Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Dogen posted:

When I took comparative law (hahaha), whenever this was suggested all the foreign LLMs would say, "Well, but you can make so much more money here!"

Yes, this is true. I've had a lot of foreign LLM friends over the years, and all the East Asian ones who were already practicing attorneys in their countries dream of passing the bar in New York (they all take it in Buffalo) and then getting an offer from an NYC firm so they can stay in the U.S. and work insane hours and make crazy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yes, this is true. I've had a lot of foreign LLM friends over the years, and all the East Asian ones who were already practicing attorneys in their countries dream of passing the bar in New York (they all take it in Buffalo) and then getting an offer from an NYC firm so they can stay in the U.S. and work insane hours and make crazy money.

I know a partner at a t10 Vault who did this. By virtue of having no connections he generates no business, so you can imagine how he made up for that in order to make partner in the first place.

(if you can't imagine it, it's working 144/7)

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

MoFauxHawk posted:

(they all take it in Buffalo)
The number of people I saw studying in between parts of the bar exam with the Chinese (I think?) translations underneath made me feel quite a bit better. My friend sat next to a woman who couldn't speak much English, to the point where she simply wrote "I affirm" on her Scantron sheet and put her head down until the actual exam began.

Oh, except for "gently caress," which she muttered repeatedly throughout the MPT.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 10, 2013

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solid Lizzie posted:

The number of people I saw studying in between parts of the bar exam with the Chinese (I think?) translations underneath made me feel quite a bit better. My friend sat next to a woman who couldn't speak much English, to the point where she simply wrote "I affirm" on her Scantron sheet and put her head down until the actual exam began.

Oh, except for "gently caress," which she muttered repeatedly throughout the MPT.

I might have known that person. :( My ex-girlfriend (and still friend) even, a Taiwanese LLM graduate from Northwestern, has taken the bar in Buffalo twice now, including this most recent time. I can't imagine doing American law stuff without being virtually a native speaker. I took Spanish For Lawyers and that was very difficult for me, despite it being a fairly basic class in Spanish-language code-based law.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MoFauxHawk posted:

There should be an exchange program so US attorneys can go to their countries and work reasonable hours for a modest income.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dogen posted:

There should be an exchange program so US attorneys can go to their countries and work reasonable hours for a modest income.

Amen.
And modest costs for law school.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Dogen posted:

This sort of already exists.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So when is law school supposed to get hard? Next week will be one month down in class. People are saying they're spending each night buried in studying or spending their entire weekend reading. I'm just doing my reading/briefings in the morning before class and I seem like I'm doing well in the actual class based upon discussion.

What am I missing? Is it really not all that difficult to do? Are the bulk of my classmates just freaking out and going way above and beyond? I know I'm idiot because I'm going to law school, but this seriously doesn't seem like much at all to stress about. I feel like I missed something somewhere because I seem to be one of the few that isn't spending each hour of my nights reading the same cases over and over again.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when is law school supposed to get hard? Next week will be one month down in class. People are saying they're spending each night buried in studying or spending their entire weekend reading. I'm just doing my reading/briefings in the morning before class and I seem like I'm doing well in the actual class based upon discussion.

What am I missing? Is it really not all that difficult to do? Are the bulk of my classmates just freaking out and going way above and beyond? I know I'm idiot because I'm going to law school, but this seriously doesn't seem like much at all to stress about. I feel like I missed something somewhere because I seem to be one of the few that isn't spending each hour of my nights reading the same cases over and over again.

I think you missed the part where none of us said law school was hard.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Law school isn't hard in the least except for a brief period around finals, and around OCI.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It just depends what works for you. Some people study like 24/7, others get the reading done and that's it. I think a lot of people do get really stressed out and assume that more work = better grades, which isn't necessarily true. From what I've seen, more time spent studying does not really correlate with better grades beyond a certain point. The problem is that some people do need to put that level of work in, and with your final being your only grade, it can be hard to self-assess. This mainly applies to the first 10 weeks or so of the semester because during finals almost everyone is working their asses off.

I guess what I'm saying is figure out what level of studying works for you. My office mate this summer said law school is like a full-time job for her. I work mayyyybe 20 hours a week, often a lot less, including time spent in class, journal work, etc. We both do well. YMMV.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Preparing for class is about the least hard part of law school. The rest of it isn't too bad, either (rankings dependent, etc, etc), but you should spend a lot of time prepping for finals once that starts.

Also, law school attracts people who lie about how hard they work all the time. Most of that "reading" is staring at the page while watching Breaking Bad in the background.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arcturas posted:

Also, law school attracts people who lie about how hard they work all the time. Most of that "reading" is staring at the page while watching Breaking Bad in the background.

This is a key point. There's a lot of dickwaving and gunners trying to psych people out by bragging about how far along they are on their outline in early October. Don't worry too much about others' self-reported study habits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Thanks. I just didn't get what all the hub bub was about.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
99% of the poo poo you learn in law school isn't hard. It's just a lot of reading and compiling of information (into outlines around finals time), but I still have more free time in law school than I did when I worked. The 6 months of the school year that aren't immediately preceding exams are pretty chill.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're dealing with a poo poo ton of OCD Type A crazy people that are going nuts when they should be relaxing. You will be dealing with them for the rest of your life in this profession.

Also, maybe I have a different attitude about this than other people, but classroom discussion has little to no correlation to how well you are doing or are going to do on the final exam. So I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Also, maybe I have a different attitude about this than other people, but classroom discussion has little to no correlation to how well you are doing or are going to do on the final exam. So I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

This is absolutely true. I remember being surprised at how poorly some people did on the exam when they seemed to get it in class. Law school exam taking is a skill separate from the actual learning and understanding of the material. I didn't really figure it out until the second year, which was too bad for my GPA. I got mostly C+ and Bs my first year and mostly As after I learned how to take the exams. And I don't think I suddenly learned the law better. It's all about the exams.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quepasa18 posted:

This is absolutely true. I remember being surprised at how poorly some people did on the exam when they seemed to get it in class. Law school exam taking is a skill separate from the actual learning and understanding of the material. I didn't really figure it out until the second year, which was too bad for my GPA. I got mostly C+ and Bs my first year and mostly As after I learned how to take the exams. And I don't think I suddenly learned the law better. It's all about the exams.

Yeah, recall of the facts of the case when questioned (which is what class tests) has virtually nothing to do with the use of the case on the exam.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when is law school supposed to get hard?
when you start looking for a job

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Law school's as hard as the other students, and as hard as finding a job is. This is like when people ask "Is the LSAT hard?"

It's a curve and you're trying to be higher on that curve so you can use your results for applying for things, so it's as hard as the people you're doing it against and as the ranking of your school makes it and as the job market makes it.

It also depends on what you're trying to do after law school. If your dream job is working in a mid-sized firm in the city of your law school, law school is much easier than if you want to work at a V5 firm's London office.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

In addition to 'it's not,' you've actually spent some time in 'real life.'

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Around the time finals are coming up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you tried going down on it?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He was in the Navy, so he would have been trained for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

joat mon posted:

He was in the Navy, so he would have been trained for that.

I couldn't have said it any better.

It does make sense that these people would be the ones that lived in the library during undergrad which would explain a lot. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Also understand that everyone has had different academic backgrounds.

I went to an undergrad institution whose curriculum and reading load was quite severe. By that standard, law school was actually an easier time, but that wasn't the case for most people I think.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

When you realize you have a -90% ROI on the biggest financial decision of your life.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SlyFrog posted:

Also understand that everyone has had different academic backgrounds.

I went to an undergrad institution whose curriculum and reading load was quite severe. By that standard, law school was actually an easier time, but that wasn't the case for most people I think.

The majority of my fellow students were either poly sci or economics majors. Quite a bit from FSU. I got my BS in eco back in 2010 from FSU. I doubt the curriculum has changed a lot since then, but there wasn't a dearth of reading.

If anything, dealing with navy instructions, memos, and other issuances probably has a much larger impact. I've been buried in legal documents of a sort as a part of my life for long enough that it's not too difficult to digest them.

Unamuno posted:

When you realize you have a -90% ROI on the biggest financial decision of your life.

I'm getting paid to go to law school, not the other way around. So really I'm just being a bum and forestalling life for a bit longer so I can continue to be irresponsible.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mr. Nice! posted:

The majority of my fellow students were either poly sci or economics majors. Quite a bit from FSU. I got my BS in eco back in 2010 from FSU. I doubt the curriculum has changed a lot since then, but there wasn't a dearth of reading.

If anything, dealing with navy instructions, memos, and other issuances probably has a much larger impact. I've been buried in legal documents of a sort as a part of my life for long enough that it's not too difficult to digest them.

I'm not talking about their majors, I'm talking about where they went to school. I spoke with my friends who went to other schools, and discovered that I was having to read and write probably 50-75% more than they were, though several of them were in the same major as I was. This is just on a pages per week/papers due basis.

Anyway, it is now pretty much a side-point to your overall question, so back to the original programming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I feel you. I'm just glad to have free time again. I got a puppy to celebrate.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
So verein firms....

Am I correct in understanding this is like an LLP made up for smaller LLPs/partnerships?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm getting paid to go to law school

This also makes law school much easier. Is it a scholarship+stipend or is an employer paying? Or a rich relative.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MoFauxHawk posted:

This also makes law school much easier. Is it a scholarship+stipend or is an employer paying? Or a rich relative.

Post 9-11 GI bill. Hence the Welfare Queen tag.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Mr. Nice! posted:

Post 9-11 GI bill. Hence the Welfare Queen tag.

Aha, I suspected as much, another rich privileged shithead having law school paid for by his rich Uncle Sam.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

insanityv2 posted:

So verein firms....

Am I correct in understanding this is like an LLP made up for smaller LLPs/partnerships?

It's a partnership of partnerships, essentially.

Edit: But each one remains a separate legal entity, so in the case of law firms a client of one member of the verien is not automatically a client of the rest.

Schitzo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 13, 2013

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Mr. Nice! posted:

1. Everyone lies about how much work they're doing.
2. The people who actually are working that much are doing it wrong.
3. Showing up to class is pretty easy. Wait until you take a final exam to really gauge where you stand vis-a-vis your classmates. Not to say finals are really hard or anything, but day-to-day work isn't the best measurement because, frankly, very little is expected of you -- if you even get cold called at all.

EDIT: I'm late to the party.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 13, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Everyone also lies about how little work they're doing (my law school was weird).

Law school is "hard" in the sense that it's a narrow cluster of ability and there are thin margins between different levels of performance, which are then used to project your future.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 13, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I spent some time browsing decisions on SamoaLII because hey, why not. It's all so quaint. Being a small island lawyer must be so much fun :shobon:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

Everyone also lies about how little work they're doing (my law school was weird).

Maybe at yale. I worked like two weeks a year in law school (clinics excluded).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I worked too much my first semester 1L year because I was flying blind, but still not nearly as much as folks around me claimed to be working. It was the same way for the bar. If you're studying 14 hours a day in June (or ever, really), you're going to have a bad time.