Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That reminds me of this one time a traitor flushed his victim into disposals to die. He'd stripped the guy's jumpsuit and backpack (causing him to lose his ID as well), so he couldn't open the airlock to escape from the conveyor belt leading to the crusher, and had to keep running against the belt's movement to stay alive. However, the traitor had forgotten to remove his headset, so he was able to radio for help. Before anyone could come to help him, the quick-thinking traitor emptied out multiple bins of paper and flushed all of the sheets at the same time.

The unfortunate victim was standing directly in front of the disposal chute so as to remain as far away from the crusher as possible, so he was immediately struck by dozens upon dozens of sheets of paper traveling at high velocity. Though they dealt negligible damage individually, the sheer number of papercuts was apparently enough to stun and possibly mortally wound the guy. The papers formed a funeral cairn over his prone body, while the conveyor belt carried him in stately procession to the crusher.

Vib Rib posted:

SS13 being so perfect for griefing is its downfall as well, though. A lot of times when you play everyone wants to be "that guy" with the hilarious griefing story whether or not they're the traitor, so everyone's got swinging toolboxes and locker welding and banana throwing and open serial killing.

SS13: When everyone's "that guy"... no one is.

It's not really like that anymore. There's enough interesting, fun poo poo for everyone to do that most of the crew are generally focused on their jobs or their own little projects. Excessive shittiness like random murder and locker-welding as a nontraitor is a first-class ticket to getting yelled at and possibly punished by an admin, and if you get assaulted or otherwise inconvenienced by some mischievous ne'er-do-well, simply being a good sport about it will usually get them to leave you alone. The admins find tedious, unfunny griefers just as annoying as the rest of the players do, so most of them get weeded out fairly quickly due to adminhelps and whatnot.

Also, the lag is a lot better than it used to be. Like, a lot better. It still gets a little laggy occasionally, but never anywhere near as brutal as it got in its older iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I just concocted an elaborate bomb plot in SS13, which went about as well as I expected. I said this on the public radio channel, which everyone on the station can hear:

Dr. Kay [145.9] says, "Attention crew, this is your research director speaking. As a social experiment, I have hooked up a number of bombs around the station to a proximity sensor located just north of the airbridge. Anybody approaching said sensor will vaporise a large portion of the station. Thanks for listening"
Dr. Kay [145.9] says, "Oh also if anyone comes after me I'll set off the bombs"

I was hanging around near the sensor to see if anyone tripped it, and within 30 seconds the janitor Marc Murphy strolled past the sensor dragging his mop bucket, blowing up large parts of the station and killing a bunch of people. He was stunned by one of the blasts, but I wasn't since I was far enough away from it. I decided to kill him because why not? While I was strangling him, the detective Lawrence Thrisskeep walked up and this happened:

Lawrence Thrisskeep slurs, "Alrighff gome along quieffly"
Lawrence Thrisskeep slurs, "You're wanthfed for janiffor murder"
Dr. Kay says, "this janitor exploded the station"
Dr. Kay says, "I caught him for you"
Marc McMurphy gasps.
Dr. Kay says, "you're welcome"
Lawrence Thrisskeep slurs, "Do you gnow how mugh ffrouble you're in mishffer"
Lawrence Thrisskeep is trying to put a handcuffs on Marc McMurphy
Dr. Kay says, "yeah, Marc, you'll get it now"
Dr. Kay says, "good work, detective"
Dr. Kay salutes.

The janitor was arrested while he was dying from a bomb blast and strangulation, for carelessly walking past a proximity sensor I'd set up :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I just concocted an elaborate bomb plot in SS13, which went about as well as I expected. I said this on the public radio channel, which everyone on the station can hear:

Dr. Kay [145.9] says, "Attention crew, this is your research director speaking. As a social experiment, I have hooked up a number of bombs around the station to a proximity sensor located just north of the airbridge. Anybody approaching said sensor will vaporise a large portion of the station. Thanks for listening"

I was hanging around near the sensor to see if anyone tripped it, and within 30 seconds the janitor Marc Murphy strolled past the sensor dragging his mop bucket, blowing up large parts of the station and killing a bunch of people. He was stunned by one of the blasts, but I wasn't since I was far enough away from it. I decided to kill him because why not? While I was strangling him, the detective Lawrence Thrisskeep walked up and this happened:

Marc McMurphy gasps.
Dr. Kay salutes.

The janitor was arrested while he was dying from a bomb blast and strangulation, for carelessly walking past a proximity sensor I'd set up :v:

I like your work.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's not really like that anymore. There's enough interesting, fun poo poo for everyone to do that most of the crew are generally focused on their jobs or their own little projects. Excessive shittiness like random murder and locker-welding as a nontraitor is a first-class ticket to getting yelled at and possibly punished by an admin, and if you get assaulted or otherwise inconvenienced by some mischievous ne'er-do-well, simply being a good sport about it will usually get them to leave you alone. The admins find tedious, unfunny griefers just as annoying as the rest of the players do, so most of them get weeded out fairly quickly due to adminhelps and whatnot.

I've managed to get away with murdering people as a non-traitor, though. Possibly because an admin thought it was funny. I was the Head of Personnel. Within about a minute of starting, the Research Director showed up at my booth and killed himself. This gave me an idea. I covered the corpse's face with a welding mask and tied it to my chair so that nobody would be able to tell it was dead unless they examined it. Then I put on my own mask, gave myself an ID with the same name as the Research Director, and built myself a fort out of a pile of papers that would cover most of my sprite. With my preparations complete, I began my new life as Guy Mcman, Definitely Alive Research Director Who Isn't A Skeleton.

Essentially, via the careful use of custom emotes, I managed to make it seem like the corpse was speaking. Since people couldn't see me, they couldn't figure out what I was doing.I spent most of the round changing out IDs while pretending that I was the rotting corpse tied to the chair. The funniest part of this was Luis Smith carrying on a conversation with me for upwards of 15 minutes and not realizing that the RD was dead and that I wasn't him. But near the end of the round, two men broke into my booth, intent on exposing me. However, they foolishly attacked the skeleton while I crouched hidden in my paper fort. For daring to challenge the Skeleton King, they were dragged into my hidden papery lair to be strangled to death while a very confused crowd watched from outside. Then Daeren managed to figure out exactly what I was doing, and after a short standoff with Security I was taken down and the Skeleton RD was unmasked before a still pretty drat confused crowd. At this point the shuttle was about to leave, but as a final curse the rogue AI sealed Daeren and the Security team into the customs booth, leaving them forever trapped in the lair of the Skeleton King while the shuttle left without them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo, you reenacted Weekend at Bernie's in SS13, you are a god.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Five parts Weekend at Bernie's, two parts Wizard of Oz, one part Cask of Amontillado.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

This thread has given me lots of entertainment, so I'll try and give a little bit back.

Let me tell you about Dark Souls!

1. A lot of people take ~Honour~ very seriously when it comes to PvP.
2. Many of these same people HATE being killed by magic.

When you do an emote in Dark Souls, you're basically locked into the motion until it's been completed. A lot of the ~Honour~ duelists have made up their own rules like 'always bow before fighting', no using healing items, let your opponent use buffs at the start of combat, etc. Of course it only works if everybody follows your made up rules.

I made a glass-cannon Mage character who is extremely fragile, but hits like a truck. When I invade somebody with this guy and they bow towards me, they're just setting themselves up to catch a one-shot spell in the face. Poorly spelled hatemail usually follows, calling me a noob, a cheater, questioning my parentage, slinging racial/ethnic slurs, or all of the above.

The game designers have put in several emotes that seem designed just to inspire rage in people after you kill them.
"Well! What is it!" makes your character do an arms spread 'come at me bro!' kind of pose.
"Look skyward!" makes your dude do a facepalm, and shake his head.

There's also a utility spell you can get that is supposed to lure enemies towards the sound. The sound is a high-pitched giggle. After one-shotting somebody who was in the middle of a bow, you can fire this at the spot they died to giggle at them. You're almost guaranteed to get some rage messages.

Fellow Goon EC has created a Tumblr Page for Dark Souls hatemail submissions.

There's an area of the game called Sen's Fortress that is a giant keep filled with traps. At the very top of the keep, just before the next Bonfire checkpoint, is a narrow catwalk you have to cross. There are three swinging pendulum blades that will knock you off to your death, and a Serpent mage standing off on a side platform who shoots lightning spells at you while trying to cross. If you DO get across, you're on another narrow walkway with two pressure plates that trigger rapid-fire darts.

This is my favourite spot to invade people. When you spawn into another player's world, you appear on a tiny walkway ABOVE that last narrow catwalk. If you're patient, you can stand there and wait for the host to come by, and do a plunging attack onto them, doing huge critical damage. My favourite thing to do is stand on the far side of the catwalk, and pull out my Dragonslayer bow. The Dragonslayer bow is around 7 feet high, and fires arrows the size of spears. If you hit somebody with it, you'll knock them flying back. By camping at this last catwalk, I can roadblock most people indefinitely. When they try to dash across the catwalk, they have to dodge the swinging blades, the Serpent mage, and now my giant arrows flying at them.
If they DO manage to get across, they either have to face me, and get shot in the back by the dart traps, or, block the dart traps, and get stabbed in the back by me. The icing on the cake is, once you've died, your souls (gained by killing enemies, used for buying stuff/leveling up) stay where you died as a bloodstain. Now that person has to go all the way back through the fortress again to recover their bloodstain. If they die a second time before recovering their stain, then all their souls disappear.

Most people will hang around in the last doorway before the catwalk, and try taking potshots at me with arrows. However, if they can hit me, then I can hit them, and my arrows are much, much bigger. One dude hung around for almost a half hour trying to snipe at me, using up all his heals when I would tag him back. He ended up disconnecting to get away. Hopefully, it corrupted his save file for him.

A creative grief some folks use is wear super-heavy armour, hold up a massive shield, and physically block the other player from advancing. If you've built your character to have high HP and Endurance, and you can dodge the occasional magic shot, you can completely stonewall people.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Fellow Goon EC has created a Tumblr Page for Dark Souls hatemail submissions.

I don't even play Dark Souls and yet this page is as ambrosia to my eyes. :allears:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

The Zombie Guy posted:

I made a glass-cannon Mage character who is extremely fragile, but hits like a truck. When I invade somebody with this guy and they bow towards me, they're just setting themselves up to catch a one-shot spell in the face.

Please say this character is named Indiana Jones or something along those lines.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

Please say this character is named Indiana Jones or something along those lines.

Unfortunately, I'm not that clever. My Wizard is named Flagg.

Another great part of using magic in Dark Souls is the Chameleon spell.

The spell turns you into an object that blends in with the whatever area you're in.

This lets you set up amazing ambushes.

One of the side-effects of invading and killing other players is getting 'Sin'.
You get Sin by either murdering NPCs who are non-hostile, or invading and killing other players, who then use an Indictment item on you once they die. After you build up some Sin, you'll start getting invaded by the Blades of the Darkmoon, the PvP "police".

When my invasions get interrupted by a Darkmoon, I'll use Chameleon to blend in somewhere, and wait for them to come hunting for me. Once they walk past my hiding spot, I'll fire a spell into their back, killing most folks in one shot. A lot of people won't have memorized the position of every random pot and barrel in the game, so it's easy to get away with this. The best part is pulling this trick on the same invader over and over by hiding in a slightly different spot every time. I get a lot of rage mail for not "fighting fair".

Another wonderful spell that was introduced in the DLC is called Dark Bead. Dark Bead acts like a magical shotgun, firing out a bunch of black beads in a horizontal fan pattern in front of you. If your victim is close enough, then they can get hit with several beads, causing heaps of damage. It's easy to roll through if you know what you're doing, but the majority of people don't know what they're doing. Most folks have the instinct to rush at a magic-user and try to squash them quickly before they can cast a spell. Dark Bead makes them regret doing that.

E: vvv Here's the one

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 11, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

bucketmouse posted:

Funny story: somewhere on YouTube there is a video of an actual Indiana Jones gimmick character griefing people in Sen's Fortress by punching them off cliffs, whipping them, and tricking them into getting crushed by boulders.

edit: found it! Unfortunately the Indy music and the awesome voice rage are inaudible due to copyright fuckery :(
The clusterfuck at the very end is fantastic.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 11, 2013

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I haven't done much in Dark Souls PvP other than also smacking people with high damage spells while they bow (Forest Hunters don't have a code of honor :colbert:). Anyway, I'd like to share a couple videos I enjoyed.

I'll need to explain parrying and ripostes first. Parrying in Dark Souls knocks aside your opponent's weapon and leaves them open for a riposte. The parry has to be well timed in order to work. A riposte is a critical hit that deals a lot of damage. There is an item called the Hornet Ring that increases the amount of damage a critical hit does.

Hitting someone with your bare fists does only 1 or 2 damage in most cases. This guy hangs out in an area of the game that gets invaded by the Forest Hunters (other players who are part of a in-game group). He's naked, and challenges them to a fistfight. When they accept...

The armor and weapon this person is using are commonly used by new players. Part 2.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Another great part of using magic in Dark Souls is the Chameleon spell.

The spell turns you into an object that blends in with the whatever area you're in.

This lets you set up amazing ambushes.

Since you also mentioned invading in Sen's Fortress, I wanted to link this video of someone using Chameleon and Force in that area (and a bit of Dragonslayer Greatbow as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2U-zKGMK-s

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Infinite Monkeys posted:

It is a shame that the BYOND engine is utter crap as I really want to play this game. When is the remake due?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It is a shame that the BYOND engine is utter crap as I really want to play this game. When is the remake due?

Shortly after HL3.

No real date, they're working as fast as they can with other jobs and real life poo poo, probably a good while yet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Clearly they need a Kickstarter. And OUYA is handing out free money at the moment. Sure you have to stay on the OUYA for 6 months but they just have to copy what the Gridiron Thunder people are doing. Shove out an alpha game to get a slice of the pie then spend that 6 months exclusivity actually polishing the game for a real release.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A great new glitch in TF2 has recently been discovered that involves making your duel partner your coach. It leads to some interesting map clipping, allowing stuff like building Sentry Guns under the map.

Better get your fill of this exploit in now, because I'm sure Valve will release a patch any day now.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The Zombie Guy posted:

A creative grief some folks use is wear super-heavy armour, hold up a massive shield, and physically block the other player from advancing. If you've built your character to have high HP and Endurance, and you can dodge the occasional magic shot, you can completely stonewall people.

The biggest irony is that early on in Sen's Fortress you can pick up a weapon that specifically ignores shields.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My favorite is the guy who does cosplay PvP as Indiana Jones and only invades Sen's :allears:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
My favorite is the guy who waits for someone else to invade him, then equips a thing that makes other NPCs not notice him as readily and disguise himself as another enemy somewhere on the map. The invader has no indication of which one is the 'real' player unless he attacks every single NPC, and if the invader ever stops near the player to check their inventory or send him hatemail or something he whips out a humongous axe and crushes them with it.

He'll frequently do this on narrow catwalks so that even if the axe doesn't kill them instantly it knocks them off to their deaths.

If someone can link those videos again (and others like them) I'd be grateful. :allears:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Being a griefy AI in SS13 is not nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be. I played a straight HAL gimmick a month or so back after a onehuman law had been uploaded, and I'd been given a secret mission to help take out the traitor's assassination targets. One of them managed to squeal on me and within a few minutes I had a crack engineering team in my upload ready to bash my console. So I quoted HAL some more and "sang" daisy. They were entertained enough to simply reset my laws, and I got a lot of positive feedback about my performance via OOC at the end of the round.

It doesn't matter how bad or trite your gimmick is, if you just try to stick with it and be entertaining. People are so used to murderous AIs just being dead silent, that when you try to actually roleplay a rampant one, people appreciate it and will cut you tons of slack. An AI's control over the machinery of the station is not nearly as powerful a tool as being able to access all the comms is. Humans can physically stop you from loving up too much of the station most times, but if they're all on your side because you're being awesome (or at least trying pretty convincingly), that gives you a hell of a lot of wiggle room.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Marc McMurphy gasps.
Dr. Kay salutes.

Hey now mister, I may be swayed into putting cuffs on someone that set off bombs but I don't let nobody die! The janitor was dusted off and set up with internals before I let him get on with janitoring or whatever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Here's an SS13 grief thingy that I've done a few times when I've been really, really bored: Invisible Wall.

This requires 2 things: Magnetic Boots and patience(a welding tool also helps but is not required). Magnetic boots are boots that prevent you from being moved. Normally if someone runs into you or grabs you, they can push/pull you around. But with the magnetic boots on, you're rooted to the spot and the only way someone can get past you is to punch you until you fall down and step over your body, or take the boots off your feet(which you can stop by running away). Now, you can slap the boots on and stand in the way of people, but they'll just stun you and steal your boots. However, I also figured out a way to glitch my character's sprite so that it appears one square to the left or right of where my character actually is.
For example:
[1][2][3]
My character is standing in space two, and people trying to hit me would have to be next to space two, and anyone running through space 2 would run into me, but my sprite is shown standing in space 3. This trick is not particularly useful, although it does confuse people and is funny. The griefing comes in putting on the mag boots, and then shifting my sprite over. If I am standing in space 2, and space 3 contains a metal grille, the grille covers the sprite. So nothing is shown in space 2, where I actually am, and the sprite in space 3 is underneath another sprite. This renders me effectively invisible as long as I don't move. With the magboots on, I cannot be moved, and with no visible sprite people don't know that I'm there and even if they figure it out have no sprite to click on to attack me. I am an invisible wall. The absolute best place to do this is on the bridge that connects the two halves of the station together, because it has two doors with a grille in between them. Weld a door shut, stand in the other door and completely block off the two halves of the station forever without anyone knowing how or why. People run through the bridge, reach a space that is by all appearances completely empty and then stop dead in their tracks when they run into me. Watching people trying to figure out what is blocking them is hilarious, and typically people will try for upwards of 5 minutes before deciding that it's easier to just go and get the tools required to break through the other door. Literally the only way to dislodge me is to figure out that I am there and then get a gun and fire wildly at something behind me, and even then if I have medical supplies it takes them forever to bring me down.

Also, the whole "door next to a grille" configuration is extremely common on the station, meaning the Wall can show up almost anywhere, any time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Constable Lemon posted:

A great new glitch in TF2 has recently been discovered that involves making your duel partner your coach. It leads to some interesting map clipping, allowing stuff like building Sentry Guns under the map.

Better get your fill of this exploit in now, because I'm sure Valve will release a patch any day now.

I loved the part where they were running around on top of the world, much more fun than hiding under the map. Seeing them all running around and building sentries in midair was great.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

President Ark posted:

My favorite is the guy who waits for someone else to invade him, then equips a thing that makes other NPCs not notice him as readily and disguise himself as another enemy somewhere on the map. The invader has no indication of which one is the 'real' player unless he attacks every single NPC, and if the invader ever stops near the player to check their inventory or send him hatemail or something he whips out a humongous axe and crushes them with it.

He'll frequently do this on narrow catwalks so that even if the axe doesn't kill them instantly it knocks them off to their deaths.

If someone can link those videos again (and others like them) I'd be grateful. :allears:

The guy in THIS video dresses up as an NPC who stands in a certain spot in one of the main PVP areas.

Cue clueless invaders (the blue and red phantoms running around) trying to find the guy. In this game, you can find and wear the gear of most humanoid enemies and NPCs, leading to lots of Cosplay potential.

Before I post another one of my favourite Dark Souls griefy videos, I'll give some background for non-DS players.
When you beat the game, you get to start over in New Game + with all your equipment and levels intact. Only now, all the enemies have more HP, and hit way harder. You beat the game again? Well now it gets even harder in NG+2. The difficulty continues to ramp up to NG+7! At that point, even the weakest enemies in the game do boss-level damage.

There is a PvP group you can join that let's you 'infect' other players, which spawns super-tough Black Phantom versions of regular enemies in their world. On NG+7, these Black Phantoms can easily one-shot a player with high end gear and stats.

Now here's the kicker: There's a little-used spell called Undead Rapport that lets you "charm" certain enemies. Charmed enemies will fight against invaders. So HERE'S a video of the player using NG+7 enemies as unstoppable bodyguards who absolutely steamroll invaders.

At around 03:05 in the video, you can see the player charming a massive Berenike Knight. These guys are a mini-boss all on their own, and this one is a Black Phantom version, in NG+7. Cue splattered invaders.

:darksouls: is the gift that keeps on griefing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

President Ark posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same one you're thinking of, but I remember watching these videos a while ago.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Zombie Guy posted:

So HERE'S a video of the player using NG+7 enemies as unstoppable bodyguards who absolutely steamroll invaders.

Every single Red Rosie griefing video is worth watching.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
Team AVO came out with a new video, it is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHIAMX45s8

e: actually after rewatching this, it's actually pretty terrible! Sorry guys.

Titty Warlord fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 12, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

quote:

Space Station 13
So this thing is basically multiplayer Dwarf Fortress in space, yeah? :psyduck:

I, too, am boggled that it can run on BYOND. I am boggled that it runs, period; the sheer ludicrous number of systems at play, interacting with each other at all times in some of those stories just floors me.

Content!
I used to have a grief that turned out to be waaaay more pro than I intended in Team Fortress Classic, along the lines of "I am mad at you for not playing how I want you to play."
My M.O.? Suicide bombing Engineer. TFC Engineer had a special grenade, the EMP Grenade. It did little or no damage on its own, but anybody caught in its effect would have their ammo detonated. This would empty them of ammunition and, for most classes, do huge damage if they weren't already running low. I had a special binding macro set up for my grenade button. The first press would set the fuse counting down, and the second press would throw the grenade. I did not usually need the second press.

I had two main strategies. The first was simply charging the enemy base head-on. If I saw a squad of enemies coming out, I would prime my grenade. Nine times out of ten, they would gun me down like it's nothing and, as they ran over my corpse and toward my base, my post-humous grenade would go off and kill the whole party. After about three of these events in a row, I would start to see some pretty excellent rage in the chat.

The second strategy would occur because I was still playing my class- before I began my suicide runs, I would always set up my autogun like a good Engi does. Sometimes I would catch somebody rushing into our base while I was doing maintenance- then it was game time. It confuses people when they suddenly die without shots fired. I would run up behind, for example, overconfident Heavies, grenade primed in my pocket, and take us both out. Delicious tears every time.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

deadly_pudding posted:

Yep, and everyone's been taken by a fell mood.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Team AVO came out with a new video, it is amazing.

-avo vid-

hey i watched this entire thing but I wasn't able to find anything remotely funny, can you help me?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Daman posted:

hey i watched this entire thing but I wasn't able to find anything remotely funny, can you help me?

see a doctor, you seem to have a dislocated funnybone

wOOOOAH

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No, it's really not very funny at all. It's just "hey we found some guy who's a pervert, let's flirt with him for like twenty minutes and then eventually reveal we're dudes".

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

No, it's really not very funny at all. It's just "hey we found some guy who's a pervert, let's flirt with him for like twenty minutes and then eventually reveal we're dudes".

I was just messing, but personally I find it amusing how textbook creep the guy is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ YMMV

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think from the point of view of the guy being griefed they were completely invisible, equipment and all, because Team Avo uses hacks. So this dude was teleported into a fake strip club and flirted with by invisible players that only communicated by signs and it STILL took him like 15 minutes to realize that they weren't legit, and even then it was only when one of them accidentally toggled their invisibility off and he saw that the account had a guy's name.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think from the point of view of the guy being griefed they were completely invisible, equipment and all, because Team Avo uses hacks. So this dude was teleported into a fake strip club and flirted with by invisible players that only communicated by signs and it STILL took him like 15 minutes to realize that they weren't legit, and even then it was only when one of them accidentally toggled their invisibility off and he saw that the account had a guy's name.

0:00-7:30 - nothing creepy, just 15 y/os giggling over voice chat and building a ~minecraft-stripclub~

rest of vid: commentary by Reddit Masters, like ~6 cringeworthy lines of this kid trying to hit on internet-girls, and then the guy says "loving gay bro" upon reveal(with actual laughtrack provided by team avo), leaves. wow. such grief. so raged. quality reaction.

actual content(gets kid banned from multiple servers, guy rages over the mic, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0AMAfK2Y4
same guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJ2ko0-wng

Daman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2013

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I, too, am boggled that it can run on BYOND. I am boggled that it runs, period; the sheer ludicrous number of systems at play, interacting with each other at all times in some of those stories just floors me.

SS13 is pretty much Sealab 2021, Dwarf Fortress, and the Stanford prison experiment rolled into one glorious ball of gibs, poo (rip), admin fuckery and traitors.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

deadly_pudding posted:

It doesn't. There have been some points when it has actually run pretty well, early donutstation comes to mind. But now we're back to massive lag if there are lots of people on or lots of things exploding.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nathilus posted:

It doesn't. There have been some points when it has actually run pretty well, early donutstation comes to mind. But now we're back to massive lag if there are lots of people on or lots of things exploding.

A common ss13 experience is the telltale sound of someone combining black powder with smoke powder, AKA explosion.ogg playing 50 times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dauntasa posted:

A common ss13 experience is the telltale sound of someone combining black powder with smoke powder, AKA explosion.ogg playing 50 times.

Look, I'm going to slap mining charges to erebite deposits and there's nothing you can do about it!

It was always amusing to do because it lagged the hell out of the station for a short time, created something like ten or so rapid explosions that could be heard from the station, and freaked people out because they assumed that several strong bombs just blew up the station. Once people found out it was the miners, some rear end in a top hat from research would set off actual bombs and kill everyone that no longer registered explosions as a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
The stupid poo poo that happens by accident/misadventure are the best parts of SS13 for me.

I was sitting in the bar with a bunch of other dudes, while one of them was flicking single credit bills around the room and setting them on fire with his zippo. Since it was the bar, glasses were also being thrown around and they smash onto fragments no matter what they hit. This made me wonder if whatever liquid that was present in the glass is transferred to whatever the glass is smashed into. I tested a bunch of liquids from water, juice and liquor and seeing no signs of puddles or residue I decided to up the ante to welding fuel.

I chose a seldom trod passageway in the bar that led to a maintenance passageway (wherefrom I procured the fuel) and a side entrance to the Bar (the barman being deceased.) I decided this was to be my target area, with the Hoi Polloi out of harms reach, while close enough to observe the spectacle if something should occur. I tossed one of the still flaming credits into the far end of the passageway, quickly followed by the glass of welding fuel... aaannnnnd jack poo poo happened.

For about 30 seconds anyway.

Dejected, I wallowed with my honking, farting brethren. The chef, deciding I was quite the shithead for breaking all his glasses began to collect the broken shards (breaking a plate over my head for the trouble.) The chef observed the glass shard in the experiment zone and dutifully wondered into the danger area to collect it. -FOOOOOOM- :supaburn: The whole passageway spontaneously burst into flame, with poor Mr chef stuck in the middle of the inferno. Such was his state of panic he rapidly circuited the bar silently, aflame, like some kind of culinary demon. The patrons found this quite amusing and did little to help other than shout 'stop drop and roll'.

Fearing the wrath of the admins for unsanctioned chef slaying, I set out to aid him with a fire extinguisher. Chasing him down, I neglected to unsafety the extinguisher, also changing my HARM intent, So I was smashing poor little chef in the head with it, repeatedly. Unfortunately for him, the fire extinguisher is something the regulars of SS13 would refer to as robust and so he was quickly clubbed into a state of burning unconsciousness. Realizing my error, I readied the extinguisher and began to douse him, unfortunately again, I still hadn't reset my intent to HELP so I was still crushing his skull while dousing him in fire retardant at the same time. I managed to put him out, but the cumulative damage from the fire and blunt trauma had knocked him into critical health. I attempted to preform CPR but a wily medical cyborg whisked him off to medbay.

I never found out what happened to poor old chef :( I sat in the bar waiting for an admin PM that never came. The bar patrons tried to deduce what my beef with the chef was, whilst sipping beer and fine liquor. TL;DR Set a innocent dude on fire while experimentin' and probably beat him to death trying to help him.

• Locked thread