Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

I hope they added more treasure charts or something to make up for the fact that you're not dredging up triforce pieces because if at the end of the game I don't get to have a little red circle on every map square I will be so bothered.

I thought there was already a chart for every square before even counting the triumph forks charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nope, 8 of the squares only have a Triforce treasure chest.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Pixeltendo posted:

If they did make some dumb Super 3DS TV thing Kid icarus uprising would no longer be under the shackles of its control problems

If anything, the controls seem like they'd be worse.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Esk1 posted:

I've only used the wiimote, I assume it's the exact same as nsmb for the wii since it's built off that.

NSMBW doesn't use the Classic Controller though.

Also I finally figured it out. It's Down + X + B... for some reason. Why on earth did they map it like that when the Y button literally does nothing.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Welp, Amazon Instant Video just crashed on me three loving times in a row.

I think its time to give the Wii U some space as its apparently menstruating.

Or maybe I should be playing games on it, something that'll stop it from freezing video while keeping the sound running, or doing the traditional "Hang up and BEEP" thing.

Of course when it booted up and had that strange glitchy tone right before it loaded that should've been a good sign to be weary of the thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Try getting it to run anyhow, I had some glitches with the Amazon Instant Video while trying to watch a movie and they refunded the whole thing and gave me $5 credit in an email the next day.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Wii U version of Splinter Cell seems to have been patched. Is the game worth getting now?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The Wii U version of Splinter Cell seems to have been patched. Is the game worth getting now?

In the comments section people are still complaining about freezes in multiplayer and loading times. There's also this person:

quote:

This game is not just a buy, it's a MUST BUY. Disregard any upset posts, I can personally attest that Splinter Cell Blacklist is quite possibly the best 3rd party game on the Wii U, and it's not as glitchy as you think. Matter of fact, I've only encountered 2 glitches so far, and I'm on the final mission in single player and have played both Spies vs Mercs and co-op stages. Only major glitch was Spies vs Mercs, and that was NOT a Wii U version problem. That was on every version.

I'm seeing a lot of people say they enjoy it aside from the small issues like leaderboard problems. I really need a new game for my Wii U and I'm not sure whether I should try this out or grab up something I know will be good like Lego or Wind Waker HD.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I really need a new game for my Wii U and I'm not sure whether I should try this out or grab up something I know will be good like Lego or Wind Waker HD.

I feel the exact same way. I'm really tight for cash at the moment so I'm really looking for the best game to spend my money on.

...Which may end up being wind waker. I never played the original.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people say they enjoy it aside from the small issues like leaderboard problems. I really need a new game for my Wii U and I'm not sure whether I should try this out or grab up something I know will be good like Lego or Wind Waker HD.

Buy Rayman Legends. This is literally the only option.

unless you already have it, of course. :shobon:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JordanKai posted:

Buy Rayman Legends. This is literally the only option.

unless you already have it, of course. :shobon:

I wasn't a big fan of what I played to be honest. Never cared for Rayman style platforming. I get bored easily, even though it is a very pretty series.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people say they enjoy it aside from the small issues like leaderboard problems. I really need a new game for my Wii U and I'm not sure whether I should try this out or grab up something I know will be good like Lego

Lego? Are they actually making good video games now? Serious question, as I was never impressed with anything they've done since the 90s.

Has anyone played the remastered version of Duck Tales yet? That was one of my favorite NES games as a kid, but I haven't heard a lot about it yet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

How would a "3DS Player" handle something like this? Even ignoring the fact that you'd have to hold the gamepad sideways, and even ignoring how one screen is in front of you while the other is in your hand, the screen on the television would be flipped on its side as well. I realize Dream Team is definitely a fringe case, but short of a warning coming up on screen saying "we're embarrassed to say that you should probably play this on the 3DS and not on the player you just bought", I can't see how something like this could be logistically feasible.

The GamePad is big enough that I could see an option being "change output display to GamePad only" where it puts both screens on the GamePad and then having you be able to switch whether or not both screens are vertical. Certainly not an elegant solution, but it's not like it's impossible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EllisD posted:

Lego? Are they actually making good video games now? Serious question, as I was never impressed with anything they've done since the 90s.

A lot of people here have stated Lego Undercover as their favourite game of 2013.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Has anyone had Sonic All Stars hardlock the console before? We've had it happen twice now while playing it to the point where we had to actually unplug the console completely to restart it. It hasn't happened in any other game, but on the other hand we haven't really been playing anything else lately :ohdear:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

robodex posted:

Has anyone had Sonic All Stars hardlock the console before? We've had it happen twice now while playing it to the point where we had to actually unplug the console completely to restart it. It hasn't happened in any other game, but on the other hand we haven't really been playing anything else lately :ohdear:

This only happened to me once before one of the patches. However but at one point, every time I tried to load Netflix it would lock up the console. I'd have to plug, re-start and then once I tried it again it would work fine. Hasn't done that for a few weeks now though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Phantasium posted:

The GamePad is big enough that I could see an option being "change output display to GamePad only" where it puts both screens on the GamePad and then having you be able to switch whether or not both screens are vertical. Certainly not an elegant solution, but it's not like it's impossible.

This would be much more feasible if the screen's resolution wasn't complete dogshit.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A lot of people here have stated Lego Undercover as their favourite game of 2013.

It seems to have a lot of complaints about loading times and no co-op, but still lauded as the best Lego game ever made so it might be worth trying at least. If its a big favorite with those kind of problems, that isn't saying much.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
So I missed the bus on that Wind Waker HD special edition with figurine didn't I? Was this a pre-order only thing or is there a chance I could actually pick one of these up on launch day?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

TheScott2K posted:

This would be much more feasible if the screen's resolution wasn't complete dogshit.

WiiU gamepad is 854x480. 3DS is 400x240 for the top and 320x240 for the bottom screen. So yes, this actually works both in normal position and when rotated 90°.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Legdiian posted:

So I missed the bus on that Wind Waker HD special edition with figurine didn't I? Was this a pre-order only thing or is there a chance I could actually pick one of these up on launch day?

They're gone from both Amazon.com and UK, so I'd say you've been beaten. They were pretty "trip up the old biddy to get ahold of the last one" rare and wanted, so the odds were slim to begin with. And it's even more unlikely OzGameShop will manage to get their hands on a few for those of us in Australia where it's not getting released :negative:.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're gone from both Amazon.com and UK, so I'd say you've been beaten. They were pretty "trip up the old biddy to get ahold of the last one" rare and wanted, so the odds were slim to begin with. And it's even more unlikely OzGameShop will manage to get their hands on a few for those of us in Australia where it's not getting released :negative:.

In the UK they're exclusive to Game, so it wouldn't be on Amazon.co.uk anyway

They also appear to still be in stock there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Balobam posted:

In the UK they're exclusive to Game, so it wouldn't be on Amazon.co.uk anyway

They also appear to still be in stock there

Agh, how could I forget that? :doh:

Fingers crossed all round then, I guess.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

EllisD posted:

It seems to have a lot of complaints about loading times and no co-op, but still lauded as the best Lego game ever made so it might be worth trying at least. If its a big favorite with those kind of problems, that isn't saying much.

It's got a huge loading time upfront just to get to the menu and then load into the city although the transitions are seamless once you're going around parts of the city or the surrounding waters. Possibly because of the huge loading time upfront, if one had to guess.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Legdiian posted:

Ask a local store just in case. I've seen a couple people here and there with stores that still had a few pre-orders available.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chronojam posted:

It's got a huge loading time upfront just to get to the menu and then load into the city although the transitions are seamless once you're going around parts of the city or the surrounding waters. Possibly because of the huge loading time upfront, if one had to guess.

I quickly got used to the initial loading time too. It's really not an issue to me unless it disrupts the flow and enjoyment of the game but since the long load time is only at the beginning this doesn't really happen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In the comments section people are still complaining about freezes in multiplayer and loading times. There's also this person:

The single player is and already was largely fine. The patches weren't even issues anyone complained about. They even did a private match fix, but you can't use private match yet so it's worthless.

The MiiVerse community is in flames at the moment. Everyone is at everyone's throat over Ubisoft's negligence on fixing or even acknowledging there are problems. A dev finally showed up yesterday to say they were looking in to the problems. Everyone is trading in their games for W101 this weekend, so the community is about to go splat.

D&D:COM has a better online community than Blacklist at the moment.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Jesus Christ that's dire. How about Last of Us for one?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lego Marvel is GOTY. It's what Scribblenauts Unmasked wishes it was. Can't wait to play with Spider-Man and Howard the Duck in the same game.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Not everyone has a PS3.

Not everyone who played it, liked it.

*shrug*

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

"Favourite" and "Best of the Year" can be two different things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dunban posted:

Not everyone has a PS3.

*shrug*

Also Rayman Legends has come out since.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

"Favourite" and "Best of the Year" can be two different things.

And both are subjective. It's not like City Undercover and Last of Us are even the same genre.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I personally found Rayman Origins to be pretty underwhelming but I was comparing it to DKCR so it was hardly fair. I just wish 2D platforming would all but die out so we could have more Super Mario 3D land sequels.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I haven't played Lego City Undercover, but I have played The Last of Us. I remember people praising it for the story, but I also remember hating it because it was yet another cover shooter where you run from chest-high-wall to chest-high-wall shooting things in the head for the millionth time. And also you move ladders around and one of the characters looks like Ellen Page I guess.

Basically this:

Dunban posted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gannyGrabber posted:

I personally found Rayman Origins to be pretty underwhelming but I was comparing it to DKCR so it was hardly fair. I just wish 2D platforming would all but die out so we could have more Super Mario 3D land sequels.
Super Mario 3D Land felt like Crash Bandicoot in its design which is only a marginal step away from 2D platforming.

I want another game like Sunshine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I haven't played Lego City Undercover, but I have played The Last of Us. I remember people praising it for the story, but I also remember hating it because it was yet another cover shooter where you run from chest-high-wall to chest-high-wall shooting things in the head for the millionth time. And also you move ladders around and one of the characters looks like Ellen Page I guess.

Basically this:

I just think there's so many better "games of the year" than Lego City Undercover. I guess I'll see when top 10 lists come around at the end of the year, it's just blowing my mind people are hyping the game that much.

I mean, it's a decent game, but...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I just think there's so many better "games of the year" than Lego City Undercover. I guess I'll see when top 10 lists come around at the end of the year, it's just blowing my mind people are hyping the game that much.

You can say that a game is your favorite game this year and not mean it is "GOTY 2013" in the context of "this is objectively the best game of the year." For example, Rise of the Triad is my favorite game of 2013 thusfar. It plays like a '90s FPS. It's also a buggy mess of a game (that's getting a much needed patch later this year). That being said, I'm not calling it "GOTY 2013."

Though it really should be.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Again, "favourite game" is not the same as "Game of the Year" but if someone does want to say both, sure. I have played and finished the Last of Us and no sarcasm or jokes or haha's at all but Papers, Please is my choice for Game of the Year and favourite game of 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look, let's be honest here.

The GotY awards are going to go to GTAV even if they replace the discs with deadly gas that sprays into the face of the first person to open the box.

• Locked thread