Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For some reason, last night my 4S decided to no longer charge when I connect it to the wall charger. I've tried multiple different charge cubes and multiple different USB cables. However, when I plug it into my computer, it charges just fine. I charged it with my car charger last night too and that worked just fine. So I'm thinking it's just the wall charger. What's the deal with that?

Is the outlet broken? Or connected to a light switch which was turned off at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

withak posted:

Is the outlet broken? Or connected to a light switch which was turned off at the time?
Nope, neither. Connected to a power strip which also has a lamp and a box fan connected to it, and both of those were on and working fine.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Sounds like you fried the plug connector.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SunknLiner posted:

Sounds like you fried the plug connector.
On the phone itself? Why would it be working through USB to my computer and my car, though?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

On the phone itself? Why would it be working through USB to my computer and my car, though?

It wouldn't make any sense if he was talking about the one on your phone. :x

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The plug on the little cube, instead.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a 5 and I haven't used a case I like very much. I think I'd be happiest with something like a thick plastic film or skin... the phone is great on its own, but a little slippery for me. Are skins still a thing? Any recommended brands (especially if they're inexpensive)?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

the milk machine posted:

I have a 5 and I haven't used a case I like very much. I think I'd be happiest with something like a thick plastic film or skin... the phone is great on its own, but a little slippery for me. Are skins still a thing? Any recommended brands (especially if they're inexpensive)?
Case skins are absolutely a thing. Bodyguardz is the de facto brand.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I use the Bodyguardz carbon fiber skin and love it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey I finally managed to sell my phone. Yay me! $425 is not bad. Not bad at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don Tacorleone posted:

The plug on the little cube, instead.
Oh. But like I said in my original post, I've tried multiple cubes and it doesn't work with any of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Oh. But like I said in my original post, I've tried multiple cubes and it doesn't work with any of them.

That leaves the outlet as the bad guy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Would it has something to do with voltage? I know nothing about voltage. What I do know is the iPhone has a 5 or something cap, but I don't think computers charge at the same speed as outlets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

withak posted:

That leaves the outlet as the bad guy.
I've tried multiple outlets too :negative:

I'll pick up a new charging apparatus later and see if that fixes the issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That leaves user error as the bad guy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I've tried multiple outlets too :negative:

I'll pick up a new charging apparatus later and see if that fixes the issue.

Are they legit chargers or knock-offs? I once bought 6 charging cables from Deal Extreme and 5 of them died within days of each other. It was pretty amazing and almost unbelievable, but that's what it was, once I had an official cable it worked again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don Tacorleone posted:

Are they legit chargers or knock-offs? I once bought 6 charging cables from Deal Extreme and 5 of them died within days of each other. It was pretty amazing and almost unbelievable, but that's what it was, once I had an official cable it worked again.
A mix. A couple of them are official Apple cubes and some of them are chargers I got for either like $1 or $5 from Amazon. But all of them have always worked in the past, so that's why I'm thinking it's my phone itself.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
My sister had this happen to her iphone 4. It wasn't the charger it was the dock connector. Apparently there are different pins for charging over USB vs the wall wart.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

echobucket posted:

My sister had this happen to her iphone 4. It wasn't the charger it was the dock connector. Apparently there are different pins for charging over USB vs the wall wart.

USB has fixed pinouts, power and ground are always on the same pins.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason I tried one more cable with my original wall charge cube and it worked fine :shepface:

So thanks for the help guys! I guess all my other cables were just bad.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I hadn't been treating my lightning cable with particular care until I realized they cost $30, holy poo poo Apple are raping our gaping asses and they are jerking off afterwards with the video.

The manufacturing cost of those cables can't be more than a couple dollars and I'm being generous.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Pro: Apple products tend to be well made, and the company stands behind them 100%.

Con: Better have deep pockets to afford all that quality and service.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Monoprice has Lightning to USB cables for $12

Monoprice cables are always inexpensive and high quality. I use them for the majority of my cabling needs. And I've been looking at getting some of these Lightning cables for when I get my 5S next week.

Plus these are "Made For iPod/iPhone/iPad", and that's supposed to be some kind of genuine Apple seal of approval.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

I hadn't been treating my lightning cable with particular care until I realized they cost $30, holy poo poo Apple are raping our gaping asses and they are jerking off afterwards with the video.

The manufacturing cost of those cables can't be more than a couple dollars and I'm being generous.

$21 here in North America, and they're high quality and sold by Apple. It's like complaining about a white shirt or the same one made by Nike - higher price but usually a lot better quality and the name brand raises it up.

I feel Apple gets most of the hate but every higher end company does it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Lightnings fall under a 1-year warranty. I had several crap out near the phone/lightning plug end where I had to wiggle it around to get it to connect, apple barely let me finish explaining before they were throwing a new one at me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Lightnings fall under a 1-year warranty. I had several crap out near the phone/lightning plug end where I had to wiggle it around to get it to connect, apple barely let me finish explaining before they were throwing a new one at me.

That's pretty common. We swap out several a week for that reason, both our house brand and the official Apple ones. I'm sure it's because they're still fairly new, but lightning cables seem to have a much higher failure rate than the old dock cables.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

That's pretty common. We swap out several a week for that reason, both our house brand and the official Apple ones. I'm sure it's because they're still fairly new, but lightning cables seem to have a much higher failure rate than the old dock cables.

I find a lot of people just don't unplug their cables properly. Pull from the plastic bit, not the cable. That wrecks them fast and you can easily tell when people do it.

Kinda like that except maybe not that bad

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 13, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I find a lot of people just don't unplug their cables properly. Pull from the plastic bit, not the cable. That wrecks them fast and you can easily tell when people do it.

Kinda like that except maybe not that bad

Yeah, you are correct in that particular damage is caused by that method, but it also illustrates the number one example of a warranty swap cable. The wear near the shielding of the connector is covered under warranty, so if unplugging the cord improperly as you have shown causes the damage, unplugging it this way is apparently accepted as a proper method by Apple.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone legit concerned about the finger print / NSA potential security / privacy thing? Is that 'a thing'?

gregday
May 23, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone legit concerned about the finger print / NSA potential security / privacy thing? Is that 'a thing'?

Not really.

The fingerprint image itself is never saved, just a sort of data map derived from key information about the print. That data is stored in a separate area of the A7, in the "Secure Enclave" that only the home button can access. Once the home button authenticates it, it serves as a sort of keychain unlock -- no other part of iOS ever gets involved in the mechanism. On top of that, that data is never uploaded to any server or backed up to iCloud at all.

I still wonder if that data is backed up to local computer iTunes backups, but given the way the rest of it works, I would think no.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ICHIBAHN posted:

I was in the Marines so they already have my fingerprints. That said what would they be able to do with fingerprints? I wouldn't care if they had everyone's fingerprint. I am more concern with them reading my emails, texts, or MMS. I have nothing to hide, but that is an invasion of privacy.

Edit: To be clear I would be concern if they was collecting fingerprints without our knowledge (like the concern of ICHIBAN). What I am trying to say is I would be ok if everyone had to get fingerprinted (for example) when they got a driver licenses.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 13, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

A mix. A couple of them are official Apple cubes and some of them are chargers I got for either like $1 or $5 from Amazon. But all of them have always worked in the past, so that's why I'm thinking it's my phone itself.

Using off-brand and knockoff chargers is a really bad idea, actually, because they sometimes don't give sufficient power. Which means your iPhone takes longer to charge and it may gradually shorten the life of your battery. All over saving $20-30 on a charger. This applies to any smartphones or other electronics. At least use a Samsung or Motorola or other legit name brand charger, if you aren't going to use an Apple one.

There's generally no problem with the knockoff cables, but they never last as long as an Apple or other brand name cable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is funny how many people think after this announcement that a fingerprint hash is a magic token that somehow allows a bad guy to gain complete power over you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

withak posted:

It is funny how many people think after this announcement that a fingerprint hash is a magic token that somehow allows a bad guy to gain complete power over you.

Yeah, I mean if someone really wants your prints 1) You probably did something very wrong and 2) They could probably lift your prints from any of the thousands of things you touch per day.

This isn't Back to the Future 2 where having your thumb print means gaining access to your home/bank account/etc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i really wonder what someone could even do with my fingerprint. The only time I remember getting my fingerprint taken was when I killed that guy, but I have no idea what someone would do with that fingerprint other than frame me for another murder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's good to ask the questions though, it shows people are getting concerned about what happens to their data. A year ago most of us would have been all "WOOHOO PIN-LESS UNLOCKS!! YAY!!"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've seen some Facebook chatter about this already. I feel like this could be a legit PR problem Apple has to deal with since everyone loves to be an armchair security analyst these days. I feel like every week I see some stupid "IF YOU REPOST THIS MESSAGE, FACEBOOK IS NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO USE YOUR PHOTOS!!" post. People can get really riled up about perceived privacy issues, even (especially) when they have no idea what the facts are.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Who gives a gently caress about their fingerprints?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Dude, didn't you guys see The Dark Knight Rises???? A fingerprint is all they need, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hope you wear gloves literally all the time. Wouldn't want anyone to be able to steal your fingerprint!

• Locked thread