Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
So I bought a 2003 CVPI. It seems pretty rad so far. I should take pictures or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have my first question. I have the ridiculous cop spotlight on it, but it is super fogged to the point there is water in the lamp. I am torn between fixing it and removing the thing because it is preposterous. How tough is either of those? I have done some of my own repairs in the past to like, exhaust systems and changing belts and wiper motors and poo poo but GOOFY COP SPOTLIGHT is new territory for me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure they unscrew, both options, pretty loving easily. I'll go check mine downstairs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aren't there caps you can buy to plug the hole if you remove them? Unless you live out in the boonies I really don't see a need for a spotlight.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Solid plugs come in pretty much any size imaginable.

But, might as well fix the light because if you take it off you won't look like a police officer anymore. Gotta live vicariously, y'know?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Caps wont work because all the ones I've seen have been a U shaped channel cut into the door. It looked pretty simple but it was too dark for photos so if you haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll take some nice pictures.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Caps wont work because all the ones I've seen have been a U shaped channel cut into the door. It looked pretty simple but it was too dark for photos so if you haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll take some nice pictures.

Yeah the big chomp cut into the driver's door weirded me out a little.

leica posted:

Aren't there caps you can buy to plug the hole if you remove them? Unless you live out in the boonies I really don't see a need for a spotlight.

I can use it to annoy other drivers and probably eventually get arrested I imagine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Winson_Paine posted:

I have my first question. I have the ridiculous cop spotlight on it, but it is super fogged to the point there is water in the lamp. I am torn between fixing it and removing the thing because it is preposterous. How tough is either of those? I have done some of my own repairs in the past to like, exhaust systems and changing belts and wiper motors and poo poo but GOOFY COP SPOTLIGHT is new territory for me.

If you want to remove it and get rid of it, feel free to let me know. I've been wanting to get one for my car but i've been too lazy to go shopping around.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Not sure if all of the spotlights are the same but the replacement for mine was only $30
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EC1N76C

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So periodically I am getting five long chimes from the warning system in the dash; google informs me this means my airbag light is out. Checking the owners manual says SEE YOUR DEALER if one of these is out. This is something I can fix, right? I don't have to replace that whole goddamned cluster, right?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It depends, does your documentation say it's just the bulb out? or an airbag system fault? It took me like 20 minutes and a 7mm socket/rarchet/extension to pull my cluster to swap bulbs.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

It depends, does your documentation say it's just the bulb out? or an airbag system fault? It took me like 20 minutes and a 7mm socket/rarchet/extension to pull my cluster to swap bulbs.

The documentation in this instance is googling and finding some crown vic forums that seem to indicate the problem is the airbag light is out, it is an audio warning to note the fault in the airbag system. The fact that the airbag light is not coming on seems to lend credence to this, and I am guessing the airbag system has a fuckup in it which is why the bulb burned out in the first place.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have an 07 and the big fan behind the radiator doesn't spin any more. It still spins when you move it. Is three any easy way to test it before I get one from a scrapyard? Also what is that part called, shroud fan motor?

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
My 2008 has a similar with the airbag system, the indicator bulb for the passenger side either has a bad or loose connection but does intermittently seem to work, which causes it to fail to illuminate when something triggers the weight sensor in the seat, which causes the airbag light to flash in a particular sequence. So the system will definitely check the status of the bulbs. If the airbag light doesn't light up in the dash cluster at all it could definitely cause an issue like that, since the chime is the only way to tell you its not working. Everything I've seen seems to indicate the cluster is fairly easy to remove to replace the bulbs as seen in videos below:

Cluster Removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khmR3o1BlU
Bulb Replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9hBgcO30vs

lampey posted:

I have an 07 and the big fan behind the radiator doesn't spin any more. It still spins when you move it. Is three any easy way to test it before I get one from a scrapyard? Also what is that part called, shroud fan motor?
Could be affected by this TSB: https://w2k31.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/pdfs/TSB070905CoolingFan.pdf

I would definitely check the connector that goes to the fan to simply see if it is damaged or got unplugged. Generally for replacement you get the entire Fan/Shroud/Control unit assembly for Fords, 05 Mustang was the same way when the blade on the fan failed, the shroud actually has some components mounted to it as well and it wasn't terribly expensive.

Marux fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 9, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

I am guessing the airbag system has a fuckup in it which is why the bulb burned out in the first place.

No, Ford just uses the world's cheapest shittiest bulbs in their instrument clusters. My '98 Ranger had maybe two out of eight still working when I bought it, and the tach-equipped cluster I bought to swap into it was equally bad.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, Ford just uses the world's cheapest shittiest bulbs in their instrument clusters. My '98 Ranger had maybe two out of eight still working when I bought it, and the tach-equipped cluster I bought to swap into it was equally bad.

Maybe. Carfax seems to indicate the last act of this as a county cop cruiser was to "hit an animal" which caused disabling damage to the front, front quarter, and top. "Airbags did not deploy" and they were serviced 30k ago, so you are probably right. I should paint THE DEERSLAYER on the side.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

lampey posted:

Jump the terminals on the fan's plug directly to the battery with test leads and see if it runs. If so, something else is wrong upstream. If not, it's hosed.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
My led lights came in today. I had to call on Friday to check the status of the order after not hearing anything for a few day. The guy was nice and arter being on hold for a bit he told me that they the were behind on filling orders, but they would ship them out that day. 30min later i get an email with a tracking number and it turns out that they overnighted them to me. props to them for taking care of the customer. Since everything was here and the STi was back together I wrapped up the installs on the P71 today

I put the push bar on over the weekend and bent the brackets with the help of my big jack to get perfect clearances to the bumper. And after some "fitting" I got the lights to fit the buckets, and I painted one of the supertones. This might get me in to some trouble, lol

Way more subtle with the grill back on, maybe I won't get in trouble.

I finished wiring that poo poo up just in time for it to get dark to aim them properly. They are on a relay to the parking lights so I can run them with or without the stock lights and they will stay on with the high beams too. and as a bonus the flash when locking/unlocking the car with the keyless and the alarm.

Stock lights only (looks way brighter in the pic)

LED's only

Both lows

Highs and LED's

From the front both lows

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Haha, I could see you catching some poo poo if a cop pulls you over and notices that red and blue, though since you don't have lights or otherwise you're probably legally in the clear (depending on how strictly the Florida statute is worded).

Looks good, but you will be getting stuck behind people doing exactly the speed limit now.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I noticed the owner's manual in mine suggested not putting lights in front of the grill because it would gently caress with cooling; is this actually a thing then or is that just bullshit?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Winson_Paine posted:

I noticed the owner's manual in mine suggested not putting lights in front of the grill because it would gently caress with cooling; is this actually a thing then or is that just bullshit?

Sure, it's going to diminish the cooling capacity any time you impede airflow through the grill. That being said, it's so common to see lights, speaker horns, and/or opticoms up there on police cars that if it really were an issue it would be well known.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

I discovered driving at night that the trip odometer/gearshift light is the only remaining working dash light, so I am just gonna replace all the bulbs. Question, since autozone is being super fuckin unhelpful here and saying these won't fit but they look like they will, these are the bulbs I want for the dash cluster, right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NO. gently caress autozone, order from rockauto. You're welcome.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

leica posted:

NO. gently caress autozone, order from rockauto. You're welcome.

Holy poo poo, these prices are so much better it is not even funny. Thanks. So this guy right here then?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Something wicked this way comes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Winson_Paine posted:

Holy poo poo, these prices are so much better it is not even funny. Thanks. So this guy right here then?

Yep. You can trust rockauto, I've been ordering from them for years and have never been sent a wrong part. As long as you put in the correct year/make/model you'll get the right parts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Today I learned that Ford made a special 4r70w trans oil pan for U-Haul trucks (F8UZ-7A194-AA) that fits the P71 and eliminates it as a low point when you're hopping curbs.

http://www.p71.ca/P71interceptor.com/p71interceptor.com/tranny/uhaul/oilpan/pictures/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

Yeah, my Ranger uses 194 bulbs and I'd bet Ford used them across the board.

If you're buying from Rockauto, hit up retailmenot for a 5% off code too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Yep. You can trust rockauto, I've been ordering from them for years and have never been sent a wrong part. As long as you put in the correct year/make/model you'll get the right parts.

I bought rear brake cylinders for my truck and left/right were switched. I don't know if that means that a PO put them on the wrong side before (and bent the hardlines to match) or rockauto had them backwards or Raybestos had them backwards.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

I bought rear brake cylinders for my truck and left/right were switched. I don't know if that means that a PO put them on the wrong side before (and bent the hardlines to match) or rockauto had them backwards or Raybestos had them backwards.

Wouldn't you just buy both anyway - then match them up? I can't say I've ever really checked the part numbers when I have a replacement part, I just check that they are the same.

I'm going to guess rockauto has them backwards though, they're the most likely to make that mistake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Well to be honest, for an online retailer they've done 100 times better than any of the local parts places around here that would routinely gently caress up orders and even give me wrong poo poo out of their stock all the time. It got to the point where I would make the counterperson let me see their computer to make sure I was getting the right parts.

With rockauto the idiot middlemen are out of the equation and the chances of getting the wrong part are highly reduced. Never mind the killer savings.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have had only one miss with rockauto.... but I wasnt sure if it was them or me.

Either way, the customer service folks were incredibly nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have had only one miss with rockauto.... but I wasnt sure if it was them or me.

They even refund cores in a reasonable timeframe, which I never expected (I've bought a few things with cores worth enough to send back, mostly AC compressors).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Wouldn't you just buy both anyway - then match them up? I can't say I've ever really checked the part numbers when I have a replacement part, I just check that they are the same.

I'm going to guess rockauto has them backwards though, they're the most likely to make that mistake.

I did, but to make my job "easier" I looked at the website to find out which was which, and sharpied a big "L" and "R" on the boxes so I'd have them sitting on the ground on the correct side of the truck.

That said, they do seem to get just about everything right, it's just pretty annoying when they just don't have a section for the thing I'm looking for, so I have to get it someplace else.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

As far as Panthers go, they have pretty much every part imaginable, and if they don't you probably have to get it from a dealer anyway in which case Tousley Ford has the best dealer prices. When I had to replace my steering shafts Tousley was way cheaper than the local dealer and the service was great.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Was steering assist an option on any of the panther cars? Maybe the town car?

My continentals steering went really hard in a parking lot... Display told me to check steering assist, pump and pulley system is fine I just put a new tensioner, belt and water pump on the car, and it had a new steering rack put in about 2000 mi ago.

The power steering doesn't cut totally out just gets really weak..

My limited research shows that the system has 3 settings... Soft normal hard I think ( or plush Normal firm :v ) and it has at least 3 sensor inputs driving the valving somewhere in the system. I think it's speed, steering column angle and steering position.

May have been a dirty sensor, I can't replicate the problem now and is driving me nuts.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 13, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Their miss for me was very much them - ordered most of a cooling system, water pump gasket didn't make it into the order. It was even on the pick list in the box, so someone was just in a hurry and/or didn't double check.

Called them, gave them the order number, said "X part is missing". They asked if I wanted it shipped or refunded (I opted for the 58c refund, since I needed the car running ASAP and AutoZone had it in stock for all of $3). Wasn't a big deal, though the customer service rep I talked to sounded annoyed.

Motronic posted:

They even refund cores in a reasonable timeframe, which I never expected (I've bought a few things with cores worth enough to send back, mostly AC compressors).

I've never bought anything that needed a core from them, how does that work? Do they send return shipping labels?

The only thing I've bought from them that would normally have a core charge was a set of brake calipers, but apparently they were closeout (I guess the supplier was shutting down, from what I dug up), and as such, no core charge, though they came with packaging to return them.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Nothing is funnier than driving a Police car slightly under the speed limit. The RS-As that came on my car are totally shot; there's a chunk of tread that's starting to come off of the left rear. Getting some Potenzas put on after work so I drove *extremely* carefully on my commute this morning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

some texas redneck posted:

I've never bought anything that needed a core from them, how does that work? Do they send return shipping labels?

No, that would be too easy. But for something expensive enough it's worth the shipping. I don't know brake calipers would be on that list, but a $75 core on an AC compressor sure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
About 15 minutes ago I was coming back from my doctors appt taking the backstreets to grab my gloves from work and as I get to 8th i see my coworker blast past speeding so i just punched it onto 8th tore up onto his bumper and flipped my headlights on and he honestly thought he was getting pulled over :siren:

Of course everyone else in the shop is going to hear about it.