Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

And Rikidozan.

Don't forget BIG DADDY! (please forget Big Daddy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Solomonic posted:

Whoa now, let's be fair to Sting, there were also aspects lifted directly from The Mask.

e: I was being only sort of serious there but upon checking Youtube holy poo poo

"Evil clowns, in the rafters!"

But yeah, I guess you can at least say that Sting is good at impersonations :shobon:

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Watching a lot of the late 1996, Hogan was amazing with his promos once he settled into the Hollywood stuff. His early promos were just Hulk stuff basically but whether him or someone directed him to go heavy into the Hollywood stuff it worked great. He was so overbearing in 1995/96 so his getting to be a heel was great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Willninho posted:

Watching a lot of the late 1996, Hogan was amazing with his promos once he settled into the Hollywood stuff. His early promos were just Hulk stuff basically but whether him or someone directed him to go heavy into the Hollywood stuff it worked great. He was so overbearing in 1995/96 so his getting to be a heel was great.

Have you seen him comparing an nWo assault to the U.S. Gov't burning David Koresh's Waco compound to the ground? Pure insanity, and rambling as gently caress, too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LvK posted:

If you talk enough about Big Daddy Meltzer will interview someone about british wrestling on the podcast and that's actually cool.

But seriously, Sting is one of those guys that if you weren't 8 at the time you look back and see the papered houses and realise that in terms of what the main job of a pro-wrestler is, he wasn't a hall of famer. And for the secondary stuff, he wasn't either. What I'm saying is he's Keith Hernandez.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LordPants posted:

If you talk enough about Big Daddy Meltzer will interview someone about british wrestling on the podcast and that's actually cool.

But seriously, Sting is one of those guys that if you weren't 8 at the time you look back and see the papered houses and realise that in terms of what the main job of a pro-wrestler is, he wasn't a hall of famer. And for the secondary stuff, he wasn't either. What I'm saying is he's Keith Hernandez.

I wasn't 8 at the time and I'm a lifelong WWF/E fan and hated most of WCW during the Monday Night Wars etc, but Sting is loving amazing and should be in the Hall of Fame :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Solomonic posted:

Whoa now, let's be fair to Sting, there were also aspects lifted directly from The Mask.

e: I was being only sort of serious there but upon checking Youtube holy poo poo

Oh for gently caress's sake. I had no idea it had gotten this bad at one point.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

LvK posted:

I promised Hulkamatt as soon as Sting HOF talk started I wouldn't bring up Big Daddy.

Shirley Crabtree. Never forget.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. I had no idea it had gotten this bad at one point.

I love how that's the official TNA channel and the name of the video still has .mov on it...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was interesting that Crow Sting was at his most over when he didn't say a drat thing and didn't wrestle.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

It was interesting that Crow Sting was at his most over when he didn't say a drat thing and didn't wrestle.
Sting really lost all his mystique when he started talking again. Goldberg too, really. But they had an idea in 1998 that might've worked that I've never seen mentioned anywhere online or in books about the time: One night on Nitro, Lex Luger got beaten up. Sting was scheduled for the main. In the main event, Wolfpac Sting (who I occasionally refer to as Rooster Sting or Mr. Sting Miser) was nowhere to be found, and Crow Sting came down on a zipline and whipped rear end.

It was never mentioned again aside from Schiavone clearing it up on Thunder and saying Sting was not leaving the Wolfpac.

On a Sting best-of VHS produced earlier, Eric Bischoff said he had an upcoming idea that Sting could shift back and forth between the two personas.

The idea being that Sting could hulk up and become the rear end-kicking mime we all loved, but he'd still get to cut promos and scream "WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!" (not to be confused with "Woo!") when he wanted to, since Steve Borden was getting tired of never saying anything.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Say Nothing posted:

Says a lot about his working and promo abilities, frankly.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sting is in the only HOF that matters. The TNA one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think what really hurt Sting was the mishandling of what was meant to be the big nWo payoff.

The story was supposed to be the nWo comes in and runs wild over WCW, and Sting is so pissed off at being distrusted by the roster that he turns his back on them and stands by to watch quietly as it happens... but then he slowly starts to become involved, chasing off the nWo, making his presence known, blocking their attempts to get at him at every turn. Finally he gets a title shot against Hogan, beats him and is held up triumphantly by a jubilant WCW roster.

They ALMOST got it right, but then Sting is made to look like an idiot a week or so before the match by coming to the ring at Hogan's invitation and getting jumped by the nWo and taking a beating just like everybody else in the roster did. Then they get the bright idea for a lovely warmed up leftover of the Montreal Screwjob for their finish. Then Hogan convinces Evil Nick Patrick to make a regular count instead of a fast count. THEN Sting wins and gets the jubilant WCW roster putting him on their shoulders.... and THEN JJ Dillon shows up the next day and agrees to redo the match, it runs overtime so they air it Thunder instead, there is STILL no definitive winner so Sting is stripped of the belt, which remains vacant till Superbrawl when it is won by.... Sting.

What happened to the catharsis!?! :negative:

I don't care who you are, mishandling like that is going to make you look like poo poo, and that's what happened to Sting, sadly. I still think he's amazing and he should be in the Hall of Fame though.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

jeffersonlives posted:

No, no, Cena's actually drawn over the course of his career and generally has a positive effect on business compared to his peers (which is the entire point with Sting - he really didn't). It's just that I have a really hard time saying Cena is at a Hogan or Austin level because he's never been on top for anything resembling the kind of peak years that they have had, and really only even has one peak program on a really high level (with Rock, obviously). There's certainly a peak vs. longevity argument somewhere in here, but Cena doesn't even have as many major promotion on top years as Hogan in sum yet.

Dave actually has a list of the Top 100 draws that he updates every year based on being a top draw and longevity at the top. It has flaws when it comes to the Japanese & Mexican talent (Mexican Wrestling doesn't have complete records Pre-1988, hurting a lot of huge names), but it's pretty good. Cena is actually listed above Austin on the list, but at the same time Dave states that if not for the longevity factor Austin would pretty much be listed as Top 5 all time.

Sting isn't on the list.

Red posted:

:confused:

Is Cena WWF's Sting?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 12, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

:confused:

Is Cena WWF's Sting?

I think Diesel was the WWF's Sting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cena is more significant to the scope of Pro Wrestling than Sting.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Says a lot about his working and promo abilities, frankly.
That's the real problem. There is a huge talent deficit and he needs historically strong drawing power and influence on the business.

Here are Sting's contemporaries elected to the HOF after 1996 for their work in the US.
Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker, Triple H, Eddie Guerrero, The Rock, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio Jr, John Cena.

Take out the huge draws and you're left with Foley, Benoit, Michaels, Angle, Guerrero, Jericho, and Mysterio.

Consider how much talent and influence you are balancing out because Sting was "the face of WCW" and the focus of a story where he never spoke or wrestled for a year.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
The fact that Sting based two gimmicks on deceased actors has been noted before. During the Monday Night Wars, back when people made Geocities fan sites, it wasn't uncommon for Sting to be featured on a Crow fan site, as one of The Crow's incarnations. You had the original comic book, Brandon Lee and Sting. You also had Vincent Perez and Marc Dacascos, unfortunately. Even the baseball bat is from The Crow, from the scene in which Eric Draven goes after Mr. Gideon.

Then we get Joker Sting based on Heath Ledger. The weirdest thing here is that you can easily make connections between Brandon Lee, Sting and Heath Ledger. Sting made both gimmicks about two to three years after each actor died. Ledger's Joker took a lot of Lee's mannerisms, and then Sting based a lot on Ledger. Then there's the Jim Carrey connection, based on the Mask. It's the circle of entertainment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Take out the huge draws and you're left with Foley, Benoit, Michaels, Angle, Guerrero, Jericho, and Mysterio.

Consider how much talent and influence you are balancing out because Sting was "the face of WCW" and the focus of a story where he never spoke or wrestled for a year.

This is definitely a great argument. If you put Sting into that group there's an odd man out and he's wearing facepaint.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rad R. posted:

The fact that Sting based two gimmicks on deceased actors has been noted before. During the Monday Night Wars, back when people made Geocities fan sites, it wasn't uncommon for Sting to be featured on a Crow fan site, as one of The Crow's incarnations. You had the original comic book, Brandon Lee and Sting. You also had Vincent Perez and Marc Dacascos, unfortunately. Even the baseball bat is from The Crow, from the scene in which Eric Draven goes after Mr. Gideon.

Then we get Joker Sting based on Heath Ledger. The weirdest thing here is that you can easily make connections between Brandon Lee, Sting and Heath Ledger. Sting made both gimmicks about two to three years after each actor died. Ledger's Joker took a lot of Lee's mannerisms, and then Sting based a lot on Ledger. Then there's the Jim Carrey connection, based on the Mask. It's the circle of entertainment.

This took more thought than Sting, WCW or TNA put into those gimmicks.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Jericho is the weakest of this list. Solid worker, but he never drew big and didn't innovate much like the others did.

Did he get in for being a smark-darling?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

EugeneJ posted:

Jericho is the weakest of this list. Solid worker, but he never drew big and didn't innovate much like the others did.

Jericho got in mostly cause of his last run on top, I think. His reinvention of his character into slow talking, suit wearing main eventer pushed him over the top.

At the time it was pretty innovative actually. Obviously he was drawing inspiration from the past, but no one else in pro wrestling was doing anything quite like that.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

Jericho got in mostly cause of his last run on top, I think. His reinvention of his character into slow talking, suit wearing main eventer pushed him over the top.

At the time it was pretty innovative actually. Obviously he was drawing inspiration from the past, but no one else in pro wrestling was doing anything quite like that.

Ehhhhhh I don't even think the Shawn-Jericho program was a main event on most shows it featured on. Great matches, but 5 years later they're largely forgotten.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

triplexpac posted:

I always thought it was more of an updated version of Nick Bockwinkel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nick Bockwinkel is definitely my favourite thing about watching AWA. Yes, even better than Bruiser Brody pretending to have brain damage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Nick Bockwinkel is definitely my favourite thing about watching AWA. Yes, even better than Bruiser Brody pretending to have brain damage.

Track down his Memphis angle where he loses a non-title match to Jerry Lawler, and claims afterwards the only reason Lawler wins is because he's a great puncher (which is a great way of being a heel while also putting Jerry over), so he proposes Lawler's AWA title match have a stip: For every punch Lawler uses, he'll be charged $500. Actually, gently caress it, here it is, because I am a kind and giving man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsHSzMIcLU Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoVjxavJS0 Part 3

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

He was an elite worker for many years, a solid draw on top (the HBK/Jericho feud did very well) and well, all around a Hall of Famer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRafTer posted:

He was an elite worker for many years, a solid draw on top (the HBK/Jericho feud did very well) and well, all around a Hall of Famer.

Plus, if I remember right, he was a not-inconsiderable draw in Mexico.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

How big was Jericho's run in Mexico? It seems like he did well there during a hot time in the country. So that likely has something to do with it as well.

Jericho has about as diverse a resume as you could want in a HOFer. Mexico, Europe, Japan, SMW, ECW, WCW, WWF/E...all during hot periods. Great worker in the ring in a bunch of different styles. A lot of big feuds and memorable moments. And a solid late career big match resume to top it all off.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Would Jeff Jarrett have any shot at getting into the WON hall of fame?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bigass Moth posted:

No.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Bigass Moth posted:

No

e:beaten

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why not? Ain't he great?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

If he borrows Orlando Jordan's time machine and manages to turn TNA into a success, sure.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

If he borrows Orlando Jordan's time machine and manages to turn TNA into a success, sure.

Jeff Jarrett has the third most NWA title reigns in history, just behind Harley Race and Ric Flair, started the second most powerful wrestling company in North America and holds the world record for number of Guitars broken in a lifetime. :colbert:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeff Jarrett has the third most NWA title reigns in history, just behind Harley Race and Ric Flair, started the second most powerful wrestling company in North America and holds the world record for number of Guitars broken in a lifetime. :colbert:

And yet that all still means jack poo poo.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wish I had a good analogy for calling TNA the second most powerful wrestling company in North America.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Chris Gaines posted:

I wish I had a good analogy for calling TNA the second most powerful wrestling company in North America.

The Bellator of wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the topic of "Faces of top US promotions who never worked for WWE"...

Would AJ Styles be a HOF candidate based on his work in TNA?