Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'd re-upload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Guess youtube doesn't like it when you upload directly from an iphone, let's try this again!!

Every time people ask what autox is like and are like "eh" about the max speeds being so low I'm just going to show them this video from my roomates first time ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLh2bizPU8c

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Every time people ask what autox is like and are like "eh" about the max speeds being so low I'm just going to show them this video from my roomates first time ever:

I guess if you're in a Z06...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Muffinpox posted:

Guess youtube doesn't like it when you upload directly from an iphone, let's try this again!!

I'm trying to convince my brother to partake in it, I'm going to use this video as opposed to my shitbox.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I guess if you're in a Z06...

Nah, just if you're running super sports or something comparable. On that course every car but the miatas had to go full threshold braking into the stop box to scrub enough speed to make a 1g kink at the end, his giggling is when we hit the kink. A bit after "goddamnit" he says "I had no idea you could brake or turn that hard on a street tire."

I have a similar one from my exes first time in my S2000 on Direzza Z1s, his is just far funnier.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 12, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Muffinpox posted:

Nah, just if you're running super sports or something comparable. On that course every car but the miatas had to go full threshold braking into the stop box to scrub enough speed to make a 1g kink at the end, his giggling is when we hit the kink. A bit after "goddamnit" he says "I had no idea you could brake or turn that hard on a street tire."

I have a similar one from my exes first time in my S2000 on Direzza Z1s, his is just far funnier.
I have the same experience when people ride in my lovely E30s. Always super surprised at how hard its being driven and the grip.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Woke up this morning and took the Miata on the off chance it could be a faster course... Arrived to an unplanned circuitcross.

poo poo. Yeah.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

Woke up this morning and took the Miata on the off chance it could be a faster course... Arrived to an unplanned circuitcross.

poo poo. Yeah.

What's a circuitcross? You mean it was basically a road course (like San Diego)?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On a road course with elements to keep the speeds down.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Like cone slaloms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgF1o6A8xM&t=15s

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Circuitcrosses are the best. Our year end event is always on one, I can't wait to actually do it with a car I'm familiar with and on sticky tires. Last year I had owned my M3 for 12 hours, and the year before was my first time ever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This isn't me, but this was yesterday's course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEA2SispWaQ

For reference, all of our previous autocrosses have been within this red box:

I think the guy who runs the place was doing the "first hit's for free" so he can get the club to rent out the full track for an autox. :v:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
POV of manhandling the S2k in the wet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9JmyP2wF6M

edit: I actually have some POVs from the Z06 and a Type 65 if you guys want to see them. I only bothered putting them on FB.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're in eastern NC or south Virginia, THSCC is putting on a circuit cross again for $45. I'm not making promises, but last time we did 7 runs on a 63 second course.

http://msreg.us/THSCC2013NONPOINTS

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

last time we did 7 runs on a 63 second course.

http://msreg.us/THSCC2013NONPOINTS

This may sounds like a stupid question, but how do you pull that off? We've been having issues trying to get more runs locally, and I'm looking for outside inspiration.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Low attendance numbers and telling people that they're working twice. Last time we had 50 people show up.

In contrast, the last time we had a lot of runs it was 6 runs in a 30 second parking lot.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Wait, 6 runs on a 63 sec course is good? We typically get a minimum of 6 runs on a course that's usually between 55-65 seconds, though we usually manage 8 runs plus a fun run or two. Between 60-80 people usually.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Hmm. 4 runs, sometimes 5 on a 60ish course. Usually 150 people.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
If there are more than 50+ people I think it's silly to make people work both heats. The local autox clubs that I drive with easily do 8/10+ runs with fun runs afterwards with 50+ people regularly attending. Organization is key and making half the people switch to corner working every heat just delays things even more. Corner worker switch over really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Any more you are just wasting time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Low attendance and a mile long course with a bunch of willing participants kinda called for only having two heats.

We average about 80 and split it into 3 run groups; however, we lost most of our airport sites so it sucks.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

We do it by having marshals be replaced while the track is live. Thankfully our lot has a layout that allows this. Usually there are 6 marshal stations, with 2 people per station, one person on clipboard assigning marshal stations, and sometimes a position for whiteboard recording. Everyone marshals after every run.

Basically, report to the dude with the clipboard after your run, they'll send you to a station, and whoever has been at the station the longest returns to the paddock. You're fine to make adjustments to your setup after your run before marshaling, just try not to take too long. Typically you're not marshaling for more than 10 minutes at a time, if that. If you don't marshal as many times as you run, the difference between the two (say you did 8 runs, and 6 marshaling sessions, resulting in a difference of 2) is the number of runs we're going to DNF. And we DNF fastest -> slowest, and don't post the times for the DNF'd run.

It works pretty well, though I tend to spend my days in the timing tent, herding beginners, etc rather than marshaling.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's an interesting setup, but I can see how it would fall apart when people have to walk 10 minutes to get to the worker station.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Hmm. 4 runs, sometimes 5 on a 60ish course. Usually 150 people.

How long is your event? We can get in 8 runs in a 6 hour event with 150 cars including lunch. It more has to do with how many times you switch out workers and the spacing on your cars if the course is long. We'll have 4-5 cars out at once on an 80s course.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

How long is your event? We can get in 8 runs in a 6 hour event with 150 cars including lunch. It more has to do with how many times you switch out workers and the spacing on your cars if the course is long. We'll have 4-5 cars out at once on an 80s course.

I'm there at 6am (after a 1 or 2 hour drive, depending on the site). Reg/course setup starts at 6:30. Course walks as soon as course is setup. Reg closes at 8. All hands meeting at 9. Try to have first car off at 9:30. ~2 hour heats, usually 3 heats. Worker change over usually takes a half hour because people don't hustle. No lunch break, just about everyone has a off heat. We usually end between 3 and 4, do audit, trophies, and pack up. I'm usually leaving the site between 5 and 5:30.

We space cars at 20 second intervals, course permitting (99% of the time). We don't have grid space for 3 heats, so there is always a switch where first heat needs to vacate so that 3rd heat can get into grid.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My local SCCA just had their trailer stolen together with their timing system and pretty much all their other kit.

More info: http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=46827

I'm sure they'd appreciate any leads on where they might be able to pick up a replacement timer/generator/speaker system etc. on the cheap. They're great guys and run a very tight ship, so I hate to see this happen to them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone ever used/heard of yoko A032R soft compound tires? They seem to be an older model but I can find very little info on them.

I picked up a set of 16.6lb 17x9s for my M3 which happen to have these tires. It seems like they could be decent sticky rain tires given the tread grooving, they remind me of an R888.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Predecessor of the A048 and available in both soft (for autocross) and hard (for track) compounds. When I first started autocrossing in about 2003 they were popular in my local area on the smaller cars like the Miatas and Civics. If you're looking for an age approximation, they are the contemporary of the Kumho Victoracer V700 and Hoosier A3S03.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
A032R are an r-compound tire, I don't know how they compare against the current crop of top tier streets but they'll be pretty quick regardless.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That would explain the 03 build date on the sidewall. Guess I'll have to try them and see how they grip.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My new machine gun turret is working well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLdnJGKDuY

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That course looks like a lot of fun.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Whats everyone's preferred way of dealing with cone marks? I just switched to a silver car, and it seems like it gets cone marks just from showing up to the event.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Phone posted:

My new machine gun turret is working well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLdnJGKDuY

How did safety get away with that turn at 1:13? Looked like a car eater if it was wet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It did eat a few karts.

It was pretty funny because it was designed to slow everybody down, but in practice you could kill it through there and get into 3rd much faster. :v:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Was course working right in front of a corvette spinning out into the side of a parked (and thankfully unmanned) trailer. Completely hosed up the front and rear passenger side suspension and took out a bunch of the fiberglass side panels. The trailer is ok but the car is pretty well done...

It was definitely what we considered a safe distance away but the guy was gunning so hard that his momentum just carried him. He was going way too fast for the slalom and probably lost it when he was feathering the throttle. Since I was the closest corner worker to it I saw the whole thing and knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as it started.

Just a heads up that this isn't 100% safe and its better to go a bit slower than be balls out crazy. It's the "Whose Line is it Anyway" of car racing, everything is made up and the points don't matter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rabble posted:

Was course working right in front of a corvette spinning out into the side of a parked (and thankfully unmanned) trailer. Completely hosed up the front and rear passenger side suspension and took out a bunch of the fiberglass side panels. The trailer is ok but the car is pretty well done...

It was definitely what we considered a safe distance away but the guy was gunning so hard that his momentum just carried him. He was going way too fast for the slalom and probably lost it when he was feathering the throttle. Since I was the closest corner worker to it I saw the whole thing and knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as it started.

Just a heads up that this isn't 100% safe and its better to go a bit slower than be balls out crazy. It's the "Whose Line is it Anyway" of car racing, everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Bad course design and safety stewardship. This shouldn't be possible on any well designed course. I was amazing to me as a safety steward how poorly some courses were designed with fairly obvious hazards and how hostile people were toward you pointing it out. This is why I didn't re-renew my safety stewards status despite the cushy work assignment.

si
Apr 26, 2004

nm posted:

Bad course design and safety stewardship. This shouldn't be possible on any well designed course. I was amazing to me as a safety steward how poorly some courses were designed with fairly obvious hazards and how hostile people were toward you pointing it out. This is why I didn't re-renew my safety stewards status despite the cushy work assignment.

Indeed. I had very similar experiences in RallyX. You have to account for the distance that the guy who is "gunning it" needs. To say that it was a safe distance away means that. Otherwise, it wasn't a safe distance away at all. Especially around something like a slalom where you expect people to go in hot and lose it on the 3rd cone. You need a LOT of runoff space for something like that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, this looks like a lot of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5i_46l7q0

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Stay off cam, and don't you dare drive this car as it was designed. I mean, I get that they're just trying to keep idiots from overdriving an expensive car into a lamp post but what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
To say "I drove a ferrari!"

The FREE VW experience let me drive cars twice as hard as that.

• Locked thread