Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why is Brittany part of Romania submersa, but not Flanders and the Southern Netherlands? And was Latin really the dominant spoken language in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Why is Brittany part of Romania submersa, but not Flanders and the Southern Netherlands? And was Latin really the dominant spoken language in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations?

Brittany is that way because Brittonic speaking people showed up from Britain in the period between the late 300s and the 500s, slowly pushing the Gallo-Roman speakers out. I don't really know anything about Flanders and the Southern Netherlands though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I know that Brittany is correct on that map, I'm just wondering why the same criteria don't seem to apply to the Low Countries. The Franks assimilated the Romance-speaking population there in a similar fashion and in the same time period.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, I know that Brittany is correct on that map, I'm just wondering why the same criteria don't seem to apply to the Low Countries. The Franks assimilated the Romance-speaking population there in a similar fashion and in the same time period.
Before the Franks moved into France and that whole Battle of Soissons and so forth, they were pretty well established in the Low Countries, and that was just at the tail end of the Imperial era. Maybe the mapmaker just assumed that there were no Romance-speaking communities in the Frankish homelands? Not the most solid assumption, to be sure, but I'm grasping for probable explanations for the mapmaker's actions myself.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

And was Latin really the dominant spoken language in the Balkans before the Slavic migrations?

Hard to answer as such, since there were obviously other languages spoken there too, but yes, Latin was widespread throughout the whole now Slavic speaking area in the Balkans. The Dalmatian language for example only died out in the 19th century.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Here's a tongue in cheek map of how Americans view the world, drawn up to look like the game Risk.

I'm confused why Mexicans (presumably San Diego) is north of Celebrities (Los Angeles). I'd blame the Central Valley except it's clearly on the coast! This map is all wrong!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Golbez posted:

I'm confused why Mexicans (presumably San Diego) is north of Celebrities (Los Angeles). I'd blame the Central Valley except it's clearly on the coast! This map is all wrong!

They're probably both for LA. Not sure how it could make sense otherwise. I'm surprised there's no mention of hippies anywhere in Northern CA though...that is clearly a substandard map.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm wondering in what part of america that there are people mad about the Canal Zone?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Peanut President posted:

I'm wondering in what part of america that there are people mad about the Canal Zone?

There is a non-marginal portion of the country that thinks giving up the Panama Canal Zone was a mistake and made the United States look weak to the world community. My father believed that the Torrijos–Carter Treaties were some of the worst mistakes Carter made during his administration.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2013

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising
Another fun one was DVD Regions.

Pretty much arbitary as the countries don't even necessarily synch up with the PAL/NTSC divisions that existed. Mostly it was a cynical ploy to make money off people/prevent people buying DVDs for cheap in another country, and helping the studio's ability to control prices in some markets. As usual Australia gets the poo poo end of it.

There's a Blu-Ray region setup as well that is not as broken, but still seems sus in some areas.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Spirit Tree posted:

As usual Australia gets the poo poo end of it.

I was under the impression that it didn't matter because all Australians had region-free players anyway. Is that incorrect?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I never noticed that China has its own region. I guess because either all the players are region-free or the DVDs are all pirated. Probably both.

Hong Kong is region 3, but I've had some region 3 DVDs I've bought here work just fine in my region 1 PS3. Then some don't. Weird.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lycus posted:

I was under the impression that it didn't matter because all Australians had region-free players anyway. Is that incorrect?

They're available here, but plenty of people don't have them. Bluray regions are different too (and less stupid).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's that one red island to the northeast of Australia?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

wdarkk posted:

What's that one red island to the northeast of Australia?

New Caledonia, A French Colony.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So France's colonies are region 1 but France is region 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wdarkk posted:

So France's colonies are region 1 but France is region 2.
I'm pretty sure the island is orange.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, French Guiana is orange too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HookShot posted:

Ah.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

HookShot posted:

Legally isn't French Guiana considered just another division of the French State, and not a colony? In the books there's no distinction between their possessions in South America and their possessions in Europe...?

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

Also, that reminds me.

The European Union is composed of the continental holdings of the member states and certain territories designated outermost regions. Presently, that includes the Azores and Madeira, the Canaries, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, and Saint Martin. Those not in the span of the map on the back of the Euro notes are included in inserts. Mayotte will become an outermost region in 2014.

More Later
Mar 31, 2010

ptk posted:

Also, that reminds me.

The European Union is composed of the continental holdings of the member states and certain territories designated outermost regions. Presently, that includes the Azores and Madeira, the Canaries, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, and Saint Martin. Those not in the span of the map on the back of the Euro notes are included in inserts. Mayotte will become an outermost region in 2014.

There are signs at the french Guiana/Brazil borders that say "Welcome to the European Union"!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

More Later posted:

L
There are signs at the french Guiana/Brazil borders that say "Welcome to the European Union"!
Isn't the/one of the EU space centers in Guyana? That may just be some sci fi I read.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

Isn't the/one of the EU space centers in Guyana? That may just be some sci fi I read.

No this is correct, the European Space Agency ESA is located in French Guiana.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Backweb posted:

Legally isn't French Guiana considered just another division of the French State, and not a colony? In the books there's no distinction between their possessions in South America and their possessions in Europe...?

Yes, Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbeans, French Guiana in South America and Mayotte and Reunion in Africa are considered integral parts of the French Republic, unlike other territories who have special statuses such as French Polynesia, New Caledonia in the Pacific or Saint Pierre et Miquelon (the tiny remains of New France in North America :france:)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Yes, Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbeans, French Guiana in South America and Mayotte and Reunion in Africa are considered integral parts of the French Republic, unlike other territories who have special statuses such as French Polynesia, New Caledonia in the Pacific or Saint Pierre et Miquelon (the tiny remains of New France in North America :france:)

I have a friend who grew up there and from her descriptions it's loving terrible. Since there are so few people everyone is constantly in each other's business and they really don't like each other. She described it as if a random group of people were stuck in an elevator for several generations. That said, access to Canadian media did give her an appreciation for God's own sport, ice hockey, so in at least that way it was better than growing up in the Hexagon.

Most popular sports in the world.

And second most popular sports in the US. I imagine they're working off of different polls because of some discrepancies like Kansas.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

And second most popular sports in the US. I imagine they're working off of different polls because of some discrepancies like Kansas.

Maybe Kansas just loves basketball so much that it's their #1 and #2 sport. (And Missouri really loves baseball for the same reason apparently)

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Family Values posted:

Maybe Kansas just loves basketball so much that it's their #1 and #2 sport. (And Missouri really loves baseball for the same reason apparently)

We take the Cardinals very seriously in Missouri

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Family Values posted:

The Missouri Tigers suck at everything but Base-ball. Also the Cardinals and the Royals are there

Edit: Phone Posting

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2013

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Ah, it warms the cockles of my heart to see that baseball beats out football in New England.

Maybe because the Red Sox are way more lovable than the Patriots. :v:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Rincewind posted:

Ah, it warms the cockles of my heart to see that baseball beats out football in New England.

Maybe because the Red Sox are way more lovable than the Patriots. :v:

This is a trick statement because neither are lovable.

:colbert:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

PrinceRandom posted:

Just to be clear, Guyana is not French Guiana. They used to be referred as The Guianas, you had British Guiana, Dutch Guiana, and French Guiana. The first two are now respectively the independent nations of Guyana and Suriname. The last is still French Guiana (or officially, simply Guiana or Guyane), a fully integrated part of France and EU, just as Hawaii is part of the U.S.

SlothSpot
Feb 14, 2012

Soviet Commubot posted:

That map always rubs me the wrong way since Australian Footy is far more popular than cricket (about the third, maybe fourth most popular). Australia should be split into states similarly to the US to show the split between AFL and rugby, if you want accuracy.

Though really, it's a hard thing to quantify. I'm sure most of the map is misrepresnted; if only there were a decent way to show the splits - maybe adding dots of a certain colour or something to show the second most popular sport?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Soviet Commubot posted:

This map is very, very strange to me. Is the US really one of the only countries in the world that doesn't uniformly prefer a single sport? These colors are a bit hard to read too. Does the entirety of China really prefer, uh, table tennis to everything else?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This map is very, very strange to me. Is the US really one of the only countries in the world that doesn't uniformly prefer a single sport? These colors are a bit hard to read too. Does the entirety of China really prefer, uh, table tennis to everything else?

As far as "entire area practically shuts down when the finals for this specific sport is on", there's a lot of variation across U.S. States that you don't really see anywhere else on the same scale. You have a few oddities, like here in Canada, curling is the big thing in Newfoundland (IIRC when a Newfoundlander made it to the Olympic finals, they suspended school classes there so everyone could watch it live), although by and large we're all about Hockey on a Canada-wide scale and I wouldn't say there are specific secondary sports that stand out in each province.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I cannot find the "Archery" bit in that map. Is there even one?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

wdarkk posted:

I cannot find the "Archery" bit in that map. Is there even one?

Bhutan's national sport is archery.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How exactly did Gaelic Football get to Austria?

Edit: huh, the contrast made the light blue look like the Gaelic color. The map is tiny and kinda not good quality.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

PrinceRandom posted:

How exactly did Gaelic Football get to Austria?

Austria's sport is skiing?