Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

tehschulman posted:

And the guy from The Jeffersons!

Ninjas were very hard to escape in the 90s (just like in real life if you're ever being chased by one)

Saw this on TV the other day and it was still funny as all poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have no idea why, but for some reason last night a memory of this Very Special Made for TV Movie popped into my head:

I had to look up the name, all I could remember was it was about a summer camp, and had (as you can see,) Jennifer Anniston, pre-Friends.

It also had Winnie and the nerdy kid from The Wonder Years, I want to say Urkel, and one of the girls from Full House.

This isn't just Campy 90's poo poo...it's a lovely 90's Camp! :haw:

Haha... dude, in Australia of all places, this would air regularly during the summer school break in the 90s. Some cheesy quote from the film still lives in my brain, when Candace Cameron says that last summer her romance was a flame, and the current summer it is sparks. :mmmhmm:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have no idea why, but for some reason last night a memory of this Very Special Made for TV Movie popped into my head:

I had to look up the name, all I could remember was it was about a summer camp, and had (as you can see,) Jennifer Anniston, pre-Friends.

It also had Winnie and the nerdy kid from The Wonder Years, I want to say Urkel, and one of the girls from Full House.

Wikipedia says that G. Gordon Liddy was in this. Why was G. Gordon Liddy in this? How much coke did it take for that to seem like a good idea?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wonder if the kid looking down is supposed to be mysterious/cool or if he just messed up and everyone was like gently caress it lets go get high.

Midtown
Jun 16, 2013

artdamage posted:

Moonboots!

I was downtown the other day and saw a group of people (adult people) hopping around on these:

They looked extremely unstable. Also, they looked extremely ridiculous.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
About a week ago I mentioned that I'd come into a stack of The Dreaming comics, which is sort of a Sandman spinoff series/ official fanfiction thing. Apart from the gorgeous Dave McKean covers, it's nothing special. However, I promised to scan some of the ads, which are pretty 90's-tastic. Sorry it took a while, the last week has been busier than expected.

Anyway:

Movies/TV

Music

Video games

Misc.

Click for big.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Crow Jane posted:

About a week ago I mentioned that I'd come into a stack of The Dreaming comics, which is sort of a Sandman spinoff series/ official fanfiction thing. Apart from the gorgeous Dave McKean covers, it's nothing special. However, I promised to scan some of the ads, which are pretty 90's-tastic. Sorry it took a while, the last week has been busier than expected.

Anyway:

Music

Sam Goody is the real 90's for me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I can't possibly imagine those being worn without the rainbow socks.

I honestly can't decide whether the dude with palsy or the short guy trying to act tough is goofier. That woman, though. Were zebra pants that just sort of continued up your stomach a 90s thing or is it just her?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Were zebra pants that just sort of continued up your stomach a 90s thing or is it just her?

High waists were totally 90s.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

They are currently coming back like a motherfucker. I hope to god the huge baggy clothing trend doesn't come back because that poo poo was stupid and ugly.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

RillAkBea posted:

Rewatching the Kids in the Hall, I can vouch for this. Weird thing is, Season 1, which was 1989 had their pants at the highest, they notch down a few degrees with every passing season.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Midtown posted:

I was downtown the other day and saw a group of people (adult people) hopping around on these:

This must be one of those trends that pops back up every 20-30 years. Can't you see some dude hopping down the street on spring shoes in Back To The Future's 1955?

Also, how about SKIDZ plaid pants.

Me and my friends must have had tons of pairs of these, although we only wore the shorts, which were slightly less ridiculous looking in retrospect.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I always wondered why there were two ropes dangling from the bottom of the ski lift in the SKIDZ logo.

E: Also, when I was a kid, bandana shirts were the coolest thing in the world. But I can't find a picture.
They were basically like this, only they were a patchwork of a whole bunch of different bandanas (multiple designs and colours).

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Sep 11, 2013

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
MTV was awesome in the early-mid 90's. Especially that summer they had the Mighty Beach House Tiki God do all their bumpers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg701zB6qTg

Then in '97 Hanson and the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys became popular and the downward slide began.

Then this guy happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaE4Wybgl4

Probably one of the first examples of why you should never put the internet in control of anything.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Istari posted:

I always wondered why there were two ropes dangling from the bottom of the ski lift in the SKIDZ logo.
Are you serious or just joking?
(:ssh: It's a car leaving skid marks)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Croccers posted:

Are you serious or just joking?
(:ssh: It's a car leaving skid marks)

I know that it's supposed to be a car. But it's almost a perfect rectangle. And it looks much more like a ski lift than it does a car.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kevyn posted:

Probably one of the first examples of why you should never put the internet in control of anything.

Oh man, I vaguely remember him, and holy poo poo, he has one of the most punch-able faces and personalities.

Didn't he just do his one guaranteed year (or half year?) from his contest and was never heard from again?

Man, mid-90's MTV really was pretty good. I loved the first few seasons of Road Rules. So much better than The Real World.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh man, I vaguely remember him, and holy poo poo, he has one of the most punch-able faces and personalities.

Didn't he just do his one guaranteed year (or half year?) from his contest and was never heard from again?

Man, mid-90's MTV really was pretty good. I loved the first few seasons of Road Rules. So much better than The Real World.

He even has his own wiki article!

Wikipedia posted:

Following his departure from TRL, Camp attempted to parlay his MTV fame into a rock career under the name Jesse & the 8th Street Kidz on the Hollywood Records label. Critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine described the hair metalleaning album as "unbearable"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

Kevyn posted:

Then in '97 Hanson and the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys became popular and the downward slide began.

I didn't click the video or read more posts that might discuss who this was but I immediately knew who it was gonna be.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I don't remember which Super Bowl this commercial was from, but I bet it involved the Buffalo Bills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXQimc6Fiw

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Here's a blast from the past to all you Canadians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2WSULnUyTA - Monster By Mistake

I had a laugh at how corny the show was and most especially the dated 3D models. Not to mention the trumpet playing ghost named Johnny.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Midtown posted:

Oh my god, I saw a bunch of people on those at Venice Beach the other weekend. There was some kind of instructor telling them to bounce around in a big circle or something, it was mesmerizing. They were all tanned and totally ripped so it looks like they just hired actors to look like they were doing it out of choice.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Holy crap I forgot how formative Jenny McCarthy was for me.

This to me pretty much sums up every huge budget movie released in late 1990's:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

My biggest memory of Phantom Menace product tie-ins was the Pepsi cans. Like a good goon I drank a shitload of Mountain Dew at the time, as as such had to stare at Darth Maul's face all summer.

Speaking of MTV, anyone remember Yack Live? Where they'd scroll a live AOL chatroom on the bottom half of the screen while a video played? It was exactly as awful as it sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZL-csV0Wt0

Kevyn has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Sep 12, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They are currently coming back like a motherfucker. I hope to god the huge baggy clothing trend doesn't come back because that poo poo was stupid and ugly.

Yes, I saw a girl about 16 years old wearing some extremely high jeans today at the mall and had to withhold laughter. Similar to this outfit

Mom jeans are back, yo.

I never stopped doing the baggy look. Bring that back already.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Banded collar shirts:

Denim collar shirts:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It may be Buzzfeed, but it's closer to a real article than just their usual aggregated meme list/linkbait:

The Legend Of Legends Of The Hidden Temple, As Told By Kirk Fogg & Olmec

quote:

The contestants had no idea that the men who helped them cross the moat safely at the start of the show were the ones who made them cry if they were lucky enough to get to the Temple Run.
They loved doing that. That was probably the best part of their whole day, Fogg said of the spotters turned Temple Guards.

I guess Legends hired a lot of pedos.

"Uh, yeah, we're looking for a guy who will help little kids in shorts out of some water...where they'll be all wet...and then, later, you get half-naked, wear a mask, and jump out when they don't expect it to just grab them. Yeah, grab them, and drag them away into a back room."

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Sep 12, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kevyn posted:

Speaking of MTV, anyone remember Yack Live? Where they'd scroll a live AOL chatroom on the bottom half of the screen while a video played? It was exactly as awful as it sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZL-csV0Wt0

This is a great example of how the internet culture of today is radically different from the internet culture of the 90's. Nobody would be stupid enough to do this in 2013.

...I would hope.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DrBouvenstein posted:

It may be Buzzfeed, but it's closer to a real article than just their usual aggregated meme list/linkbait:

I guess Legends hired a lot of pedos.

"Uh, yeah, we're looking for a guy who will help little kids in shorts out of some water...where they'll be all wet...and then, later, you get half0-naked, wear a mask, and jump out when they don't expect it to just grab the,. Yeah, grab them, and drag them away into a back room."

I'd love a job where my literal job description was "scare the little shits and make them cry"

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Sep 12, 2013

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

This is a great example of how the internet culture of today is radically different from the internet culture of the 90's. Nobody would be stupid enough to do this in 2013.

...I would hope.

Ignoring the fact that it's basically every single youtube comment section ever made, there's definitely still companies out there that are really stupid when it comes to the internet - like the time 4Chan voted to name a new flavor of Mountain Dew to "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong", or that time we sent Pitbull to Alaska.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

leidend posted:

Yes, I saw a girl about 16 years old wearing some extremely high jeans today at the mall and had to withhold laughter. Similar to this outfit

Mom jeans are back, yo.

Don't complain about high waisted jeans! High waisted jeans = getting to wear comfy underwear instead of low cut stuff again. There's less of a chance when bending over of showing rear end crack too. Also, it means that there's more belly coverage, so more skin in other areas can be shown, specifically: underboob! Crop tops look okay with high waisted jeans and then there's the whole underboob thing.

I personally just wear mine with a large baggy sweater over a long tank top because I'm a fat goony gently caress, but it's nice to not have to worry about whether a top is riding up. It's convenient as gently caress.

Also, baggy jeans are a bitch to wear as a woman, without a belt. They also get ratty at the bottom a lot more quickly because they drag unless you cuff them and look like a dick bag with your Tripps or JNCOs cuffed.

DrHerpington has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Sep 12, 2013

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Some of this is covered in the article, but here's a podcast interviewing Kirk Fogg and a Hidden Temple winner. It's cool to get a contestant's perspective on the whole thing, and they cover a little about the other Nick game shows as well.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

I live in Portland and I see these often enough to notice them, so they're definitely "coming back"

good god I wish they weren't, though

edit: in all fairness, I also see twenty-something girls with stupid haircuts wearing the dresses that late-80's grandmas made for their granddaughters to wear to church on an obnoxiously regular basis, so my perspective is fairly skewed.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Sep 12, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DrHerpington posted:

Don't complain about high waisted jeans! High waisted jeans = getting to wear comfy underwear instead of low cut stuff again. There's less of a chance when bending over of showing rear end crack too. Also, it means that there's more belly coverage, so more skin in other areas can be shown, specifically: underboob! Crop tops look okay with high waisted jeans and then there's the whole underboob thing.

I personally just wear mine with a large baggy sweater over a long tank top because I'm a fat goony gently caress, but it's nice to not have to worry about whether a top is riding up. It's convenient as gently caress.

Also, baggy jeans are a bitch to wear as a woman, without a belt. They also get ratty at the bottom a lot more quickly because they drag unless you cuff them and look like a dick bag with your Tripps or JNCOs cuffed.

A crop top with high waisted jeans is a waste. Upper abs are as exciting as an elbow.

I feel awkward posting opinions about fashion though since I basically dress like Jesse Pinkman. He looked like he stepped out of the 90s in earlier seasons

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gann Jerrod posted:

Some of this is covered in the article, but here's a podcast interviewing Kirk Fogg and a Hidden Temple winner. It's cool to get a contestant's perspective on the whole thing, and they cover a little about the other Nick game shows as well.
Moira Qwirk (Mo) from GUTS got interviewed on that same podcast. She's done voice work for Skyrim and XCOM recently and she's also a stand up comedian.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

These babies and drumsticks were easily the best kid ice cream treats ever.

Can't mention the Flinstones without mentioning these:

10 million strong...and growwwingggg.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Holy crap I forgot how formative Jenny McCarthy was for me.
Why, did you get smallpox?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

leidend posted:

Mom jeans are back, yo.

They're just gonna get higher and higher until overalls are back. High-waisted shorts are cute though, so it's okay.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why, did you get smallpox?

Well done.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Coffee And Pie posted:

They're just gonna get higher and higher until overalls are back. High-waisted shorts are cute though, so it's okay.

We're gonna see kids wear pants like this fella in the next 10-20 years. With geek-chic glasses of course.

• Locked thread