Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So I'm looking to get a 2013 N7, and I was hoping to get an Otterbox Defender-series case for it, but the 2013 N7 has a different form-factor from the 2012, and Otterbox hasn't expressed any intentions to make a Defender-series for the 2013 model.

I live in an apartment with fully concrete floors, so I would be pretty paranoid about dropping a Nexus 7 if I got one. Are there any cases out there for the 2013 N7 that are as rugged (or more rugged) than the Otterbox Defender-series case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If any one has a Nexus 7 (2012) or a Nexus 10 and wants a couple cases, I have two laying around that I'm not going to use. Both are new and never used.

Nexus 10

and

Nexus 7

I'll dump them for the cost of shipping, like five bucks each if anyone wants them, before I throw them in the trash.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If any one has a Nexus 7 (2012) or a Nexus 10 and wants a couple cases, I have two laying around that I'm not going to use. Both are new and never used.

Nexus 10

and

Nexus 7

I'll dump them for the cost of shipping, like five bucks each if anyone wants them, before I throw them in the trash.

I'm happy to take the Nexus 10 cover off your hands. PM sent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Nexus 7 won't turn on and i'm not sure what I should try to troubleshoot it before contacting Google. :( I'm pretty sure the battery is not dead, I have it plugged in right now though charging, or at least I hope it is charging. Its been charging for about 2 hours now and still won't turn on.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My Nexus 7 won't turn on and i'm not sure what I should try to troubleshoot it before contacting Google. :( I'm pretty sure the battery is not dead, I have it plugged in right now though charging, or at least I hope it is charging. Its been charging for about 2 hours now and still won't turn on.

The 2012 nexus 7 has issues when you fully discharge the battery. Let it charge for 12 hours or so and it should boot up just fine.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

I said come in! posted:

I had something like that happen with my nexus 7. I let it charge for a couple hours and then had to hold the power button down for about 15-20 seconds. it was weird

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Rubicon posted:

I had something like that happen with my nexus 7. I let it charge for a couple hours and then had to hold the power button down for about 15-20 seconds. it was weird

I had the same thing happen to my galaxy nexus too, I don't think it's just tablets.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My tablet is working again, thanks guys. :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are times when my Gnex is completely breaks and pressing any button doesn't do anything. I never got around to holding the power button for long enough because I always just go straight for the battery. It happened a couple times on my N7. The 15 second holding the power button thing worked. It really freaked me out because it was the second day I had it.

I also just got my Portenzo case. I'm liking it so far. It has made my fake laptop complete. I kind of wish the intellistand could lean back a bit more, but it's good enough for using on the coffee table while sitting on the floor. I think this is possibly the best computing experience for portability. I can use just the tablet, or I can use it with a mouse and keyboard, or just the keyboard. I see no use for ever having a laptop ever again. Touchpads are so much worse than using a touchscreen or a mouse. I am very satisfied with this, and I like the color.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

There are times when my Gnex is completely breaks and pressing any button doesn't do anything. I never got around to holding the power button for long enough because I always just go straight for the battery. It happened a couple times on my N7. The 15 second holding the power button thing worked. It really freaked me out because it was the second day I had it.

That happens to me when smartreflex gets over-aggressive with voltage tuning. It happens on the stock kernel and every 3rd party kernel I've ever tried. In theory smartreflex should eventually learn what safe voltage ranges are for your device but in practice it's just generally unstable on the g.nexus :saddowns:

What you're talking about is generally referred to as "the sleep of death" - ie: the phone won't wake up no matter what you do short of pulling the battery.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Note that holding the power button for ~15 seconds is a hardware-level command to reset a device which doesn't have a battery that you can pull out. A lot of devices with removable batteries don't bother to include such a thing since it isn't really needed. I'm not certain if the GNex did, I feel like it didn't but I could be wrong.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tunga posted:

Note that holding the power button for ~15 seconds is a hardware-level command to reset a device which doesn't have a battery that you can pull out. A lot of devices with removable batteries don't bother to include such a thing since it isn't really needed. I'm not certain if the GNex did, I feel like it didn't but I could be wrong.

It's been a long time since I've run up against a device that didn't have this function, regardless of the battery type.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nexus 7

I'll take this one if you haven't already gotten rid of it.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008
Chiming in on case-chat for the N7 2013 edition:

I bought the highly recommended (for the original N7) Minisuit case / BT keyboard / stand combo updated for the N7 2013: http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-Keyboard-Google-Nexus-FHD/dp/B00E8IWU1W/

I snagged it for 10 dollars shipped as a pre-order at the beginning of August. It showed up, I use it and am happy with it; it does its job well while only adding minimal bulk.

Then I saw their hard back version: http://www.amazon.com/Minisuit-Bluetooth-Nexus-FHD-Rubberized/dp/B00EDTTIXE/

Pre-ordered that since I hate money and it was only 25 dollars shipped. It arrived last night and after the first charge I stuck my tablet in place this morning only to find out they have put a magnet in the case near the BT connect button which causes the tablet to trigger the auto-sleep function. That is cool, so when you put the tablet face down in the case it will tell the tablet to go to sleep. Major design problem though, the magnet ALSO triggers auto-sleep when it is sitting in the stand as shown in the pictures on the product page and in the manual they send with the tablet. So the case causes the tablet to be impossible to use when you try to operate it as a stand. I have emailed Minisuit to see if they have a fix or if I will just be returning the product, but if anyone is thinking about getting the rubberized stand / case I suggest holding off for now. I have no issues with the fake leather keyboard / stand / case, it continues to work fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rotaryfun posted:

I'll take this one if you haven't already gotten rid of it.

Yours, PM or email me about it, ericcorp@gmail.com.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Have had my new nexus 7 for 3 days now. I'm getting what would be better described as a "blinking" screen than a "flickering" screen. Instead of the brightness fluttering, the screen just goes completely black for a split second, then the screen comes back a split second later. Very similar to an e-ink page refreshing. It happens every 10 minutes or so, but the timing is very random. It has happened in both the browser and chrome. It happened 3 times while writing this post, which is more than usual.

Due to the common flickering issue being discussed all over the internet, it's really hard to search for what I think is a different issue that can be described with the same words. Anyone read of anything along these lines? I am out of the country for a month and can't return it for a new one until I get back.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's been a long time since I've run up against a device that didn't have this function, regardless of the battery type.
Holding power for a few seconds to reboot is a software feature of Android but sometimes you need the longer hardware trigger. The HTC Desire definitely doesn't have that, for example. And I feel like the GNex didn't but I could be wrong.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Does the usb cable that came with the tablet say anything on it like ASUS? I'm trying to return it and I'm not sure if I got the right cable because it doesn't have any markings.

I'm returning it cause my work will only set up an ipad even tho they told me earlier they would figure it out.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bigntasty posted:

Does the usb cable that came with the tablet say anything on it like ASUS? I'm trying to return it and I'm not sure if I got the right cable because it doesn't have any markings.

I'm returning it cause my work will only set up an ipad even tho they told me earlier they would figure it out.

Yes. Both the wall wart and cable have "ASUS" imprinted on them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So far I'm enjoying my portenzo case. The 3M strip that holds the tablet on is amazing. It's one big strip for the right side and three small dots for the left side. The right side holds strong no matter what. I've flopped the case around all over the place and it holds on tight. The left side doesn't because it's supposed to come off for the intellistand, but holds on well enough. This case is amazing. I want to bring it everywhere even though it will probably never leave my apartment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I need to get a new USB charging cable for my 2012 Nexus 7. Is there anything specific I should look for, or will any old USB - Micro USB cable do?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The manual says you should only use the 2 amp charger that's included. I'm guessing that's because it needs two amps to drive the screen and still charge it up. It says you can charge from a computer if the tablet is in sleep mode. I think they just say that so people don't plug it into a .5a amp charger and complain that their tablet doesn't charge while they are watching Youtube videos. It's USB so 5 volts is five volts, amperage just changes how fast it charges. So any USB to micro usb should be fine as long as you plug it into the original wall wart.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone make a case for the new N7 that's more like a typical phone TPU case? i.e. protects the back and sides but not the screen?

e; I guess my search terms were poo poo before. Found a Poetic silicone case and one by KAYSCASE that's thinner and TPU, both on Amazon. :downs:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 13, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

Does anyone make a case for the new N7 that's more like a typical phone TPU case? i.e. protects the back and sides but not the screen?

e; I guess my search terms were poo poo before. Found a Poetic silicone case and one by KAYSCASE that's thinner and TPU, both on Amazon. :downs:
Cruzerlite also make some:
http://www.cruzerlite.com/cases/asus/nexus7-2013
(They use the same factory/materials as goon-favourite Diztronic.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

docbeard posted:

I need to get a new USB charging cable for my 2012 Nexus 7. Is there anything specific I should look for, or will any old USB - Micro USB cable do?

Any cable will work, but for some reason (at least in my experience) Micro USB cables never last long. Buy two from monoprice.com - they warranty their cables for life, so if one stops working, you've got a spare to use in the time it'll take to get a replacement. Best part is you get the two cables for the same price you'd pay for a single cable at someplace like Best Buy - even after shipping costs.

Alehkhs posted:

Are there any cases out there for the 2013 N7 that are as rugged (or more rugged) than the Otterbox Defender-series case?

I went with the rooCase Executive for mine - it's not the most svelte case, but it has a feel to it that tells me that I could drop it from holding height and not have to worry. I also like how it has the appearance of a personal organizer instead of a "I AM A TABLET, PLEASE STEAL ME" look to it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 14, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

£99, down from £129 in the UK, if anyone's interested. Obviously dropping the price before the updated Kindles tablets are announced soon?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm looking for a case for my Nexus 7 (2013). Problem is that the only reviews I can find are 'Best 10 cases for Nexus 7 2013' type things, and those aren't reviews at all but just lists of what's available.

It's basically advertising, there is no critique whatsoever: no 'this is the best, buy this', and certainly no 'this sucks rear end, avoid like the plague'. And judging from Amazon reviews (yeah I know, those aren't always that reliable), there certainly are cases that should be avoided. (A case with an inside clasp that can scratch the screen is just horrible, period.)

Anyway, what I want:

-Has to protect screen against scratches
-Tablet fits securely inside
-Thin

I don't care about magnets or extra pockets for styluses or integrated stands, in fact I'd prefer to have none of those. (Especially since magnets seem to gently caress with the GPS?)

The gold standard here, for me, is the official leather case I have for my Kindle Paperwhite. I absolutely adore this thing and I think it's totally and completely perfect.

Recommend me something similar for my Nexus please.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

helpy posted:

I have emailed Minisuit to see if they have a fix or if I will just be returning the product

MiniSuit two day shipped me a replacement unit for this : http://www.amazon.com/Minisuit-Bluetooth-Nexus-FHD-Rubberized/dp/B00EDTTIXE/ and the replacement does not have as strong of a magnet in it so the tablet does not perma sleep when you set it in the stand in landscape mode.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

My SO got me the Nexus 7 2013 for my birthday and it is awesome. The screen is super sharp, decent blacks, it responds snappily and the build quality is superb.

I need a decent case for it, but the official one looks and feels like a piece of crap. Any decent recommendations? I'm not sure what style I want, but it needs to protect the screen when closed. I'm not so bothered about stands or material.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Can we change the thread title to something along the lines of: "Please help me find a case for my new Nexus 7?"

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So I remember reading there were some manufacturing/touchscreen issues with the 2013 Nexus 7? Is that still the case? Or was it all hogwash?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

So I remember reading there were some manufacturing/touchscreen issues with the 2013 Nexus 7? Is that still the case? Or was it all hogwash?
It was a software bug, Google released a fix already, I've not seen many complaints about it since but a few people on XDA and such said that it didn't fix it for them.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
For $13 the Poetic Slimline case is very decent. I apparently bought the second of three iterations of the 2013 Nexus 7 case, and the company sent me a third iteration case for free after it came out. It feels a bit sturdier than the second iteration, but it's definitely not as nice as a Portenzo or Dodo case.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

upsciLLion posted:

For $13 the Poetic Slimline case is very decent. I apparently bought the second of three iterations of the 2013 Nexus 7 case, and the company sent me a third iteration case for free after it came out. It feels a bit sturdier than the second iteration, but it's definitely not as nice as a Portenzo or Dodo case.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ

Looks cool. The (recent) reviews are all overwhelmingly positive too. Too bad shipping will cost me at least 1.5 times as much as the case itself. :suicide:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uXs posted:

Looks cool. The (recent) reviews are all overwhelmingly positive too. Too bad shipping will cost me at least 1.5 times as much as the case itself. :suicide:

Oddly enough I ordered one from Amazon but then decided not to get the tablet. You want it? What's your ZIP? Figure around ten bucks, so I make enough for a coffee and shipping?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Oddly enough I ordered one from Amazon but then decided not to get the tablet. You want it? What's your ZIP? Figure around ten bucks, so I make enough for a coffee and shipping?

Dunno what country you are in, but I'm in Belgium.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Android tablets are so reliable and good that we've got page after page of talk about cases/covers instead of tech support.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Android tablets are so reliable and good that we've got page after page of talk about cases/covers instead of tech support.

People with Transformers all killed themselves at this point.

Edit: Or bought iPads.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Some anecdotal evidence, but both mine and my girlfriends aunts Portenzo cases fell apart after ~ 6 months of use. Magnets started popping out, and the wood that lined the sides and held the tablet in place chipped and broke off to the point where the case was basically useless :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People with Transformers all killed themselves at this point.

Edit: Or bought iPads.

I own a TF201 ... when I got it I was very happy with it, in particular after the update which upgraded the entire OS. Compared now to my phone it seems pretty slow and unresponsive, though I still use it for everything I bought it for; browsing recipes, reading the SA and other forums, playing games. I do wish it was faster and more responsive but come January I'll have had it for two years and felt I got my moneys worth. Then I'll buy another 10" Android tablet.