Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Had a user last start at 9am today and quit by 11am. Um ok

edit: :69snypa:

nzspambot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

nzspambot posted:

Had a user last start at 9am today and quit by 11am. Um ok

edit: :69snypa:

:911: Never Forget :911:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
I actually have two stories today, that come together in a glorious mess of stupidity!

Issue 1:
1) Ticket comes in about errors when loading event site. This is a known issue, we're putting out a fix for it soon. There's things we can do to stop it though, so we send this to our NOCC queue.
2) Someone in the NOCC queue sends this to the "infinity" team. Neither I, nor the project manager, have ever even HEARD of this queue. But hey, maybe that's new internal lingo in the networking team, right? Who knows! So I send just a simple query "Are you sure? Who is the Infinity team? This is a <product name> issue.".
:downs: responds that "yeah yeah, infinity team has it."
Okay, sure, whatever. I let it sit because it's almost the end of the day. Today was stupid loving busy, and there was a bunch of back and forth with the project manager and :downs: that I didn't have time to take part in. It culminates though in this:
:downs: "Oh wait, this is <product name>? I don't support this, it needs to go back to the NOCC queue."
"So, where I sent it in the first place? And asked you specifically if you were the one to work this? And you said yes? And then used <product name> multiple times, so your claim of whoops didn't know is kind of false? Oh yeah, that group. Thanks. gently caress off. Christ."

So then today, I had this one. I want to point out, the climax of this first issue happened within minutes of this next one.

Issue 2:
1) Same as issue 1, but different clients. Send more tickets to the NOCC team.
2) DIFFERENT person than issue 1 grabs them, doesn't dispatch to the mysterious "infinity" team.
:pseudo: "the error is due to akamai because of the error and the reference code."
"That's fine, except the screenshots we gave you show no code. But that's okay. So this error means its an akamai thing and due to be fixed on <insert date here>?"
:pseudo: "What? No. Those errors do not exist. They always have a reference code. We've never seen them any other way."
"Uh, that's a blatant lie. We've been sending these errors, both with and without the code, to you since december."
:pseudo: "Well, you need to submit a ticket to the NOCC queue to have them look at this if you're saying that the error code is "truncated sometimes."
"That's... what I did. Aren't you in the NOCC? You grabbed this case after all."
:psuedo: "No, I am a Production System Administrator"

I lose my poo poo. I attempt to write three emails, find myself using profanity and stop. About 15 minutes later I come back and ask him why, if he doesn't work in the NOCC:
A) did he grab this ticket
B) Pretend he knew dick all
C) Pissed away my time and the clients time

Just the one ticket or the other would have been frustrating but sadly normal with our networking team anymore. But both? And managing to climax at the same time? Goddamn.

I am so goddamn tired of IT. :emo:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

dennyk posted:

Speaking of Windows file extension associations, as simple as that system is, Adobe has somehow found a way to gently caress it up. A while back when I updated from Reader 8 to Reader X, the uninstall for Reader 8 didn't actually remove anything, and PDFs continued to open in 8. Trying to change the file association to Reader X manually would do absolutely nothing. Now after my last reboot, PDF files suddenly aren't associated with any program, and can't be associated with anything via Windows Explorer. Open With... is available, but it won't save associations, and it's impossible to choose the Acrobat Reader executable anyway (when you select it with Browse, it doesn't add it to the list of available programs). If you try to associate Reader X with PDF files in the Reader preferences dialog, it runs an installer and then forces you to reboot, but doesn't actually fix anything. Uninstalling Reader X, like Reader 8, doesn't actually remove anything, so I can't reinstall. Seriously, gently caress Adobe. :argh:

gently caress every Adobe product, really, although Flash and Reader are easily the worst. The latest version of Reader refuses to open any PDFs in any browser on all of our workstations. I originally thought it was one of my group policies since I've been trying to clean up the whole "lets use php.exe to apply registry settings!" mess but it happens to workstations that aren't even in an OU yet. It really feels like every ticket that isn't about a printer is about some Adobe product malfunctioning. I'm already completely fed up trying to deal with all the "adobe account" bullshit they've been trying to push. Need to re-download Acrobat Pro? Install this extra thing that requires several hundred updates, then enter your account details that doesn't matter because the account servers are down.

Is this the place to complain about ISPs? Some time in the past 24 hours, our modem stopped receiving a signal. We called them at 0700, they said they'd have someone out within a couple hours at the latest and the tech would call before he got there. 1230 rolls around, the tech finally shows up and looks at our modem and various lines. He says he needs to go back to his truck and will be right back but instead just leaves without telling us anything. We call the ISP again, get bounced around through several departments, are forced to open a new ticket with them, and are promised another tech. At about 1430, no one's showed up yet so we call again and are tolled "The tech's at your location but he's not within visual range". It sure would have been nice if he could have at least called to let us know he was here/in the area working on our problem. At around 1500 our modem finally kicks back to life and everything is right with the world again. Basically, our ISP and their techs are really awful at any sort of communication and it's absolutely baffling.

The horrible part about all this is our ADFS server for our Office365 hybrid environment is hosted on-site and no one on our other three campuses were able to log in to their email for most of the day. What's sad is that we have a co-lo but the only reason the ADFS server isn't down there is because the machines that do virtualization are still running virtualbox where as we've migrated everything else over to hyper-v. I made sure we bought a new server today to run hyper-v down at the co-lo so this will never happen again.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 12, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

blackswordca posted:

So a call from ISP Tier 2 support came in:

:downs: Hi Blackswordca, This is ISP Tier 2 support calling about your ticket

:eng101: Perfect, did you guys see the packet loss on the two sites?

:downs: Yes. It looks like there is a 10-15% packet loss at each site.

:eng101: Ah ok. So are the modems getting replaced?

:downs: No. We are going reset the counters and get you to call us back when the users are having issues so we can see when the packets are getting dropped

:eng99: ...what?

:downs: we cant confirm there is a problem until we know when the packets are dropping.

:eng99:I have two sites who are unable to do any work because of this. That isn't good enough we need a solution more quickly. The fact that the packets are dropping so badly is sign of a larger problem isnt it?

:downs: I have to do more tests, Ill call you back! *hangs up*

It's not AT&T is it? We've been fighting with these assholes for a month now to rehome a circuit we are losing packets on. They want to do more and more tests, get more packet captures, send it to more internal groups to be analyzed. So far they've seen packets leaving one location in an orderly fashion, but some packets arriving at the destination are out of sequence or missing, for voice that's a bad thing. We've swapped equipment, T1 cards, used a different cable run to the demarc, nothing but "huh,we'll do more testing."

Only a few more months and we'll finally be free of these useless shitheads and their T1s.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

TWBalls posted:

What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

We have beer in the vending machines and a bottle of not-too-shabby scotch in the cupboard above the coffee maker. I can't recall the last time anyone had a beer with their lunch though, although there's usually some sort of get-together around 19:00 after the last shoot of a feature or film or something.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

TWBalls posted:

What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

We have a fridge of free beer here. Several fridges, actually.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
We have a stand thing in the kitchen with several bottles of scotch in, as well as a box of wine bottles. I've never actually seen anyone drink the scotch or open a wine bottle, but there is always a half-empty bottle sitting around.

Booze-gremlins I guess?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
We have a booze stash for the official company parties.

Alcohol not allowed otherwise though! Instant sackable offence at the first whiff of it, last I checked the handbook, and it did use pub lunches as an example.

Classic case of one idiot spoiling it for everyone else I suspect. Used to love having A pint at lunchtime.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
No, you won't get an iPhone 5S if you break your iPhone 5. We have plenty of iPhone 4s in stock, and a few boxes of old HTC Desires that will do the job just fine if we run out of iPhones.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ive been onsite with a client who kept cases of beer in their heavily-cooled server room.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

No, you won't get an iPhone 5S if you break your iPhone 5. We have plenty of iPhone 4s in stock, and a few boxes of old HTC Desires that will do the job just fine if we run out of iPhones.

Since Apple is discontinuing the iPhone 4 8GB (which we do have plenty of stock of) we're moving up to the brand new iPhone 4S 8GB :haw:

Using the oldest available platform available at all times keeps purchase and repair cost per unit down, maximizes device/charger/accessory compatibility, nobody is speculating in breaking their device to get a new one, and I get to see the dejected look in the eyes of the users and new employees when I hand them their iPhone 4. Also, when someone breaks their phone, we just swap it out from a pool of phones we have already gotten back from service, so there is no waiting for the users for "their" phones to come back from repair. We advise all users that we only support the functionality of the device, if they want to keep their pics, texts, apps etc they should make a backup on iTunes on a private computer or use iCloud.

No beer at work, but a coworker brought buns with custard and frosting (skoleboller) today!

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Is this the best place for general bitching?

Aaanyway, someone who's paid considerably more than me (about £15k pa more) just asked me how many milimeters are in a centimeter. Same damager has also asked:

Is there such a thing as USB to USB?
Do Jews celebrate Christmas?
Have we got any febreze?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TWBalls posted:

I think the only place I haven't had alcohol on the job was the federal government. My current one is just five guys. No one cares. My previous one, the owners would occasionally buy a case on Friday evenings.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I think the only place I haven't had alcohol on the job was the federal government. My current one is just five guys. No one cares. My previous one, the owners would occasionally buy a case on Friday evenings.

For a moment I assumed you were drunk on the job.. flipping burgers.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Is this the best place for general bitching?

Aaanyway, someone who's paid considerably more than me (about £15k pa more) just asked me how many milimeters are in a centimeter. Same damager has also asked:

Is there such a thing as USB to USB?
Do Jews celebrate Christmas?
Have we got any febreze?

Waiting for the obligatory "does this look infected to you?"

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

evobatman posted:

Since Apple is discontinuing the iPhone 4 8GB (which we do have plenty of stock of) we're moving up to the brand new iPhone 4S 8GB :haw:

Using the oldest available platform available at all times keeps purchase and repair cost per unit down

Hmmm.. I forgot which is which but don't the 4s have to be taken down to pretty much the last screw to replace the screen? While the 5 arranges it so the screen is the first component off again.

This makes the 5 much more repairable if they're done in house. Don't know about there, but our lot shatter their screens so often I think it may be a competition.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

evobatman posted:

Using the oldest available platform available at all times keeps purchase and repair cost per unit down, maximizes device/charger/accessory compatibility, nobody is speculating in breaking their device to get a new one, and I get to see the dejected look in the eyes of the users and new employees when I hand them their iPhone 4. Also, when someone breaks their phone, we just swap it out from a pool of phones we have already gotten back from service, so there is no waiting for the users for "their" phones to come back from repair. We advise all users that we only support the functionality of the device, if they want to keep their pics, texts, apps etc they should make a backup on iTunes on a private computer or use iCloud.

No beer at work, but a coworker brought buns with custard and frosting (skoleboller) today!

The two top guys hear are both Apple fanboys. The day they go up for pre-order I will get asked to purchase two new ones and get bitched at until they show up. *sigh*

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Lum posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
There's a bar with kegs above the office in the meeting room and there are usually people in there after 4pm every friday. Also I get a lot of paid lunches at local sponsor/friend bars with mini-pitchers. Then again, I work in sports.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I can finally contribute! Our sales department got a new multi-function copier with the ability to scan to email. It worked fine for a few days and then suddenly stopped working. My supervisor told me someone tried to scan something and it failed and that "now it doesn't work."

I spent an hour and a half this morning trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. No matter what I did, I got a really vague "SMTP connection failed." Feeling like a failure, I went to talk it over with my supervisor.

:eng99: I'm at a loss here. I've tried everything, but for some reason the copier can't make a connection to the SMTP server. For some reason, it can't access anything outside of the network.
:clint: That's because it doesn't work anymore.
:eng99: I know that. I just can't figure out why it won't make a connection.
:clint: Well, I told the firewall to block it.
:suicide: Wait, what?
:clint: Yeah, it messed up the network so I blocked it and it doesn't work anymore.

I got him to unblock it and, miracle of miracles, it works now.

Turns out, someone tried to email a 56 page document that was larger than the attachment limit for the email server. That was the entire problem :yotj:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A guy came in today for a meeting with our marketing department, in full peacock mode.

I don't even.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lum posted:

The thought occurred to me as I wrote it. Haha.

Nope, just flipping servers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Have a weird problem that started yesterday. In one folder on the network all Excel and Word files have become corrupted. Other files like PDFs are still working normally. No antivirus alerts, no weird PC behavior indicative of malware. I haven't seen a problem that only eats MS Office files without any other symptoms.

EDIT: Looks like ransomware called Cryptolocker can do this but it's quite persistent in alerting the infected user know.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Dick Trauma posted:

Have a weird problem that started yesterday. In one folder on the network all Excel and Word files have become corrupted. Other files like PDFs are still working normally. No antivirus alerts, no weird PC behavior indicative of malware. I haven't seen a problem that only eats MS Office files without any other symptoms.

EDIT: Looks like ransomware called Cryptolocker can do this but it's quite persistent in alerting the infected user know.

What AV solution does this client use/have you scanned with?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have relatives who think they know more about networking than they actually do demanding I fork up the router password for the router which I purchased and support on my own dime. :downs:

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah we got hit by this yesterday evening too. In one case the popup didn't appear until we pulled the plug on someone's computer. Having a fun day today.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Jimmy Kimmel just summed up apple users in a single video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HYAlSwv_24
Whether the actors are staged or not, this is pretty accurate for what some of us deal with.

TLDR: Jimmy "featured" the new iphone by showing people an ipad mini and their comments are exactly what you'd expect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kensei posted:

A guy came in today for a meeting with our marketing department, in full peacock mode.

I don't even.

:stonklol:

I wouldn't even know what to do. Maybe pour nacho cheese into his novelty hat and get out the chips?

-Troika- posted:

I have relatives who think they know more about networking than they actually do demanding I fork up the router password for the router which I purchased and support on my own dime. :downs:

To be fair, it's their own network, even if you're effectively giving them a support contract. Let them know that if they'd prefer not to have it, you can just take it back.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dick Trauma posted:

This actually looks like a rather fascinating piece of malware. If you don't pay up in time, are you really as badly hosed as it seems?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I can just restore from an hourly snapshot but it's annoying that Postini actually blocked the infected emails but a few people chose to manually release them and then open the attachment. At least one person owned up to it but I'll be hanging the others out to dry.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

Waiting for the obligatory "does this look infected to you?"

Oh Christ, the very thought. Is there an :appalled: smiley?

She riles me, because occasionally, she talks the most sense out of all of them (management). Then she ruins it by asking whether India and Pakistan are the same "thing".

It's literally YOTJ for me though - in almost exactly 12 months time, my household expenses will drop by an enormous amount, giving me the financial wriggle-room to move out of my lucrative yet soul destroying job.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Re: Allowed to have a drink or two on the job;

The only places I've ever seen/heard of that actually allowed drinking at work was blue collar type of work. My friend had a past job as a roofer (removing old roof tiles/shingles). They'd pitch in for a 30 pack of Budweiser (Blech) and drink it during lunch. The other, was his dad, who was an auto mechanic. They at least waited until after hours to have a few beers.

I've worked a number of different jobs in my lifetime and they've all had strict no alcohol policies. :shrug:

Nice to see that some places treat their employees like adults, though I'm not at all surprised to see that there are some employees that abuse it.

Anyone else having disk performance issues with PowerEdge R420's running Windows Server 2012 (In our case, Server 2012 Standard)? It was installed using the Lifecycle controller and the supplied Windows installation disc. I've been having issues where, when performing a reboot, it starts booting into Windows, hits the 'Configuring Windows Features 100%' then just sits there for quite a bit. Since it was set up using the Lifecycle controller, I'd imagine it has the latest drivers & firmwares. I guess I can try using the Openmanage disc to do the setup to rule out one of the newer drivers causing it, but thought I'd ask in case anyone else has come across it.
Additional Info:
Single Xeon E5-2407
16GB RAM
PERC H710 RAID controller. I've tried a simple 2 disk mirror, 4 disk RAID 10, and an 8 disk RAID 60.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I interviewed at a software company in the health sector located in Boston a few months back, their Friday's were basically a half-day in that they'd spend the afternoon drinking beers and just shooting the poo poo. My interview was on a Friday afternoon, my interviewer was drinking then.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sab669 posted:

I interviewed at a software company in the health sector located in Boston a few months back, their Friday's were basically a half-day in that they'd spend the afternoon drinking beers and just shooting the poo poo. My interview was on a Friday afternoon, my interviewer was drinking then.

My kind of company.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

HIPAA compliant.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Was it in Watertown rather than Boston proper?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tech companies in Silicon Valley--especially startups--tend to have really loose rules for alcohol and stuff. Very laid back and chill atmosphere. As long as you do your job no one cares if you've had one or two (or half a dozen).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ConfusedUs posted:

Tech companies in Silicon Valley--especially startups--tend to have really loose rules for alcohol and stuff. Very laid back and chill atmosphere. As long as you do your job no one cares if you've had one or two (or half a dozen).

They acknowledge the existence of the Balmer Peak obviously. Sadly so few places do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

D34THROW posted:

This actually looks like a rather fascinating piece of malware. If you don't pay up in time, are you really as badly hosed as it seems?

Fighting this one at the moment. One of the kids of a client of ours logged in using his mom's credentials who has access to all server shares. WTF is he even doing there? Who knows, but he managed to infect every .doc and .xls on the server. I am currently manually backing up files before I restore.

Word is that the ransom server has been shut down. The virus itself can easily be removed with a malwarebytes quick scan, but so far there is no way to decrypt the files. This one's loving nasty and it's going to get worse when it is modified to exploit Java. loving people and their email attachments, I swear to God....

• Locked thread