Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it turns out that sucking dead squished up old dinosaurs up out the ground through a straw is just way better than just about anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Sweevo posted:

based on a complete misunderstanding of how cars, alternators, and electricity work

but apart from that the idea's fairly sound

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

generating hydrogen on an industrial scale via electrolysis is a fairly reasonable plan, particularly if you do it using the overnight baseload power that otherwise doesn't really get used.

all these stupid water car things are the same though - a jar of water with wires going to the battery and a pipe going to the intake, and based on a complete misunderstanding of how cars, alternators, and electricity work

its not an awful plan and there are places that already do this but storing hydrogen is expensive and difficult so right now it mostly gets converted to ammonia for fertilizer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
much like my posting

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dr. Honked posted:

it turns out that sucking dead squished up old dinosaurs up out the ground through a straw is just way better than just about anything else

why did all the dinosaurs go to iraq to die

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Honked posted:

we just need to figure out how to make new dinosaurs, kill them, and then bury them deep underground

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dr. Honked posted:

na its just easier for an undeveloped society to PUT STUFF FROM GROUND IN METAL CAN THEN MAKE SPARK than to figure out the less lovely ways of doing things

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

killing them will be the hardest part

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

they are, how you say, clever girls

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

JawnV6 posted:

why did all the dinosaurs go to iraq to die

jihadiraptors

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

why hasn't anyone figured out how to pull energy from the æther yet

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

dur posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream_Filling posted:

its not an awful plan and there are places that already do this but storing hydrogen is expensive and difficult so right now it mostly gets converted to ammonia for fertilizer

tbh doing that is mad useful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Install Windows posted:

tbh doing that is mad useful

until you start destroying ecosystems with fertilizer runoff

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dur posted:

they should just put turbines on really long sticks and stick them way up into the air

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Al! posted:

they should just put turbines on really long sticks and stick them way up into the air

preposterous :wotwot:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

goddamnedtwisto posted:

nothing ruins any yospos thread quicker than nerds having opinions about things.

yosposters are literally unable to understand the concept of "personal taste"

quote:

Dude, why 1$ ?
You may have noticed that our goal for this campaign is just 1$. Among the many reasons for this, the main one is that we don't want to limit ourselves to a simple number and thus, we will not be asking for a specific amount. We want everyone to enjoy our game and by not having a set amount you will help us bring life to our project faster.

whatever happened to kickstarter curating its projects, anyway?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

whatever happened to kickstarter curating its projects, anyway?

kickstarter believes in buyer beware, but they did point out that the project author is a cad right next to the amount raised

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

PleasingFungus posted:

no they understand it, their personal taste is just better than yours (unless you agree) and they want you to know it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

its filled with helium

my vulva is smoother than a veal cutlet

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
its almost as though taste is a proxy for social conflict and competition

makes u think

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

until you start destroying ecosystems with fertilizer runoff

life is just another word for entropy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Proteus4994 posted:

no they understand it, their personal taste is just better than yours (unless you agree) and they want you to know it

i'm sorry for performing a pubnlic service

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

never forget

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol if that's who I think it is

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

its probably not but it was a legit google result searching for statpedia

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hydrogen is hard! :downs:
*builds a literal island to drill several thousand feet through the ocean floor to get oil that has to be transported, processed, and transported again to run in a thing with hundreds of years of engineering behind it*

The only downside to non-fossil fuel cars is that racing of all forms will probably die for a while until whatever technology is made loud and awesome. Also we won't be able to listen to redneck mctrucknuts in his lifted freedom truck or that piece of poo poo vtec type R economy autozone special

Do hydrogen cars even make noise idk

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kickstart my rock initiative where we collectively brain everyone with poo poo taste in vehicles and noise pollution. It's all of us hail satan

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*builds a literal island to drill several thousand feet through the ocean floor to get oil that has to be transported, processed, and transported again to run in a thing with hundreds of years of engineering behind it*

The only downside to non-fossil fuel cars is that racing of all forms will probably die for a while until whatever technology is made loud and awesome. Also we won't be able to listen to redneck mctrucknuts in his lifted freedom truck or that piece of poo poo vtec type R economy autozone special

Do hydrogen cars even make noise idk

replace nascar and drag racing and monster trucks with people trying to go vertical instead of horozontal

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SmokaDustbowl posted:

replace nascar and drag racing and monster trucks with nothing because the only people who care about those things are retarded hicks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Racing is autocross or rally or f1 or circuit, everything else is for drooling babies

Rally gives me such a boner jesus christ

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

*snort* yeah

now if u''ll excuse me imma watch the nation's favorite sport, whdere people barely out of childhood smash into eachother so hard that they all get brain damage

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

*snort* yeah

now if u''ll excuse me imma watch the nation's favorite sport, whdere people barely out of childhood smash into eachother so hard that they all get brain damage

i'm pretty sure there's significant overlap between nascar fans and football fans

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol if that's who I think it is

that's angus "statto" loughran http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Loughran

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

ironically enough he went bankrupt due to spread betting

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

coffeetable posted:

now if u''ll excuse me imma watch the nation's favorite sport, whdere people barely out of their 40s smash into concrete barriers and snap their necks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

reminder: BMW's hydrogen car, when parked, will allow all of its fuel to escape within about 10 days

hydrogen has to be supercooled to reach even 1% of gasoline's energy density, it embrittles metals, and it's dangerous as hell. it's just a really lousy substance to use as portable fuel.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they'll probably just keep racing petrol-engined cars even when we all have battery powered shopping carts

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
uh hey maybe this gets its own thread but w/e for now here u go
https://www.upstart.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

JawnV6 posted:

uh hey maybe this gets its own thread but w/e for now here u go