same nerds buttsploding about Affleck's casting won't be the first ones in line for midnight showings after they see the new costume and trailers and carefully-cultivated promotion, you're severely underestimating nerd culture. Batman the character still has a lot of goodwill left from Nolan's work. Emo gloomy property-damager Superman seems to have captured the attention of many demographics who go for that sort of thing.

The film may yet end up being incredibly lovely, that is true, but the hype is going to be huge, easily-rivaling any of Marvel's recent releases.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

Like, I'm all for making GBS threads on WB/DC as much as possible myself these days, but if you guys think that the same nerds buttsploding about Affleck's casting won't be the first ones in line for midnight showings after they see the new costume and trailers and carefully-cultivated promotion, you're severely underestimating nerd culture. Batman the character still has a lot of goodwill left from Nolan's work. Emo gloomy property-damager Superman seems to have captured the attention of many demographics who go for that sort of thing.

The film may yet end up being incredibly lovely, that is true, but the hype is going to be huge, easily-rivaling any of Marvel's recent releases.

I dunno. The Hype for Avengers was pretty drat high. This might reach Ironman 2 Hype. But the build up to the Avengers was crazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BrianWilly posted:

It could preform like Man of Steel did (strong opening weekend, but not much in the way of legs). Really depends ultimately on what the product turns out to be.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Gatts posted:

Two weeks might be enough but maybe this is a lower budget film with lower expectations?

If I recall right, that was actually what Wright talked about when it was first announced a couple years back. He said it wouldn't be terribly expensive, which I think was a big point at the time for Marvel to say "sure, go ahead!" since this was before they had that sweet sweet Disney money. Checking, Scott Pilgrim was his most expensive movie at $90 million, while the cheapest Marvel movies are $140 million, which are Thor and Captain America.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Say what you will, but as critically dubious as DC's output is, their movies are a thousand times more watchable than the vanilla crap Marvel photocopies every year.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

scary ghost dog posted:

Say what you will, but as critically dubious as DC's output is, their movies are a thousand times more watchable than the vanilla crap Marvel photocopies every year.

So how does it feel to be the one person who liked Green Lantern?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

Green Lantern was interesting from a "why is this bad" standpoint. It wasn't really what I'd call "more watchable" but it is certainly more memorable than a lot of Marvel stuff.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

Iron Man 3 addressed pretty much every complaint I had with the first wave of Marvel movies: It had actual character growth and a satisfying conclusion, it had Shane Black's fingerprints all over it instead of being toned-down and generic, there was almost no Avengers bullshit and you didn't need to see the other movies to follow it but at the same time it was a logical continuation of the events of The Avengers and it remembered that a wormhole opening over New York was a thing that happened and would probably rock peoples' poo poo. Not to mention actively addressing the uncomfortable politics of the previous movies.

I'm looking forward to see if Phase 2 continues that streak. Now that they've laid the groundwork and audiences have shown that they're more than willing to roll with the fantastic elements they've thrown out they have a little more wiggle room.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

Green Lantern was interesting from a "why is this bad" standpoint. It wasn't really what I'd call "more watchable" but it is certainly more memorable than a lot of Marvel stuff.

Maybe from a dissection standpoint. From an actual entertainment "I'm enjoying the story being presented on screen" standpoint I've enjoyed Marvel's lesser works far more than Green Lantern--and I saw Green Lantern for free so my standard was pretty low for that one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Iron Man 3 addressed pretty much every complaint I had with the first wave of Marvel movies: It had actual character growth and a satisfying conclusion, it had Shane Black's fingerprints all over it instead of being toned-down and generic, there was almost no Avengers bullshit and you didn't need to see the other movies to follow it but at the same time it was a logical continuation of the events of The Avengers and it remembered that a wormhole opening over New York was a thing that happened and would probably rock peoples' poo poo. Not to mention actively addressing the uncomfortable politics of the previous movies.

I'm looking forward to see if Phase 2 continues that streak. Now that they've laid the groundwork and audiences have shown that they're more than willing to roll with the fantastic elements they've thrown out they have a little more wiggle room.

Both upcoming Thor and Captain America sequels seems to be addressing how the events of Avengers and the protagonists' own movies affect the character and the world around them, from what I read so far. Thor 2 will have Asgard be the target of foreign attacks after they are weakened by the destruction of the Bifrost, and develop the relationship between Thor and Loki further. Captain America 2's plot will show Steve Rogers dealing with how much the world changed since WW2, and suggests he might have to deal with an enemy on the inside.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Captain America 2's plot will show Steve Rogers dealing with how much the world changed since WW2, and suggests he might have to deal with an enemy on the inside.

Suggests? The title of the goddamn movie is The Winter Soldier. You only need the most cursory knowledge of recent Captain America to know what the plot is going to be.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Green Lantern is crap pretty much because it's trying to be a Marvel movie and failing.

And talk about cherry picking. You know which films he's talking about when he says that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Suggests? The title of the goddamn movie is The Winter Soldier. You only need the most cursory knowledge of recent Captain America to know what the plot is going to be.

I have to admit I don't know much about recent Captain America storylines (specifically after his resurrection and Secret Avengers). I just base this on Robert Redford saying that his character is a villain while also being Nick Fury's boss, as well as Steve and Natasha reportedly having issues with SHIELD leadership. It might have started with Steve finding all those Hydra tech on the Helicarrier.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Wasn't the Winter Soldier a Russian agent though? Like, that was why he was called the Winter Soldier, right?

I legitimately don't remember. Of all the super major Marvel characters Captain America I know the least about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WickedHate posted:

Wasn't the Winter Soldier a Russian agent though? Like, that was why he was called the Winter Soldier, right?

I legitimately don't remember. Of all the super major Marvel characters Captain America I know the least about.

Spoiling this because it's THE SPOILER for the comic arc and most likely the movie. When Bucky 'died' he ended up being frozen too. The Russians thawed him out, brainwashed him into a super black ops assassin, and gave him a robot arm. He's the Winter Soldier.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Joe Don Baker posted:

Spoiling this because it's THE SPOILER for the comic arc and most likely the movie. When Bucky 'died' he ended up being frozen too. The Russians thawed him out, brainwashed him into a super black ops assassin, and gave him a robot arm. He's the Winter Soldier.

I knew that much, but I wasn't sure if the Russians were involved because last I read about it was years ago and I have a really bad memory.

So why does The Winter Soldier title imply he deals with "an enemy on the inside"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They may be borrowing from another comic arc involving SHIELD that also ties in to some of the Cap stuff.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Green Lantern is crap pretty much because it's trying to be a Marvel movie and failing.

And talk about cherry picking. You know which films he's talking about when he says that.

Honestly, I don't. The Batman movies aren't "critically dubious" as he put it, so poo poo like Green Lantern is the only stuff I can think of. Please feel free to name other movies, and maybe point out how them sucking was indirectly Marvel's fault too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

So why does The Winter Soldier title imply he deals with "an enemy on the inside"?

My guess is a super obvious "Robert Redford is the mastermind" reveal.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Honestly, I don't. The Batman movies aren't "critically dubious" as he put it, so poo poo like Green Lantern is the only stuff I can think of. Please feel free to name other movies, and maybe point out how them sucking was indirectly Marvel's fault too.

Mostly I'm talking about how Man Of Steel was more engaging than The Avengers despite lacking punchy dialogue. Going down the line, though, you can put any Marvel movie bar Spider-Mans up next to any DC movie and I'll probably prefer the DC movies. Marvel's output lately has just been bland and inoffensive, taking no risks. I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You do know that literally everything you said is in "that's just like, your opinion man" territory right? I found Man of Steel interminable and boring in many parts and I've got a Superman tattoo on my back--I was looking for reasons to forgive--while the Avengers kept me thrilled based on novelty alone (yet still held up on a rewatch).

So as long as we're going with opinions...

Part of what I found lovely and refreshing about Marvel Phase I was that after a decade of movie studio politics and producers/directors messing with fairly straightforward adaptations of characters--

Sony and Fox from 2000-2009 posted:

Cyclops isn't an important part of the X-Men. Sure shoving the symbiote and Venom into the Goblin/Sandman plot is a wise choice. Dr. Doom and Galactus are cheesy so gently caress them. Let's use the Elektra revenge plot for the origin story of Daredevil because it's well-known. The fans will love it when we remove Deadpool's ability to speak.

--we finally had Marvel saying "Back the gently caress off and quit trying to reinvent the loving wheel. We have repackaged and resold these dudes to the same audience for half a century. loving trust that we know the direction to go in."

So we had four major character presented in a no-bullshit no-frills straightforward cinematic adaptation. Was it bland and vanilla in many parts? Absolutely. Iron Man 2 had a messy script, and Captain America was essentially bungled despite having the best first half out of any of the Phase I movies. The Hulk and Thor are featherweight features of plain escapism. Iron Man has a super weak villain. The Avengers teasers can be distracting, especially if you're somehow retarded and forgot that you're watching a serial feature and not a complete standalone feature.

I don't know of anyone who is propping any Phase I movies up as cinematic triumphs. What they are are adaptation triumphs. They are proof that you can translate the characters without sticking your dick in the concept and still find an audience. A substantial one it turns out.

But no. Because it's not "risky" suddenly that means it's unengaging. Because it doesn't obviously fall on its face or have aspirations to be more than "just" a superhero feature it's bland. It's vanilla. Do you know what the thing about vanilla is though? Vanilla is loving delicious and a strong foundation to branch off into a huge variety of flavors. Iron Man 3 is proof that--conscious or not--there is an evolving style to the Marvel movies and gives a promising hint that Phase One was about foundation--Phase Two will be more about style.

Now granted, if Phase Two doesn't start to bring out some more evolved qualities in the storytelling and cinematic flourish then I'll be right there with critics saying that Marvel Studios needs to stop focusing on quantity of sequels/characters and focus on quality more. Even so they've already proven themselves more than capable of the WB's best efforts when it comes to presenting a cohesive whole, and I'll take their worst over dour pretension like Man of Steel or the Nolan Bat-flicks any day.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

You do know that literally everything you said is in "that's just like, your opinion man" territory right? I found Man of Steel interminable and boring in many parts and I've got a Superman tattoo on my back--I was looking for reasons to forgive--while the Avengers kept me thrilled based on novelty alone (yet still held up on a rewatch).

So as long as we're going with opinions...

Part of what I found lovely and refreshing about Marvel Phase I was that after a decade of movie studio politics and producers/directors messing with fairly straightforward adaptations of characters--

--we finally had Marvel saying "Back the gently caress off and quit trying to reinvent the loving wheel. We have repackaged and resold these dudes to the same audience for half a century. loving trust that we know the direction to go in."

So we had four major character presented in a no-bullshit no-frills straightforward cinematic adaptation. Was it bland and vanilla in many parts? Absolutely. Iron Man 2 had a messy script, and Captain America was essentially bungled despite having the best first half out of any of the Phase I movies. The Hulk and Thor are featherweight features of plain escapism. Iron Man has a super weak villain. The Avengers teasers can be distracting, especially if you're somehow retarded and forgot that you're watching a serial feature and not a complete standalone feature.

I don't know of anyone who is propping any Phase I movies up as cinematic triumphs. What they are are adaptation triumphs. They are proof that you can translate the characters without sticking your dick in the concept and still find an audience. A substantial one it turns out.

But no. Because it's not "risky" suddenly that means it's unengaging. Because it doesn't obviously fall on its face or have aspirations to be more than "just" a superhero feature it's bland. It's vanilla. Do you know what the thing about vanilla is though? Vanilla is loving delicious and a strong foundation to branch off into a huge variety of flavors. Iron Man 3 is proof that--conscious or not--there is an evolving style to the Marvel movies and gives a promising hint that Phase One was about foundation--Phase Two will be more about style.

Now granted, if Phase Two doesn't start to bring out some more evolved qualities in the storytelling and cinematic flourish then I'll be right there with critics saying that Marvel Studios needs to stop focusing on quantity of sequels/characters and focus on quality more. Even so they've already proven themselves more than capable of the WB's best efforts when it comes to presenting a cohesive whole, and I'll take their worst over dour pretension like Man of Steel or the Nolan Bat-flicks any day.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. As far as I'm concerned the worst film that's interesting to watch for myriad reasons (The Last Airbender) is better than an aesthetically fine, well written slab of concrete (The Avengers.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man. As far as I'm concerned the worst film that's interesting to watch for myriad reasons (The Last Airbender) is better than an aesthetically fine, well written slab of concrete (The Avengers.)

Same basic logic I always use. An interesting failure is better than a predictable, by the numbers affair to me.

I also agree with the earlier statement that Green Lantern's biggest problem is that it follows the Marvel template as compared to making something truly different. The Marvel template being essentially the same approach taken for the DTV marvel cartoons (as compared to the DC stuff adapting things like All Star and DKR that are based off Elsworlds that take more liberties).

And, yeah, I liked Iron Man 3 and am looking forward to Ant Man.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

This is the big reason I would absolutely love to see Marvel get their hands on the X-Men films. I'd love to see a more comic-accurate version on the big screen rather than the franchise we have that always seems to be a bit embarrassed by its own content.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

Going down the line, though, you can put any Marvel movie bar Spider-Mans up next to any DC movie and I'll probably prefer the DC movies.

Conversely, I prefer all of Marvel's movies to any of DC's movies. Batman Begins is the only one I've enjoyed out of the ones I've watched, but I'd rather watch Iron Man 1 instead of that nowadays.

DFu4ever posted:

This is the big reason I would absolutely love to see Marvel get their hands on the X-Men films. I'd love to see a more comic-accurate version on the big screen rather than the franchise we have that always seems to be a bit embarrassed by its own content.

What I'd love is a live-action X-Men TV series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Conversely, I prefer all of Marvel's movies to any of DC's movies. Batman Begins is the only one I've enjoyed out of the ones I've watched, but I'd rather watch Iron Man 1 instead of that nowadays.

I don't understand statements like that. Rewatchability for me is plot nuance, cinematography, score...all of which Batman Begins has more of. What is there to draw from or revisit on Iron Man 1 in subsequent viewings that overrides it being dully shot, the most un-memorable score in a big superhero film (literally, I can't remember a single thing of it, while I can at least kind of remember small bits from Thor, kinda), etc.?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
People bitched about the constant dutch angles in Thor, but at least that was something memorable.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DFu4ever posted:

Marvel has yet to make a movie as good as X2, so I'll hold off on wanting to see them take the X-Men back. Especially because Days of Future Past is shaping up to be pretty drat good.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

CPFortest posted:

People bitched about the constant dutch angles in Thor, but at least that was something memorable.

I loved the dutch angles in Thor. poo poo was hilarious!

"Nothing is happening in this scene, better film it sideways!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

Marvel has yet to make a movie as good as X2, so I'll hold off on wanting to see them take the X-Men back. Especially because Days of Future Past is shaping up to be pretty drat good.

Although it has aged better than the first X-Men, I still think Thor, IM 3, and Avengers are superior films.

• Locked thread