Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Got my Anova today. Feels really solid. I did have to calibrate the temperature to the thermapen though. I read on eG that this production run was off a bit.

Looks like a nice upgrade over the demi. Did a few eggs at 64C and they came out good. I think they cooked more evenly from the circulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The magnum puts out far more pepper than any grinder I've tried. If you need a lot, that's you're go to. I'd you want something that looks and feels nice, get a Puegot.

I totally glossed over the large quantities part of the question. My bad!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
unicorn magnum 6" is one of the best kitchen products I may ever have used, just in terms of "holy poo poo every other pepper grinder loving sucks" type realizations.

to someone who was asking about pizza stones a while back, just get the largest loving rectangular ceramic stone you can find, it should run you $30-40. set it in your oven and forget about it. I keep mine on the floor of my oven and just bring it up to the top and give it a rinse and a brush with a metal wire brush before I use it. I'm pretty confident it helps heat distribution in my oven when not in direct use, and it works great for all sizes of bread and pizza when I need it for whatever. LARGER IS BETTER :siren: do not get anything round or small or anything like that, you will kick yourself a million times the first time you try to slide a pizza or bread or whatever on to or off of your stone and realize it goes flying all over the place where you didn't originally intend it to go.

note : do not remove pizza stone from your oven, except when STONE cold (ahahahah see what I did there). do not clean while hot. I shattered my first stone by trying to rinse it while lukewarm. I'm dumb, I have made plenty of pottery in my time, I know it's incredibly sensitive to heat differentials, and I still hosed it up.

edit : this fibrament thing doesn't look bad, and is only marginally more expensive than what I have - looks exactly the same only a bit thicker.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 9, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to respond to the Sansaire questionnaire and decide if I want a blue or green display. Someone give me a reason for one over the other, so I can at least pin my regret for choosing the wrong color on someone else.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I have to respond to the Sansaire questionnaire and decide if I want a blue or green display. Someone give me a reason for one over the other, so I can at least pin my regret for choosing the wrong color on someone else.

I chose green because it's SUPER EXCLUSIVE KICKSTARTER EDITION (that they'll probably offer at a later date).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my problem is I prefer the blue, but am tempted to get the green because it's exclusive. So I should get the blue probably.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
The blue will probably be easier on the eyes late at night but otherwise does it really "matter"?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

The blue will probably be easier on the eyes late at night but otherwise does it really "matter"?

Not at all. I chose blue. I will begin regretting it as soon as it arrives.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Get the blue.

You have chosen wisely.

Also, gently caress you all very much for suggesting the Unicorn pepper mill. I have a standard wooden mill that is kind of a pain in the rear end to ensure consistent grind size, and I use a lot of pepper, but it's one of those "if it ain't broke" kitchen utensils. Now I just dropped $37 on a Unicorn. I think I need to stop reading this thread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Get the blue.

You have chosen wisely.

Also, gently caress you all very much for suggesting the Unicorn pepper mill. I have a standard wooden mill that is kind of a pain in the rear end to ensure consistent grind size, and I use a lot of pepper, but it's one of those "if it ain't broke" kitchen utensils. Now I just dropped $37 on a Unicorn. I think I need to stop reading this thread.

The only caveat I'd give on the unicorn is the refilling opening is a band that you turn, which can also get turned during the normal course of use, spilling peppercorns everywhere. I have no issues with not opening it accidentally, but I can't say the same for the rest of my family. Also the grind size is adjusted from the bottom which could be unsanitary. But you will forget about these things the first time you need to pepper crust something and are able to turn out enormous amounts of pepper with just a few twists.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

The only caveat I'd give on the unicorn is the refilling opening is a band that you turn, which can also get turned during the normal course of use, spilling peppercorns everywhere.

This always bugs me, too. How old is your pepper mill? Mine is several years old and has the cover that opens every time you grind pepper. I bought one as a gift a couple years ago and noticed the cover rotation direction had been reversed, which pretty much eliminates the issue. Not sure when they made the change.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Bob_McBob posted:

This always bugs me, too. How old is your pepper mill? Mine is several years old and has the cover that opens every time you grind pepper. I bought one as a gift a couple years ago and noticed the cover rotation direction had been reversed, which pretty much eliminates the issue. Not sure when they made the change.

Oh thank god you confirmed this, I kept thinking people were absolute dumb if they were opening their unicorn while milling because they open the opposite direction of the grinder twist.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah I was gonna say, who the heck is grinding counter-clockwise??

but I bought mine about 2 years ago so...

who the heck designed the original cover flap thing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will have to check which way my filling gate opens. But a lot of people seem to think you can grind by turning it either way. Those people are wrong, but knowing that they're wrong doesn't clean up the peppercorns skittering around the kitchen floor.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

various cheeses posted:

For anyone interested: You can get a thermapen for $85 as opposed to the usual $96 at http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

The catch? It has to be a poo-brown colored one. The rest are all regular price.

I don't mind brown at all. Is this about as good a deal as you can get? Do I really gain any sort of accuracy over the $20 option that takes slightly longer to get a reading?

Porterhaus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 9, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Tenderloin posted:

I don't mind brown at all. Is this about as good a deal as you can get? Do I really gain any sort of accuracy over the $20 option that takes slightly linger to get a reading?

I think it was CdC that recommended a super fast Taylor as an alternative to the Thermapen. The only thing the Thermapen might give you over it is a bigger temperature range on a single package, but that might not be necessary. Also TP has a slightly tighter accuracy.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 9, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I own a thermapen and nearly $100 is starting to get silly for a thermometer IMHO. Mine is a refurb I bought for $60 a few years ago and even then it felt a little overpriced. Getting a fast reading is nice, but I'd personally go for something cheap if I had to buy again.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Another thing about the TP is that the pokey end is tiny, so it doesn't make as big of a hole in what you poke. Now I ain't saying that's worth 100 bucks, just putting it out there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My Thermapen was worth every goddamn penny. No regrets.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Midniter posted:

My Thermapen was worth every goddamn penny. No regrets.
Same. My favorite kitchen appliance, no contest - it changes the way you cook. It's the only thing that I always bring with me when I'm cooking at someone else's house.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If its for work, get a Taylor instant read. If its for home, wait for a refurb thermapen at $60.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I've got the cheaper thermoworks model (RT600c) and I love it. The readout time is perfectly fine and it has the same thin tip and comparable accuracy to the Thermapen. Plus it's only $19

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

Dacap posted:

I've got the cheaper thermoworks model (RT600c) and I love it. The readout time is perfectly fine and it has the same thin tip and comparable accuracy to the Thermapen. Plus it's only $19

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I also have this one. It's nice.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my beloved splash resistant thermapen is so loving broke. I don't know what it is about equipment I use, but I use things hard. the poor thing is covered with heat welts from splatters of blazing hot oil, LCD doesn't fully read out properly because of ??? moisture I suspect? and there's a huge crack around the hinge that eventually worked its way all the way through the plastic, so if I push on the round hinge part even slightly, it easily kind of just opens up and splits in two. I have to remember to physically hold the thing together by pressing on the right side, or else gravity makes it sag apart and the LCD starts doing all sorts of crazy poo poo and flashing on and off. I should probably tape it together or something, but I'm slightly enamored with the whole situation at this point. despite all this, it still works like a champ, and I use it at least 4 or 5 times a week. bought about two years ago. <3

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I should probably tape it together or something
J-B Weld.

billybill
Oct 22, 2010
Are the thermapens quite large compared to most pocket digital? I was at the Chicago NRA show and finally got a hands on but they seemed enormous like maybe the size of a cell phone. After I left I thought maybe they had those as display models to show the product but avoid theft. Or could just be how they are.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

billybill posted:

Are the thermapens quite large compared to most pocket digital? I was at the Chicago NRA show and finally got a hands on but they seemed enormous like maybe the size of a cell phone. After I left I thought maybe they had those as display models to show the product but avoid theft. Or could just be how they are.

The dimensions from the website are: 1.85 H x 6.1 W x 0.75 D inches (47 H x 153 W x 19 D mm) (Check out the website for their amusing rationale for the sale on brown Thermapens.)

They aren't small. I just use my in my kitchen or by my BBQ or whatever, so size has never really been an issue (and it's nice to have a big display on it). It'll still fit in your pocket, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob_McBob posted:

Huh. I just got mine today from Amazon and the cover slides clockwise to expose the filling hole, same direction as you rotate the top to grind. I think I'm going to return it

(because I am a size queen and it is smaller than I expected and I am going to get the 9" model)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Huh. I just got mine today from Amazon and the cover slides clockwise to expose the filling hole, same direction as you rotate the top to grind. I think I'm going to return it

(because I am a size queen and it is smaller than I expected and I am going to get the 9" model)
The 9" really does look nicer. More balanced-looking, plus you can really handle handle the shaft with your whole palm. My 9" rotates in the direction you want it to rotate, opposite from the grind direction - I got it four months ago or so off of Amazon.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

The 9" really does look nicer. More balanced-looking, plus you can really handle handle the shaft with your whole palm. My 9" rotates in the direction you want it to rotate, opposite from the grind direction - I got it four months ago or so off of Amazon.

Same here, regarding the 9" and 4 monthish mark, not so sure I want to describe the palm action on my shaft. :gay:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deimos posted:

Same here, regarding the 9" and 4 monthish mark, not so sure I want to describe the palm action on my shaft. :gay:

Haha. Well that was actually my concern - even if the slide to expose the fill opening went in the same direction as the grinding mechanism, if I could grasp the mill below the slide with my left hand while I turn the top with my right, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately I have large hands so need the extra real estate on the bigger model.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

The 9" model is sooooooo much better. It gives you enough shaft to grip on tightly with your palms, so that you don't expose its hole. And the heft of it in your hand is rather nice too.

I think I need to go take a cold shower now.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have to vouch for the Peugot Madras. It has a magnetic disc on the top that opens into a big, open chamber. It's a shaftless pepper mill.

It is by far the best one I have ever had - you adjust the mechanism with a simple rotation, and you've instantly changed the grind size. It turns smooth and clean no matter how big or small the grind, and two years on mine still functions flawlessly.

As an aethetic junkie, it also is by far the sexiest mill that there is - since it's shaftless it doesn't need the typical top-knob and it's got a much more modern/contemporary set of curves to it. It's probably my favorite kitchen tool! But that's only because I don't have a Thermapen :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have to vouch for the Peugot Madras. It has a magnetic disc on the top that opens into a big, open chamber. It's a shaftless pepper mill.

It is by far the best one I have ever had - you adjust the mechanism with a simple rotation, and you've instantly changed the grind size. It turns smooth and clean no matter how big or small the grind, and two years on mine still functions flawlessly.

As an aethetic junkie, it also is by far the sexiest mill that there is - since it's shaftless it doesn't need the typical top-knob and it's got a much more modern/contemporary set of curves to it. It's probably my favorite kitchen tool! But that's only because I don't have a Thermapen :(

I own one of those too! Its grinding action is extremely smooth. You can also get super finely ground pepper, or hella chunky. The issue with the unicorn magnum is that it's never going to give you pepper dust like the Peugot will.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

I own one of those too! Its grinding action is extremely smooth. You can also get super finely ground pepper, or hella chunky. The issue with the unicorn magnum is that it's never going to give you pepper dust like the Peugot will.

I'm actually okay with that as I much prefer a coarse grind. I like chewing actual bits of peppercorn and the bite it adds to my dishes. In what situations would you want super fine pepper? Maybe to add to a seasoning blend before flouring something to fry, perhaps?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

I'm actually okay with that as I much prefer a coarse grind. I like chewing actual bits of peppercorn and the bite it adds to my dishes. In what situations would you want super fine pepper? Maybe to add to a seasoning blend before flouring something to fry, perhaps?

Generally, it's for table use, when the pepper isn't going to be cooked. If it's cooked, I find that the larger chunks are no problem at all, but when it's fresh ground, people who aren't used to the bite of the stuff seem to like it very finely ground. And that said, there are very easy to recognise numbers along the bottom, should someone want a rougher grind at table.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

That Peugeot Madras is getting hammered in reviews on Amazon. Way too many 1-stars complaining about the thing breaking.

And it looks so drat nice too. :smith:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

various cheeses posted:

That Peugeot Madras is getting hammered in reviews on Amazon. Way too many 1-stars complaining about the thing breaking.

Meanwhile, look at the happy pleasantville around the unicorn Magnum. I can improve my mood just by reading those reviews.

jason
Jul 25, 2002

It's funny that the current topics in this thread are the Thermapen and the Unicorn Magnum, as those are the two new toys I would like most right now. I have a $100 gift card to Williams Sonoma that I figured I could use to get one of those things but of course they don't carry either of those two products. They do carry what appears to be a Thermapen knockoff for $10 more than the original but it has terrible reviews and the Peugeot line of pepper mills which I may consider. I'll probably just end up getting an overpriced set of pasta bowls or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

various cheeses posted:

I give it 6 stars! You trust goons, don't you? I use it every single day, and have for 2 years. Still no breaky.

A lot of people seem to not know how to use it. Guess what - if you go from the coarsest grind to the finest without turning the mechanism, something is bound to go wrong. I talked to Peugeot about it before buying it, and they said "It is possible for the U'Select to feel "stuck" due to the peppercorn being caught in the grinder from time to time. Refer to our attached Quick Tip sheet for trouble shooting this issue. Perhaps this is what the reviews are referring to when indicating the mechanism is "seized". Upon receiving calls about this issue, we have a high percentage of correcting this issue over the phone. If necessary, our return procedure is implemented."

I encountered the same thing when I was looking at Nutribullets. People whined up and down about them leaking all over the place. I did a test because i never saw the thing leak - I filled it past the "Max" line. Guess what... leakage! So, yeah, I mean based on my experience I'd say take the negative reviews with a grain of salt... but maybe I just got lucky?

jason posted:

I'll probably just end up getting an overpriced set of pasta bowls or something.

Do you have an endgrain cutting board, and does Williams-Sonoma carry them? Because that'd be the top of my list... I have a little woodworking shop and made myself one (14x20, 1.5" thick) and it was the best addition to the kitchen I've made since getting the Madras. It's just so much better, in every way, for prepping food on. There's something so satisfying about the way it absorbs vibration+knifework

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 13, 2013

• Locked thread