Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://punkadiddle.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-8-path-of.html

this guy is cool

quote:

And this is the part I can’t seem to get my head around: the fans know that it’s terribly written. They know and they don’t care. Why don’t they care? I don’t know why they don’t care. After finishing Wotviii, and after writing most of this post, I googled for some reviews; and I found this sfsite piece by James Seidman:

In the book, Jordan succeeds in carrying forward his stunning world building in this detailed story of a struggle between good and evil … Yet, after reading A Path of Daggers, I found myself wishing that Jordan had succeeded in his original goal of completing the story in eight books, rather than the current estimate of twelve. While the novel certainly advances the plot of the series, it fails to really introduce many new themes to keep the story fresh…. I don't want to leave the impression that A Path of Daggers is a bad book or boring. It's a piece of excellent writing that is part of an excellent series. However, this particular piece of The Wheel of Time, taken by itself, seems to drag on. It seems like Jordan could have focused on progressing certain plot lines faster to give more of a sense of progress. Fortunately, several things happen at the very end of the book that suggest that the ninth book will again be refreshing and different. I would suggest that readers with enough patience wait for the ninth book to come out, then read it back-to-back with A Path of Daggers. This will probably hide any of the book's shortcomings and lead to a more pleasurable reading experience.

This is, I think, one of the most astonishing reviews I have ever read. Seidman describes the book as ‘stunning’ and uses the superlative ‘excellent’ twice despite conceding that the novel is stale, draggy and possessed of unpleasant shortcomings. He then suggests how a reader might get through the volume in such a way as to camouflage precisely those shortcomings. Assuming that ‘stunning’ is not being deployed in its abattoir bolt-gun sense, and putting aside the theory that ‘excellent’ is used sarcastically, this amounts to a reviewer saying ‘vol 8 is an excellent novel, although, obviously in a poo poo way, but maybe volume 9 won’t be so poo poo, and maybe, if you swallow them both together, that as yet unwritten book will be sweet enough to disguise the lovely taste of this one.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

dude i knew during the war was big into the 40k novels

they call them 40k because that's how much each one weighs

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
fantasy nerds are terrible, we'll be back with more after these messages

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

fantasy nerds are terrible, we'll be back with more after these messages

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

lol @ the ending of BSG

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Nascar posted:

lol @ the ending of BSG

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah it's pretty bad

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Hashtag Nascar posted:

lol @ the ending of BSG

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
just pretend that during the credits of the last episode it pulls out to reveal tigh before he lost his eyeball laying in bed with a dream bubble and a sleeping cap like super mario 2

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I genuinely thought that the guy who played tigh was mr lahey until I searched him on imdb a little into season 3 and was proper disappointed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bsg was terrible

I finished up terminator which was a good show and I wish they hadn't cancelled it.

under the dome is pretty funny.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
under the dome switches from tolerable network scifi to lol what is this poo poo about 10 times each episode

uh-oh barbie you'd better keep your secret because there's a lot of dramatic tension there and oh wait everybody knows you killed that dude and nobody cares please just don't lie to your girlfriend anymore maybe instead you could try taking some photos with this NOKIA LUMIA

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

angry_keebler posted:

try taking some photos with this NOKIA LUMIA

Product placement in shows is nearly always eyewateringly bad tho :o: The Nissan LEAF in Fringe was 'lol what' .

<edit> also lol

...NOPE

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 12, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

angry_keebler posted:

under the dome switches from tolerable network scifi to lol what is this poo poo about 10 times each episode

so it was written by stephen king, then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like that evil hank's son is crazy instead of a brooding teen

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

angry_keebler posted:

uh-oh barbie you'd better keep your secret because there's a lot of dramatic tension there and oh wait everybody knows you killed that dude and nobody cares please just don't lie to your girlfriend anymore maybe instead you could try taking some photos with this NOKIA LUMIA

reminder that the book is 1074 pages too long

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Product placement in shows is nearly always eyewateringly bad tho :o: The Nissan LEAF in Fringe was 'lol what' .

*zooming closeup of Verizon phone*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hashtag Nascar posted:

lol @ the ending of BSG

"writers just copped out and basically said 'uh, well, god did it'"
"hey hey hey. why do you have to be such an ~angry atheist~? who says it has to be god, hmm? maybe it's just super-advanced space aliens. guess you must not be a very good atheist if you're jumping to god as a conclusion.*"
"dude that basically just means it's 'god a wizard did it'"

*literally a real argument i saw in defense of bsg's ending

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bsg's ending owns because it drives internet atheists crazy

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm okay with stuff if it makes a small minority of people on the internet angry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i fuckin love bsg so much, i wish i could live there abd be friends with me gaeta b/c he was my fav

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
watching the episode of tng where the lieutenant wants to bone data. why are the data is autistic episodes so hilarious?

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 12, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

why are the data is autistic episodes so hilarious?
because they hit so close to home for you

MancXVI posted:

king is finally tightening up his writing, i see

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
data is the loving bombdiggity haters shall have their positronic brain scrambled and then sent to the past but its actually a holodeck within a holodeck.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

MancXVI posted:

under the dome would have been a relatively better book if it had been finished and published when king originally thought of it because it suffers from being an all government is poo poo anyone that trusts the man is a nazi allegory that really feels like it needs to be set in the 70s

also the dome should either have been a military experiment gone wrong or a malfunctioning piece of the tommyknocker's spaceship instead of a space antfarm

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
finally saw oblivion

review: eh

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

finally saw oblivion

review: eh

liked the setting and tone. the twist seemed pretty obvious early on. tom cruise is a pretty good actor despite being batshit irl.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"hey hey hey. why do you have to be such an ~angry atheist~? who says it has to be god, hmm? maybe it's just super-advanced space aliens. guess you must not be a very good atheist if you're jumping to god as a conclusion.*"

did they run out of money or something and have to end it abruptly? there were several storylines were not addressed. spoiler tagging this i guess even tho it's old: the 8th cyclon they mentioned then never mentioned again (daniel i think?), unboxing the lucy lawless model then not really talking about her again, resolving the zombie/angel poo poo about whatever starbuck is, probably a couple other storylines i can't remember

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

rigberry enema posted:

did they run out of money or something and have to end it abruptly? there were several storylines were not addressed. spoiler tagging this i guess even tho it's old: the 8th cyclon they mentioned then never mentioned again (daniel i think?), unboxing the lucy lawless model then not really talking about her again, resolving the zombie/angel poo poo about whatever starbuck is, probably a couple other storylines i can't remember

lovely show doesnt tie up loose ends so they can have a future season/spinoffs film at 11

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

holy crap netflix has gotten rid of a lot of poo poo from their streaming section

like, the quiet earth and a boy and his dog are both gone, and my queue or MyList or whatever is about half as long as it was last time i checked

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

rigberry enema posted:

during the end bits of the last episode Starbuck is talking to lee, he turns away while talking and waits for a response and looks to see where she is and she has just disappeared into thin air lmao, so she was probably an angel whose dad was jimi Hendrix, also the unboxed cylon is around for a while to spot the final five cylons

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dur posted:

holy crap netflix has gotten rid of a lot of poo poo from their streaming section

like, the quiet earth and a boy and his dog are both gone, and my queue or MyList or whatever is about half as long as it was last time i checked

a while back some kind of major contract expired that covered thousands of titles and took down a significant fraction of their catalog in one fell swoop

I liked oblivion and it does look goddamn beautiful even if the story doesn't quite hang together and is ripe for nerdy nitpicking

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

dur posted:

netflix doesnt take poo poo down, netflixs agreement expires and the copyright owner decides to not upgrade or demands 10x the amount of money to renew

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the term "deus ex machina" originally referred to literally lowering a statue of a god ("deus") onto the stage with a crane ("ex machina)" to fuckin wrap up all the loose ends in your play. this was such a bad, stupid way to end a play that the ancient greeks had a special word for it.

bsg went full-bore on a cliche that was already tired three thousand years ago

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

netflix doesnt take poo poo down, netflixs agreement expires and the copyright owner decides to not upgrade or demands 10x the amount of money to renew

gently caress, that's some bullshit right there

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

dur posted:

gently caress, that's some bullshit right there

basically what happens is a bunch of idiots own a huge catalog of old films that're only making pennies per year, netflix comes along signs the catalogue and makes them crazy money, then idiots think their catalog is worth crazy money instead of realizing netflix is what makes it worth anything, demand more than it's making to break their netflix contract, start their own dedicated streaming service which digs them in a giant financial hole, then two years later netflix signs the catalog again for less than the initial contract

it'll be back

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Breakfast All Day posted:

basically what happens is a bunch of idiots own a huge catalog of old films that're only making pennies per year, netflix comes along signs the catalogue and makes them crazy money, then idiots think their catalog is worth crazy money instead of realizing netflix is what makes it worth anything, demand more than it's making to break their netflix contract, start their own dedicated streaming service which digs them in a giant financial hole, then two years later netflix signs the catalog again for less than the initial contract

it'll be back

the hilarious thing is the way upper management works, the idiots who decided to start their own streaming service probably left before it crashed and burned, and proudly list that initiative on their cv as they continue to fail upwards in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Stymie posted:

bsg's ending owns because it drives internet atheists crazy

well seeing as how bsg was created by a mormon who put a bunch of mormon poo poo into the original idea for the project

• Locked thread