Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Naf posted:

I'm boycotting this game unless I have at least 7 gender identity/sexuality choices on character creation.

A Saints Row style character customiser would be kind of awesome...

Especially if there's a Nolan North voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Isizzlehorn posted:

This is finally coming out, eh?

Welp, guess I gotta go and finally finish DA2.

Le SIGH.

Or just use that website they're developing so people can make story choices without playing Origins or DA2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

edit: I've read Origin is also doing full price refunds for games now, so there's that...

Isizzlehorn posted:

This is finally coming out, eh?

Welp, guess I gotta go and finally finish DA2.

Le SIGH.

Technically you don't have to. They're making an official save-import generator called the Keep so you can decide start points for the game because it's moving to new consoles. Sure it won't be as in-depth as actually playing the game and some stuff probably won't be covered (which I've heard was the case for ME3's version of the same thing) but, really, what about the end state of DA2 can be imported that would really matter?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lotish posted:

what about the end state of DA2 can be imported that would really matter?

"Did you hear what happened in Kirkwall? How this whole civil war got started?"

"I 'eard it was the Champion, a <INSERT CHARACTER CLASS HERE>, who started the whole thing!"

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
This game looks surprisingly impressive coming from the team that hosed up DA2 so badly but I'm wondering how much of that is just show gameplay for the previews. Obviously it's beautiful but that is really just Frostbite 3 since the characters look kinda crap and the animations are super stiff.

I don't really have any high expectations so things can only get better, but I think that's what I thought about DA2 after all the pre-release stuff.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
If this is yet another one of those Bioware games which generates a bunch of hilarious avatars, I will be just peachy.

P.S. I am not talking about the gently caress-off creepy avs the Mass Effect threads created.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I'm quite excited for this. There wasn't a single problem DA2 had that couldn't be resolved by more development time, as it was shoved out about as quickly as possible. With the several years this has had, I think it will be fine.

KoB
May 1, 2009
That Dragon Age Keep thing should be in the OP.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Has Bioware actually learned how to model convincing looking weapons, as opposed to something a medieval LARPer would be wielding around a renfair?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Alouicious posted:

Has Bioware actually learned how to model convincing looking weapons, as opposed to something a medieval LARPer would be wielding around a renfair?

The lower tier equipment traditionally tended towards more authentic in DAO and DA2. Sadly the top-end stuff, some of which are actually things like Lyrium Etched Dragon Bones infused with blood magic runes, look pretty much as fantastic as you expect. I don't expect that to change but it'd be nice if there were more modest-looking options for high level characters.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KoB posted:

It already is.

Lotish posted:

edit: I've read Origin is also doing full price refunds for games now, so there's that...

Technically you don't have to. They're making an official save-import generator called the Keep so you can decide start points for the game because it's moving to new consoles. Sure it won't be as in-depth as actually playing the game and some stuff probably won't be covered (which I've heard was the case for ME3's version of the same thing) but, really, what about the end state of DA2 can be imported that would really matter?

End state of DA2: did you become Viscount or run away, and did you kill Anders or not. If you didn't kill Anders, then WHY NOT?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

The lower tier equipment traditionally tended towards more authentic in DAO and DA2. Sadly the top-end stuff, some of which are actually things like Lyrium Etched Dragon Bones infused with blood magic runes, look pretty much as fantastic as you expect. I don't expect that to change but it'd be nice if there were more modest-looking options for high level characters.

Even the lower-tier stuff looks pretty stupid usually, mostly due to horrible modelling that makes everything WAY too huge and none of the swords actually look sharp. Everything looks like it's made of Styrofoam.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alouicious posted:

Even the lower-tier stuff looks pretty stupid usually, mostly due to horrible modelling that makes everything WAY too huge and none of the swords actually look sharp. Everything looks like it's made of Styrofoam.

I'm fairly sure, at least in Dragon Age: Origins, that was motivated by the need to make the weapons readable even when you were using the top-down camera.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I'd be happy with a second two-handed sword model. It felt like I used the exact same one through the entirety of Origins and Awakenings.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'd be happy with a second two-handed sword model. It felt like I used the exact same one through the entirety of Origins and Awakenings.

Butterfly sword was the best.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Doh004 posted:

Dragon Age 2, ladies and gentlemen.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Dr. Platypus posted:

There were a few varations, but they didn't deviate much from the long-blade, funny-looking hilt variety. Well, except for the butterfly sword :buddy:

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Doh004 posted:

It's a sigh. What the gently caress else would it be?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Or just use that website they're developing so people can make story choices without playing Origins or DA2.

This is a much needed resource, can we be sure to put that in the OP once it finishes?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leelee posted:

KoB posted:

It already is.

Quoting the OP, he already linked to the save generator.

Perhaps we can have weapons that don't magically hang several inches away from your body in the air. That would be nice.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 11, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Internet Kraken posted:

I just noticed captain mustache casually freaking out in the background.

Obviously that's his beer you just knocked over.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leelee posted:

End state of DA2: did you become Viscount or run away, and did you kill Anders or not. If you didn't kill Anders, then WHY NOT?

Because it's either lose your mage or lose some dumb bland rear end in a top hat who came in DLC.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because it's either lose your mage or lose some dumb bland rear end in a top hat who came in DLC.

Or in the case of those who didnt have the DLC, lose nothing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh, it's not like Anders was really all that useful. His special ability ensured that he was always locked out of half his spells at any given moment on top of the already severe nerfing that healing spells labored under in DAII (something I seriously hope gets undone for Inquisition where it'll be more vital than ever to heal).

Sebastian, while bland and mostly redundant to the much more interesting Varric, is guy who didn't just trick you into bombing a church to spark a holy war that placed the people he claims to represent under extermination order.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 12, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Eh, it's not like Anders was really all that useful. His special ability ensured that he was always locked out of half his spells at any given moment on top of the already severe nerfing that healing spells labored under in DAII (something I seriously hope gets undone for Inquisition where it'll be more vital than ever to heal).

Sebastian, while bland and mostly redundant to the much more interesting Varric, is guy who didn't just trick you into bombing a church to spark a holy war that placed the people he claims to represent under extermination order.

He was my only spec'd healer and I didn't want to have to build that poo poo again with giggle squee or myself. Sure I could maybe get through it but I dont want to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Didn't see anyone else post this interview. Particular points I thought the thread might be interested in:

quote:

RPS: Locations look nicely expansive and rife with side paths, but are you considering this an open world?

Laidlaw: “Open world” I think is a really loaded term, because everyone immediately thinks of Skyrim and assumes everything will be exactly like Skyrim. In our case, there are extremely large regions you can explore. It’s a multi-region game, which means that you’ll traveling with a world map. You’re traveling across this chunk of the continent in which the game is set. And each of the regions is purposeful. It has a reason you would be brought here. It ties back to the story, or at least to the overall themes of the game. “These are my enemies and they’re very active here. I should find out why.”

That kind of stuff. That means that they aren’t necessarily laden with story, because story is the antithesis of discovery, right? It tends to lead you along. But when you’re discovering things, you should feel like they’re part of the overall game and not random. I would say that it has elements of open world for sure, but it’s something closer to the feel we had in the Baldur’s Gate games or in Origins, even, where it’s larger areas, big spaces, and the chance for you to move around and see a wide variety of different terrains and locales and so on.

quote:

RPS: Will there be any cameos by the cave from Dragon Age II? The infamous cave?

Laidlaw: Oh, the cave. No, I don’t expect that cave will return. I think we’ve probably used it enough.

quote:

RPS: One of the things I found really interesting is that you can toggle on and off the thing that essentially tells you, more or less, what the outcome of your choice will be. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Laidlaw: To be clear, it never tells you the outcome. It tells you the action will take. That’s a pretty distinct difference. The outcome is like, “This will result in war.” The action is, “You will behead him.” So you need to understand that. I would never want to tell you the outcome, because that’s annoying. There’s GameFAQs for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well I approve whole heartedly of the "tell me what the hell my action actually is going to be" information I can't but help feel like maybe DA3 and future Bioware games are going to end up with a truly authentic choose your own adventure mode where you start at what you want your end point to be and work backwards from there*.

*There drat well should be, at least for NG+.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was gonna mention this for all the people doing their best 'haters gonna hate' poo poo. Putting aside anecdotal evidence of how buggy or not Steam/Origin is per person (I've personally never had a major issue with either, but plenty of minor 'ugh' moments on both), I think that if you're really dead set on preordering this game, I'd do it through Origin because you can actually get a full refund within the first 24 hours after launching the game, but it won't work if you buy it through Amazon or GMG or whatever. They apparently have actual people reviewing the refund requests so I doubt you can get away with playing the game for 23 hours then going 'you know, nah, I'm good', but you can probably drop 5-6 hours and still get a refund.

Personally, I'm hopeful because I'm a naive idiot and I think that after DA2 and ME3 they're very interested in not looking like idiots for a third time in a row.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 12, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

kingcom posted:

He was my only spec'd healer and I didn't want to have to build that poo poo again with giggle squee or myself. Sure I could maybe get through it but I dont want to.

Not to mention that Merrill does not have access to healing spells. Anders is your only healer after Act 1 until the end game, unless your character can heal as well. And if you play a warrior or rogue, then you have to take Anders along if you take your sister into the Deep Roads, or else he will be your only healer for the rest of DA2. And besides, I romanced him in my first playthrough and found it OOC to kill him.

Lotish posted:

Didn't see anyone else post this interview. Particular points I thought the thread might be interested in:

Open world is loaded, but I don't need a world like Skyrim. Different open maps separated by loading screens worked for Baldur's Gate.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I played both DA:O and DA2 a long-rear end time ago--is there any way for me to tell at a glance which choices I've made? Otherwise I don't see the point of the Keep; who memorizes every little thing they do in a game like this (besides my sister) or bothers to learn all this lore?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I played both DA:O and DA2 a long-rear end time ago--is there any way for me to tell at a glance which choices I've made? Otherwise I don't see the point of the Keep; who memorizes every little thing they do in a game like this (besides my sister) or bothers to learn all this lore?

Magimix.

also me

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I understand this Dragon Age Keep thing right, at the moment you can only apply to join the beta at a later date, right? So right now it is just a website with a promise of more to come? That means we just have to wait until it is finished to see what choices are available to us.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

WeaponBoy posted:

Personally, I'm hopeful because I'm a naive idiot and I think that after DA2 and ME3 they're very interested in not looking like idiots for a third time in a row.

You forgot SWTOR. So... too late?

Torrannor posted:

If I understand this Dragon Age Keep thing right, at the moment you can only apply to join the beta at a later date, right?

Right.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dr. Platypus posted:

The Chasind flatblade has a tattoo

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

/raises hand as well.

They said they'll allow players to build their own history, so I'm guessing things like, did you aid the elves or the werewolves, which dwarven king did you crown, what Landsmeet outcome did you have, etc.

I don't know if there will be a way for the game to read your save file to see the important choices you made in the past to carry over into this game.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Do we know the actual time period this game takes place in? If Morrigan is running around, presumably it takes place Post-origins. So if that's the case, might we see the Archfiend Baby at some point?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Spaceking posted:

Do we know the actual time period this game takes place in? If Morrigan is running around, presumably it takes place Post-origins. So if that's the case, might we see the Archfiend Baby at some point?

Unless it has been stated specifically, the assumption is that, with Cassandra and Varric both being in your party, the game takes place ~10 years after the events of Origins, plus or minus a bit of spare change. DA2 has come and gone, and the timeline for the events in Kirkwall set the minimum of pretty much a decade passing. Assuming they don't add a few years on top of that, of course.

e: On a completely unrelated note- Oh. Oh boy. This... this looks to be quite a read.
Bioware on Race, Romance, and (R)Time in Dragon Age

Generic American fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 12, 2013

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Generic American posted:

e: On a completely unrelated note- Oh. Oh boy. This... this looks to be quite a read.
Bioware on Race, Romance, and (R)Time in Dragon Age

Choice quotes:

quote:

Again, to some degree, you being an Inquisitor overrides some of the race stuff.

quote:

There’s points where the Chantry is in the spotlight, but it doesn’t mean it goes away when it’s not in the spotlight. I think DA 2 was absolutely the big one for the mage.

quote:

When I think to my personal favorite, Planescape Torment, it’s an amazing game, and part of the thing that made it so amazing was that the characters who surrounded the Nameless One were such extremes. So what’s up with Ignus? He’s on fire and in pain ALL THE TIME. Most of his dialogue is “AAAAGH!” and you’re like, “Wow, okay…” There’s a wise-cracking guy who’s a skull and threatens to bite you. The succubus tries to focus on her poetry.

That Torment namedrop is hilariously hamfisted.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Geostomp posted:

I hope it doesn't, because I think people should learn how to win fights without being overly-dependent on perpetually outhealing damage.

• Locked thread