Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I looked through the crash logs and nothing abnormal jumped out at me. After you log back in, does it still crash when you try to log out?

If yes, does it still happen if you delete Awful and reinstall it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's funny because as soon as I posted that, all of the sudden the app is running normally now. I'm thinking it was just a local problem with my iPad then. Its kind of old and does tend to glitch out every now and then.

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway.

Edit: No, actually it didn't. I think I've located the problem. When I go to log out while I'm inside a thread it will fake log out and crash, but if I'm just on the app home screen, then I can log out no problem. Deleting and re-installing doesn't do anything either.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 2, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Edit: No, actually it didn't. I think I've located the problem. When I go to log out while I'm inside a thread it will fake log out and crash, but if I'm just on the app home screen, then I can log out no problem. Deleting and re-installing doesn't do anything either.

This is very helpful, thanks! One last thing: iPad or iPhone?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
iPad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks! I'll take a look.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Suggestion: add an option to open maps.google.com links in the google maps app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

Suggestion: add an option to open maps.google.com links in the google maps app.

Now on the list!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have been getting this error today. Signal quality isn't that great in some parts of my workplace but I am able to browse the web just fine and use other apps when I have been getting this error.
iPhone 5 (Verizon)
iOS 6.1.4

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

I have been getting this error today. Signal quality isn't that great in some parts of my workplace but I am able to browse the web just fine and use other apps when I have been getting this error.
iPhone 5 (Verizon)
iOS 6.1.4

Can you browse the forums in Safari when you're getting that error?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I didn't try that but next time I will try and remember to do so and report back.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Should I be concerned that the beta version is telling me that the certificate will expire in four days?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bagina posted:

Should I be concerned that the beta version is telling me that the certificate will expire in four days?

Not particularly. The current beta version is the same as the App Store version, so you can use that if you get stuck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it possible to have a feature that when you hold on a URL it shows what the link is, kinda like when you mouse over this URL for example it'll show you that it directs to google. I basically want to be forewarned before I click on goatse while standing in line at the super market.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Francodipshit posted:

Is it possible to have a feature that when you hold on a URL it shows what the link is, kinda like when you mouse over this URL for example it'll show you that it directs to google. I basically want to be forewarned before I click on goatse while standing in line at the super market.

Doesn't it do that already?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ha, I thought it didn't. I guess I skinny fingered links every time I tried that. Whoops.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there any way to view the Lepers Colony in the app? Ideally you'd be able to click the "USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST" text in the post and it would take you to the page showing you the reason for the probation/ban.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Leper's Colony is the last item in the Forums list.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Dave posted:

Leper's Colony is the last item in the Forums list.

But is there a convenient way to get to a specific ban/probation directly from the post that instigated it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's on the list! (Actually no idea, just wanted to say it.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

It's on the list! (Actually no idea, just wanted to say it.)

You nailed it!

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Just a bug report here.

I just got a new iPhone 5 and tried to reinstall it to my phone. When I go to login, it just crashed to the homescreen as soon as it gets to the login screen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The last build dropped iphone 5 support. You need a 5c or 5s to launch it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DirtyTalk posted:

I just got a new iPhone 5 and tried to reinstall it to my phone. When I go to login, it just crashed to the homescreen as soon as it gets to the login screen.

Had you restored from a backup on to the new phone? Does it work if you delete Awful and then reinstall it?

Can't wait to try and reproduce this one!

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Had you restored from a backup on to the new phone? Does it work if you delete Awful and then reinstall it?

Can't wait to try and reproduce this one!

I restored from a backup of an old iPhone 5, but reinstalled the App. I'm going to try to reinstall it now.

UPDATE: Reinstalled the app and it works now :dance:

DirtyTalk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 6, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just wanted to give you a heads-up that you probably need to improve error handling for banned users. I got banned a couple of days ago and Awful would fail to load anything (bookmarks or forum lists), and crash if I tried to do anything with the options screen.

I reinstalled the app twice before trying from a computer and figuring out what the problem was!

edit; this was before I'd installed the most recent update, so apologies if it's since been fixed!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

webmeister posted:

Just wanted to give you a heads-up that you probably need to improve error handling for banned users. I got banned a couple of days ago and Awful would fail to load anything (bookmarks or forum lists), and crash if I tried to do anything with the options screen.

I reinstalled the app twice before trying from a computer and figuring out what the problem was!

edit; this was before I'd installed the most recent update, so apologies if it's since been fixed!

I'm sure it hasn't been fixed, though Awful probably shouldn't be crashing. I'll think about how to test this out. Thanks for the heads up!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Several days ago I tried to watch a YouTube link embedded in a thread and Awful crashed several times. If it helps, I think I turned the phone into landscape mode before the actual video began to play. This happened like 2 or 3 times.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I'm sure it hasn't been fixed, though Awful probably shouldn't be crashing. I'll think about how to test this out. Thanks for the heads up!

This is gonna be some pseudocode poo poo here but

Is Awful not capable of detecting the redirect that SA tosses out when a banned users uses the forums? I'm unsure of how it actually scrapes and displays threads, but the banned screen isn't like the probation screen where it's only a purple banner until you post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Several days ago I tried to watch a YouTube link embedded in a thread and Awful crashed several times. If it helps, I think I turned the phone into landscape mode before the actual video began to play. This happened like 2 or 3 times.

Were there a lot of videos or images in the thread? Sounds like low memory.

death .cab for qt posted:

This is gonna be some pseudocode poo poo here but

Is Awful not capable of detecting the redirect that SA tosses out when a banned users uses the forums? I'm unsure of how it actually scrapes and displays threads, but the banned screen isn't like the probation screen where it's only a purple banner until you post.

It's certainly capable, I just didn't know that's what happens when you're banned.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You could always make a test account and auto-ban it so you can check your work.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

It's certainly capable, I just didn't know that's what happens when you're banned.

Same with when you try to post while probated. You could redirect the redirect to your own mobile friendly page that basically says the same thing?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

Same with when you try to post while probated. You could redirect the redirect to your own mobile friendly page that basically says the same thing?

If there's an error message we could parse that, or we can catch the redirect. Awful does this already when locating posts: you give it a post ID, it'll wait for the redirect to the thread, then it knows which thread and page the post is from.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Swipe to open the sidebar seems to not work since upgrading to iOS7.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

obeyasia posted:

Swipe to open the sidebar seems to not work since upgrading to iOS7.

It works if you turn off "Multitasking Gestures" in Settings > General. I'm not sure how a single-touch swipe interferes with a four-finger gesture but there you have it.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Would be real cool if you could copy an image from awful so you could paste it into an iMessage or whatever. Otherwise, this app suits all my needs, bravo and goonspeed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pokeyman posted:

This kind of thing should probably go in the IYG Awful thread.

Sorry; I had thought development was done on version 1.

pokeyman posted:

Awful defaults to page 1 there because it has no idea which page has "new unread posts" without asking SA. I'm not sure what a useful guess would be on failure.

I'm not sure I quite understand. If the app failed to load a page when it was doing the "jump to new unread posts" bit, and I pull up, why would you not to the "jump to new unread posts" bit again? That is, shouldn't pulling up to refresh after a network failure be the equivalent of "do what we just tried?"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Yeah there was, it was the first page of a megathread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ulmont posted:

I'm not sure I quite understand. If the app failed to load a page when it was doing the "jump to new unread posts" bit, and I pull up, why would you not to the "jump to new unread posts" bit again? That is, shouldn't pulling up to refresh after a network failure be the equivalent of "do what we just tried?"

That would make sense, yup!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Any chance for the ability to swipe left on the screen to go back a screen? Something like Reeder does, rather than having to hit the button to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kloa posted:

Any chance for the ability to swipe left on the screen to go back a screen? Something like Reeder does, rather than having to hit the button to go back.

iOS 7 makes something like this more or less a standard method of navigation, and so it's in the work-in-progress iOS 7 version of the app.

• Locked thread