Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hoping that this is all part of Verizon's cloak and dagger gently caress bitches up the rear end ninja takeover plan.

But it's probably not.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Apparently Wind is planning to buy Mobilicity. I knew Mobilicity wasn't doing well, but it turns out they're in terrible shape. This would also push Wind remarkably close to 1M subscribers which is a nice milestone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I guess that's not bad news, but if it happens, I sure hope WIND honours existing Mobilicity plans. I don't want to lose my $22/month lifetime unlimited plan.

Ideally Wind & Mobilicity would merge and buy up as much of the new spectrum as possible at the next auction. But I'm more than a little concerned that the last I heard, Wind was struggling too and its owners were looking to sell it off, with the only potential buyers so far being Verizon and some equity firm partnering with motherfucking Rogers (do NOT let this poo poo happen).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

On the subject of the hilarious use of flawed logic to further their unpopular policies, Bell once released a memo to employees to attempt to showcase the "benefits" of a locked phone to customers who ask about unlocking their device. Such benefits include "competitive roaming rates" (because people unlock their phones to pay more I guess) and "not having to pay an unlocking fee"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Science posted:

Apparently Wind is planning to buy Mobilicity. I knew Mobilicity wasn't doing well, but it turns out they're in terrible shape. This would also push Wind remarkably close to 1M subscribers which is a nice milestone.

They've been on the verge of bankruptcy for months, as I understand it, and since Industry Canada wouldn't let Telus buy them, selling out to a foreigner, Wind or maaaaybe Videotron was really the only choice available to them.

I imagine that since Verizon proved the skeptics right about their interest in the Canadian market, that someone in government is quietly encouraging the AWS holders to consolidate as much as possible in order to salvage their fourth-carrier plan and continue fostering competition without additional regulation, but that's just a guess on my part.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

OilSlick posted:

Such benefits include "competitive roaming rates" (because people unlock their phones to pay more I guess) and "not having to pay an unlocking fee"

Oh that is just pathetic.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Lexicon posted:

Oh that is just pathetic.

The fact is that all the players use international roaming to increase their ARPU. They have to give their reps something to say to justify locked devices, other then "it's another way we can increase the average monthly spending of our customers."

But the root problem is still a major issue. Even if I'm getting a subsidy on the cost of my device, there's no reason it should be carrier locked.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

WienerDog posted:

The fact is that all the players use international roaming to increase their ARPU. They have to give their reps something to say to justify locked devices, other then "it's another way we can increase the average monthly spending of our customers."

But the root problem is still a major issue. Even if I'm getting a subsidy on the cost of my device, there's no reason it should be carrier locked.

If it were up to me, device locking would be illegal. It is in several European countries. It's blatant anti-competitive and anti-consumer behaviour.

The contract is the mechanism by which carriers are ensured reimbursement for their outlay of device subsidy.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I'm currently on Wind with a mediocre Huawei that I want to replace. The battery is crapping out and I need something that will A) allow me to take photos of co-worker's screw-ups for documentation, and B) have a long enough battery that I can make two or three 5 minute calls per day and not drain 60% of the charge.

I'm deciding between a Nexus 4 and Galaxy 3. Aphrodite mentioned the crummy camera and battery of the Nexus 4, but the reviews I've read praise it as one of the best Android-based phones available (as does the stickied thread here). I'm leaning towards the Galaxy 3 because of the better battery life, but my last Samsung phone was dogshit and I'm weary of having another bad run with them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nexus 4 is better than the S3.

The battery life isn't terrible, but it is on the shorter end. It will probably be fine with the usage you described.

The camera is weak mainly because other manufacturers put fancy software that does all kinds of optimizations while the stock Android phone app is fairly vanilla (presumably because in theory it needs to work with a variety of phones, though that obviously doesn't happen in practice.)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Nexus 4 was just discontinued so you may wish to wait for the next version which is likely imminent.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Oh wow, didn't even clue in to the Nexus 5. I caught that bit about KitKat a few days ago and thought nothing of it. I guess the price will be the biggest deciding factor; I don't want to blow 400 bones on a phone when 200 will do. Time to stick with my Chinese spy-phone for another month. Thanks guys.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Guzwar posted:

Oh wow, didn't even clue in to the Nexus 5. I caught that bit about KitKat a few days ago and thought nothing of it. I guess the price will be the biggest deciding factor; I don't want to blow 400 bones on a phone when 200 will do. Time to stick with my Chinese spy-phone for another month. Thanks guys.

Btw, the numeric suffix is a reference to the screen size, not version. So presumably the next one will also be a Nexus 4 :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

And that's why the nexus one had a 1" screen

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

mewse posted:

He's not wrong, it started being a thing with the last generation of nexus devices with the 4, 7, and 10.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mewse posted:

The Nexus One predates the iPad; i.e. it was birthed into a world where Android was intended to be nothing other than a phone OS.

At least based on current marketing, the Nexus 4, 7, and 10, refer to a 4" phone, a 7" tablet, and a 10" tablet, respectively.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

At least based on current marketing, the Nexus 4, 7, and 10, refer to a 4" phone, a 7" tablet, and a 10" tablet, respectively.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm about to lose my 50% Rogers employee discount so I'm looking around at other providers. This is the first time I've looked at Wind and it looks like Wind only has native service in certain major Canadian cities, and any other city a user would have to pay roaming rates on Rogers. Is this true or am I mistaken?

I live in Victoria, BC if anyone has suggestions. Looking for something with 500-1000mb of data per month at any speed around $30-40/month if possible.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

No, I don't know when the new iPhone is going to arrive tia

Seriously, 3 hours after the announcement and we're getting phone calls if we have it. Gotta love this time of the year.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Blame Apple, their the ones who didn't give a preorder date.

I'm gonna harass the poo poo outta telus, mainly cause my current phone os dying.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

I'm about to lose my 50% Rogers employee discount so I'm looking around at other providers. This is the first time I've looked at Wind and it looks like Wind only has native service in certain major Canadian cities, and any other city a user would have to pay roaming rates on Rogers. Is this true or am I mistaken?

I live in Victoria, BC if anyone has suggestions. Looking for something with 500-1000mb of data per month at any speed around $30-40/month if possible.

Yeah, that's true about WIND.

However they've had "unofficial" coverage in Victoria for a while now, at least a year.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Who is the current best choice when you already have a device? I'm looking to get away from contracts and get my bill down. Currently I'm with bell and paying around $75 a month.

I am looking for unlimited texting, preferably unlimited evening and weekend calling, and 500-1gb data.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Who is the current best choice when you already have a device? I'm looking to get away from contracts and get my bill down. Currently I'm with bell and paying around $75 a month.

I am looking for unlimited texting, preferably unlimited evening and weekend calling, and 500-1gb data.

Kodoo is often recommended here, they may have a better plan, and I think they include US/Int. text? But in Ontario Rogers premium "Share everything" plan is $85, but you get $20 off for bringing your own phone. Includes unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited Canada wide text and 1GB data, but the promo now is giving 2GB data instead.

e: typo.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 12, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Based on prior iPhones on Rogers, will upgrading to a 5s just be as simple as calling in and saying "I want a new 5s for $199 with my current contract"? I'm currently off contract / month to month. Family plan, but I just want my line to get the handset upgrade. The others are currently happy with their mom/dad-phones.

And if that's the case, will only my line be put back on contract? My understanding is that we're all off contract but I'm not 100% sure how these things work with a family plan. Do we have ONE contract that covers three lines or THREE contracts that cover one line each.

I'm doing my own research right now but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My girlfriend and I are looking at switching plans to save some money by getting rid of our home phone in lieu of a joint plan with unlimited canada wide calling ($15 savings on utilities bill).

I am currently on prepaid (~$15 per month) and she is on a $65 plan that has come off contract.

We are currently looking at the rogers plan which would be:

$85 for unlimited canada-wide calling, unlimited text and 1+1gb per month of data.

We would take off $20 to $65 for having my own phone and she would add a line for $55 (less $20 for having her own phone). That's a total of $100 per month. I have a promotion where they will give me $5 off a month for up to 24 months if I upgrade to a month to month plan, which would bring it to $95 per month.

Are there any better alternatives out there for two lines with data and canada wide calling?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Koodo used to be great and their basic plans had all these, plus flex data for that "500mb-1gb" range. But they changed their flex data to insultingly bad tiers in the wake of the 2 year contract restriction whinefest.

On the other hand, Virgin still has the exact same plan Koodo used to have, including flex data. So you'd get 100 minutes, unlimited evening + weekend minutes and unlimited texting for $30 with their minimum plan, plus $15/$20 per month depending on the <300MB/<1GB tier.

That plan is exactly what I have with Koodo, except I got 200 minutes from signing up during a double minutes promotion.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Actually the Virgin $30 plan doesn't get flex data. It's an insultingly expensive $10/250MB plan. You need to choose the $35 plan to get the flex data.

edit: Ignore me, I'm wrong. Looks like thats just an option and you can opt for the flex data if you don't pick the $10/250MB addon.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Does Rogers still charge that additional 911 fee and other fee that was a blatant cash grab?

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.
So I was looking at upgrading to a 5S on Rogers and I noticed the new 2 year plans that I'd have to sign onto to renew. Are they for real? I'm paying $80 a month (WITH taxes) for 200 min, 6GB of data, my10, etc... and with these new plans, it looks like something similar would run over $120?

Am I just reading this wrong, or are they for real? It makes more sense to just buy the drat phone outright and keep what I have.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

jot posted:

So I was looking at upgrading to a 5S on Rogers and I noticed the new 2 year plans that I'd have to sign onto to renew. Are they for real? I'm paying $80 a month (WITH taxes) for 200 min, 6GB of data, my10, etc... and with these new plans, it looks like something similar would run over $120?

Am I just reading this wrong, or are they for real? It makes more sense to just buy the drat phone outright and keep what I have.

If your plan is more then $60 then you can keep what you have and resign for 2 years.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

WienerDog posted:

If your plan is more then $60 then you can keep what you have and resign for 2 years.

Oh awesome. Do you know if it's with or without add-ons? Though I just checked and my plan is $60.00 on the nose anyhow. Works for me!

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Science posted:

Does Rogers still charge that additional 911 fee and other fee that was a blatant cash grab?

Everyone charges the 43 cent 911 fee. It is paid to the government to pay for 911 coverage, even on disconnected phones. I don't think Rogers charges any other bullshit hidden fees.

Also, Bell will not be doing any preorders for any of the new iPhones. They aren't confident Apple will be able to meet initial demand, since they've barely been able to do so in the past. Not sure about other carriers yet

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Rogers has the reservations up for the 5C, but nothing for the 5S. Guess I have to wait and phone in and hope I get lucky. :shepicide::shepspends:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I was just on the Rogers upgrade eligibility thing chat (because I hate phoning them so much) to get a sense of my current options for acquiring a 5s. To cut a long story short, the guy was saying that all corporate accounts still renew on 3-year terms. That completely removes the incentive to get the phone through Rogers, but surely that can't be true?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I believe I remember reading in the CRTC document mandating 2 year terms that it specifically applied to consumers only, so I think it's possible.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

I believe I remember reading in the CRTC document mandating 2 year terms that it specifically applied to consumers only, so I think it's possible.

:lol: fair enough. I would've hated myself for buying a locked phone anyway, so it's for the best.

The Continental
Sep 22, 2004
Does anyone know if Rogers Canada-wide Calling includes incoming calls? Or is it only for calls that you initiate? It's not clear on the website and I've heard of other similarly named plans distinguishing between the two...

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I was just on the Rogers upgrade eligibility thing chat (because I hate phoning them so much) to get a sense of my current options for acquiring a 5s. To cut a long story short, the guy was saying that all corporate accounts still renew on 3-year terms. That completely removes the incentive to get the phone through Rogers, but surely that can't be true?

I had a corporate client do an upgrade the other day and they seemed to have the option to do 3 year plans with Bell, so I guess it's probably true. That said, I was able to keep the same type of rate plan and the phones are the same price on a two year term anyway, so there was no real point in signing a three year contract. Not sure if Rogers will allow for the same.

The Continental posted:

Does anyone know if Rogers Canada-wide Calling includes incoming calls? Or is it only for calls that you initiate? It's not clear on the website and I've heard of other similarly named plans distinguishing between the two...

It's free calling in or out, assuming it's an unlimited calling plan.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'm in Quebec for a while (partner's school stuff), but normally based in BC. Koodo has a fairly decent Quebec-only plan: $50 for unlimited Canada wide plus 1GB (additional GB are $10 a piece), less 10% for bringing own-device. A couple of questions:

* Will they port over my 604 number or would I have to get a Quebec number? I can provide a Quebec billing address for now.
* What happens when I go back to BC? Do I lose access to this plan?
* I'm assuming Koodo has LTE, and it's not throttled in any way compared to Telus/Bell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Your number should be fine if you're okay with long distance. I'd just get it changed.

You can keep your plan when you move as far as I know. I've done it with Telus but you'll never be able to change your plan then get it back. You'll also need a Quebec address to change the plan.

That same plan is available here in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, it's really great compared to what you get in the rest of the country. Having Videotron, Sasktel and MTS in SK/MB/QC is great for plans from competition.