Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Sorry Audi, while I appreciate your fascination wih V8s, anything but a turbo I5 in a car called Sport Quattro is insulting to your own heritage.

It's a concept car, why not put a ridiculous engine in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

MrChips posted:

Sorry Audi, while I appreciate your fascination wih V8s, anything but a turbo I5 in a car called Sport Quattro is insulting to your own heritage.

Here, Here. I get that it's a concept, but the original concept from 2010 was something so much more desirable and attainable. This 4,000+ lb., 800 hp, limited to 200 or so units concept might as well have been a totally different car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The could have put a ridiculous I5 in it :mad:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Concept but I think it looks sweet. Seems catered to ladies.

Infiniti Q30

EDIT: gently caress, tables!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Concept but I think it looks sweet. Seems catered to ladies.

Infiniti Q30

EDIT: gently caress, tables!

I'm sure they look completely different, but I get a strong Mazda 3 vibe from it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Or Toyota Venza, or name any tall station wagon/CUV thing of the past 3 years. The naming scheme of Infiniti is now so thoroughly :wtf: that I can't even be bothered to guess what vague melted jellybean shaped creation I see driving around might be. Is it a G37? A Q50? A JXZ75? :iiam:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Back in my day, kids sitting in the back seat of a car could still see out the window :argh:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Back in my day, kids sitting in the back seat of a car could still see out the window :argh:

Why would they need to look out the window when they're balls deep in an ipad/movie on a headrest/nintendo thing, etc...? I don't think kids these days can go more than a few minutes without some form of electric entertainment, so not being able to see outside is just one less thing distracting them!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

They get TVs now so they don't care

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

The could have put a ridiculous I5 in it :mad:

They already have a ridiculous I5 in production in the TT-RS, but that car costs considerably less than where they've targeted the concept, so it's got to have a bigger motor to appease its buyers.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Simkin posted:

Or Toyota Venza, or name any tall station wagon/CUV thing of the past 3 years. The naming scheme of Infiniti is now so thoroughly :wtf: that I can't even be bothered to guess what vague melted jellybean shaped creation I see driving around might be. Is it a G37? A Q50? A JXZ75? :iiam:

Shouldn't the concept pictured above be a QX30 instead of just a Q? So confused

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Did anyone play Marathon on Mac back in the day because between the background and the car I'm getting that vibe so hard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryhampster posted:

Shouldn't the concept pictured above be a QX30 instead of just a Q? So confused

I'm pretty sure it's just a hatchback. There's a picture where there's a model standing next to one, and even if she's like 6'6" you can see how short it is.

Found it:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Wamsutta posted:

Did anyone play Marathon on Mac back in the day because between the background and the car I'm getting that vibe so hard.

It's the walls; the mesh upper and steel plate lowers almost perfectly match the textures used for walls in engineering decks of the Marathon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The King of Swag posted:

It's the walls; the mesh upper and steel plate lowers almost perfectly match the textures used for walls in engineering decks of the Marathon.

Holy poo poo, how did I not notice your avatar/title before?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Edmunds compared the 991 911 to the C7 Corvette:
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2013/comparison-test.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So they admit the Stingray handles better, is marginally slower in a straight line, and has a much improved interior, albeit not nearly as nice as the 911 with its superior German adhesives that don't smell like chemicals (seriously).

It's also half the cost of the 911. Yet they award the victory to the 911. Man, the "Gotta Have It" factor of that pussy magnet must be off the charts.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

fknlo posted:

Why would they need to look out the window when they're balls deep in an ipad/movie on a headrest/nintendo thing, etc...?
I'm glad I'm not a kid today. I get motion sick as a passenger in a car if I try to read or do anything other than stare out the windshield.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And, for that matter, why get so attached to a specific type of engine? I've got a 2011 Mustang V6, and I've had people tell me I was a fool to not buy an earlier-model V8 (the 5.0 wasn't an option because of cost), despite the fact that the new V6 is very nearly as powerful, and much more fuel efficient. Engine tech is developing pretty rapidly, so it's really quite silly to not explore all the possible options when designing a new car, or to ignore a good engine for historical reasons. Doubly so with concept cars.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Midniter posted:

So they admit the Stingray handles better, is marginally slower in a straight line, and has a much improved interior, albeit not nearly as nice as the 911 with its superior German adhesives that don't smell like chemicals (seriously).

It's also half the cost of the 911. Yet they award the victory to the 911. Man, the "Gotta Have It" factor of that pussy magnet must be off the charts.

To be fair, I feel most people would also rather have the 911.

Definitely wins the price/performance battle though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The v6 used to be terrible I understand people still thinking it's truly a dog rather than a nice engine in its own right

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 11, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

quote:

Equipped with $47,000 in add-ons

I'd like to see a graph measuring cost of options compared to base cost of 911s over time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I love 911's and I'd take the Vette over anything that wasn't a GT3 in all honesty. They just cost so much for what you're actually getting.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I love 911's and I'd take the Vette over anything that wasn't a GT3 in all honesty. They just cost so much for what you're actually getting.

Agreed. I've never liked the look of Corvettes before, but goddamn this new one is sexy, and it's got the interior and handling to back up the performance as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress no, gimme the Corvette!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Who says you can't have both?

In all honesty, the 911 vs. Corvette debate has been closer than it ever has been, and that can only be considered a good thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a hatchback. There's a picture where there's a model standing next to one, and even if she's like 6'6" you can see how short it is.

Found it:

It's basically the new EX35. Looks like a small CUV but is actually classified as a hatchback.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

blk posted:

I'd like to see a graph measuring cost of options compared to base cost of 911s over time.

The best part is that that's a lightly equipped Porsche too. I'm sure you could easily push that to 200k+ with the right 'options.' Ludicrous that it's not taken into any real account when comparing it to the new Corvette. I've never been a fan of the Corvette before, but this new model really has my attention.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MrChips posted:

Who says you can't have both?

In all honesty, the 911 vs. Corvette debate has been closer than it ever has been, and that can only be considered a good thing.

The only comparable time would be like 1963-1971, when the Corvette weighed about 3,200lbs and could be had with fully independent suspension, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, limited slip differential, fuel injection, lightweight aluminum wheels, aluminum cylinder heads and engines up to 435 horespower (500+ if you count the hilarious/stupid L88 and ZL1.)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

The only comparable time would be like 1963-1971, when the Corvette weighed about 3,200lbs and could be had with fully independent suspension, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, limited slip differential, fuel injection, lightweight aluminum wheels, aluminum cylinder heads and engines up to 435 horespower (500+ if you count the hilarious/stupid L88 and ZL1.)

All Corvette's since the C4 have been comparable (if not better) to the 911 in terms of handling/braking performance, although you could make the case that until the ZR1 was revived the turbo versions of the 911 had it soundly beat in terms of power.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy just announced the specs for the 6.2 liter in the half tons, it will be 420hp, 460ft/lbs, but only available in the highest level trims.

In other news, get ready to share the road with these.....things.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

GM can't design a vehicle worth poo poo. :suicide:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yikes. Normally I think the GMC version of their SUV clones look better but the Chevy version looks miles better this generation. What the gently caress is up with those "eyelash" extensions in the headlamps??

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Yikes. Normally I think the GMC version of their SUV clones look better but the Chevy version looks miles better this generation. What the gently caress is up with those "eyelash" extensions in the headlamps??

It doesn't look quite as bad in live pictures:

Just another super huge vehicle with one person in it that I won't be able to see around in parking lots or on the road :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

It doesn't look quite as bad in live pictures:

Just another super huge vehicle with one person in it that I won't be able to see around in parking lots or on the road :v:

Doesn't look quite as bad when the glare off the 3 acres of chrome obscures your view of it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Local dealership has this on the lot for $72,000, 2013 1500 Cargo Van 5.3 v8 4spd. Every time I drive by it makes me think the 80's Van craze is trying to make a comeback. Honestly, I kind of like it, it's got a weird presence when you see it in person.

Photo is from the dealers page for it, you'd think they'd take better pictures of it.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Pretty sure those are the same wheels I have on my CTS-V. :aaaaa:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bajaha posted:

Local dealership has this on the lot for $72,000, 2013 1500 Cargo Van 5.3 v8 4spd. Every time I drive by it makes me think the 80's Van craze is trying to make a comeback. Honestly, I kind of like it, it's got a weird presence when you see it in person.

Photo is from the dealers page for it, you'd think they'd take better pictures of it.

If you told me that was a twenty-year-old van in good condition, I wouldn't question it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Chevy just announced the specs for the 6.2 liter in the half tons, it will be 420hp, 460ft/lbs, but only available in the highest level trims.

In other news, get ready to share the road with these.....things.

So while every single competitor(Expedition, Armada, Sequoia, RR, QX) now has independent rear suspension, GM has not only kept the live axle but also gone back to leaf springs.

No level folding seats and now with less interior room than the last gen. Towing is still less than the Expedition and about on par with the Armada. These things start out really cheap right?

quote:

With more than 117,000 sold in 2012 and sales up more than 16 percent for the first six months of 2013 over last year. Chevrolet's full-size SUVs continue to play an important role in the brand's success and General Motors' profitability. Introduced in 1935, the Suburban is the segment's founder and the industry's oldest continuously available nameplate, while Tahoe is the segment's sales leader.

Combined Yukon/Yukon XL and Denali sales were up 24 percent for the eight months of 2013.

:stonk: They're going to sell 250,000 of these per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

The Midniter posted:

... albeit not nearly as nice as the 911 with its superior German adhesives that don't smell like chemicals (seriously).

Is that you Benji?