Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VengefulKiwi
Sep 13, 2006

Irony is my brain's favourite food.

Polaron posted:

Oh god, especially if it's that children laughing/playing clip.

You all know exactly which clip I'm talking about.

In the past year that I've lived in close proximity to an elementary school, I've come to realize that enough children playing just sounds exactly like a stock sound clip. The general rabble, the squeaky swing sound, and that one not-quite-words "aaaahoooo, hyeah, eeeeee" shouty noise. JUST LIKE THAT, every recess That I am privy to hear. It is weird as poo poo.
It may be a universal constant. Or I live near the most stereotypical elementary school ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Roblo posted:

I dont even know how to describe the stock sound I hate, and I can only think of two instances of it at the moment,bit I hear it all the time. Its a kind of "woosh" sound.

First thing I can remember it from was the acceleration spell in Magic Carpet, the old PC game. Also remember it in the Truman Show, when he is trying to escape and the fire jets across the road.

Really brings me out of whatever I am watching.

I know exactly the one you mean, it's a sort of "swtooosh" noise. This has reminded me a) how great Magic Carpet was and b) how much hearing that noise and worse, the Wilhelm Scream piss me off. You're spending $X million on a film, get some loving sound guys that aren't internet nerds for god's sake.

Edit: The meteor sound effect from Magic Carpet turns up all over the place as well.

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Sep 13, 2013

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Roblo posted:

I dont even know how to describe the stock sound I hate, and I can only think of two instances of it at the moment,bit I hear it all the time. Its a kind of "woosh" sound.

First thing I can remember it from was the acceleration spell in Magic Carpet, the old PC game. Also remember it in the Truman Show, when he is trying to escape and the fire jets across the road.

Really brings me out of whatever I am watching.

It's the sound effect at 0:50 here, right after he says "we'll be fine", right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My most hated stock sound of all is not used often in movies, but in TV, especially American reality shows. Whenever something "shocking" or "scandalous" happens they use this stupid annoying sound that I can't really describe with letters that sounds like a metal type grinding sound I guess? Not being able to describe it to people is part of the annoyance but you hear it all the god drat time, I guarantee it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

CJacobs posted:

My most hated stock sound of all is not used often in movies, but in TV, especially American reality shows. Whenever something "shocking" or "scandalous" happens they use this stupid annoying sound that I can't really describe with letters that sounds like a metal type grinding sound I guess? Not being able to describe it to people is part of the annoyance but you hear it all the god drat time, I guarantee it.

A record scratch maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQ2P0xgenw

If that's what it is and you couldn't identify it as such then [img:nelson-ha-ha.gif]
If not then I dunno, that's the only thing I can think of that fits the description.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's definitely not it. I'm sure as soon as I find out what it actually is I'll feel like an idiot, but I'm definitely not that stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPMUcEOr6Q&t=79s

1:22. That drat sound.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Sep 13, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Going back to the vomit-chat, what always bugs me is that movie vomit doesn't look the slightest thing like real vomit. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen that weird white vomit that always shows up in movies and tv shows. Mine, at least, tends to be a sort of brownish pinkish color, but in movies it's always white.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tacodaemon posted:

Ah, the sound of the Doom 2 final boss shooting a demon cube out of its brain.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Going back to the vomit-chat, what always bugs me is that movie vomit doesn't look the slightest thing like real vomit. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen that weird white vomit that always shows up in movies and tv shows. Mine, at least, tends to be a sort of brownish pinkish color, but in movies it's always white.

Pinkish? Stomach bile is yellow, any other colours are usually from things you've eaten.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Mine, at least, tends to be a sort of brownish pinkish color, but in movies it's always white.

Do uhh, do you happen to get heartburn and stomach pains a lot there buddy?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Do uhh, do you happen to get heartburn and stomach pains a lot there buddy?

Nope.

Edit: To clarify, this is the kind of color I meant (linked because vomit) http://i.imgur.com/acZGwhR.jpg.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Sep 13, 2013

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.

Nope.

Edit: To clarify, this is the kind of color I meant (linked because vomit) http://i.imgur.com/acZGwhR.jpg.

Vomiting on purpose and taking a picture of it for the thread? Now that's some dedicated clarification.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CJacobs posted:

That's definitely not it. I'm sure as soon as I find out what it actually is I'll feel like an idiot, but I'm definitely not that stupid.

I'd say it sounds like an air-brake, like the sort buses and semi-trucks use.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's a bowed gong. Take a gong or a tam tam, play the edge with a cello bow or something.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Mine is the cumulative crowd gasp. The one that ends on a high note. You know the one. And now it's in your head.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tacodaemon posted:

Yes! That's the one, does my head in. It's been around for years, and it blows my mind that a sound effect in a PC game from 1994 is actually used in major films. Love to find out what it's actually called.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I guess I don't understand most stock sound effects. It's like, hey, we need some screaming here. We can use the same goddamn loving scream as every other film ever has used with all the bad stuff associated with it as per this thread, or we can get the actor/an intern/the sound guy to scream in a soundbooth while we huck a mic past them.

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005
What annoys me in movies, is when there's a chase during the gun fight scene and the person doing the chasing seems to maintain the distance between the 2, despite going slower and stopping at every room entrance. The opposite of this happened in Trading Places, when Eddie Murphy sprints across lobby after a drunk and stumbling Dan Akroyd, but when Murhpy reaches the entrance, somehow Akroyd is across the street and on a bus.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Splicer posted:

I guess I don't understand most stock sound effects. It's like, hey, we need some screaming here. We can use the same goddamn loving scream as every other film ever has used with all the bad stuff associated with it as per this thread, or we can get the actor/an intern/the sound guy to scream in a soundbooth while we huck a mic past them.
It's harder than you think to get something that sounds halfway decent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strudel Man posted:

I can see that for certain things, but things like glass breaking? Doors closing? Falling people screaming? You could get hundreds of samples of each just by recording the previous season's wrap party.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, and there's a limit to what you can do with a nine digit budget.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Here's how the stock sounds vs custom sounds conversation goes down.

Sound guy : yeah we need a scream for that scene, so I need to allocate the booth and all this equipment.
Director : Bullshit we have stock Screams, use one of them.
Sound guy : but if we record a custom scream it will sound better.
Director : and if we use stock sounds I get to sleep on a pile of cash money.
Sound guy : but if we use the stock sounds again people on the internet will make fun of us.
Director : hahahahahahaha *dries tears of laughter with 100 dollar bill*
Sound guy : *sigh*

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
I cannot abide the giggling baby stock sound. It makes me want to punch a baby each time I hear it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lap-Lem posted:

Here's how the stock sounds vs custom sounds conversation goes down.

Sound guy : yeah we need a scream for that scene, so I need to allocate the booth and all this equipment.
Director : Bullshit we have stock Screams, use one of them.
Sound guy : but if we record a custom scream it will sound better.
Director : and if we use stock sounds I get to sleep on a pile of cash money.
Sound guy : but if we use the stock sounds again people on the internet will make fun of us.
Director : hahahahahahaha *dries tears of laughter with 100 dollar bill*
Sound guy : *sigh*

Actually it sounds like it goes:

Director: We need a scream
Sound guy: Cool I'm going to use the Wilhelm because it's a bit of a sound guy tradition.
Director: Do what you gotta do Dave.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Replace "director" with "producer" or "studio" and yeah, that's about right.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I imagine it also helps in the editing process to have a variety of screams, explosions, gunshots, etc. if one that you recorded doesn't work in a cut.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just rewatched The Matrix after years since watching it and it is still a drat good movie and the effects mostly hold up well, but now that I'm not 15 anymore some stuff about the plot and setting kind of bugs me, like how if everyone knows that nothing in the Matrix is real, then why do they still give a poo poo about getting shot, or how you make yourself bleed when hit in the Matrix, and little stuff like that. If you accept that you're not constrained by anything then it seems to follow then none of that would happen. I know that the "humans are batteries" thing is because they thought audiences were too dumb to accept "humans are CPUs", and it makes for a iconic moment, but watching it again I couldn't help but think the whole time that nobody, especially Morpheus who totally buys into the "nothing here is real or actually happening" mindset, should really be playing by the rules of reality that much. It's not like they don't accept that what happens in the Matrix is real (though it arguably is). Also who let Cypher into the Matrix to chat with Smith?

The biggest thing rewatching made me realize though was just how lovely the other two movies were. Neo can now do anything and all he can think to do is fly and punch even harder than before. :thumbsup:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Just finished Olympus Has Fallen (no, I don't know why) and it's really stupid that so much would be risked just to protect the US President. In the context of the film, just letting him die is the better option for almost every single conceivable reason. He wouldn't be that important of a bargaining chip at all, and the only reason he is one in the film is because he (big shock) has nuclear launch codes, which again makes more sense to just let him get killed. I know I shouldn't be irritated by anything from a movie like this, but still, c'mon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I just rewatched The Matrix after years since watching it and it is still a drat good movie and the effects mostly hold up well, but now that I'm not 15 anymore some stuff about the plot and setting kind of bugs me, like how if everyone knows that nothing in the Matrix is real, then why do they still give a poo poo about getting shot, or how you make yourself bleed when hit in the Matrix, and little stuff like that. If you accept that you're not constrained by anything then it seems to follow then none of that would happen. I know that the "humans are batteries" thing is because they thought audiences were too dumb to accept "humans are CPUs", and it makes for a iconic moment, but watching it again I couldn't help but think the whole time that nobody, especially Morpheus who totally buys into the "nothing here is real or actually happening" mindset, should really be playing by the rules of reality that much. It's not like they don't accept that what happens in the Matrix is real (though it arguably is). Also who let Cypher into the Matrix to chat with Smith?

The biggest thing rewatching made me realize though was just how lovely the other two movies were. Neo can now do anything and all he can think to do is fly and punch even harder than before. :thumbsup:

Something that bugs me about the movie is the mirror scene. The whole thing doesn't make any sense and is never explained. Also, call me crazy but I think a much better answer to "who is The One" would have been Morpheus instead of Neo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this? posted:

Something that bugs me about the movie is the mirror scene. The whole thing doesn't make any sense and is never explained. Also, call me crazy but I think a much better answer to "who is The One" would have been Morpheus instead of Neo.

I thought it was a side effect of something like the bug and red pill where something is loving directly with the Matrix, in that case, them tracing Neo's location. You can see the bug get all goopy before it turns into a little squid thing too.

Also come to think of it who even let the first guy out of the Matrix and how'd he get anywhere? I guess the other movies answer that question with "the robots did because of whatever Colonel Sanders said", but within the context of the first movie there's no answer. Was The Matrix even planned to be a trilogy?

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Sep 15, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it was a side effect of something like the bug and red pill where something is loving directly with the Matrix, in that case, them tracing Neo's location. You can see the bug get all goopy before it turns into a little squid thing too.

Also come to think of it who even let the first guy out of the Matrix and how'd he get anywhere? I guess the other movies answer that question with "the robots did because of whatever Colonel Sanders said", but within the context of the first movie there's no answer. Was The Matrix even planned to be a trilogy?

I believe the directors were sued for ripping off a woman's sci fi script and had to pay out since the resemblances were too great. If that's true then the first film was actually stolen and the other 2 were the ones they created.

Which would explain a lot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I believe the directors were sued for ripping off a woman's sci fi script and had to pay out since the resemblances were too great. If that's true then the first film was actually stolen and the other 2 were the ones they created.

Which would explain a lot.

5 seconds on Google.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RBA Starblade posted:

If you hold The Animatrix as canon, it is possible to free yourself from the Matrix without outside interference. The annoying kid who follows Neo around like a puppy is one such person; it's why Neo says "I didn't save you, kid."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RBA Starblade posted:

Was The Matrix even planned to be a trilogy?

Clearly not. It's one of those "trilogies" where part 1 is its own story and parts 2 and 3 are another story that kind of shoehorns the first movie back into it. Star Wars is kinda like that too, but obviously did it better.

As for getting shot in the Matrix, I think it's because the Matrix directly interfaces with your brain, so the system tells your subconscious that it's all real even if you consciously know it's not. Pain is a creation of your own brain, so pain still hurts. Thus, when you die in the Matrix, the system just kills you somehow, possibly like how Cypher kills that albino androgyne in the first film; you just turn into a vegetable or something.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Clearly not. It's one of those "trilogies" where part 1 is its own story and parts 2 and 3 are another story that kind of shoehorns the first movie back into it. Star Wars is kinda like that too, but obviously did it better.
Speaking of which, the fact that Pirates of the Caribbean got spun off into a (still ongoing) franchise irritates me. The first film was great fun and worked fine by itself, it didn't need any sequels. Pretty much all of the third film irrationally irritates me, in particular.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It doesn't help that all of the Pirates movies past the first are pure dreck. Just loving terrible. I unreservedly enjoy the first movie but the others are really poor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think they could have made a really good Pirates sequel.

Emphasis on "a," though.

For my money this whole practice of "lets make two sequels simultaneously and poo poo them out back to back" does not work at all.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

No, not Sophia the other two guys. After checking google it was Grant Morrison who said they contacted him before the first movie and ripped off his comic book. He said he didn't really care though because he works 13 hour days making comics and he doesn't have enough energy to (but having even a million so he wouldn't work would be nice). Then there's some nobody claiming he submitted a few scripts to Warner brothers in the 90's under the name Thomas Althouse this summer...but he actually has the script copyrighted or whatever and registered with the writing guild.

Blegh. So many people wanting in on that lovely gravy train series of movies.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

As for getting shot in the Matrix, I think it's because the Matrix directly interfaces with your brain, so the system tells your subconscious that it's all real even if you consciously know it's not. Pain is a creation of your own brain, so pain still hurts. Thus, when you die in the Matrix, the system just kills you somehow, possibly like how Cypher kills that albino androgyne in the first film; you just turn into a vegetable or something.

In Brainstorm, there was a scene where Christopher Walken's character plays a brain tape of someone who died while recording it. He has to disable the cardiovascular and respiratory signals so that he doesn't die himself. Apparently this never occurred to anyone in The Matrix.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Or it just doesn't work that way? I get the impression that the humans have very little understanding of how the Matrix actually works and most of their technology was stolen and refitted from the machines. They put the needle in the hole that jacks into their brain stem because they don't know of any other way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always got the impression that Neo becoming "the One" at the end of the first film, as well as the psychic kids at The Oracle's place were supposed to represent transcending the machines' control over the brain and its psychosomatic reactions to matrix input. Like, it takes a lot of willpower and mental acumen to resist things like getting hurt in "real" life when you get hurt in the Matrix, which is where things like psychic ability and transcendental meditation come into the system. The movie (and its lesser sequels) does a really good job of not explaining things well that it thinks it does.

• Locked thread