Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

baquerd posted:

It would be a heck of a lot more weird if they brought them uncooked.
We'd be okay. My office has a barbecue. I actually cook lunch on it weekly ... cheaper than buying prepared food when I'm having a lazy morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Bishyaler posted:

Do any of you push power settings with GPO? It's not something we do currently (our factory image comes preset to high performance), but seeing that Intel's focus is now on extremely power efficient processors I think there might be some benefit to be had there. What kind of battery, power cost savings, and problems have you experienced?

My company does this and it is bloody annoying, fortunately we also have an opt-out option for some of us.

In an office with desktop systems it can make a lot of sense, but exclude mobile employees.

From a mobile worker perspective, forcing the policy has caused my laptop to go to hibernate while I had background tasks running to generate certain reports.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is 'disruptive' the new 'innovative' marketing speak? Anyone else noticed this?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Alctel posted:

I go out of my way to not notice poo poo like that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Awesome both idea's shot down for backing up a +10 year old RH server, why not just google for random software and buy buy buy!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
My boss, the thing that has made working for this huge company fun and tolerable is quitting.

My pod just cracked open and is leaking that goofy fluid. I'll be awake and Morpheus will be coming for me shortly, I fear.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Alctel posted:

That one has been around for a while. It basically means "something that annoys I.T. workers."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alctel posted:

I believe it's synonymous with "game changing". So yes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nitrogen posted:

My boss, the thing that has made working for this huge company fun and tolerable is quitting.

My pod just cracked open and is leaking that goofy fluid. I'll be awake and Morpheus will be coming for me shortly, I fear.

I bet you look really funny with no eyebrows.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm using one myself for basically the same thing you're doing and it's working there, so I can probably answer any questions you might have about it.

Got this all setup in a test OU and it seems to be awesome. The only issue I have came across is the loving "Include inheritable permissions for this object's parent" keeps un-ticking itself. Google has lead me down a few paths, but I am still fighting it.

Currently on the OU where my test accounts are, a security group has delegation rights for password resets and unlocks. Test accounts are only in the "domain users" OU. Domain Users is only a member of the builtin Users and Print Operators. For some reason the builtin Print Operators security group keeps un-ticking that loving box and then loving everything below it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Agrikk posted:

Do not do this. There isn't enough time to do it properly so whatever you do will be incomplete and the next guy will be mocking your work regardless of what you do, so meh.

Instead you need to be kicking back, saying your goodbyes and "making yourself available as a resource" for people who will be transitioning your workload for you.

You have 2.5 days left. You should be doing nothing that could even be remotely considered "a pain in the rear end".

New guy starts tomorrow, thankfully, so it will probably be me watching over his shoulder. The most important of what I do consists of end of day processing, which starts at close and takes an hour and is step by step running reports and macros. I will be showing him the ins and outs of that to make his life easier, as it can be intimidating as hell when you first start and was definitely my main source of anxiety early on at this job.

I'm probably too nice, but whatever, they treated me really good here. Boss bringing us out for lunch at a nice place near here on Friday as a thanks and goodbye meal. I'm sure it will be the tits.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Alctel posted:

I think I've heard it.

From our marketing bods, I heard the newsletter sign up confirmation email described as a "great rebranding opportunity" (they're obsessed with rebranding right now)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Nebulis01 posted:

If ADUC is above their heads you should check out Active Directory Administrative Center. It's included in 2008R2 and above, built pretty much for helpdesk or line staff to do simple things in AD.

That's the tool I was talking about, yeah.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I have to write a document to explain to people how to properly set timezones.

No, I don't mean how to set them in the OS. Thats documented. I mean how to choose the right timezone to set.

You'd think that if you choose a timezone called EST [/usr/share/zoneinfo/EST], you'd realize that it doesn't use DST.

You'd also think that if the customer is located in Denver, and they ask for Mountain time to be set, that my engineer would set Denver or Mountain time as the time zone [/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver] Instead, they set Phoenix.

You would ALSO think that a customer that is based in Florida, that asked for Eastern time would somehow get Eastern time. Either New_York, or maybe even EST (which is wrong, but less wrong than what I got.]

They set Atlantic Time Zone. Because, you see, Florida is on the atlantic ocean.

EDIT: And my proposal several years ago to just use GMT/UTC for everything [gently caress you, to your operating system they are the same] was met with denial because "that would be too confusing."

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 11, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The CEO called me today to go to his office and train him in OneNote. I've never loving used OneNote in my life. So I spent my lunch watching a OneNote training video from CBT Nuggets then spent an hour this afternoon showing him the ropes. :suicide:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Got this all setup in a test OU and it seems to be awesome. The only issue I have came across is the loving "Include inheritable permissions for this object's parent" keeps un-ticking itself. Google has lead me down a few paths, but I am still fighting it.

Currently on the OU where my test accounts are, a security group has delegation rights for password resets and unlocks. Test accounts are only in the "domain users" OU. Domain Users is only a member of the builtin Users and Print Operators. For some reason the builtin Print Operators security group keeps un-ticking that loving box and then loving everything below it.

Stupid setup. Print Operators keeps un-ticking the inheritable permissions box. Now time to scour our lovely non-consistant environment to make sure we are not actually using that security group. Once I yank domain users out of there, I think I'll be set.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Sr tech on the account submitted a ticket for a user:

user cannot enable Windows Firewall, it is greyed out. Investigate why this is happening and resolve the issue.

Its greyed out because Windows Firewall is disabled in GPO.

The GPO he setup a month ago...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GargleBlaster posted:

I think I've heard it.

From our marketing bods, I heard the newsletter sign up confirmation email described as a "great rebranding opportunity" (they're obsessed with rebranding right now)

From a small amount of experience, organisations that rebrand when it's not alongside some sort of product launch or a change in direction (usually involving a change in product offerings) are probably doing it out of desperation.

This applies even more if people are obsessed about the 'rebrand' more than the actions involved in actually achieving it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Amazon loves to call their AWS pricing "disruptive".

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

deimos posted:

Amazon loves to call their AWS pricing "disruptive".

It's no more disruptive than the platform's unreasonableness.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Awesome both idea's shot down for backing up a +10 year old RH server, why not just google for random software and buy buy buy!

Dilbert, what's wrong with bog-standard dump(8) piped into a gzipped tarball or something?

Alternatively, see if you can get Amanda up and running (though with its age it might be hard)

Edit: Comedy option, DD the whole drat disk or disks into an image onto your SAN or something.

EuphrosyneD fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 11, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

From a small amount of experience, organisations that rebrand when it's not alongside some sort of product launch or a change in direction (usually involving a change in product offerings) are probably doing it out of desperation.

This applies even more if people are obsessed about the 'rebrand' more than the actions involved in actually achieving it.

It's hard to say if they're acting in desperation here, it's just a marketing department who've been given a ton of money to give to external designers who do make some nice looking stuff. But they seem to have fixated on "we must rebrand EVERYTHING" and by everything I mean probably even the sign on the bog door saying 'please leave this area as clean as you wish to find it', with the new Corporate Pantones, blue starburst graphic that looked nice on this one leaflet, and Arial 11

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

EuphrosyneD posted:

Dilbert, what's wrong with bog-standard dump(8) piped into a gzipped tarball or something?

Alternatively, see if you can get Amanda up and running (though with its age it might be hard)

Edit: Comedy option, DD the whole drat disk or disks into an image onto your SAN or something.

I think the issue is none of the (correct) solutions he's proposed or any of the other (correct) solutions in this thread cost money. Services need to cost money because then there's someone to blame if they fail even if it is more likely that they will fail because they suck. No this doesn't make any loving sense but the people in charge didn't get to where they are by making sense they got there by bullshitting and scapegoating.

Dilbert hire me to come in and P2V that server for $200/hr. I'm an expensive outsider so clearly I'm a better option than you pushing the same loving buttons for your current salary.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

DragonReach posted:

My company does this and it is bloody annoying, fortunately we also have an opt-out option for some of us.

In an office with desktop systems it can make a lot of sense, but exclude mobile employees.

From a mobile worker perspective, forcing the policy has caused my laptop to go to hibernate while I had background tasks running to generate certain reports.

Our company policy is to never automate hibernate/sleep on a timer. So it would be: balanced profile, never sleep, turn off screen after 15 mins, etc.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
A ticket went out... and never came back.

"Uh, yeah, that awesome user-facing ticket system we have, that was loudly crowed about when it went live last year? The one you've been using to file your tickets, with decent details about the problem (as opposed to trying to explain it to J. Random Helldesk staff on the phone)?

"Welp, turns out that you're the only person in our 450+ person organisation that actually uses it, and so helldesk doesn't actually check for tickets there."

:smithicide:

That *would* explain why it took a week and a half to order more loving toner last month, though...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Galler posted:

I think the issue is none of the (correct) solutions he's proposed or any of the other (correct) solutions in this thread cost money. Services need to cost money because then there's someone to blame if they fail even if it is more likely that they will fail because they suck. No this doesn't make any loving sense but the people in charge didn't get to where they are by making sense they got there by bullshitting and scapegoating.

Dilbert hire me to come in and P2V that server for $200/hr. I'm an expensive outsider so clearly I'm a better option than you pushing the same loving buttons for your current salary.

I'll do it for $450 an hour three hour minimum. Clearly the more expensive option is going to be better.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

A ticket went out... and never came back.

"Uh, yeah, that awesome user-facing ticket system we have, that was loudly crowed about when it went live last year? The one you've been using to file your tickets, with decent details about the problem (as opposed to trying to explain it to J. Random Helldesk staff on the phone)?

"Welp, turns out that you're the only person in our 450+ person organisation that actually uses it, and so helldesk doesn't actually check for tickets there."

:smithicide:

That *would* explain why it took a week and a half to order more loving toner last month, though...

I had the same thing happen once. Zillions spent on a customized remedy solution that management said we must use. We all goofed around on it so much (filing tickets to each other to go to the bathroom, "Grab me some fries, will you?", etc) that any meaningful data was buried under garbage. Then the novelty wore off and Remedy faded away, fully functioning, into the netherworld of abandoned projects.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

My workplace is overworked. Overworked and stressed due to a management style where a majority of managers have replaced themselves with some poorly formatted spreadsheets. Things came to a head when two engineers had a drunken brawl in their cube farm. As of today we have a no tolerance policy on alcohol. Which is fair enough, but its really only symptom management.

I was talking to the HR Head over a smoke break later on that day and we ended up betting on what day we have our first withdrawal induced psychosis.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Plotterboy posted:

Things came to a head when two engineers had a drunken brawl in their cube farm. As of today we have a no tolerance policy on alcohol. Which is fair enough, but its really only symptom management.
What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

TWBalls posted:

What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

I had 4 beers in the office talking with HR and the owner of the company tonight. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Been taking on the task of cleaning up a project that is finally winding down. It lasted 18 months and is completely disorganized and undocumented, so I gave myself the task of making it possible to go from source -> binary match of GM.
Two full days on it and I think I am about 50% there.

Also for anybody who gives a poo poo: Ubuntu 13.04 ships with ldconfig v2.17, which now checks libraries first for machine then a valid ELF format, so cross compiling is hosed! :suicide:

What giant loving neckbeard decided that was a good idea was beyond me, but it took my a good hour of head scratching to figure out why no symlinks to my cross compiled libraries were being created.

The fix was to yank ldconfig from 12.04 and during compile time set my path to point towards the old ldconfig first in a script. It's messy, but better than nothing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

...today was fun. KB2687423 just showed the dirty code of our (access) programs. (Basically access front ends to SQL back-end) It turns out all "code" in most of our access programs basically behaves like some sort of hilarious, massive exploit.

And naturally, I had to roll back.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TWBalls posted:

Several jobs ago, the day after the 3 hour drunken lunch which has been henceforth referred to as "The Incident", everyone came in to a copy of the employee handbook and an email telling them to sign that they've read it.

My current job has Happy Hour on Friday at 4:30, where there is a generous selection of alcohol and ping-pong.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Friday after 3 is open slather here. But usually people limit themselves on account of having to get home.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

TWBalls posted:

People where Going for pub lunches, and because we are staffed with adult sized children they would come back half cut.

Seriously though, part of the job in my first office job was to stock and maintain the beer fridge. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

TWBalls posted:

The dedicated hosting company whose office my old company squatted in for a year or two (after selling our data center and all our dedicated customers to them) had a keg in the break room. Don't know if they had any rules about when it could be used, but I never noticed anyone abusing it. If people are literally getting drunk at work (as opposed to having a beer with lunch or while working late occasionally), though, a no-alcohol rule is a good idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure once you get to the executive level, silly little office policies like "no alcohol" don't apply to you unless you want them to.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
A ticket came in... at home. I guess.

Suddenly my wireless adapter has decided to stop working on my desktop PC. It'll connect to my network, but it'll occasionally fail to get an IP, and even if it does, or if I set it statically, traffic doesn't seem to want to leave my machine through that adapter.

Going through the usual diagnostics showed nothing new. I even ran the Windows 7 network diagnosis tool to see if that would help - it's occasionally resolved issues that a disable/re-enable of the adapter and reboot didn't in the past. I've reset the entire TCP/IP stack via netsh, and still nothing. Out of desperation, I even ran sfc to make sure there were no weirdities, and a full chkdsk to ensure that nothing was going nuts on my disk.

The lovely USB adapter I've borrowed from my housemate works fine though, after I hunted down the drivers, but I must admit to being confused as to why only this one adapter seems to be affected. If it's a hardware failure, it's an utterly bizarre one, since it seems to be able to connect to the actual wireless network without an issue. If it's a software issue, it's weird that it's limited to this single network adapter.

Any ideas, before I try ripping it out, or going crazy with Windows repair installs? :haw:

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 12, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My boss has crown royal in his desk for us on Friday. I also drink a beer with lunch every once in a while and nobody cares. It helps there is only 6 people at the company though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Speaking of Windows file extension associations, as simple as that system is, Adobe has somehow found a way to gently caress it up. A while back when I updated from Reader 8 to Reader X, the uninstall for Reader 8 didn't actually remove anything, and PDFs continued to open in 8. Trying to change the file association to Reader X manually would do absolutely nothing. Now after my last reboot, PDF files suddenly aren't associated with any program, and can't be associated with anything via Windows Explorer. Open With... is available, but it won't save associations, and it's impossible to choose the Acrobat Reader executable anyway (when you select it with Browse, it doesn't add it to the list of available programs). If you try to associate Reader X with PDF files in the Reader preferences dialog, it runs an installer and then forces you to reboot, but doesn't actually fix anything. Uninstalling Reader X, like Reader 8, doesn't actually remove anything, so I can't reinstall. Seriously, gently caress Adobe. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

EuphrosyneD posted:

The other engineer apparently doesn't know any linux and brought up "well what if you get hit by a bus?" Personally I have no problems using the tools in linux to help the server work better but the place I work is 98% versed windows admins with a touch of linux.

Propped the P2V to the client, "Whoa we can do that?!" guess what the engineer is asking for my support on now... I think the original problem was that someone had a knowledge gap, and that someone didn't want to ask for help.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread