Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mandalay posted:

I'm guessing it's not as good as the first one and expectations were high. It ranked below EU4 in metacritic but still is one of the above-average games this summer: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/pc/metascore?view=condensed

Note that user-score though. And this time it is not about some DRM-policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

KDdidit posted:

What happened with R:TW 2? A quick google just brought up a patch and not sure I want to wade through the whole thread.

I don't follow the thread either, but from my experience its a good game, marred by a lot of bugs. Mostly stuff like terrain not properly loading so you get a big black spot where part of the ground should be, framerate issues seemingly unrelated to whats actually happening onscreen, and things of that nature. I'm not sure if people are hugely exaggerating how bad it is (though, again, it is a good bit of a clusterfuck) or if I'm just uncommonly lucky (Empire: Total War worked perfectly for me at launch when it was unplayable for most people so maybe the Total War gods just love me :v:).

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 7, 2013

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KDdidit posted:

What happened with R:TW 2? A quick google just brought up a patch and not sure I want to wade through the whole thread.

It's performance is completely unpredictable, almost unrelated to your computer, and generally bad. It's full of bugs, some of which are atleast funny. The AI is a mix of weird (endless full stacks of slingers) and nonfunctional (stand still while you leisurely shoot them to death). The UI is the worst thing, Vicky 1 literally had a better UI. The actual battles are terrible and consist of 5 seconds of mosh pit followed by the player who brought less heavy infantry running away. Unit stats are terrible and completely unbalanced, both within factions and between them, it is always optimal to mass heavy infantry.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Goons bought in to their own hype, game is as buggy as any other Total War release, que :qq:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The interface in Rome 2 is soooooo bad, holy poo poo. So bad.

Agean90 posted:

Goons bought in to their own hype, game is as buggy as any other Total War release, que :qq:

It's not just the bugs. There are some pretty serious design flaws that just make it worse than Shogun 2 or Napoleon. It seemed like the TW games were on an upwards trend, so it was easy to think Rome 2 would continue the trend.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

KDdidit posted:

They took everything they learned in the last 10 years and flushed it down the toilet. It's like after CK2, Paradox hyped EUIV to oblivion and then released a game that was as bad as vanilla CK1 (with each game-day taking 5 minutes to cycle through all the AI countries).

Edit: Not to crap on CK1 of course, I've sunk hundreds of hours into it myself, but people would go understandably apeshit if they took such a giant step backwards like that.

Sulla fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 8, 2013

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
After seeing this in the politically loaded maps thread:

I was inspired to (cheat to) create this:

I'm not planning to actually play this game, but it was interesting to see how this would look in HoI2. I gave all the countries cores on their slices of Germany, giving Poland in particular shittons of IC (East Prussia+Silesa+East Germany, plus east poland). In the above image, Belgium feels a little left out so I gave them a slice too. I feel artistically satisfied with the final product.

The original image was from a real Nazi propaganda poster from WW2, trying to scare Germans that the allies had in mind the total partition and complete annihilation of Germany should they win the war. After some searching I couldn't find that image so I used the next best thing from a strange maps website.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The second round of East vs West We are the World contest winners are posted.

quote:

Fifth place winner: sjord1 for the entry Juan Fontanes
The “Spanish Bastille” made this one stand out, but such a bold claim and shift to overthrow the dictatorship would be eye catching.
Your Prize: An event will be made so that when your avatar comes to power, an event will trigger that presents your written background story.

Fourth place winner: VineFynn for the entry Hussien Formosi
We enjoyedCountry specific details, like the economics of the Suez and historic interest to nationalize canals. Shift in ideology due to tragedy, killed later due to own radical policies.
Your Prize: The above plus a personal guard unit that will be formed in your capital when your avatar comes to power, which you will get to name (something tasteful, please! )

Third place winner: Kensai7 for the entry Dimitrios Michailidis
Having an actual living person from the time with political interests was fascinating. Kudos for relating it so far back in time to Greece's present day political issues.
Your Prize: The above plus a national monument placed, in your honor, in the capital of your avatar's nation.

Second place winner: Patter Song for the entry Benjamín de las Casas de Groggo
The religious, communist and yet globally neutral ideology was pretty interesting. A “freedom fighter” of sorts, helped by the masses (or a convenient leader for the masses).
Your Prize: The above plus a bonus added in the economy, military, or diplomacy of the nation, which will be introduced by the character.

First place winner: Red Tsar for the entry Azeem Iqbal
A detailed account of the struggle to shift to a western outlook in a normally independent country, where despite his ousting his legacy lives on.
Your Prize: The above and you will be contacted by our musical developer and composer James Spence as well as Gellert Kereztes (GFK). Together with them, you will be given the opportunity to help partake in composing a musical soundtrack as well as designing the circumstances under which that particular music will be played in East vs West.

East vs West is looking up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

You do realize you've now locked yourself in to Let's Playing this game when it comes out, right?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Wow, I must say that the We Are The World contests are turning out better than I thought they would.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Gonna update the OP later tonight to reflect the obvious fact that EvW is going to be the Game of the Year for 2014.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Patter Song posted:

I almost didn't notice the second-place winner there. Good God, Gorgo.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Eregos posted:

politically loaded maps thread

hook us up.

(please post a link to this thread)

e: vvv thank you gentle goon

fuf fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fuf posted:

hook us up.

(please post a link to this thread)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
OK, quick question for the thread. I accidentally stumbled onto the fact that Hearts of Iron II and III are both on the Mac Appstore, with their expansions included as well. If I were to get one for a laptop, which one would be best in terms of overall gameplay and mod support? In most paradox games I prefer to do as much bullshit diplomacy and espionage as warfare, if that helps narrow things down between the two.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Patter Song posted:

So not only do you get your ~original character (don't steal)~ and their backstory in the game, you also get bonuses added to their nation? :wow:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

So not only do you get your ~original character (don't steal)~ and their backstory in the game, you also get bonuses added to their nation? :wow:

My "original character (don't steal)" happens to be the OP of this thread, thank you very much.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spiderfist Island posted:

OK, quick question for the thread. I accidentally stumbled onto the fact that Hearts of Iron II and III are both on the Mac Appstore, with their expansions included as well. If I were to get one for a laptop, which one would be best in terms of overall gameplay and mod support? In most paradox games I prefer to do as much bullshit diplomacy and espionage as warfare, if that helps narrow things down between the two.

Darkest hour is the correct answer. HoI2 is IMO better than HoI3, but darkest hour is a stand alone mod of HoI2 that is awesome in terms of mods for it and game play but all three are lacking in the spy/diplomacy area.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Darkest hour is the correct answer. HoI2 is IMO better than HoI3, but darkest hour is a stand alone mod of HoI2 that is awesome in terms of mods for it and game play but all three are lacking in the spy/diplomacy area.

Darkest Hour isn't for Mac (I've checked everywhere), so it was just down to those two. I was leaning towards HOI2 just because it's cheaper and I know it'll work fast on my computer without any problems. I'll see if I can pick it up in a few weeks after school's settled down, then!

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

SickZip posted:

It's performance is completely unpredictable, almost unrelated to your computer, and generally bad. It's full of bugs, some of which are atleast funny. The AI is a mix of weird (endless full stacks of slingers) and nonfunctional (stand still while you leisurely shoot them to death). The UI is the worst thing, Vicky 1 literally had a better UI. The actual battles are terrible and consist of 5 seconds of mosh pit followed by the player who brought less heavy infantry running away. Unit stats are terrible and completely unbalanced, both within factions and between them, it is always optimal to mass heavy infantry.

Also, the campaign AI is goofy. The big factions ALL get beaten up and annexed (Carthage, Rome, Egypt) by those random tiny factions. The AI is super aggressive when you're small, but once you have 6-7 cities, I found them to be basically passive and lifeless. I miss M:TW 1 and R:TW 1. I do hope Paradox makes EU:Rome 2, it had a lot of redeeming qualities, but there were some things that were totally bizarre- for example, the whole religious influence thing. Could never figure out what affected the prestige or whatever of the various religions.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

rhazes posted:

I do hope Paradox makes EU:Rome 2, it had a lot of redeeming qualities, but there were some things that were totally bizarre- for example, the whole religious influence thing. Could never figure out what affected the prestige or whatever of the various religions.

Or just straight-up start a new classical antiquity-era franchise. With the requisite save converters, of course...

500BC - 1935, anybody? :getin:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Or just straight-up start a new classical antiquity-era franchise. With the requisite save converters, of course...

500BC - 1935, anybody? :getin:

Steppe Wolfe is the answer, as indeed it is the answer to many of life's questions.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Patter Song posted:

My "original character (don't steal)" happens to be the OP of this thread, thank you very much.

Your entry was actually good, I'm more talking about the lovely nationalist fanwank, like the one where a Prussian general stages a coup in East Germany and reestablishes the German Reich. (I think that one actually got a prize in the first round?)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderfist Island posted:

The smart answer is Darkest Hour, because that's like HOI 2+ and can get the Kaiserreich mod. HoI III is only good if you really want to find out what micromanager's hell is, and while it is really ambitious most everyone agrees it's not as good as HoI II. Except for me, since I've sunk like 400 hours into it according to steam because I am weird like that. It does lack mods though, the only ones I've played that were actually "fun" (this is if you think HoI III is fun to begin with) were the WWI mod and the Historical Plausibility Project. The latter one is great though, I've never broken a game in half so easily before.

EDIT: D'oh, beaten like the Byzantines.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's someone on the Kaiserreich forums right now who's trying to convert it to HoI III- he'd made some good progress with the map last I saw, though I don't know how far he's progressed now, or how he's going to handle the nightmare of Intelligence and Diplomacy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

What is the benefit to having cores in Vicky 2 HoD? I'm playing as Sardinia-Piedmont and took back Lombardia, with France's help, from Austria. I now can enact a decision that gives me a nice amount of prestige and cores on the 3 Lombardia provinces, but I'd also cede Nice and the 2 Savoie provinces to France. Are cores really worth losing 3 provinces?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Omelette du Fromage posted:

What is the benefit to having cores in Vicky 2 HoD? I'm playing as Sardinia-Piedmont and took back Lombardia, with France's help, from Austria. I now can enact a decision that gives me a nice amount of prestige and cores on the 3 Lombardia provinces, but I'd also cede Nice and the 2 Savoie provinces to France. Are cores really worth losing 3 provinces?

No. Do not enact Cavour's Diplomacy, it's a trap. Cavour's Diplomacy is as dumb a thing in game as it was IRL.

Cores prevent your culture people from assimilating away if you don't own the province (the South Germans in your Milan won't become North Italians as long as Austria has cores on Milan...but if they move to Turin they're fair game to assimilate). Cores are also easier to take in war. They don't do much else.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

As often happens in this thread or Paradox games in general, these last posts sent me off to Wikipedia to learn a little about this Cavour fellow I'd never heard of.

History's greatest goon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Worth noting that he's 50 and a few months from death in that picture. Goons reach that look in half as many years.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I'll never stop thinking of Count Cavour as Victorian Gabe Newell.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My steam copy of Victoria II won't ever start properly. It always gets stuck at loading the map data, and when I alt-tab out there's an error message saying that a file is missing. I tried using Steam to repair the install, no luck. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

My steam copy of Victoria II won't ever start properly. It always gets stuck at loading the map data, and when I alt-tab out there's an error message saying that a file is missing. I tried using Steam to repair the install, no luck. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Sure does. Go into the folder for Vic II into map, then the cache folder. Delete everything in it and start the game again.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DStecks posted:

Yes, try deleting all the files in the map cache directory (Paradox Interactive / map / cache)

edit: fb

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I legit thought that picture of Count Cavour was a portrait for East vs West.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

DStecks posted:

Actually, once you delete the map cache like the other have suggested, you need to go into the game folder and launch the game directly (circumventing Steam) one time. After that, then it should work on subsequent loads through the steam menu like normal. For some reason it has trouble building the map cache when launched through Steam for some people.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey everyone, I sure have been silent for a while huh?

I guess you'd want to know how the mod and poo poo has been going.

Well, I am still working on it but I did take a week off due to poo poo in life, you probably know how it goes.

Irregardless, today's work is buildings and trade goods. Which are a bit much to try and come up with all at once.

I think I have a pattern down for them though:

Government Buildings - Tools of Rule and Administration:
Current Lineup : Report System > Ad Climatiser > Autoban Conditions > Detailed Offense Records > Dedicated Local Moderation > Onsite Honeypot Subforum

Land Buildings - rear end in a top hat Gatherings to get more assholes for the fights
Current Lineup : Retort Repository > Monitored "Debate" Threads > Officiate Invasion Recruitment > Seed For Talent > Specialist Immunity > Program of Trollmnesty

Naval Buildings - Data Transferance
Current Lineup : Ham Radio Uplink > Supertwined Dialup > D S Hell > Cable Portal > Fiber Docktic > Quantum Bar for IT Chat

Production Buildings - Tricks of Fraud and Income

Trade Buildings - Content Creation, "Creation", """Creation""", and Transfer

Forts - Hosting Setups

Manufactories are in, as soon as I figure and entire list of trade goods. Uniquye buildings will be completely new and possibly linked to special units or other cool poo poo.

Hopefully I didn't become another vaporware in my absence. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, let's talk about music. Because most of it's gorgeous, but some of it never gets played if you don't play certain nations. Such as "The Byzantine Empire" in CK2, which kicks rear end. :colbert:

Sadly, there's not as much variety in the randomness in the CK2 game files, with most of the base music being weighted at 1 and culture/religion/type-specific tracks weighted at 2 if you're playing such a ruler and 0 if you're not. The interesting ones, though, are:

• Songs of Faith: Weighted at 2x if you're zealous, 1.25x if your piety exceeds 25, and at 0 if you're cynical or a heretic.
  • Songs of the Holy Land: Weighted at 0.1x if a crusade has not been called, 5x if it has been called, and 10x if the crusade has been called and your character is in the crusade target.

Now, in EU4, it's rather different. A lot of songs have been given weights in the file, but most are war dependent. Here are the weightings for the music.

War songs
  • Wartime only: "Ride Forth Victoriously" (1.5x weight), "The End of an Era", "Off to War";
  • 1.5x weight: "Battle of Breitenfield";
  • 1.25x weight: "Battle of Le Panto", "My Kingdom", "The Stage is Set";
  • 0.8x weight: "Open Seas", "Land in Sight";
  • 0.75x weight: "Commerce in the Peninsula";
  • 0.66x weight: "Eire", "In the Streets";
  • Peacetime only: "Among the Poor", "The Sound of Summer", "The Age of Discovery" (1.5x weight if you have a colonist).

Other songs
"De Hominis Dignitate", "King's Court", "Kings in the North", "Machiavelli", "Nighttime".

To be honest, I'm actually disappointed in the lack of variety. Might make a mod to rectify that.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 12, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

No. Do not enact Cavour's Diplomacy, it's a trap. Cavour's Diplomacy is as dumb a thing in game as it was IRL.

Cores prevent your culture people from assimilating away if you don't own the province (the South Germans in your Milan won't become North Italians as long as Austria has cores on Milan...but if they move to Turin they're fair game to assimilate). Cores are also easier to take in war. They don't do much else.

OK good, I was thinking it seemed pretty dumb.

I managed to finally sphere all of Italy and create it. This poo poo is overwhelming now - so many factories! Most of them are getting no efficiency bonuses and the factory screen isn't showing me what the RGOs are in each state and argh. This is going to be a couple hours of crap to unfuck all these states isn't it?

On the plus side, I got cores on Venice now so maybe they'll stop revolting all the loving time.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Patter Song posted:

This is overstating things a bit, as in real life, Cavour got France to join in a war against Austria, without which seizing those territories would have been nearly impossible. I admit the game decision is terrible though - the first time I played for Italian unification I expected it to either give me an alliance with France or straight up start a war between Piedmont/France and Austria, and was tragically disappointed when I read the actual effects. I think I ended up quitting that game in frustration because France and Austria had an undying alliance into 1890 which basically meant I could never risk war with Austria without being stomped on from both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Yeah, it's crazy how unifying Italy is way harder than unifying Germany even though Italy managed it 10 years earlier historically.

• Locked thread