Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

Looks Orcish.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The first thing I tend to compare China to for people who ask me "What was it like?!?!?" is a goblin camp from Lord of the Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

But they don't use this script here in Henan...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Of course not, just like modern orcs don't use the modified Sindarin script that Sauron originally wrote Black Speech in. Duh.

lemoz
Dec 20, 2011

I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly, I'll beat you unfairly first.
Alright so I hosed up when I made a new thread.. my bad.

Recent events *see thread title* have thrust me in to the position of vulnerability and I figure the best place to turn is here. I don't know any Mandarin and I am a middle class 21 year old going to school for EE. One Day I made a passing joke about going to china for an internship, couple hundred beers later and I find my self buying my Air Fare. I've come to terms with the fact I will be in china now I just want to make it the best possible experience. I've read the China thread so don't tell me to lurk more. What I'm looking for is people to help me have the best possible time here in Beijing. My internship is at a financial analytics company they are paying me and providing housing.

What I know so far:
-I'm going to live my my 6 month duration in the following area:
-Xia Jia Yuan, Chaoyang District, Beijing -- Located near Taiyanggong subway stop
-I will have a cell phone upon arrival but have no idea of the cell number yet.
-I'm going to Arrive in PEK Oct 4th
-I'm Working 40 hours a week

Whose in Beijing during that time so that we can meet up and have good times?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magna Kaser posted:

pfft like the "traditional" characters Taiwan uses are themselves barbaric, simplified and lacking all the feel of true characters.

Ah, true and unadulterated. Only thing better would be if it was on some sort of bone.

Monster Hunter is a pretty cool game.

It's easier going from traditional to simplified so it's not that hard. A lot of commonly used characters don't change and some of the ones that do, ge, 個 to 个, are pretty nice.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

The first thing I tend to compare China to for people who ask me "What was it like?!?!?" is a goblin camp from Lord of the Rings.

I love this, but I watched the 2012 Judge Dredd movie recently and from now on the first thing I will compare China to is Megacity One.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong is already full of giant blocks like that. We even have a huge estate of like 50 blocks that's called City One.

Livin' the cyberpunk lifestyle here.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Hong Kong is already full of giant blocks like that. We even have a huge estate of like 50 blocks that's called City One.

Livin' the cyberpunk lifestyle here.

I lived in city one when it was cool. Now it's an overpriced hell hole for hipsters and newlyweds whose parents put down payments down for them. There's probably ok people there too, though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah considering the average floor plan there is like 300 square feet, it would not be a fun place to live. It's like the quintessential 'starter home' place.

A 'starter flat' is this weird idea invented by the absolutely property-crazy Hong Kong culture that you need to buy a home, ANY home, as soon as you can possibly afford it. So they have these tiny, miserable places that used to be somewhat affordable to people in their late 20s.

But I think I saw a 300 square foot City One place go for like 3 mil last year so bye bye to that.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Ok here we go.

One of my biggest beefs is people telling me I'm "wasting money" by renting an apartment and not buying it. Ok, not even considering the fact it's rude to presume somebody can "just buy" anything, it's also moronic that the two people who have said that to me cannot afford a house themselves. Mommy and daddy got it for them. This property market is probably the most insane thing I have ever seen. As an econ major I needed solid personal experiential evidence about required market intervention and this is it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Don't worry about it. You'll be vindicated when they're underwater on their mortgage and screaming and crying for the government to do something and why did they start this housing plan to add 500k new units over 10 years?! :qq:

The "renting is throwing away money/just making your landlord rich!" stuff is literally identical to what Americans (who are now underwater/foreclosed on) were saying in 2007. I'll bet they were saying the same thing in Hong Kong in 1996.

I just can't believe nobody here gets it yet. There was some new ridiculous 'luxury' project that started selling in Hung Hom on Monday and there were still lines out the door to buy. This was mere hours after the HKMA said "please for the love of god stop buying things, the Fed is ending quantitative easing and you're all going to be poor."

I'm so excited for it all to come crashing down. I'm going to bottle the sweet sweet middle class homeowners' tears because that year will be an excellent vintage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mo' externally pegged currency mo' problems.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I just can't believe nobody here gets it yet. There was some new ridiculous 'luxury' project that started selling in Hung Hom on Monday and there were still lines out the door to buy. This was mere hours after the HKMA said "please for the love of god stop buying things, the Fed is ending quantitative easing and you're all going to be poor."

Four "luxury apartment" complexes are opening in Yuen Long with the first, called The Reach (I think because it sounds like 'Rich'), almost finished. The traffic is already a nightmare in rush hour and then all the rich people coming in bringing more cars will make it worse. I will also be laughing when it crashes because owners planning on staying in their homes will at least have a mortgage they could afford before whereas greedy landlords and developers who are trying to flip quick apartments for a profit will be left weeping. I'll be loving it if I can get a decent place for 1.5 mil that was going for 4 this year.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Aren't all mortgages in Hong Kong adjustable rate though? Once QE stops and interest rates go up, there will be a lot of people totally hosed.

And I don't think that many people buying 'luxury' in Yuen Long are rich car-owning types. More like middle class people who spend 55% of their income on a mortgage. I could be wrong though.

As for ridiculous development names, my favorite one I've encountered so far is 'The Billionaire' in Kowloon City.

Actually, slightly better than that is the tower right across the street from that, 'The Billionaire Royale.'

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Aren't all mortgages in Hong Kong adjustable rate though? Once QE stops and interest rates go up, there will be a lot of people totally hosed.

Ok, if that's true then the fact that the standard down payment is 10% is even more hosed up. What the hell are you paying for by putting down such a punishing amount of cash on the barrel if you can still have your interest rate ratcheted up at any time? I'm going to have a stroke here.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The Kajillionaire Cash Money Imperial King Estate Mansions

Buy now and get complimentary maid-beating service for one year.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I once lived in a modern development in Hangzhou that was called 'Boss 港' - the Boss Harbour; I felt most un-bosslike whenever i had to tell someone my address.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tacky cheesy names make me sick :barf: Especially when you have names like Beijing Beverly Hills or something stupid.

VideoTapir posted:

The Kajillionaire Cash Money Imperial King Estate Mansions

Buy now and get complimentary maid-beating service for one year.

I know a few people who beat their maids, then paid 500,000 HKD to hire a lawyer and had the case dismissed.

"But, but... I was really really mad, the hot water bath for my baby was too hot and scalded his foot! I don't deserve to go to Jail" :qq:

It was disgusting to listen to the story as a story as secondary source. Sometimes I really really hate rich people in Hong Kong. For gently caress's sakes, life is already easy enough, don't be a douche.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong Kong could use some cultural revolution.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Hong Kong could use some cultural revolution.

:staredog:

We had one in 67 and it was not pretty. Home made bombs, killing a radio DJ, and heavy martial law. That's why a lot of older Hongers hates communists. During that time, my mom was a nurse at a hospital and the senior head nurse was an old white lady. The hospital patients were reading Mao's little red book and went all nationalistic, screaming for the expulsion of foreign devils. My mom and her coworkers formed a human shield wall absorbing severalblows from people who they knew for a long time :smith:

After the riots, some of the patients just pretend nothing happened: "Nurse can I have some water please?" :bravo:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

After the riots, some of the patients just pretend nothing happened: "Nurse can I have some hot water please?" :bravo:

Fixed that for you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

We had one in 67 and it was not pretty. Home made bombs, killing a radio DJ, and heavy martial law. That's why a lot of older Hongers hates communists. During that time, my mom was a nurse at a hospital and the senior head nurse was an old white lady. The hospital patients were reading Mao's little red book and went all nationalistic, screaming for the expulsion of foreign devils. My mom and her coworkers formed a human shield wall absorbing severalblows from people who they knew for a long time :smith:

After the riots, some of the patients just pretend nothing happened: "Nurse can I have some water please?" :bravo:

That's some Stand Alone Complex poo poo right there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Tacky cheesy names make me sick :barf: Especially when you have names like Beijing Beverly Hills or something stupid.

My complex is named 国嘉新视界 which just annoys the gently caress out of me when I tell people the name and have to tell them the jia and shi aren't the jia and shi they'd assume :emo:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

caberham posted:

Not pretty because it didn't get off the ground, maybe.

The same thing can be said for the rest of China. The problem with the cultural revolution was that it wasn't thorough enough. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Throatwarbler posted:

Not pretty because it didn't get off the ground, maybe.

The same thing can be said for the rest of China. The problem with the cultural revolution was that it wasn't thorough enough. :colbert:

If it happened now, the targets would be a lot more obvious. (The domestic ones, I mean. Most of us foragers aren't any more hosed than we would have been the first time around.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

lemoz posted:

Recent events *see thread title* have thrust me in to the position of vulnerability and I figure the best place to turn is here. I don't know any Mandarin and I am a middle class 21 year old going to school for EE. One Day I made a passing joke about going to china for an internship, couple hundred beers later and I find my self buying my Air Fare. I've come to terms with the fact I will be in china now I just want to make it the best possible experience. I've read the China thread so don't tell me to lurk more. What I'm looking for is people to help me have the best possible time here in Beijing. My internship is at a financial analytics company they are paying me and providing housing.

What I know so far:
-Xia Jia Yuan, Chaoyang District, Beijing -- Located near Taiyanggong subway stop

Can't believe no one responded to you yet. Dude, you'll be fine. Just hope you didn't have to pay anyone to be able to come to China for an internship. Learn some survival Chinese.

lemoz
Dec 20, 2011

I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly, I'll beat you unfairly first.
Appreciate it. Do you have any websites where I can learn some of this "survival" Chinese? I know that I'm going to be fine but what I really want is some people I can hang with starting week 1. My university has many Chinese students. Those who refuse to make friends with natives or at least attempt to are generally reclusive for their entire time at the university. They have 4 years and I have 6 months, so it is the up most importance that I start exploring the city.

lemoz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 12, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

lemoz posted:

Appreciate it. Do you have any websites where I can learn some of this "survival" Chinese?

Get on QQ or something and i'll fire off some materials that don't suck

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

lemoz posted:

Appreciate it. Do you have any websites where I can learn some of this "survival" Chinese? I know that I'm going to be fine but what I really want is some people I can hang with starting week 1. My university has many Chinese students. Those who refuse to make friends with natives or at least attempt to are generally reclusive for their entire time at the university. They have 4 years and I have 6 months, so it is the up most importance that I start exploring the city.

Lots of Beijing goons too, it seems like you have a nice set up, legal work, nice apartment in the city centre. Any help from past alumni or campus? Thought they normally have a orientation or some sort of resource guide for newbies.

MY GIRLFRIEND is going to Beijing for a training seminar Mid 2 weeks after your landing so I will go there for the weekend and set up a goon meet.

If you have a smartphone you should have some sort of data plan right? If not, the OP is pretty helpful, it's too bad there is no Beijing goon city guide :smith: Join the wechat channel and you can also hang out with us goons.

There's also the China LAN thread for garbage posting/random venting colourful discussion

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

caberham posted:

There's also the China LAN thread for garbage posting/random venting colourful discussion harmonious and thoughtful discussion within the posting sphere.

fixed

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Can you top Brad Pitt House? A lovely condo in Bangkok? Probably re-named now, but it was there for a while.

http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/houses-apartments-and-condos/26476-brad-pitt-house-thong-lo-bkk.html

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Going to be in the boonies of Beijing for the weekend. BJGoons, is there a method of public transport into downtown that doesn't include taxi? For reference, I'm going to be staying at the Yosemite near The international school of Beijing.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

JimBobDole posted:

Going to be in the boonies of Beijing for the weekend. BJGoons, is there a method of public transport into downtown that doesn't include taxi? For reference, I'm going to be staying at the Yosemite near The international school of Beijing.

Lol, that's not the boonies, that's not even close to the boonies. Just take line 15 to the 13 and congrats, you're downtown.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

JimBobDole posted:

By "boonies" how far out do you mean? Anywhere near the 5th ring road, the bus system is still pretty thick. I know it goes out to the 6th in spots but there are some routes that can take 2 hours to get from there to the 3rd ring road during rush hour. (Unlike a taxi, the buses pretty much HAVE to go through the most congested areas.)

Okay, I THINK I found it. You're about 3 km east of the airport, and about 1.5 km from subway line 15, China International Exhibition Center station. Getting off of line 15 can be one of the nastier transfers during rush hour. But it could be way worse.

国展-地铁站 That's your subway station.
http://www.bjbus.com/map/index.php?....1875,14&hb=0,1

Looks like you've got poo poo for buses to the station...have to double back and transfer. It'd probably be faster to walk. Or it'll be a cheap cab ride.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Ah, thank you! Every time I go there I feel so darn stuck with only cabs taking expats everywhere.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

lemoz posted:

What I know so far:

Hey man, I'm in Beijing, and enjoy going out and have a good circle of friends here. Unfortunately I'm not drinking for the next few months as I have a boxing match. Either way, add me on wechat (an indispensable application if you are going to live in China) brad8113

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

JimBobDole posted:

Ah, thank you! Every time I go there I feel so darn stuck with only cabs taking expats everywhere.

I hear there's an invention called maps now. According to the wife it's just a bunch of lines and stuff that she doesn't understand, but surely there must be some sort of practical use for them. If you're stumped, ask bad day, I hear that's how he found that zoo and the ponies within. Dunno if I'd trust him though, unless you share similar interests.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

I hear there's an invention called maps now. According to the wife it's just a bunch of lines and stuff that she doesn't understand, but surely there must be some sort of practical use for them. If you're stumped, ask bad day, I hear that's how he found that zoo and the ponies within. Dunno if I'd trust him though, unless you share similar interests.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person in China who can read one.

Then I remember that most of the people I went to Basic Training with couldn't read a map either, and I sneer at the Chinese a little less.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I like google maps on my phone because it gives me a little arrow that tells me where I am and which direction I'm looking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys really ought to read the OP :negative:

quote:

Sogou Maps - Android - according to Pro-PRC Laowai, "In all honesty, Google maps really really really sucks for China. Maps are out of date and they are missing a lot of data. Grab up Sogou Map, they give better info and you can just download the whole city without dicking around.... it's also fairly accurate at estimating taxi fare." Detailed offline maps, Chinese only.

Honestly though, a full cab in Beijing is not that expensive for each person if traffic is not a concern :downsrim: Well I suppose the subsidized subway is only 2 kuai no matter where you but the time it takes and all is more of a last resort. If you want speed, you can also try taking the airport express rail straight into DongZhiMen.

Does the beijing airport express do group discounts? If not then scratch what I said about the express train.