Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Started reading The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel and so far it's a really great piece of historical fiction. A really good first book from this author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry. Sometimes you just gotta read a little fast food...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I had burned through the first 4 Game of Thrones books like 2 or 3 months ago. Now I'm finally getting around to Dance with Dragons.

e: WITH, not of.

WaffleSteak
May 1, 2004
damn honky
Picked up Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton for a quick 'there aren't any other books available in this crappy store' airport read. I also learned that Michael Crichton died in 2008 and I had no idea... :doh:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just got these from the Strand in NYC.

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

Of Dice and Men by David M. Ewalt

Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar by Kelly Oxford

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Someone mentioned this in the space opera thread, so I thought I'd check it out. For some reason, I have a problem with non-humanoid aliens ( :argh: Star Trek!), but it didn't take long to get into this one.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Just started Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. My first encounter with Mr. Banks and so far I'm enjoying it.

Next up, perhaps the first Wheel of Time book...

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW
got a flyer on the street for this and I decided to give it a shot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kwasimodick posted:

got a flyer on the street for this and I decided to give it a shot

You recommended this book a week or two ago, but you haven't read it? I don't suppose you're the author, are you?

The Jebus
Sep 3, 2013
I just picked up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman after having it recommended to me by several people.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I just got a Kindle, so I picked up a few books I've been wanting to read. Tokyo Vice by Jake Edelstein and Gulp by Mary Roach.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Starting Game of Thrones after much hesitation. At some point in the past I read up to the point where one of the brothers falls off a ledge after spying on someone, but I then moved on to something else for whatever reason. I was always reluctant to really dedicate myself because of the low-fantasy setting, but after checking out a variety of sources I think the time is right to read through the series.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Started Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock a couple of evenings ago--so icky and grimy in a good way... Imagine an entire town full of the sickest Cormac McCarthy characters, and you're in Knockemstiff, Ohio.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Just started Pines by Blake Crouch last night. I'm about halfway through and so far it's fairly meh. Feels like I'm reading a Twilight Zone script. Crouch is also a pretty bad writer.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finshed Pines (crap, don't read) and started It.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

About 20% of the way through The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart, I found it in my tablet and started on it knowing nothing. What on earth am I reading. :suspense:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Finshed Pines (crap, don't read) and started It.

read it before?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

oldpainless posted:

read it before?

It? No. Only King I've ever read is The Stand and The Shining, and those were easily over 15 years ago. Seems to be pretty good so far. I'm definitely interested in what's going on enough to continue.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I envy anyone reading IT for the first time.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I envy anyone reading IT for the first time.

I don't, but that's because I was in second or third grade when I had that experience (my high school-aged brother was big into King at the time). Needless to say, it messed with my head pretty severely.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The Jebus posted:

I just picked up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman after having it recommended to me by several people.

I love Good Omens.

I started reading Infinite Jest a couple weeks ago, and it is....interesting. I've never read anything by DFW before, but I kept hearing about how amazing this book is, and I decided to buy the Kindle version. The footnotes are pretty simple to follow on the Kindle. Hopefully the different characters start to interact soon, because right now each chapter seems pretty self-contained.

I'm only about 5% in right now.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I'm 160 pages into 1Q84 and I have so many theories but I just don't know :derp: !

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It was pretty good until it got to the end, where it fell apart like all King novels.

I really enjoyed Crimson by Gord Rollo more. Same general kinda premise (evil thing messing with kids), but the ending was a hell of a lot better.

dorijan
Apr 24, 2011
sleepy
I just bought Magician by Raymond Feist and The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Just need to charge my Kindle to get started!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

dorijan posted:

I just bought Magician by Raymond Feist and The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Just need to charge my Kindle to get started!

I haven't read Magician in probably 25 years. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

dorijan
Apr 24, 2011
sleepy

Oldstench posted:

I haven't read Magician in probably 25 years. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Still waiting for that Kindle to finish charging, I'll post once I've finished the book.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Just started Tampa, holy loving poo poo I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it successfully ruins the typical male sexual fantasy about 'hot for teacher' types...on the other hand it's just loving uncomfortable to read.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Local university bookfair on the weekend. I picked up a two volume 1900 edition of The Iliad. It's entirely in Ancient Greek, which I can't read, but in my defence I didn't know it was in Ancient Greek when I bought it as the two volumes were bound with string. I suppose I should have remembered that most editions of ancient texts back then were in the original language. Anyway, I do like old books. I also bought William Ramsay's A Manual of Roman Antiquities, partly revised by Rodolfo Lanciani, in an 1894 edition, as well as a version of Aristophanes' Pax (preface in Latin, play in Greek) which belonged to Professor Frederick Augustus Todd, who lectured in Latin at my university about a hundred years ago.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
Waiting for my copy of Thomas Pynchon's new Bleeding Edge to arrive! The reviews have been really solid so far. I haven't been this excited for a book since Chabon's Telegraph Avenue a little over a year ago!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MillionsV posted:

Waiting for my copy of Thomas Pynchon's new Bleeding Edge to arrive! The reviews have been really solid so far. I haven't been this excited for a book since Chabon's Telegraph Avenue a little over a year ago!

I wish I could enjoy Pynchon, but I think I'm too stupid to do so. The Crying of Lot 49 was pretty good from what I remember, but V. defeated me. Only one of a handful of books I couldn't finish.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Just started reading Game of Thrones after purchasing the boxed set of the first four books months ago.

I also just bought Wolf Hall and Freedom. Probably won't get to dive into them until after I marathon the rest of A Song of Ice and Fire, though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Just started Iain M. Banks' Consider Phlebas. Enjoying it so far after having come off Player of Games.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Just bought some Vietnam War memoirs: The Things They Carried, Dispatches, and Baptism.

In for a depressing, hosed up ride I imagine.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

Just bought some Vietnam War memoirs: The Things They Carried, Dispatches, and Baptism.

In for a depressing, hosed up ride I imagine.

Yup. Throw Matterhorn in the mix, too!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Yup. Throw Matterhorn in the mix, too!

And Steven Wright's* Meditations in Green. Criminally underrated.

*no, not the comedian

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

a kitten posted:

This week has been The Week of Big Spooky Houses for me. I plowed through Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House then played a video game called Gone Home and just started reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which is, of course, also by Jackson.

I really, really like We Have Always Lived in the Castle so far; (I'm about halfway through already) Merricat is a fantastic narrator and is adding so much to the tone of the thing and it was only the fact that I was exhausted after a week of 10+ hour days that I didn't just plow through the whole thing in one sitting.

I love it so much that I might buy a physical copy of the drat thing once I'm done reading it on kindle, especially if I can find a version with this picture on it:

Since that's the first edition cover I figure "good loving luck" on that front, but maybe, just maybe a reprint used it too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WE-HAVE-ALW...=item461273bc80 It'll set you back a bit but they're out there.

Anyway, I've been reading Roddy Doyle's The Commitments these past few days. It's a very quick read and if I really set to it I could sit down and finish it in one go. I enjoy that there are entire pages of James Brown lyrics as part of the story but overall it's just alright. Some good exchanges but a lot of people just saying "gently caress ye, ye fuckin' oval office."

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I started last night The Translators by Gord Rollo based on the recommendation from another Goon (Stupid_Sexy_Flander, I believe) from another thread.

I'm about 1/4 through, and it really is a pretty interesting ride so far. Truly page-turning stuff. But drat, it's so poorly edited.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Started The Fault In Our Stars by John Green yesterday and will be finishing it up today before work here soon, really heartwarming and heartbreaking story. I also picked up An Abundance Of Katherines by him because even though it didn't interest me most of his other works from the synopsis, holy hell that's an amazing title. It was also cheap. :10bux:

But my next read before that will be In Cold Blood

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just started reading God Emperor of Dune. I think my main thing I'm wondering about it is...how on earth did the 'Fish Speakers' get that name? Since I mean, at this point they just seem like an all-female legion of Fremen tasked with guarding Leto, like the Feydakiin (sp?) guarded Paul/Muad'Dib. So yeah, have I missed something in regards to how they managed to get that name?

Anyway, although I'm not all that far in yet, I'm enjoying getting back into this series after a period reading other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Giving A Confederacy of Dunces another try--first time I tried to read it, I wasn't in the right frame of mind for something so "wacky," but this time, it's gone much better.

• Locked thread