Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
蕩婦

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Anyone who gives that a serious translation I will personally find and punch in the throat. This a golden opportunity to mess with an absolute fuckwit.

家内

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
慰安婦

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

出去

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
腐女子

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

レズ

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Oh wow do people really use that? How about 內賤 :haw:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

caberham posted:

Oh wow do people really use that? How about 內賤 :haw:

Yes and no

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Old dudes with no concept of sexism say 家内

Yo asking dude, if this is for a tattoo it's a terrible idea. Even if you get a correct translation (you won't) any non-native tattoo artist is going to gently caress it up.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
面子

mystes
May 31, 2006

caberham posted:

How about 內賤 :haw:
Is this Chinese or something?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yes, Bloodnose and Caberham are Chinese spys.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yes, Bloodnose and Caberham are Chinese spys.

The ones all the weeklies have been warning me about? :ohdear: :tinfoil:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
倭鬼

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

You forgot to make a joke about the 自衛隊 being a 自慰隊.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I actually made that joke not too long ago about (what the Chinese call) the 對越自衛反擊戰.

Of course everybody in China just calls the SDF the 日軍 :argh:

edit I just realized you probably don't use a Kanji name for Vietnam, so to clarify, 越南 is Vietnam and it refers to China's war against Vietnam in 79.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm probably going back to Hokkaido this winter for a week or two (hooray). I'm thinking about renting a car from somewhere around the airport and just kind of cruising around for a few days before reaching our hotel or minshuku in either Shiretoko or on Rishiri or Rebun (haven't decided which yet). Has anyone done anything like this? Particularly, how's the driving in winter?

And how do Hokkaidoäns drive? After all the place is close to Russia... And are there any wackityass traffic rules or conventions I ought to know about - other than driving on the left?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 12, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

And how do Hokkaidoäns drive? After all the place is close to Russia... And are there any wackityass traffic rules or conventions I ought to know about - other than driving on the left?

My relatives love going to Japan and renting a car. There's GPS, auto highway tolls and everyone in Japan are too polite! They are typical Hong Kongers and worship almost anything Japanese :japan:

But from reading goon experiences, be careful going through intersections :ohdear:

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Does anyone have the opening hours of the Toyokuni Shrine in Kyoto?

Thanks in advance.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

My relatives love going to Japan and renting a car. There's GPS, auto highway tolls and everyone in Japan are too polite! They are typical Hong Kongers and worship almost anything Japanese :japan:

But from reading goon experiences, be careful going through intersections :ohdear:

Can you easily get an ETC card as a tourist? It's kind of a bitch as a foreign resident: you either need a Japanese credit card or to lay down a 40-60,000 yen deposit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can you easily get an ETC card as a tourist? It's kind of a bitch as a foreign resident: you either need a Japanese credit card or to lay down a 40-60,000 yen deposit.
If you rent a car maybe you can rent an ETC card from the rental company and pay the charges back to them?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 12, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What's up with the air quality? I saw 260 in nagoya today. That's Beijing levels. Today it was all red and some purple.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for food recommendations in Tokyo, particularly Hamachi Kama and Unagi don. Is there a go to (English) blog or website? I'll be staying near Nishiojima station, East Tokyo. I'm not overly worried about prices, but I'd like to avoid more than a few 3000 yen meals in the four days I'll be there. I'm not paying for lodging and I'm not interested in souvenirs, so food will be pretty much my only expense besides the flight.

Edit: Have any of you been to Cafe Russia near Kichijoji? I haven't had Georgian food since I lived there and they have kharcho and Kachapuri. :stare:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 13, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I know there was a bunch of simcard talk a few pages back, can anyone give a trip report about getting one? Did it work out? Which of the suggestions worked the best?

In the same swarm of Kgoons, are there any blog suggestions for food in Nagoya or Kyoto or Takayama? In Korea we have quite a few options, but I don't know what is legitimate there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's an incredible unadon place in Asakusa but I can't remember exactly where or find it online. Maybe one of the locals knows.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

There's an incredible unadon place in Asakusa but I can't remember exactly where or find it online. Maybe one of the locals knows.

Was it this one? http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1311/A131102/13003697/dtlphotolst/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, that's not it. It's kind of small and dark inside, you sit around the grill where the guy works. Everything's old wood, don't know if it's actually been there forever but it looks like it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Holy crap GF, did you just turn into a mod?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Now he really IS a Big Cheese...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I woke up in a dark alley with a star stuck on me. I don't know what happened.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
GF posts in all the Asia threads without getting caught up in the many arguments and is very helpful in the Roman history thread. A Good Mod Choice. I almost suspect he might have been selected partially so that there's someone who will be around in the Asia megathreads who's actually in the timezone.

It's too bad he lives and in Korea and has therefore obviously been brainwashed to hate us all.

Edit: I don't know how I was thinking 'in' and managed to write 'and'

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 14, 2013

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's too bad he lives and Korea and has therefore obviously been brainwashed to hate us all.

I did my best to show him a good time! (Actually, I did very bad that time. Was too tired!)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
GF find a job in Japan so that you can get out of hagwon drudgery and live in The Good East Asian Country™

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

DontAskKant posted:

I know there was a bunch of simcard talk a few pages back, can anyone give a trip report about getting one? Did it work out? Which of the suggestions worked the best?

In the same swarm of Kgoons, are there any blog suggestions for food in Nagoya or Kyoto or Takayama? In Korea we have quite a few options, but I don't know what is legitimate there.

I decided to get a bmobile one because it's easy and I'm expensing it anyway. If it's crap on the first day I'll just order something from jcr and have it delivered to my hotel. I'll find out when I arrive tomorrow if it works.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

marmot25 posted:

I decided to get a bmobile one because it's easy and I'm expensing it anyway. If it's crap on the first day I'll just order something from jcr and have it delivered to my hotel. I'll find out when I arrive tomorrow if it works.
Which one did you get? I noticed that their English site had a lot less options than their Japanese, but I assume there shouldn't be a problem getting the voice + data ones?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ned posted:

I did my best to show him a good time! (Actually, I did very bad that time. Was too tired!)

Whoever that was, it wasn't me. I've only been to Tokyo one time and hung out with a college friend.

Japan is a possibility some day. Depends on MY GIRLFRIEND and whatnot. I really liked Tokyo.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm looking for food recommendations in Tokyo, particularly Hamachi Kama and Unagi don. Is there a go to (English) blog or website? I'll be staying near Nishiojima station, East Tokyo. I'm not overly worried about prices, but I'd like to avoid more than a few 3000 yen meals in the four days I'll be there. I'm not paying for lodging and I'm not interested in souvenirs, so food will be pretty much my only expense besides the flight.

Edit: Have any of you been to Cafe Russia near Kichijoji? I haven't had Georgian food since I lived there and they have kharcho and Kachapuri. :stare:

Kirakutei in Hiroo/Shirokanedai for lunch. Make sure you have the 1500Y wagyu lunch set.

DontAskKant posted:

Rakuten BB was solid as a rock, but it's expensive. B-mobile is all kinds of lovely.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

So... Basically i should just pay $50usd for 5 days of roaming?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd also really like to hit up a premier Yakitori place. One of the ones that butchers the birds on premises and offers chicken sashimi and the like.

• Locked thread